Pelicans Report

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: The benching of Boogie

Quote Originally Posted by NMThreeMVP View Post
    1. It's 9 games after a trade in the middle of the season in which the Pels gave up 3 rotation pieces (4 if you count Jones).
    2. The Pelicans 10 day guys and role players have been terrible during that stretch for the most part
    3. The only other guy on the team that has any sort of expectation of being a reliable starter, Jrue Holiday, has played his worse basketball during this post All Star stretch
    4. The coaching staff is being asked to go against the grain of the modern NBA and play 2 supremely talented big men together at the same time, with minimal practice time.

But sure, let's rush to being the first ones out the gate with the everything sucks hot take, because it's important to be first on a message board.

Meanwhile, Jordan Crawford gives us everything we'd hoped for from Buddy Hield and the Kings have loss 8 in a row since trading for Buddy. Buddy must suck!

Gentry may not be the right coach for this team if it's going to be build around AD/DC and Jrue. But it's far too early to be so righteously opposed to the idea that this will work itself out in time.
    Very good post!

Y'all seem to forget how awful Miami was at the beginning with James, Wade and Bosh and they had the whole summer together and they were not going against the grain and playing with just signed Dleaguers

Quote Originally Posted by hornetsrebirth View Post
    "benching" doesn't seem like the right word. Cousins got in foul trouble so he had to come out the game. The team got something of a rhythm going so there was no reason to bring him back in and foul out.
    Exactly. This entire thread is built on a false premise by the OP. He was not "benched".

Quote Originally Posted by Mythrol View Post
    What does this have to do at all with the team we are putting on the court? This is about Cousins supposed "benching", not about long term viability of the Pelicans in New Orleans. Win and the bandwagon will follow. I don't really care about what our numbers are while fielding a bad team.

Read that!

http://www.pelicansreport.com/showth...ges-in-future&

Quote Originally Posted by RobertM320 View Post
    Exactly. This entire thread is built on a false premise by the OP. He was not "benched".
    Okay Alvin

I feel like you're missing the fact that defensive rules have changed making it easier to pack the paint and defend post ups and penetration if you're not able to space the court effectively.

You listed less than a dozen players that "can" play with their back to the basket, but most of them don't. Boogie CAN also play with his back to the basket, but none of the players you mentioned spend significant minutes playing back to the basket, and neither will Boogie. It's just not the way the game is played anymore. Randolph is probably the only player on your list that plays a traditional post up game, and Memphis has come to realize it's better for them to stagger Gasol and Zach.

Is there a team in the league today that runs even 10% of their offense through the post?
    Did you just watch when the Spurs played here? Did you see that game? They kept going to Aldridge in the post. AD could not guard him. Then when Toronto played here. Same thing with Valanciunas.

Saying a player plays "in the post" does not mean every shot is going to be a Kareem hook. But you definitely have teams that play inside out and get either layups or mid range jumpers. Memphis has only staggered their bigs because Zach is getting up there in age and they are simply trying to lessen his load. It's not like it was ancient times ago where they leaned on him heavily.

Also, for the 100th time, AD and Cousins are not typical big men. They don't clog the paint. That also doesn't mean they should be camping on the three point line or try to drive into the paint like guards 90% of the time either.

The Franchise Contributor luigi modelo's Avatar
    1. It's 9 games after a trade in the middle of the season in which the Pels gave up 3 rotation pieces (4 if you count Jones).
    2. The Pelicans 10 day guys and role players have been terrible during that stretch for the most part
    3. The only other guy on the team that has any sort of expectation of being a reliable starter, Jrue Holiday, has played his worse basketball during this post All Star stretch
    4. The coaching staff is being asked to go against the grain of the modern NBA and play 2 supremely talented big men together at the same time, with minimal practice time.

But sure, let's rush to being the first ones out the gate with the everything sucks hot take, because it's important to be first on a message board.

Meanwhile, Jordan Crawford gives us everything we'd hoped for from Buddy Hield and the Kings have loss 8 in a row since trading for Buddy. Buddy must suck!

Gentry may not be the right coach for this team if it's going to be build around AD/DC and Jrue. But it's far too early to be so righteously opposed to the idea that this will work itself out in time.
    ^ this

It's hard to believe having Davis and Cousins on the same team would be considered a "problem" for a decent coach. Then again, much of the blame also has to go to Demps, and his rudderless direction. In his 7 years, they are 229-313. There has also been 5 losing seasons in these 7 years, and they were first round eliminations in the other two. Demps has traded away first round picks for a "win now" approach, but they haven't won. The team he built was poor, but he tried to blame the coach by firing Monty. Gentry came in to run a Golden State style of offense, but it only got worse. Demps realized he would no longer be able to avoid blame for losing with both coaches, so he tired to save his job with a "hail mary," the Cousins trade. On paper, this might make Demps look good, but, to succeed, it will require taking the team in the exact opposite direction as Demps's prior plan with the Gentry. I would have fired Demps two years ago, when Monty was fired. I have not changed my opinion. Now, I would fire Demps and Gentry. It remains to be seen whether the Cousins trade could work out, but Gentry is the wrong coach for using the two of them together. Meanwhile, Demps doesn't deserve yet another chance.

The gm is supposed to acquire players that fit their coach's style, unless they are trying to get their coach fired. In that case, well played Demps. Benson needs to do himself (and the fans a solid) and run both of these guys off. They are ruining this franchise.
    If you Jimmer it, they will come.

Quote Originally Posted by jwashb9999 View Post
    It's hard to believe having Davis and Cousins on the same team would be considered a "problem" for a decent coach. Then again, much of the blame also has to go to Demps, and his rudderless direction. In his 7 years, they are 229-313. There has also been 5 losing seasons in these 7 years, and they were first round eliminations in the other two.
    Come on now stop it. You can hate on Demps but dont sit there and act like this franchise was even trying to win when he got here. Those first 3 years was nothing more than trying to rebuild from scratch and tanking on purpose.

And there was never a "win now" approach either.

How many "win now" years have we been through now? 3 or 4? Either someone doesn't understand the term "win now", or we have been getting bad intel.

Quote Originally Posted by UNO Gracias View Post
    How many "win now" years have we been through now? 3 or 4? Either someone doesn't understand the term "win now", or we have been getting bad intel.
    I think 7 in the Demps era

The gm is supposed to acquire players that fit their coach's style, unless they are trying to get their coach fired. In that case, well played Demps. Benson needs to do himself (and the fans a solid) and run both of these guys off. They are ruining this franchise.
    See Monty Williams?

Monty would have loved this team. Not saying he's the right guy but he's better than Gentry.

So many angles I can be ticked at Demps but this is a notable one.

He buit a team that was better built for a Gentry type coach for Monty.

Now he has built a team for Gentry that is better built for a Monty style coach.

I understand the Cousins trade was sort of a must do once in a career opportunity for a small market team, but it also just highlighted his porous job at putting together quality depth and complimentary pieces. Just having James Ennis, Omri Casspi, and not having sunk money into Asik/Ajinca could of created a situation where this trade could of hit the ground running(or at least not struggled this harshly) because we would have quality role players and depth or a much better cap situation going into the off-season.

I not a Gentry fan, but benching Boogie might help him get his s.....t together on the court. Stop complaining to the refs and play harder. Regardless of what coach we have next season. Boogie has to get in better shape mentally and physically. Then, with some off season moves to get some shooters. I don't think even Gentry can f...k this team up.
    Last edited by SaintPelican225; 03-12-2017 at 11:24 PM.

A Soulful Sports Fan Contributor Eman5805's Avatar
    Someone said it perfectly.

Demps found the perfect team for Monty two years after he fired him

And he had the perfect team for Gentry just before he hired him.

Love this post. I hope we keep Crawford. He's one of the shooters we need.

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!!
    Fake News!

Fake News!

Fake news? Seems disgusted to me. Certainly not smiling after that victory over the mighty Hornets. Maybe we can get Holiday to take a seat next?
    Last edited by Champ; 03-13-2017 at 02:53 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Eman5805 View Post
    Someone said it perfectly.

Demps found the perfect team for Monty two years after he fired him

And he had the perfect team for Gentry just before he hired him.
    I tend to agree.

Cousins quote:

"The team was in a good rhythm," Cousins said Monday. "They were playing a good stretch of basketball. I wasn't mad at all. We pulled out a good win. I'm not mad at all."

But no. Let's get this agenda of Gentry being an idiot going.

Speaking of Gentry this is what he had to say on it:

He's just like any other player," Gentry said of Cousins. "He wants to play in the fourth quarter, too. We just happened to be going pretty good. If we played 50 games, he's probably going to be in in the fourth quarter in 48 of them, or something.

"This is it; let's call it like it is," Gentry said. "We've got to do well this week. I think we've got 16 games left, seven at home total, I think. We just have to start winning games, and winning consistently, if we're going to have any chance at a playoff spot at all."

This team is trying to make the playoffs. Cousins was having an off game, the lineup Gentry had in was working, we got the win.

But because didn't get the win in the way SOME wanted it, we should all be up in arms? Get over yourself. I'm never going to pull for the Pels to lose and I'm going to be happy when we win.

Let's ignore the career night AD had because cousins played 9 fewer minutes than usual. Let's ignore the win because Cousins wasn't smiling enough for your tastes.

Quote Originally Posted by Champ View Post
    Fake news? Seems disgusted to me. Certainly not smiling after that victory over the mighty Hornets. Maybe we can get Holiday to take a seat next?
    Holiday did sit in a 4th last week already.

Quote Originally Posted by Mythrol View Post
    Cousins quote:

"The team was in a good rhythm," Cousins said Monday. "They were playing a good stretch of basketball. I wasn't mad at all. We pulled out a good win. I'm not mad at all."

But no. Let's get this agenda of Gentry being an idiot going.

Speaking of Gentry this is what he had to say on it:

He's just like any other player," Gentry said of Cousins. "He wants to play in the fourth quarter, too. We just happened to be going pretty good. If we played 50 games, he's probably going to be in in the fourth quarter in 48 of them, or something.

"This is it; let's call it like it is," Gentry said. "We've got to do well this week. I think we've got 16 games left, seven at home total, I think. We just have to start winning games, and winning consistently, if we're going to have any chance at a playoff spot at all."

This team is trying to make the playoffs. Cousins was having an off game, the lineup Gentry had in was working, we got the win.

But because didn't get the win in the way SOME wanted it, we should all be up in arms? Get over yourself. I'm never going to pull for the Pels to lose and I'm going to be happy when we win.

Let's ignore the career night AD had because cousins played 9 fewer minutes than usual. Let's ignore the win because Cousins wasn't smiling enough for your tastes.
    Outside Davis, team and Gentry is medocore. You just admitted it. Gentry practically said it.

Thread Information