Pelicans Report

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: 2018 NBA Draft: If there was ever a year to take...this would be it.

Quote Originally Posted by UNO Gracias View Post
    If you don't want to discuss the topic, don't come to the thread. Why do you feel that everyone who wants to discuss the topic should be denied the opportunity? What, it hurts your feelings?
    What are you talking about? Are we not discussing what you posted? Who is denying you any opportunity?

Pass-First Point Center Caffeinedisastr's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by PELICANSFAN View Post
    It makes absolutely no sense whatsoever to me for fans to want to trade a top 5-10 NBA talent who recently turned 24 for a bunch of ping pong balls. Rarely do teams hit on a talent such as AD (even if they have the #1 pick), so to give that up for a merely a chance/hope to find a good player makes no sense to me. I think too many just like the potential of the unknown.
    That talent alone hasn't helped us win.
    The front office has bumbled almost every chance to put together a good team around him.
    If they don't make the playoffs and Boogie jets, I can see Davis starting to wonder why he'd want to stick around.

I'll be clear on the fact that I'd only want to trade him if it's already getting to the point that we aren't winning with him and he's likely to bolt.
    In that scenario, I'm not holding him until we only get Oladipo/Sabonis offers.

Basketball Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by Caffeinedisastr View Post
    That talent alone hasn't helped us win.
    The front office has bumbled almost every chance to put together a good team around him.
    If they don't make the playoffs and Boogie jets, I can see Davis starting to wonder why he'd want to stick around.

I'll be clear on the fact that I'd only want to trade him if it's already getting to the point that we aren't winning with him and he's likely to bolt.
    In that scenario, I'm not holding him until we only get Oladipo/Sabonis offers.

the west is stack but i think we can make the playoffs if we are healthy........if we dont make the playoffs,,IMO i dont think its a sure thing that boogie leave....boogie may stay because demps and gentry should be fired.....a new GM and coach just may be the change those 2 need that play a different offense that gentry does.....so maybe a new coach can talk boogie into staying and build with AD.....

the new coach and GM will know their time is limited because they will have 3 years to put a winning team around AD to keep him here and for them to keep their jobs long term......and if boogie does leave,,a sign and trade maybe possible to send him where he wants to go if that team need space to sign him....

So yeah,,im all for not trading AD and letting him be here til he is able to leave on his own....

So many ifs. . .

How about let's see how this year plays out then we will have a much better idea of where we stand. There's way too much chicken little going on in here.

Jimeert Freedet 4 Prez IamQuailman's Avatar
    If people keep saying it, they can will it to be so.

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by PELICANSFAN View Post
    What are you talking about? Are we not discussing what you posted? Who is denying you any opportunity?
    This.

Quote Originally Posted by Fraunpetri View Post
    Can we stop with the trade Davis talk? It's bad enough most teams are salivating at the thought of the Boogie/Brow experiment failing but let's not preemptively crap on the team before the season's even begun? We as fans of the team should have some degree of hope and not constantly feed into this narrative. IF things don't work this season, THEN let's have these discussions. If you want to go play GM, fire up 2k and have at it. Even if Boston swapped us their entire team, coach, and draft picks, we would STILL have to figure out a way to beat the Warriors in the west. Let's give Boogie/Brow a chance.
    If you Jimmer it, they will come.

I pray we make playoffs.. I don't want to sit through another rebuild watching 19-21 year olds grow. Especially since we will have to trade them for more 19-21 year olds when they near their prime. If we can't win with the 2 best frontcourt players in the league and a top 5-7 backcourt, then what's the point in even caring?

You can discuss whatever you want but I as a fan am tired of fellow fans who feed this narrative. Too many of us have become gun-shy with CP leaving and a historically successful team like the Celtics keeps this fiction going to give their fanbase hope that they will land a huge fish with the tons of draft picks they've stockpiled. The reason those stories are put out there is to make us consider trading away probably the best player our franchise has ever had as well as provide click-bait during slow news months. Even AD admitted he's asked these questions from kids at his camp - do you think they just thought of it themselves or is this a story that has been shoved down our throats so many times the impressionable believe it could be true? I haven't and won't stop you from speculating about the AMAZING haul of unbelievable 18 year olds and role players we could get for our superstar but I wanted to point out how I don't believe we as fans should keep this crap going. You could follow the 76ers if you like potential; how many top draft picks has it taken for people to get excited about them?

Quote Originally Posted by 6warddude View Post
    the west is stack but i think we can make the playoffs if we are healthy........if we dont make the playoffs,,IMO i dont think its a sure thing that boogie leave....boogie may stay because demps and gentry should be fired.....a new GM and coach just may be the change those 2 need that play a different offense that gentry does.....so maybe a new coach can talk boogie into staying and build with AD.....

the new coach and GM will know their time is limited because they will have 3 years to put a winning team around AD to keep him here and for them to keep their jobs long term......and if boogie does leave,,a sign and trade maybe possible to send him where he wants to go if that team need space to sign him....

So yeah,,im all for not trading AD and letting him be here til he is able to leave on his own....
    This sounds like a good scenario with Boogie staying and he, AD & Jrue building for the future with a new front office.
    The thing that hamstrings this however, is that Boogie re-signing would give us another player getting paid more than Davis.
    That doesn't allow for capspace for anyone else.

Quote Originally Posted by Fraunpetri View Post
    You can discuss whatever you want but I as a fan am tired of fellow fans who feed this narrative. Too many of us have become gun-shy with CP leaving and a historically successful team like the Celtics keeps this fiction going to give their fanbase hope that they will land a huge fish with the tons of draft picks they've stockpiled. The reason those stories are put out there is to make us consider trading away probably the best player our franchise has ever had as well as provide click-bait during slow news months. Even AD admitted he's asked these questions from kids at his camp - do you think they just thought of it themselves or is this a story that has been shoved down our throats so many times the impressionable believe it could be true? I haven't and won't stop you from speculating about the AMAZING haul of unbelievable 18 year olds and role players we could get for our superstar but I wanted to point out how I don't believe we as fans should keep this crap going. You could follow the 76ers if you like potential; how many top draft picks has it taken for people to get excited about them?
    It's not necessarily a narrative about potential.
    And it's realism to discuss superstars leaving. Alonzo Mourning, Larry Johnson, Chris Paul. (Who has really come to this team, succeeded and stayed?)

I think the focus is that:
    Even Lebron James and Michael Jordan needed help.
    Anthony Davis certainly needs the same, but the front office has screwed the start of his NBA career up so badly (in regards to how the team is built) that if the twin towers "experiment" fails we're gonna need to plan for the future.

And at this point in the league, a team full of solid-to-really good players and assets is good enough to make the playoffs (something we can't seem to do)
    and eventually attract the superstar you need to put it over the top.

It's a sad thing, but it's real.
    I'll enjoy it while it lasts.
    However long that is...

It's not necessarily a narrative about potential.
    And it's realism to discuss superstars leaving. Alonzo Mourning, Larry Johnson, Chris Paul. (Who has really come to this team, succeeded and stayed?)

I think the focus is that:
    Even Lebron James and Michael Jordan needed help.
    Anthony Davis certainly needs the same, but the front office has screwed the start of his NBA career up so badly (in regards to how the team is built) that if the twin towers "experiment" fails we're gonna need to plan for the future.

And at this point in the league, a team full of solid-to-really good players and assets is good enough to make the playoffs (something we can't seem to do)
    and eventually attract the superstar you need to put it over the top.

It's a sad thing, but it's real.
    I'll enjoy it while it lasts.
    However long that is...
    But a bunch of solid players around four all-stars is not good enough to make playoffs? When 2 of the all-stars are top 10 players?

Also it has never been the case where 2 allstar bigs have been on the same team and not made the playoffs. Randolph/Gasol, Horford/Millsap, Boozer/Noah, Boozer/Okur, Wallace/Wallace, Griffin/Jordan, Webber/Divac, Webber/Miller, Hibbert/West, Gasol/Bynum/Odom, Hakeem/Sampson, Duncan/Robinson. Bigs are and forever will be a premium in this league. And we have the 2 best in the entire league and possibly the most dynamic big pairing of all time, since they both can play like guards. I don't understand the pessimism behind this "experiment" failing when history suggests it has a 0% chance of that happening. 3pt shooting is nice but so is rebounding, paint defense and interior scoring.
    Last edited by HoustonPelicans; 08-18-2017 at 10:04 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by HoustonPelicans View Post
    I don't understand the pessimism behind this "experiment" failing when history suggests it has a 0% chance of that happening.
    When everyone makes it safely to their destination, no one bats an eye.
    When there's a car wreck, everyone stops and stares.

I hope we do make the playoffs and start a dynasty this year.
    But it's the slow point in the offseason, so it's all conspiracy theories and medical staff talk until 2K comes out.

When everyone makes it safely to their destination, no one bats an eye.
    When there's a car wreck, everyone stops and stares.

I hope we do make the playoffs and start a dynasty this year.
    But it's the slow point in the offseason, so it's all conspiracy theories and medical staff talk until 2K comes out.
    Lol true

The Franchise
    I don't have a problem throwing that as an idea. It's stupid slow for NBA talk so nothing wrong with filler conversation. I think everyone is on board for a playoff run but if we fall flat, what could be a move to fix it. I think we'll know by the all star break. Then depending on what's going on you can adjust.

Hypothetical (I don't want to get rid of either cousins or Davis but for conversation)
    A total rebuild should start at the trade deadline.
    1. If cousins makes it known he won't resign, trade him. I'm sure you could get a first and maybe a player
    2. Wait till after the draft lottery if you want to move Davis. Celtics 2 first and Tatum would be a good start
    3. Move Jrue if possible
    4. I take bad contracts for high pick and move to get as many first over the next 3 years.
    5. Plan to have as much money as you can for that 3rd year so all bad contracts should end there so you could potentially sign 2 really good players

Porter, Ayton, Jackson, Diallo, and Tatum would be a nice start to a rebuild if had to.

The season has yet to start, yet this board wants to talk "blow it all up" scenarios. All of which include the current flavor of the month--have an entire team full of 22 and under year olds.

Then when those guys turn 25, it's who can we trade them to for some draft picks---the great wonder.

Jesus how sad.

The thing is there is no plan B. There are no more contingency plans. We are in do or die territory. If we lose 2 top 10 players, there is no coming back. That would be a death blow to a Franchise that has been fighting to get off it's death bed. Fan morale would be in the gutter. The only choice would be to move the team. Benson is too old to sit through 5 more losing seasons watching 21 year olds. We will win this season not only because we're talented but also because we have to win. We shouldn't be wasting energy on contingency plans unless you plan on being Supersonic fans.

The Franchise
    I actually think we'll do awesome as in top 3 seed and this conversation was just that a fun conversation.

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! kinglio21093's Avatar
    NO MORE TANKING. My god I'm so tired of being the ****** of the Southwest division.

SKOL! SKOL! SKOL! SKOL! Imnos 2's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by tdcreator View Post
    I don't have a problem throwing that as an idea. It's stupid slow for NBA talk so nothing wrong with filler conversation. I think everyone is on board for a playoff run but if we fall flat, what could be a move to fix it. I think we'll know by the all star break. Then depending on what's going on you can adjust.

Hypothetical (I don't want to get rid of either cousins or Davis but for conversation)
    1. If cousins makes it known he won't resign, trade him. I'm sure you could get a first and maybe a player
    2. Wait till after the draft lottery if you want to move Davis. Celtics 2 first and Tatum would be a good start
    3. Move Jrue if possible
    4. I take bad contracts for high pick and move to get as many first over the next 3 years.
    5. Plan to have as much money as you can for that 3rd year so all bad contracts should end there so you could potentially sign 2 really good players

Porter, Ayton, Jackson, Diallo, and Tatum would be a nice start to a rebuild if had to.
    This is very depressing convo that I'm not ready to have nor believe will something we'll have to do. BUT my opening demand in exchange for AD would be for 5 picks. Whatever combo you want to do. As long as I'm getting at least 3 #1's. Especially from Celtics. You want him its going to cost you. They owe us just for the stupid fake trade scenarios alone.

Like I tell people, there may be only one player I would trade Davis for and that's LeBron. And I still may ask for a #1 as well.

I actually think we'll do awesome as in top 3 seed and this conversation was just that a fun conversation.
    Top 3 is not realistic.. unless we get traded to the Eastern Conference

3. Move Jrue if possible

Dell is fighting for his job. Hard to think what can happen to let him trade Boogie (during the season).
    If DMC won't work - he will (and should) be fired immediately...

I understand deliberating about ideas - but two things remain.

The only way that Boogie will be traded during the season will mean dumpster fire inside the Pels.
    Dell and Alvin are working hard to make Boogie happy. They even allowed his little brother to train with them.
    TBH don't see any way where he will be traded during the season. He wants to see what to expect from the franchise. He may qualify there for the PO. He can earn most money in PEls uniform.
    Also - he may buy into DoItBig thing...

As to Jrue. He is owed 25-26 millions per year. With additional 2,4 millions of likely incentives.
    Try to move it....

Maybe if he will play at the All Star level.
    But still - he is seen as injury prone player leaguewide.

It will take at least one year to believe (for others) - that his injuries are past him...

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!!
    Its like Pelicans fans are traumatized and just can't bear to root for the team to actually win.

Quote Originally Posted by Topdawg26 View Post
    We are going to trade our 1st round pick. The most certain things in life are death, taxes, and Dell traded away our 1st round pick!
    SO TRUE

Thread Information