Pelicans Report

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Demps on new training facility

The Franchise Contributor wopester's Avatar

Demps on new training facility

@FletcherMackel

Dell Demps on NBA TV: if our new practice facility isn't the biggest in the NBA, it'll be the 2nd biggest and ready next year.
    Good news! Also said it would be next to the Saints facility.

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! Trell's Avatar
    Hell yea!!!!! The guys deserve it! So amped now.

Benson.... making it happen!

Damn that was fast lol
    Hornets are further entrenching themselves into the city every day, love it.
    Where is this supposed to be built at tho?
    Jrue dat

The Voice of Reason Contributor RaisingTheBar's Avatar
    Sweeeeeeeet

Quote Originally Posted by Smow- View Post
    Where is this supposed to be built at tho?
    I believe PurpleHornet came up with this graphic back when the speculation on where they could put it came out

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	4zxgds.jpg 
Views:	170 
Size:	86.8 KB 
ID:	4307  

Quote Originally Posted by BP225 View Post
    I believe PurpleHornet came up with this graphic back when the speculation on where they could put it came out
    Legit. Demps is about right, doesn't look like it'll be the most convenient spot, but its better then the friggen Foodsta- er Alario Center lol

A Soulful Sports Fan Contributor Eman5805's Avatar
    ALso said this was the last year we'd be at Alario. SO it should be ready by next year? Oh hells yeah!

Irrational Optimist Contributor neworleanshoo's Avatar
    was hoping it'd be downtown but in the end really doesn't matter as long as it's top-knotch, and clearly there's a big benefit having it adjacent to the saints facility.

earhart will shoot the players out there pretty quick.

Can't wait to go to CiCi's and watch the construction.

Quote Originally Posted by neworleanshoo View Post
    was hoping it'd be downtown but in the end really doesn't matter as long as it's top-knotch, and clearly there's a big benefit having it adjacent to the saints facility.

earhart will shoot the players out there pretty quick.
    This is my sentiment. Sort of feels like a missed opportunity for downtown/champions square/sports district. Still...can't complain about a world class facility in metry.
    "Times are not good here. The city is crumbling into ashes. It has been buried under taxes and frauds and maladministraions so that it has become a study for archaeologists...but it is better to live here in sackcloth and ashes than to own the whole state of Ohio."

— Lafcadio Hearn (Inventing New Orleans: Writings of Lafcadio Hearn)

Escaped monkey island! all2neat's Avatar
    I still don't see why people care. It's not like the practice facility was going to host events or anything. It would be just another building people look at and wonder what it's like inside.

Quote Originally Posted by all2neat View Post
    I still don't see why people care. It's not like the practice facility was going to host events or anything. It would be just another building people look at and wonder what it's like inside.
    Because it's good for the team.

Because former players talk to prospective players about practice facilities.

Don't seem like anyone complains about the Saints facility being on Airline so why not put the Hornets' facility there too?

I care because I want the team with their OWN facility. Where they have movie theatre and junk. Don't ypu think Gordon thinks about the Clippers facility when in the Alario center? Lol

I think he means why do people care whether it's downtown or on Airline.

This has nothing to do with the fans. It's the impression around the league. Benson's transformation of the Hornets into the new brand is about washing the stink of the corner store style franchise Shinn ran and replacing it with a real professional organization. New brand, new direction, new facilities. Players do notice this. Trust me, when you bring a free agent to town and can drive him by the Saints facility, let him meet Brees or whoever, let him see the spiffy new facility, it makes an impression.

Where would we take them before? To Westwego. I don't wanna go to Westwego.

Quote Originally Posted by Eman5805 View Post
    This has nothing to do with the fans. It's the impression around the league. Benson's transformation of the Hornets into the new brand is about washing the stink of the corner store style franchise Shinn ran and replacing it with a real professional organization. New brand, new direction, new facilities. Players do notice this. Trust me, when you bring a free agent to town and can drive him by the Saints facility, let him meet Brees or whoever, let him see the spiffy new facility, it makes an impression.

Where would we take them before? To Westwego. I don't wanna go to Westwego.
    Well said, man. Completely agree. It's all about creating a new image and making the Hornets a more respected organization that players want to become a part of.

"I'm not going to allow my putative owner to answer that question, this is an NBA related press conference. Paul Tagliabue and Roger Goodell have collectively sung their praises of Tom and if uh ESPN has a problem with that tell Mr. Skipper to call me at my office."

I think people are blowing my statement out of proportion. Obviously a new training facility is a must, but what difference does it make if the new one is downtown or on airline next to the saints facility. I'd rather them build the best training facility on Airline then a midrange one downtown. The cost of the land downtown would have to be much higher.

I'm going to steal this from nolasportskrewe post

distances for some nba teams from their practice facility to their prospective arenas:

lakers: 15 miles
    clippers: 14-15 miles
    blazers: 13-15 mile range
    nola: 12 miles
    sacramento: on site
    golden state: 6 miles
    phoenix: on site
    utah: 3 miles
    denver: on site
    dallas: on site
    san antonio: 17-22 miles
    houston: 18 miles
    memphis: on site
    milwaukee: 7 miles
    chicago: 30 miles but will move downtown
    cleveland: 9 miles
    new york: 28 miles
    Last edited by all2neat; 10-04-2012 at 01:43 PM.

If you want to utilize and take advantage of Champions Square, you should push for a theater for preforming arts, or something that would host events year round yet not be sports related. You need to think outside of the box a little. I think our market is at its saturation point for sport teams so something to target a different crowd would help open up that area to more people than normal.

I think people are blowing my statement out of proportion. Obviously a new training facility is a must, but what difference does it make if the new one is downtown or on airline next to the saints facility. I'd rather them build the best training facility on Airline then a midrange one downtown. The cost of the land downtown would have to be much higher.
    Yea they are. Quick to jump on somebody on here like always. But your right, it does not make a hoot if it is in DT or on airline.

Quote Originally Posted by Trell View Post
    Can't wait to go to CiCi's and watch the construction.
    Post of the week.
    CAW CAW!!!

-Founder and valuable member of the Caw Caw Boyz-

People? My personality may be larger than life, but I'm just one man. Not out of proportion. Missed the context is all.

I don't care where the facility would be. I thought you wondered what difference did having a new facility period was.

I figured it'd be next to the Saints facility, so it would be easier for Benson to work with both his teams

Thread Information