Pelicans Report

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: The Pelicans Second Unit

Quote Originally Posted by nolaslim213 View Post
    I agree MM, and I think the place where people get into trouble on this topic is the fact that Monty didn't play him nearly enough minutes off the bench. When you and I say that we'd like to see him coming off the bench, it's only so that he can help the 2nd unit - not because he is a backup. We want him to come off the bench, but we also want him to get starter minutes! That's where the discrepancy is, I think, and Monty needs to be sure that if Reke is coming off the bench, he is getting over 30+ minutes every single game.
    Agree. I think last season was a learning experience with Monty and he has admitted as such.

If Tyreke is that effective with Ryno, you can't just play him 28 minutes per game. You have to give him more minutes.

But the narrative that Tyreke won't be good off the bench doesn't have support. Tyreke - whether starting or off the bench with guys like Aminu and Stiemsma will be horrible. But we don't have to worry about that this year! He can be effective in either role - you just have to get him at least 34 mins.
    @mcnamara247

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelMcNamara View Post
    Agree. I think last season was a learning experience with Monty and he has admitted as such.

If Tyreke is that effective with Ryno, you can't just play him 28 minutes per game. You have to give him more minutes.

But the narrative that Tyreke won't be good off the bench doesn't have support. Tyreke - whether starting or off the bench with guys like Aminu and Stiemsma will be horrible. But we don't have to worry about that this year! He can be effective in either role - you just have to get him at least 34 mins.
    Agreed. Surround him with shooters, and it doesn't matter WHEN he gets his minutes, so long as he DOES get his minutes.

Until Monty starts playing him 35 mins off the bench I'll continue saying he's wasted as a 6th man. Until Reke starts closing out games at guard instead of sf I'll also continue saying he's wasted off the bench.

Last yr while he had some good stretches off the bench his role wasn't nearly big enough and many times finished games on the bench watching or at sf standing in the corner. That is a waste.

But some seem to assume Monty will get it right this yr while I'm just going off how Monty has used him and I swear Monty himself last yr said Reke was better as a starter. Before Reke started towards the end of last season his mins off the bench were actually decreasing and many times was in the low to mid 20's while watching Roberts get to control the ball. A waste.

Paying a guy 11million per yr and not even playing him in his correct position is a waste. If he's going to be a 6th man then use him like OKC used Harden as a 6th man with big mins and a lot of time on the ball. No one seems to agree but i think Reke creating for Gordon would be successful but instead most want one or the other or Reke at sf next to Gordon.
    Last edited by SilkySlim; 10-06-2014 at 01:09 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by SilkySlim View Post
    Until Monty starts playing him 35 mins off the bench I'll continue saying he's wasted as a 6th man. Until Reke starts closing out games at guard instead of sf I'll also continue saying he's wasted off the bench.

Last yr while he had some good stretches off the bench his role wasn't nearly big enough and many times finished games on the bench watching or at sf standing in the corner. That is a waste.

But some seem to assume Monty will get it right this yr while I'm just going off how Monty has used him and I swear Monty himself last yr said Reke was better as a starter. Before Reke started towards the end of last season his mins off the bench were actually decreasing and many times was in the low to mid 20's while watching Roberts get to control the ball. A waste.

Paying a guy 11million per yr and not even playing him in his correct position is a waste. If he's going to be a 6th man then use him like OKC used Harden as a 6th man with big mins and a lot of time on the ball. No one seems to agree but i think Reke creating for Gordon would be successful but instead most want one or the other or Reke at sf next to Gordon.
    Until this season starts I'll keep spewing nonsense!!!!! Yar! Boogedyboo?!?!

If Monty keeps using him the way he did in the early part of last year, I will call him out. But I will take him at his word for now rather than assume he is lying or go back to a way he know doesn't work. Time will tell

I'm not one for speculation so i'm really excited to get actual game action to judge how Monty is going to use these guys now that he has a fairly complete roster. I would prefer Tyreke generally get more than 30 MPG, how much more is dependent on the flow of individual games.

If Monty keeps using him the way he did in the early part of last year, I will call him out. But I will take him at his word for now rather than assume he is lying or go back to a way he know doesn't work. Time will tell
    Did Monty publicly say he'd play Reke 35+ a night, on the ball instead of off while closing out games at guard instead of SF?

I apparently missed that. Where can I see that interview?

Quote Originally Posted by Mythrol View Post
    Until this season starts I'll keep spewing nonsense!!!!! Yar! Boogedyboo?!?!
    Apple cinnamon muffins with chocolate milk. Mythrol might want a side of balls though.

Quote Originally Posted by SilkySlim View Post
    Did Monty publicly say he'd play Reke 35+ a night, on the ball instead of off while closing out games at guard instead of SF?

I apparently missed that. Where can I see that interview?
    Do you have the interview where he said he wouldn't?

This is a fallacy called 'Argument from Ignorance'. Poor form.

Again, you can believe whatever you want about the future, but it hasn't happened yet, so I will wait and see. I was just trying to help you out by pointing out that the whole 'Tyreke is bad off the bench' is not even close to a universal truth. But believe whatever you want about the future. Thats on you.

I'm still confused why it matters if Reke has the ball in his hands at one wing as opposed to the other. That's basically the difference between SG and SF. But NO, he MUST get over 35min every night, and it MUST all be from a guard position rather than SF because that REALLY matters when he has the ball in his hands. . .

If not then Monty is obviously an idiot and a failure.

I'm still confused why it matters if Reke has the ball in his hands at one wing as opposed to the other. That's basically the difference between SG and SF. But NO, he MUST get over 35min every night, and it MUST all be from a guard position rather than SF because that REALLY matters when he has the ball in his hands. . .

If not then Monty is obviously an idiot and a failure.
    Positions are about who you defend. They mean almost nothing on offense. You can put a "PG" at the top of the key or a "SF"

Trust me - coaches don't talk about positions as much as fans. One day they will learn, but that day has not come yet sadly.

Banned
    I think the Wizards will be a big test for Jimmer. They have a lot of length.

The Voice of Reason Contributor RaisingTheBar's Avatar
    Positions are about who you defend. They mean almost nothing on offense. You can put a "PG" at the top of the key or a "SF"

Trust me - coaches don't talk about positions as much as fans. One day they will learn, but that day has not come yet sadly.
    I've always thought of positions like that. On offense you dictate where people play, on defense is where it falls into the more cookie cutter "you are this role"

Quote Originally Posted by RaisingTheBar View Post
    I've always thought of positions like that. On offense you dictate where people play, on defense is where it falls into the more cookie cutter "you are this role"
    Yep - thats how coaches coach.

after fifteen years of coaching, I'm still intrigued at the whole SG/SF thing. Personally, I just consider them wings and like to put a left-handed guard on the right and a right-handed one on the left. This way when they drive to their strong-sides, they're driving middle and keeping options open

Quote Originally Posted by fullcourtpress View Post
    after fifteen years of coaching, I'm still intrigued at the whole SG/SF thing. Personally, I just consider them wings and like to put a left-handed guard on the right and a right-handed one on the left. This way when they drive to their strong-sides, they're driving middle and keeping options open
    Very true - and it depends on the system. I play 1 in and 4 out, and players almost never end up on the side they start, so I do the opposite.

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! pelicanchamp's Avatar
    I want to see Reke start at the 3 and stay in the lineup while they move Anderson in and Davis to Center.

I predict early 2nd quarter you will see Reke move to point forward, Rivers, Holiday off the ball, Anderson, Davis.
    If this happens I think we could be very effective especially if we throw Jimmer in there in place of Jrue. I want to see the offense explode.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Some people want Reke at the 3 some at the 2. So no matter what Monty does someone will complain.

Personally, I just want to win. Monty could play Reke 1-4 for all I care if it works and we win it doesn't really matter.

Some people want Reke at the 3 some at the 2. So no matter what Monty does someone will complain.

Personally, I just want to win. Monty could play Reke 1-4 for all I care if it works and we win it doesn't really matter.
    And herein lies the frustration I have with people sometimes: Regardless of where Monty plays him, if we lose - Monty's a fool.

If we win, Monty gets no credit. When people have an agenda, they don't lie - they just selectively choose the evidence they want to present.

And herein lies the frustration I have with people sometimes: Regardless of where Monty plays him, if we lose - Monty's a fool.

If we win, Monty gets no credit. When people have an agenda, they don't lie - they just selectively choose the evidence they want to present.
    Exactly. I'm personally not yelling for Monty to do anything specific with Reke because he's spoken multiple times about having to learn to coach Tyreke and how much he's grown.

If we are losing will I examine everything? Absolutely. We all are going to be breaking down everything. I already expect people to complain about AD's jump shot this coming year. But right now, I'm more than willing to give Monty the benefit of the doubt and don't feel like saying, "he needs to play Reke this many minutes at this exact position".

I wouldn't be so quick to say Monty won't get any credit if we win. It's a new year, let's give everyone a fair shake. The offseason has went a long way with Monty saying all the right things in at least some fans minds. I also don't take Monty as a guy who is very good at coach speak. There are times he avoids answering questions but when he does answer, he seems very honest.

Heck, even our announcing injuries have been much better so far.

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! pelicanchamp's Avatar
    If we miss the playoffs and if Reke is ineffective because of poor coaching then Monty will be fired. Aside from AD and the health of this team, How coach utilizes Reke will likely be a significant factor in the Pelicans making the playoffs. Reke is our Manu. He's not Manu at all but he has remarkable skills and if he gels well with this team we will become much more difficult to beat. I have very high expectations for this team and that means playoffs. The WEST will be brutal but we will be very competitive.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I really like the idea of jrue holliday coming off the bench. Tyreke is kinda john wall'ish. Plus, jrue is a great combo guard for either guard spot

Tyreke is not a superstar just waiting to break out. The team should not be building lineups based around him.

Unless you are talking about second team lineups without Davis.

Quote Originally Posted by Kibner View Post
    Tyreke is not a superstar just waiting to break out. The team should not be building lineups based around him.

Unless you are talking about second team lineups without Davis.

amen
    The most overused words on Pelicansreport.com. Wrongly, I might add.

ELITE - (often used with a plural verb) the choice or best of anything considered collectively, as of a group or class of persons.

GREAT - notable; remarkable; exceptionally outstanding

These words should not be used lightly

Quote Originally Posted by fullcourtpress View Post
    I really like the idea of jrue holliday coming off the bench. Tyreke is kinda john wall'ish. Plus, jrue is a great combo guard for either guard spot
    We gave up 2 first round picks for Jrue. He is already an all-star. He is not coming off the bench.

Thread Information