Pelicans Report

Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 LastLast

Thread: 2003 NBA Free Agency: Sources!

Quote Originally Posted by janjanjanjan3 View Post
    That is the main reason I was pushing for the one year deals to be untradeable, in the NBA a player on a 1 year deal can veto any trade

if we dont implement this rule, we will see more GMs follow the knicks in just giving out 1 year deals every year and trading it mid-season for better assets
    Yeah but how many players veto trades from teams who dont want them? The game doesn't get "tricked" into thinking 1 year is better everytime either. Hardaway signed with me when the Sonics offered way more so that was just random. I offered a 1 yr max to Glenn Robinson and Penny, they took longer deals

And I gave Marshall a 1 yr max, so I doubt he had any better options. He is 30, not 36, he can make the max deal this year and still probably get a nice longer deal next. I would be shocked if a real NBA player in his situation didnt take that

I just made good moves and gave myself tons of flexibility and people get butthurt and want to penalize me for it. I have to re-sign 4 star players in a couple seasons, so Im smart enough to build a contender, and still keep my flexibilty and not give out bad long term deals like other people

Quote Originally Posted by AD23 View Post
    Yeah but how many players veto trades from teams who dont want them? The game doesn't get "tricked" into thinking 1 year is better everytime either. Hardaway signed with me when the Sonics offered way more so that was just random. I offered a 1 yr max to Glenn Robinson and Penny, they took longer deals

And I gave Marshall a 1 yr max, so I doubt he had any better options. He is 30, not 36, he can make the max deal this year and still probably get a nice longer deal next. I would be shocked if a real NBA player in his situation didnt take that

I just made good moves and gave myself tons of flexibility and people get butthurt and want to penalize me for it. I have to re-sign 4 star players in a couple seasons, so Im smart enough to build a contender, and still keep my flexibilty and not give out bad long term deals like other people
    Pulling out the "butthurt" comment? I seriously thought the internet was done with that. The only thing you've won has been the lottery. Keep patting yourself on the back for setting yourself up with "flexibility" and "good moves"
    #FREEQUAIL

Quote Originally Posted by HornetsFaninKY View Post
    Pulling out the "butthurt" comment? I seriously thought the internet was done with that. The only thing you've won has been the lottery. Keep patting yourself on the back for setting yourself up with "flexibility" and "good moves"
    lol that wasnt even directly aimed at you

I was inactive the 1st season, then started a rebuild, ever heard of one?
    hmm lets see:

core of 4 future allstars? yep
    Keith Van Horn for Amare? yep
    Kenyon Martin for Richard Jefferson? yep
    Gary Payton for a bunch of pieces including K-Mart? yep
    Dumping bad players so I can make you butthurt?

Lol butt hurt. You are who we thought you were . Doesn't matter who it was directed at, matters it was directed and said.
    Last edited by BallSoHard; 11-29-2012 at 01:52 PM.

"I don't know if people know — I dislocated my pinkie finger. And [Tyreke] told me, 'You wanna go home or you wanna be here?' I want to be here. And he said, 'All right, then go tape it up and let's play. Let's go. We not stoppin' at no stores. Straight gas. That's what we do, just keep going.'"

http://thebasketbawlblog.com/

Quote Originally Posted by AD23forMVP View Post
    I told you he didn't have bird years after you declined him the first go around, your max was like 590K a year.
    Purely out of curiousity I'm not too worried about it Lamond Murray and Marshall are similar players, but do you lose his bird years after declining the first go around, that doesn't make sense to me and I don't see it written anywhere

Geaux Hornets! Contributor PrepP's Avatar
    UPDATE: (11/29/12 11:27 AM)

Jazz sign Jonathan Bender.
    Wizards sign David Harrison.
    Sonics sign Darrell Armstrong.
    Celtics sign Lamond Murray.
    Blazers sign Jahidi White.
    Pacers sign Morris Peterson.
    76ers sign Erick Dampier.
    Suns sign Ron Artest.
    Blazers sign Christian Laettner.
    Celtics sign Walter McCarty.
    Lakers sign Shawn Bradley.
    Nobody want to play for me..........

HEY i finally got one !
    #FREEQUAIL

Pelicans Sim League

2007-08 Record:15-11 winning!
    PG:Mo Williams SG: Larry Hughes SF: Grant Hill
    PF: Antoine Walker C: Greg Oden
    6th man: Ben Gordon

#FREEQUAIL

The Knicks are a franchise that try to take advantage of vulnerable teams and have done a good job of doing it. The GM has been active in one-sided trades. Teams who trade with him only have themselves to blame unfortunately.

Emeka Okafor - Joe Smith - Carmelo Anthony - Manu Ginobili - Jason Williams

Al Jefferson - James Posey - Aaron McKie - Shaun Livingston

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! wuggie's Avatar
    I remember people complaining about my deal with him for KMart. I got rid of Jarics horrible contract that is at 5 mil this season when his production was non existent and still is. Team improved and got to the second round.
    Last edited by wuggie; 11-29-2012 at 03:00 PM.

R.I.P. to HunnyB/FlyGirl

Quote Originally Posted by wuggie View Post
    I remember people complaining about my deal with him for KMart. I got rid of Jarics horrible contract that is at 5 mil this season when his production was non existent and still is. Team improved and to the second round.
    That one wasnt really a bad deal.

was the "butthurt" directed at me? LOL

It is true that in the NBA we dont see much of players vetoing a trade because of their no-trade-clause, it is because they veto it privately before the trade was even finalized. I'm not saying you violated anything, you just found a loophole and abused it. does that make me butthurt? LOL second season champion

All I wanted is for teams not to have the flexibility of trading the 1 year deals. you say that youd probably keep Payton and Marshall, im not against that, what i dont want is for you to have the option of trading them for more assets IF the Marshall-Payton experiment doesnt work

Quote Originally Posted by PrepP View Post
    Nobody want to play for me..........
    Join the club.
    Quote Originally Posted by Conroy View Post
    I feel like I'm wasting my time compared to Sound.
    Quote Originally Posted by NOLa. View Post
    I think Sound just upped the standards in the league.
    GM of the Year

Max Contract Contributor AD23forMVP's Avatar
    Please dont' take this wrong way AD23 (I still want to call you CP3) I'm really taking my frustration out on Knicks and am not mad at you at all. But I wasn't aware the contracts I was offering were invalid until yesterday. Did rejecting his intitial offer eliminate his bird years?

If a player is resigning with his previous team and has 3 or more bird years:

1) The contract can be for up to 7 seasons.

2) The player can receive a raise each year of up to 12.5% of the value of the first year of the contract

3) The player can receive the larger of the maximum salary based on his experience and 120% of his previous salary in the first year of the contract.

Marshall has 3 bird years.
    You know, there are some rules that people don't like and speak out on. I disagree with a lot of these people.

But this time, I agree with you. Unfortunately I can really only think of one way to do resignings, and that is to accept all contracts then go back and delete them if people don't want to accept that deal. Sadly this basically deletes who the guy last played for and you lose his bird rights, this is what happened with you. Marshall deal accepted by me, you decline, and now you can't go over the cap to resign him. Another one of your players, Greg Ostertag, didn't have a contract for you to accept/decline meaning you kept the rights to being able to exceed the cap to resign him.

People need to remember this game was made in 2000 or 2001, it's outdated and definitely has its flaws.

You would be shocked if a guy who is 30 and probably enjoys playing basketball could sign a longterm 6 year deal on a team he's played on last 3 years when his "ratings" emphasize loyalty and is not "greedy" at all would sign with this team who is full of veterans and just won a championship? Versus signing 1 year deal on a team full of young guys who have never made the playoffs?

You know, there are some rules that people don't like and speak out on. I disagree with a lot of these people.

But this time, I agree with you. Unfortunately I can really only think of one way to do resignings, and that is to accept all contracts then go back and delete them if people don't want to accept that deal. Sadly this basically deletes who the guy last played for and you lose his bird rights, this is what happened with you. Marshall deal accepted by me, you decline, and now you can't go over the cap to resign him. Another one of your players, Greg Ostertag, didn't have a contract for you to accept/decline meaning you kept the rights to being able to exceed the cap to resign him.

People need to remember this game was made in 2000 or 2001, it's outdated and definitely has its flaws.
    That's fine at least I understand now, and everyone will know if you decline that initial resigning you lose the bird rights, which adds to the decision making process.

It's a fair rule, because in real life there would be a cap hold until he renounces the player. The thing that sucks is its not in the rules.

Quote Originally Posted by janjanjanjan3 View Post
    was the "butthurt" directed at me? LOL

It is true that in the NBA we dont see much of players vetoing a trade because of their no-trade-clause, it is because they veto it privately before the trade was even finalized. I'm not saying you violated anything, you just found a loophole and abused it. does that make me butthurt? LOL second season champion

All I wanted is for teams not to have the flexibility of trading the 1 year deals. you say that youd probably keep Payton and Marshall, im not against that, what i dont want is for you to have the option of trading them for more assets IF the Marshall-Payton experiment doesnt work
    Everyone who keeps complaining about my moves, til they get a new rule directed at me, which will put another dumb restriction on everyone. A couple people even come in my thread trying to convince people not to deal with me.....

Why would Hardaway or Van Horn block a deal where they leave a bad team and become starters?

And I dont see what loophole I found. I wanted Hardaway, I actually meant to rescind the Van Horn offer. Hardaway had a much better offer and signed with me for some reason. My team ended up bombing so I didn't have much reason to keep them. If anything you should be happy I signed him and glad I didnt tank, as a few more losses mightve got me Wade.

This year again I wasnt gonna give 35 year old Payton a multiple year deal when he is probably gonna retire soon. For Marshall I was worried someone was gonna make a bigger long-term offer than I was willing to give, so I just gave him 1 yr max
    Last edited by speedyG; 11-29-2012 at 08:55 PM.

GM Mr. KY: ARE YOU FREAKIN SERIOUS!!! The Knicks!?!? Is that who you want to play for!?! They've never been to the playoffs, have loaded their team with lottery picks on small contracts and treat every offseason never rewarding a player with a longterm deal!? It's a mockery of the system and belittles all the hard work we do as General Managers trying to build teams. He's had the #2 pick in the draft and followed that up with getting the #1 and #2 pick in the draft THE NEXT YEAR!?!?! Only the Tanking Nuggets have a worse overall record since this league has started. The Knicks have 90 total wins in 3 years, we were ready to win 90 games next season alone (playoffs included). By the way THANKS Nuggets and Magic for tanking and then just allowing teams to unload contracts for a few measley points allowing these types of deals to happen. It's a joke and it's unfortunate Gary and Donyell were taken advantage of.
    Actually yeah take that as directly aimed at you. I wanted Marshall and was able to give him a better deal, get over it. The only position I am not set at is SG, which I thought I was before with Rip but that didn't work out, and the only SG I thought worth a big-long deal this year was SJax, who got a max deal. If I'm going to pay a 6 year max I'll wait for someone better. I'm "making a mockery of the system and belittling your hard work" by not giving out stupid long contracts? lol you mad?

You would be shocked if a guy who is 30 and probably enjoys playing basketball could sign a longterm 6 year deal on a team he's played on last 3 years when his "ratings" emphasize loyalty and is not "greedy" at all would sign with this team who is full of veterans and just won a championship? Versus signing 1 year deal on a team full of young guys who have never made the playoffs?

That's fine at least I understand now, and everyone will know if you decline that initial resigning you lose the bird rights, which adds to the decision making process.
    depends on the deal, which you couldn't offer anyway
    Last edited by speedyG; 11-29-2012 at 09:10 PM.

I traded the Knicks one late 1st rounder for 4 first rounders, a 2nd rounder and Corey Maggette lol let's stop pumping up a guy who's never made the playoffs and act like he's done anything special as a GM

Quote Originally Posted by hornetstime247 View Post
    I traded the Knicks one late 1st rounder for 4 first rounders, a 2nd rounder and Corey Maggette lol let's stop pumping up a guy who's never made the playoffs and act like he's done anything special as a GM
    that pick allowed me to get out of Jarics contract, Maggette sucks, and I gave 3 picks not 4, which all look like they are gonna be worthless, congrats lol. that was the only semi-bad trade I made which everyone was saying you got ripped off, so Im guessing they would've done it too
    Last edited by speedyG; 11-29-2012 at 08:52 PM.

Its a fake article about a fake sim league don't give yourself too much credit or get too excited about butthurting people, something you seem to be proud of for some strange reason. Its a moot point since I couldnt resign Marshall, something I just found tonight. And thank you for the you mad comment you have come full circle in overused stupid internet phrases.

People obviously enjoy this league its active there is a waiting list to join and it appears a lot of people don't like what you're doing but go ahead keep being yourself you're clearly making a lot of friends in the process.

Its a fake article about a fake sim league don't give yourself too much credit or get too excited about butthurting people, something you seem to be proud of for some strange reason. Its a moot point since I couldnt resign Marshall, something I just found tonight. And thank you for the you mad comment you have come full circle in overused stupid internet phrases.

People obviously enjoy this league its active there is a waiting list to join and it appears a lot of people don't like what you're doing but go ahead keep being yourself you're clearly making a lot of friends in the process.
    And you dont get too angry about a fake game, "It's a mockery of the system and belittles all the hard work we do as General Managers trying to build teams."- seriously who writes this ****? you are obviously the one too wrapped up in the fake game. You took a shot at me and I responded to your bs and this is all you can come back with since you were way off

And you dont get too angry about a fake game, "It's a mockery of the system and belittles all the hard work we do as General Managers trying to build teams."- seriously who writes this ****? you are obviously the one too wrapped up in the fake game. You took a shot at me and I responded to your bs and this is all you can come back with since you were way off
    You see the other 15 threads people have posted as a "media session" with"quotes" from gms and other sources like jay z you know that's not really jay z tweeting right? You see those detailed, funny first take posts? Stephen A and Skip Bayless aren't actually logging on and posting on hr.com during commercial breaks you comprehend all of this right?

You see the other 15 threads people have posted as a "media session" with"quotes" from gms and other sources like jay z you know that's not really jay z tweeting right? You see those detailed, funny first take posts? Stephen A and Skip Bayless aren't actually logging on and posting on hr.com during commercial breaks you comprehend all of this right?
    was your post supposed to be funny or something? ehhh. you realize the entire game is fake right? you arent really an NBA GM right? you respond to what I do/say in a fake game and I answer what you said, try and keep up

Man, you two would do well in another sim game I used to play. You win based on trash talk!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fantasy...me_derivatives

Quote Originally Posted by The JNR View Post
    Man, you two would do well in another sim game I used to play. You win based on trash talk!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fantasy...me_derivatives
    Aaannnndddd.... being linked to a fantasy wrestling match has given me the motivation to be done with this argument. It accomplished nothing, was ridiculous, and I'm glad I was apart of it. Ill leave my final thoughts as a 1 year max contract was given to a player who will come of the bench that just seems like some failed logic to me.

Thread Information