Pelicans Report

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: Offseason 2015

Quote Originally Posted by Pantazis76 View Post
    I would say get rid of tyreke and gain continuity and try to upgrade C and SF.
    People underestimate this offseason because we made the playoffs we can do it again..
    Next year is gonna be harder, with a healthy OKC and i say our chances of making it next season is quite low unless we have a big offseason
    This team pretty much beat a healthy OKC twice. They can play with the best teams in the league. Don't be so scared of what we already have. It's the mental part that needs upgrades.

I like Ajinca to come back. He made a ton of strides this season and can even get better. Big if, but if he can avoid foul trouble, he's sure-fire starter.

Asik is probably worth around 8 million. I think he'll be back.

Emeka Okafor - Joe Smith - Carmelo Anthony - Manu Ginobili - Jason Williams

Al Jefferson - James Posey - Aaron McKie - Shaun Livingston

Quote Originally Posted by HornetGuru View Post
    He along with AD carried us into the playoffs and without him no way we make it.
    Yeah, that's not what happened.

and we wanna get rid of him.
    Credit to him for his toughness, because we can't win with him as a starter
    Last edited by Sovereign; 04-25-2015 at 11:21 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Pelicans78 View Post
    I like Ajinca to come back. He made a ton of strides this season and can even get better. Big if, but if he can avoid foul trouble, he's sure-fire starter.

Asik is probably worth around 8 million. I think he'll be back.
    I think Ajinca should come back exactly on the contract he has now. Unfortunately, i'd be willing to bet he gets overpaid.

This year per 36 Tyreke averaged 18-7-6 while shooting 45% front he field and 31% from 3 while posting a career best defensive rating. He along with AD carried us into the playoffs and without him no way we make it. And the dude is a freaking warrior and battled thru injuries and we wanna get rid of him.
    His total shooting% is only 51% which is not good. His defense did improve, but he's still not an effcient offensive player at this point and for a guy with his kind of usage, his presence can hurt the offense. I think he would be more efficient coming off the bench, but Jrue and Gordon need to stay healthy for that to happen.

Quote Originally Posted by Sleeper View Post
    We don't even make the playoffs this year without Tyreke.
    Or Q-Pon, or Cunningham, or Cole, or Asik, or Ajinca.

Getting to the playoffs was a team accomplishment and we couldn't have gotten there without everybody contributing

I think Ajinca should come back exactly on the contract he has now. Unfortunately, i'd be willing to bet he gets overpaid.
    His production as a backup was really good. Really efficient. PER of 19.9, WS/48 of 0.159 which is really good. His total win shares was 3.4 which nets about $5.44 million depending on which formula is used. Still think he's better as a backup since he gets into foul trouble at times.

Quote Originally Posted by Sovereign View Post
    Or Q-Pon, or Cunningham, or Cole, or Asik, or Ajinca.

Getting to the playoffs was a team accomplishment and we couldn't have gotten there without everybody contributing
    Exactly. So what's the argument? I think we can upgrade at the backup center. If our starting center is only going to play 25 minutes; i think that is where you upgrade.

We don't even make the playoffs this year without Tyreke. He is the only player it seems that stayed healthy most of this season and even played when not. I am biased for Tyreke because i am University of Memphis alum; but really he was second best player the majority of this year.

His ability to get to the rim is something we severely lacked when we had CP3.
    Debatable whether he was 2nd best. He was the most durable, but Asik and Gordon seemed important too. Gordon was better offensively than Tyreke while Asik brought more defense. I do agree Tyreke's value increased when Jrue go hurt, but long-term this team is better suited if Tyreke is a backup.

His production as a backup was really good. Really efficient. PER of 19.9, WS/48 of 0.159 which is really good. His total win shares was 3.4 which nets about $5.44 million depending on which formula is used. Still think he's better as a backup since he gets into foul trouble at times.
    That's why he will get paid and leave us. We can't afford him. We can use other pieces on out team to net us a center who can get points.

Exactly. So what's the argument? I think we can upgrade at the backup center. If our starting center is only going to play 25 minutes; i think that is where you upgrade.
    I wish Asik could be better offensively of efficient compared to guys like D. Jordan and Tyson Chandler, but his hands kill him on that end of the floor.

Debatable whether he was 2nd best. He was the most durable, but Asik and Gordon seemed important too. Gordon was better offensively than Tyreke while Asik brought more defense. I do agree Tyreke's value increased when Jrue go hurt, but long-term this team is better suited if Tyreke is a backup.
    Well. I'm not going to argue. If you watched every game, instead of looking at numbers.. You might change your tune.

That's why he will get paid and leave us. We can't afford him. We can use other pieces on out team to net us a center who can get points.
    We have too much money tied into our guards. Gordon contract is the real albatross which hinders the team from doing major upgrades. Tyreke is slightly overpaid. He's more of 7-8 million guy. Jrue was worth his salary if he could have stayed healthy. He was playing the most efficient ball of his career. We need him more than anyone outside of AD.

Quote Originally Posted by luckyman View Post
    This team pretty much beat a healthy OKC twice. They can play with the best teams in the league. Don't be so scared of what we already have. It's the mental part that needs upgrades.
    versing them, and beating them record wise is two different things.. A thunder with durant can win the championship so you can't say we can compete when we havent proven it yet

Well. I'm not going to argue. If you watched every game, instead of looking at numbers.. You might change your tune.
    I did watch every game, but he was hit or miss as well every game. Some games he would have good shooting nights and other games he would struggle. At times, he forces the action too much and impedes ball movement. He improved defensively this season, but offensively he has the ball way too much in his hands especially in key situations. Part of the problem is poor coaching as well as AD not demanding the ball enough as well as Jrue being injured.

AD for MVP 2016! pmarpelicansfan's Avatar
    We don't even make the playoffs this year without Tyreke. He is the only player it seems that stayed healthy most of this season and even played when not. I am biased for Tyreke because i am University of Memphis alum; but really he was second best player the majority of this year.

His ability to get to the rim is something we severely lacked when we had CP3.

I dont want us to get rid of Tyreke unless its for an even better option. Im fine with keeping him.

I just think we are better off having him coming off the bench with guys like Cole and Anderson.
    Coles a PG thats used to playing off ball and Anderson can be a great option at the 3 point line when the defense collapses on Tyreke.

Our first unit with Jrue back will benefit more having better ball movement at an uptempo pace,
    especially with 3 shooters on the perimeter in Gordon, Jrue and Qpon.

We have too much money tied into our guards. Gordon contract is the real albatross which hinders the team from doing major upgrades. Tyreke is slightly overpaid. He's more of 7-8 million guy. Jrue was worth his salary if he could have stayed healthy. He was playing the most efficient ball of his career. We need him more than anyone outside of AD.
    Being that Tyreke was one of the only ones to stay healthy, i'd argue that he worth the salary. Anything else is dead money.

Quote Originally Posted by Pantazis76 View Post
    versing them, and beating them record wise is two different things.. A thunder with durant can win the championship so you can't say we can compete when we havent proven it yet
    This Thunders team can't win it all even with a healthy Durant.

Being that Tyreke was one of the only ones to stay healthy, i'd argue that he worth the salary. Anything else is dead money.
    I agree about his durability. Being on the court counts for something.

Offseason 2015

I did watch every game, but he was hit or miss as well every game. Some games he would have good shooting nights and other games he would struggle. At times, he forces the action too much and impedes ball movement. He improved defensively this season, but offensively he has the ball way too much in his hands especially in key situations. Part of the problem is poor coaching as well as AD not demanding the ball enough as well as Jrue being injured.
    I agree that he played hero ball way too much. I think his slashing ability is usually only helpful in the middle of the game when the team doesn't have a game plan.

Not sure how to fix that though, because his ability to get to the rim is a huge part of our offense.
    Last edited by Sleeper; 04-25-2015 at 11:49 PM.

Koufos>Asik

I am fine moving forward with the sf combo of QPon and DC. If we can get DC back on a good price, we are fine at the sf spot. Not every team is going to have Lebron, Melo, Durant, or Leonard. For what we need from our 3 spot (good defense, 4th option on offense), those two have been plenty fine. If you want to make an upgrade then go for it, but its going to cost a lot more, and the improvement won't outweigh the price.

If Asik wants more than $9 mil you can trim the fat there. What he will command, and what he deserves are two different things, he can rebound, but he is a liability on the other end of the court. If you can save money by signing a Koufas, do you do it? I think the savings, and the lack of head scratchers on the offensive end would be worth it. What you lose on the boards (you gain in points and fewer to's).

I know we will be better wether we make moves or not, but everyone else will be better as well. The Thunder will be healthy, The Suns will be healthy, the Jazz will be better. Luckly the Spurs and Mavs have to get old, but for all the talk of us certainly making the playoffs next season, its no certainty given that the NBA doesn't operate in a vacuum where we are the only team improving.
    If you Jimmer it, they will come.

I agree that he played hero ball way too much. I think his slashing ability is usually only helpful in the middle of the game when the team doesn't have a game plan.

Not sure how to fix that though, because his ability to get to the rim is a huge part of our offense.
    The big way for it to improve is somehow get more fouls called and make more FTs. If he can do that, his efficiency will definitely improve.

This Thunders team can't win it all even with a healthy Durant.
    alright.. but my point is that no matter what we do, we ain't overcoming them for the playoff hunt, gosh

Offseason 2015

The big way for it to improve is somehow get more fouls called and make more FTs. If he can do that, his efficiency will definitely improve.
    That's hard to do when you are bigger than most of the people you are up against. One of the reason's many people thought he could play the three. I was one of them. I thought he would get to the line at a good clip.
    Last edited by Sleeper; 04-26-2015 at 12:02 AM.

Thread Information