Pelicans Report

Page 32 of 58 FirstFirst ... 22 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 42 ... LastLast

Thread: [Official - trade complete] Hornets Trying to Land RFA Lopez from the Suns {merged}

Quote Originally Posted by GameBreaker View Post
    Your crazy if you think Lopez is in the best lineup. If it so, then we are worse off than I thought we were. I'm not even convinced he runs with the 2s. You are overvaluing the guy as a basketball player. He's a project at best.
    Lopez isn't a project. He's too old to be a project at this point (NBA players usually reach their potential by 24). He is who he is.

With that said, he's certainly capable of being a backup center. Although personally I think he has a legit shot at being the spot starter on this team with Ryan Anderson being the sixth man but seeing the floor a lot more often. Lopez could start, but likely would only average 12-20 minutes per game.

As for best lineup... it will probably be:

Rivers (assuming he develops quick enough, but I don't think he starts any time soon)
    Gordon
    Aminu (for defense)
    Anderson
    Davis

Quote Originally Posted by bradael View Post
    Lopez isn't a project. He's too old to be a project at this point (NBA players usually reach their potential by 24). He is who he is.

With that said, he's certainly capable of being a backup center. Although personally I think he has a legit shot at being the spot starter on this team with Ryan Anderson being the sixth man but seeing the floor a lot more often. Lopez could start, but likely would only average 12-20 minutes per game.

As for best lineup... it will probably be:

Rivers (assuming he develops quick enough, but I don't think he starts any time soon)
    Gordon
    Aminu (for defense)
    Anderson
    Davis
    What? That's pretty presumptuous to assume that a player who has not gotten minutes has maxed out by age 24.

The question remains... is Anthony Davis gonna start at center?

I say this season... no... MAYBE next. Monty says no. I guess we'll find out.

Quote Originally Posted by bradael View Post
    I've read in various places that the average Center's best statistical year is 27 years old. Could be wrong on that but I seem to remember reading that. IE, Centers take longer to mature.

Not saying that will be the case with Lopez.

QUOTE=Miss_318;969911]I personally haven't thrown any lineups out....cuz I haven't even seen these guys play together yet. But I guess I just like to see with my own eyes what they look like on the floor as a team and in different situations before I make any suggestions........I personally think the NBA has changed to the point where whoever "starts" is irrelevant....its what the best lineup is for that particular opponent....[/QUOTE]

You're totally right. For each opponent there is a different "starting five". But coaches and players kind of have an unspoken deal to keep putting in the same five players at the start of each game; that way the whole "Who's starting?" garbage dies quickly.

All we know for sure as of now is that Davis, Gordon and Anderson will be on the court during crunch-time. And Gordon, Davis and Aminu will start the game

That's why Davis is so good. His versatility allows for

J. Smith and A. Davis playing the 4 and 5 and R. Anderson playing SF on offense. While letting A. Davis guard the SF against teams like OKC, while playing two combo-guards.

At the end of a close game, Anderson, Davis and Gordon will be paired with:
    Al Farouq Aminu vs. Jason Smith vs. Robin Lopez vs. Hakim Warrik
    Vasquez vs. Rivers vs. (WE NEED A PLAYER HERE
    Last edited by fullcourtpress; 07-25-2012 at 02:36 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by fullcourtpress View Post
    QUOTE=Miss_318;969911]I personally haven't thrown any lineups out....cuz I haven't even seen these guys play together yet. But I guess I just like to see with my own eyes what they look like on the floor as a team and in different situations before I make any suggestions........I personally think the NBA has changed to the point where whoever "starts" is irrelevant....its what the best lineup is for that particular opponent....
    You're totally right. For each opponent there is a different "starting five". But coaches and players kind of have an unspoken deal to keep putting in the same five players at the start of each game; that way the whole "Who's starting?" garbage dies quickly.

All we know for sure as of now is that Davis, Gordon and Anderson will be on the court during crunch-time. And Gordon, Davis and Aminu will start the game

That's why Davis is so good. His versatility allows for

J. Smith and A. Davis playing the 4 and 5 and R. Anderson playing SF on offense. While letting A. Davis guard the SF against teams like OKC, while playing two combo-guards.

At the end of a close game, Anderson, Davis and Gordon will be paired with:
    Al Farouq Aminu vs. Jason Smith vs. Robin Lopez vs. Hakim Warrik
    Vasquez vs. Rivers vs. (WE NEED A PLAYER HERE[/QUOTE]

Why not XXXXXXXXXX? That's X.

Quote Originally Posted by HORNETSFAN View Post
    What? That's pretty presumptuous to assume that a player who has not gotten minutes has maxed out by age 24.

I hear ya D. West went from 6.1 to 17.2 ppg at the age of 24!

Everyone knows a system can change a role player into a super star not saying he's going to be a superstar but with more players playing defense and not having everyone around him shooting threes it might give a chance to find a groove in this system! I say give him a chance to start! The right coaching the kid could be good for us!

Quote Originally Posted by DroopyDawg View Post
    The question remains... is Anthony Davis gonna start at center?

I say this season... no... MAYBE next. Monty says no. I guess we'll find out.
    On offense or defense?

He will jump for the ball I hope.

The rest is for the program and all-star votes.

Ask Pops about this. He has made a mockery of this subject for years.

Since the day D. Robinson left Duncan played center on offense, yet they would call him a PF. He dreamed of finding a center that would allow him to play PF again both ways but instead he would start a big then take him out for the majority of the game

The way I see it we have 96 minutes between pf and c
    Davis 30 minutes
    Anderson 30 minutes
    Lopez 20 minutes
    Smith 12 minutes
    Warrick 4 minutes

positions are overrated but our lineup will probably be
    PF: Davis/Anderson/Smith/Warrick
    C: Anderson/Lopez/Smith

Anderson can't play D on good true centers, but there aren't a lot of those anyway and Anderson can really rebound. Offensively, in that line up, Davis will use his quickness in the face up game to drive by opposing centers, while Anderson spreads the floor. This lineup opens the floor for Davis and will allow his offensive game to grow significantly.

With Lopez and Davis, we can play D on the true centers. Offensively we'll be more limited, but Davis will go to the post on most powerforwards, but could also use the face up game. I think this lineup will protect him early in his career and protect him from banging down low.

Quote Originally Posted by Purple Haze View Post
    I'm interested to see what a change of scenery and much better coach can do for Lopez. Hate that his vertical is practically gone now, but hopefully he stays healthy. We don't need him to do much, just be that solid reliable banger so AD doesn't have to be.
    I think his lost a lot of his vertical is due to the weight he's carrying. I just watched some stuff from his rookie year and he is much heavier looking right now. He needs to get back to that 255 range.

Is this deal done?

What are the parameters?

The Voice of Reason Contributor RaisingTheBar's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Panic Hoops View Post
    Is this deal done?

What are the parameters?
    i think the deal is agreed upon but the hold up is that lopez is on "vacation" right now and the deal cannot be official until our team doctors give him a physical.

this could change but the latest i saw as far as details was hornets get lopez + warrick (pretty much an expiring contract), suns get wes johnson, minn's 1st and brad miller's contract, not quite sure what minn gets but i believe we are also giving up 2 future 2nd rounders.

What numbers do you predict?

I see:

Davis - 34 minutes - 17/12/3 (ROTY)
    Anderson - 32 minutes - 19/8 (same as last year, but a little more scoring needed)
    Lopez - 22 minutes - 8/7/1 (basically DeAndre Jordan's numbers without the blocks)
    Smith - 18 minutes - 1000 yards, err, 9/5 (slightly less minutes than last year, but highest efficiency)

They will manage this by playing AD and RA sometimes at the 3.

Rookie
    Back in METRY via Jacksonville via METRY via Atlanta via the NorthShore
    Quote Originally Posted by RaisingTheBrow View Post
    i think the deal is agreed upon but the hold up is that lopez is on "vacation" right now and the deal cannot be official until our team doctors give him a physical.

this could change but the latest i saw as far as details was hornets get lopez + warrick (pretty much an expiring contract), suns get wes johnson, minn's 1st and brad miller's contract, not quite sure what minn gets but i believe we are also giving up 2 future 2nd rounders.
    Minnesota is getting cap space to sign Andre Kirilenko plus it looks like we are giving them 2 future second round picks.

Quote Originally Posted by sfernald View Post

I see:

Anderson - 32 minutes - 19/8 (same as last year, but a little more scoring needed)
    Lopez - 22 minutes - 8/7/1 (basically DeAndre Jordan's numbers without the blocks)
    Smith - 18 minutes - 1000 yards, err, 9/5 (slightly less minutes than last year, but highest efficiency)

i agree with/like these predictions for the MINUTES. i think anderson and davis will average somewhere around 5mpg each at the 3. i hate predicting stats, especially for davis b\c if he doesnt put up those number people will label him a bust. i am just excited about this year and cant wait to watch our new team.

great deal for Phoenix...

Quote Originally Posted by CrazyWhoDat View Post
    Minnesota is getting cap space to sign Andre Kirilenko plus it looks like we are giving them 2 future second round picks.
    so pretty much we are giving them back the 2 2nds they gave us in the miller trade?

Quote Originally Posted by RaisingTheBrow View Post

Thanks. Seems like Minny is doing the deal to get Kirilenko and needs the cap space.

Quote Originally Posted by sfernald View Post

I see:

I think you have a better shot at hitting the lottery or getting hit by lightning. Especially those rebound numbers.

Thanks. Seems like Minny is doing the deal to get Kirilenko and needs the cap space.
    It's so funny that Brooklyn thought they had a chance to get Kirilenko. That is one dude I knew would want to get paid! All about the money.

for sure.

dyson being sent to the wolves.

and the hornets receive cash, interesting.

Quote Originally Posted by Nola Hornet View Post
    I think you have a better shot at hitting the lottery or getting hit by lightning. Especially those rebound numbers.
    Which ones don't you think are realistic? The Lopez one definitely, but besides that? Ryan averaged 8 last year rounding up and the smith numbers are the same as last year. So that just leave's Davis. You don't think Davis will be a top 10 rebounder next year?

Thread Information