Pelicans Report

Thread: Who is the nation's top point guard?

Max Contract Contributor AD23forMVP's Avatar

Who is the nation's top point guard?

http://insider.espn.go.com/mens-coll...op-point-guard

Was doing some research on Michael Carter-Williams, and came across this article.

Among the guys mentioned:
    Carter-Williams
    Nate Wolters
    Peyton Siva
    Trey Burke
    Marcus Smart
    CJ McCollum
    BJ Young
    Erick Green

Marcus Smart, no doubt in my mind.

Depends on what you're looking for. Scorer or distributor?

Quote Originally Posted by Redskin View Post
    Marcus Smart, no doubt in my mind.
    With out question. He is a straight up monster. The guy averages over 7 rebounds/game as a PG/SG. Scorer, distributor, defender, the whole 9. Kid is going to be a legit player in the NBA one day.

Quote Originally Posted by nolaslim213 View Post
    With out question. He is a straight up monster. The guy averages over 7 rebounds/game as a PG/SG. Scorer, distributor, defender, the whole 9. Kid is going to be a legit player in the NBA one day.
    I agree 100%. Kid can do it all and do it well.

Quote Originally Posted by Redskin View Post
    I agree 100%. Kid can do it all and do it well.
    A lot of people are comparing him to James Harden.

Quote Originally Posted by nolaslim213 View Post
    A lot of people are comparing him to James Harden.
    I can kinda see that, but I think he has the ability to play the 1 full-time.

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! Bee-Fense's Avatar
    Smart isn't bad but his low FG% and high turnovers concern me. 35.6% on all FGs 20.6% on 3's and 1.4 AST/TO ratio.. yikes. He seems to have a great nose for the ball and can really get to the line though. I've only seen footage from high school and his game against NC State. He reminds me of Rodney Stuckey and Kyle Lowry a bit. If he can add some consistency to his jumper than I think he could be a solid player in the NBA and produce in a lot of different categories. The fact he's also a really good kid and has OK State at 7-1 and #24 in the country are good signs for his work ethic and gives me confidence he becomes a better shooter (that and his solid FT%).

He's my favorite PG prospect but I still would have a hard time putting him in the top 10 on my big board. He can sneak in there with better shooting nights and/or OK State success.

Quote Originally Posted by Bee-Fense View Post
    Smart isn't bad but his low FG% and high turnovers concern me. 35.6% on all FGs 20.6% on 3's and 1.4 AST/TO ratio.. yikes. He seems to have a great nose for the ball and can really get to the line though. I've only seen footage from high school and his game against NC State. He reminds me of Rodney Stuckey and Kyle Lowry a bit. If he can add some consistency to his jumper than I think he could be a solid player in the NBA and produce in a lot of different categories. The fact he's also a really good kid and has OK State at 7-1 and #24 in the country are good signs for his work ethic and gives me confidence he becomes a better shooter (that and his solid FT%).

He's my favorite PG prospect but I still would have a hard time putting him in the top 10 on my big board. He can sneak in there with better shooting nights and/or OK State success.
    Legit conerns but he has a real good work ethic like you said. He is a good scorer, good at getting to the line and the rim. I feel confident he will improve his shooting percentages. And I also feel confident he will sneak into the top 7, maybe top 5 come draft day. He's only a freshman, and based off what he's shown I expect his numbers to continue to rise as the season goes on. I like him more as a prospect than I did Lilliard at this point last year. He has a well rounded game, where Lilliard had only proven he could score against mediocre competition.

The Voice of Reason Contributor RaisingTheBar's Avatar
    He is a freshman of course he is going to have a few issues he is still polishing his game.

I have been saying Trey Burke reminds me of Chris Paul since after last season. He's not as crafty and doesn't see the game like Chris does. However he's a slightly a better athlete and shooter than Chris was at this point. Other than that they are so similar in how they run a team and ability and stature.

You talk about work ethics this kid has it. He always seems to be underrated and has that chip on his shoulder because of it most of the great ones have.

Quote Originally Posted by da ThRONe View Post
    I have been saying Trey Burke reminds me of Chris Paul since after last season. He's not as crafty and doesn't see the game like Chris does. However he's a slightly a better athlete and shooter than Chris was at this point. Other than that they are so similar in how they run a team and ability and stature.

You talk about work ethics this kid has it. He always seems to be underrated and has that chip on his shoulder because of it most of the great ones have.
    Have we watched the same player? Trey Burke and Chris Paul should never be in the same sentence.

Quote Originally Posted by hornetstime247 View Post
    Have we watched the same player? Trey Burke and Chris Paul should never be in the same sentence.
    I don't know why not they both are ball dominant guards, undersized, guys equally comfortable scoring and assisting, dynamic in the PNR, the aren't the most physically gifted but, use their ball handing and change of gear to beat defenders, ultra competitive, can finish at the rim, both dictate the pace of the game, and both are intelligent player who take care of the ball.

Thread Information