Pelicans Report

Thread: 3 team Trade idea (long read)

The Franchise

Trade Idea 3 team Trade idea (long read)

I’m starting with the Suns because I believe this can happen if they are truly trying to tank and build this team through the draft. Bledsoe supposedly isn’t in the long term plans and I’m not sure how they feel about TJ Warren but this is my starting point. I’d offer them a first round pick this year and in 2020 both unprotected or top 3 protected and pick swap rights for 2019 along with Asik and Moore for Bledsoe and Warren. Supposedly, this week they were bringing in SG's (traded for Daniels) Moore could still help fill this spot. Asik while not worth much could be a decent backup if healthy and if not they may be able to supplement his pay with insurance money. Essentially giving up a first and pick swap rights to dump Asik and a first for Bledsoe. If you can get Warren and that’s a big if, it would be the icing on the cake.

The second team I’m calling is the Magic. I’m not sure their direction but if they are willing to listen, I think a deal could be done. Here is the kicker (Cousins won’t be happy), I’m sending Bledsoe, Ajinca, and Crawford for Elfrid Payton, Henzonja, and Vucevic. I’m looking for depth and potential players that can be moved if needed. I’m sure you’re asking why Payton? Two reasons, I really like local talent (could generate more local sales) and we need another PG which he is the same type of player as Rondo. Vucevich and Hezonja are just backups but I’m hoping paired with Payton on the second squad they keep their chemistry. This move also save us about 5 million dollars to use in case of injuries.

Line ups
    I think we start with Rondo, Jrue, Miller, AD, and Cousins. We have shown in the past that we would put a young player in with the starters just to have a good rotation of experience and youth. Cunningham and Clark should be the first subs off the bench. The second unit would consist of Payton, Clark, Hezonja, Cunningham, and Vucevich. This unit could play the last 3 minutes of first and third and first 3 minutes of second and fourth. Then sprinkle in Tony Allen for some of those defensive stops. Jackson and Hill when they come back will only strengthen the first and second units.

Cap Space
    All the moves are all about winning now but we’ve moved some of our bad contract for expiring contracts or movable parts. The good part about the move is Payton will be restricted Free Agents so if the price got to high we could let him walk or if we feel he could become a part of the core (replacing Rondo), sign him to a long-term deal. Vucevich would probably need to be moved after this year so we could resign Cousins and some other free agents namely Rondo, Payton, and Clark but either way he should be easier to move than Asik. Henzonja is young and on a rookie deal and if he doesn’t fit should be able to be moved easily. This initial move saves us roughly 5 million this year to make a few moves at the trade deadline for uneven trades. I really hate trading first round picks but listening to Bird Writes Podcast, we won’t be able to afford the first this year if we resign Cousins so essentially we are creating cap space for next summer.

I don't mean to sound mean spirited but I pretty much don't like any aspect of any of this idea. Asik and Moore for Bledsoe and Warren would be a great deal, except I have no confidence that anyone would take Asik: even the Suns. You mention that he could be a decent backup if healthy, but that's a very big if, and even when he was healthy for us he wasn't what many people would call decent. Can't see the Sun's biting on that, really.

I'm even less confident about the second proposal involving the Magic. I have absolutely no idea why you would trade Bledsoe for Payton, especially given you mentioning that it would probably upset Boogie which is the last thing we want to be doing right now. Hezonja looks to be a complete typical bust and I honestly don't rate his potential very highly. Us taking him would be a plus for the Magic, in my opinion, and if they were to take Bledsoe they would already be the runaway winners in this trade: especially given Vucevic's inability to play any form of defense, which would be a strong negative on our team which looks to be built around having a strong and grinding defense.

As for cap and next year's situation, I do understand where you're coming from on saving us some cap this year and moving forward, but the whole point of cap is to sign players who you would want on your team: these trades ruin continuity (which is a big part of most successful teams), lose long term assets (our pick), lose quality players (Bledsoe, if the Sun's trade somehow happened, Moore) for a subpar return (Hezonja and Payton), and in my opinion decrease the chance of resigning Cousins next year which is obviously our biggest priority.

Equally, I'm running on very little sleep so I could have well missed something obvious and therefore everything I've said could be irrelevant. So take it with a grain of salt, but imo I don't like these moves.

Quote Originally Posted by Pelicanidae View Post
    I don't mean to sound mean spirited but I pretty much don't like any aspect of any of this idea. Asik and Moore for Bledsoe and Warren would be a great deal, except I have no confidence that anyone would take Asik: even the Suns. You mention that he could be a decent backup if healthy, but that's a very big if, and even when he was healthy for us he wasn't what many people would call decent. Can't see the Sun's biting on that, really.

I'm even less confident about the second proposal involving the Magic. I have absolutely no idea why you would trade Bledsoe for Payton, especially given you mentioning that it would probably upset Boogie which is the last thing we want to be doing right now. Hezonja looks to be a complete typical bust and I honestly don't rate his potential very highly. Us taking him would be a plus for the Magic, in my opinion, and if they were to take Bledsoe they would already be the runaway winners in this trade: especially given Vucevic's inability to play any form of defense, which would be a strong negative on our team which looks to be built around having a strong and grinding defense.

As for cap and next year's situation, I do understand where you're coming from on saving us some cap this year and moving forward, but the whole point of cap is to sign players who you would want on your team: these trades ruin continuity (which is a big part of most successful teams), lose long term assets (our pick), lose quality players (Bledsoe, if the Sun's trade somehow happened, Moore) for a subpar return (Hezonja and Payton), and in my opinion decrease the chance of resigning Cousins next year which is obviously our biggest priority.

Equally, I'm running on very little sleep so I could have well missed something obvious and therefore everything I've said could be irrelevant. So take it with a grain of salt, but imo I don't like these moves.
    This
    CAW CAW!!!

-Founder and valuable member of the Caw Caw Boyz-

Quote Originally Posted by Pelicanidae View Post

Yep.

The Franchise
    Your more than welcome to disagree. I appreciate that you showed why you disagree and just didn't say what a stupid idea. What I like is Payton is a player like rondo so you wouldn't have to change your play calling. As for the 3 new players it shouldn't affect chemistry that much since they aren't starting plus those 3 would play together and have some chemistry together. Henzonja may not be great but he has the size to switch on 2 and 3's. Still the idea is to have a clean slate in the cap to make better moves going forward. still thanks for feedback and feel free to post other ideas.

Quote Originally Posted by tdcreator View Post
    Your more than welcome to disagree. I appreciate that you showed why you disagree and just didn't say what a stupid idea. What I like is Payton is a player like rondo so you wouldn't have to change your play calling. As for the 3 new players it shouldn't affect chemistry that much since they aren't starting plus those 3 would play together and have some chemistry together. Henzonja may not be great but he has the size to switch on 2 and 3's. Still the idea is to have a clean slate in the cap to make better moves going forward. still thanks for feedback and feel free to post other ideas.
    And I appreciate that you didn't take their disagreement personally. We need more posters like you.

"I'm not going to allow my putative owner to answer that question, this is an NBA related press conference. Paul Tagliabue and Roger Goodell have collectively sung their praises of Tom and if uh ESPN has a problem with that tell Mr. Skipper to call me at my office."

Be honest- how much did Payton being a UL-Lafayette guy factor into this? Lol, see you're from the nearby city of Kaplan

The Franchise
    Lol more than a little but was trying to think outside the box and get rid of contracts.

Thread Information