Pelicans Report

Page 5 of 34 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 15 ... LastLast

Thread: The rebrand and name change thread part 3

Hall of Famer
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. West View Post
    Ah yeah, I remember that. The jerseys were not too hot, but I do like that logo alot.
    Yeah, those jerseys were one of those things that looked good when I first drew it up, not so good later on. I tend to be more "creative" and "extreme" when it comes to jersey design (I love 90's NBA jerseys, says it all, really), so coming up with a simple, clean design took a while. I had a lot of concepts with unnecessary piping and side panels (think Atlanta's jerseys, only worse), and the numbers were supposed to have a "shinier" look to them (think 90's Pistons numbers), but I just thought I was getting a bit too out there for a functional NBA jersey (until I saw the other entries, that is). I'm just glad it was liked enough to get a mention in the article.

A Soulful Sports Fan Contributor Eman5805's Avatar

Pelicans sure have a mean stare.

Could you do a Gators one, surprised this name doesn't have more backing.
    looking for team to bandwagon, pls help

Quote Originally Posted by Xist2inspire View Post
    *cough cough*

Yeah, I'm back. Since finals is over, I finally have some time to breathe. I'm working on on some other team designs now.
    Very, very nice idea.
    Old fan. Tired fan. I want to believe.

Quote Originally Posted by dcoop View Post
    Could you do a Gators one, surprised this name doesn't have more backing.
    I imagine a lot of us have an aversion to that name because of the Florida Gators.

SEC rivalries run deep I suppose.

Quote Originally Posted by DRob8785 View Post
    I imagine a lot of us have an aversion to that name because of the Florida Gators.

SEC rivalries run deep I suppose.

EXACTLY, LSU grad here and I'd cringe at thought of Gators.

@DatPurpleHornet

I don't mind Gators, but I also don't really care about LSU or the SEC.

Hall of Famer
    I'm currently an LSU student and I wouldn't mind Gators one bit. I mean, it's not like we're going to use their colors or logos.

What do y'all think about going the music route with the name Blues? I've been doing some research, and it turns out that we have as good a connection to the name as any.
    http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/New_Orleans_blues

Baton Rouge has its own form of blues:
    https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Swamp_blues

It also ties into Fats Domino and our R&B history:
    https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/New_...ythm_and_blues

Yeah, St. Louis uses the name, but I'm not sure if hockey has a big enough influence in the US or down South to where "Blues" would immediately be associated with "St. Louis".
    Last edited by Xist2inspire; 05-16-2012 at 09:53 AM.

I'm currently an LSU student and I wouldn't mind Gators one bit. I mean, it's like we're going to use their colors or logos.

What do y'all think about going the music route with the name Blues? I've been doing some research, and it turns out that we have as good a connection to the name as any.
    http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/New_Orleans_blues

Baton Rouge has its own form of blues:
    https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Swamp_blues

It also ties into Fats Domino and our R&B history:
    https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/New_...ythm_and_blues

Yeah, St. Louis uses the name, but I'm not sure if hockey has a big enough influence in the US or down South to where "Blues" would immediately be associated with "St. Louis".
    I wouldn't mind it. And then if we got Anthony Davis, he and Gordon could be the Blues Brothers. That would be an ESPN cover photoshoot for sure.

Does anyone know when our New Orleans Pelicans NBA merchandise will go on sale? I'm going to hang up and listen...
    I once had some of the worst grits and drippings in the Queen City

On a permanent Holiday! Purple Haze's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe Horn-et View Post
    Does anyone know when our New Orleans Pelicans NBA merchandise will go on sale? I'm going to hang up and listen...
    As soon as they get their contract with bigdub sorted out, it's going all Drew Brees lately...
    Wherehappens.

Hall of Famer
    All right, I posted these in the other "rebrand" threads, but here's where I break the design down. This is an example of my kind of design style: unique, a bit crazy, and would fit right in with 90's NBA jersey designs, which makes it highly unlikely that it'll ever be used. First of all, my scanner screwed up. The actual color of the blue is periwinkle (think Denver's light blue mixed with Memphis' light blue), but the scanner darkened it to the point where the only thing I could do was alter the image to get a Creole Blue color.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Creole Soul.jpg 
Views:	265 
Size:	77.7 KB 
ID:	3781

Now this is obviously a music-based design. The dominoes on the jersey are a tribute to Louisiana legend Fats Domino, as I really liked the "Dominoes" idea that was mentioned here. The numbers on the dominoes are meant to be read as "1803", the year of the Louisiana Purchase. The "glossy" numbers were originally meant for my Knights concept as a subtle tie-in to the "Brass" name, and I thought it was too good of an idea to waste. The lines on the jersey are meant to symbolize the lines on a musical scale, and also the strings on a guitar (and for some odd reason, it also reminds me of a jukebox). I also took the traditional Fleur-de-lis and turned it into the "Fleur-de-G" (G-clef). The cool thing about this design is that I can see it working for other names, such as Krewe, Revelers, or Spirits, just as long as the color scheme changes as well. Example: the Mardi Gras variant.

Name:	Mardi Gras.jpg 
Views:	215 
Size:	78.7 KB 
ID:	3782

As for merchandising, I had one really good idea: Dog Tags. Domino dog tags, either in the "1803" style, or a "NOLA" style that I didn't put on the sheet. Now, I couldn't decide on a good name for this design (Blues? Brass? Soul? Rhythm?), so I'll leave that up to you guys.

What do y'all think? Are there any improvements or alternate color schemes you'd like to see?

I wrote this about you Mr. West's Avatar
    All right, I posted these in the other "rebrand" threads, but here's where I break the design down. This is an example of my kind of design style: unique, a bit crazy, and would fit right in with 90's NBA jersey designs, which makes it highly unlikely that it'll ever be used. First of all, my scanner screwed up. The actual color of the blue is periwinkle (think Denver's light blue mixed with Memphis' light blue), but the scanner darkened it to the point where the only thing I could do was alter the image to get a Creole Blue color.

Now this is obviously a music-based design. The dominoes on the jersey are a tribute to Louisiana legend Fats Domino, as I really liked the "Dominoes" idea that was mentioned here. The numbers on the dominoes are meant to be read as "1803", the year of the Louisiana Purchase. The "glossy" numbers were originally meant for my Knights concept as a subtle tie-in to the "Brass" name, and I thought it was too good of an idea to waste. The lines on the jersey are meant to symbolize the lines on a musical scale, and also the strings on a guitar (and for some odd reason, it also reminds me of a jukebox). I also took the traditional Fleur-de-lis and turned it into the "Fleur-de-G" (G-clef). The cool thing about this design is that I can see it working for other names, such as Krewe, Revelers, or Spirits, just as long as the color scheme changes as well. Example: the Mardi Gras variant.

As for merchandising, I had one really good idea: Dog Tags. Domino dog tags, either in the "1803" style, or a "NOLA" style that I didn't put on the sheet. Now, I couldn't decide on a good name for this design (Blues? Brass? Soul? Rhythm?), so I'll leave that up to you guys.

What do y'all think? Are there any improvements or alternate color schemes you'd like to see?
    Love the first uni, not a fan of the second. The first looks slick and clean, with a "new" look if you know what I mean. I don't like the name for a team, but I like that first sketchup. The second looks a tad busy. You are really a talented sketch artist buddy

Hall of Famer
    Thanks. If there's one thing I've learned from this Hornets rebranding stuff, it's this: I only like Mardi Gras colors when they're on a King cake.

By the way, I don't like the "Dominoes" name either, I just like the branding potential it has. I'd rather just use dominoes as a design feature to pay tribute to the musical side of our culture.

I really dig the Horns+Cathedral logo. That has some serious potential.

I like the designs in general, with the exception of the side panels wrapping around the front and back. It just makes the jersey too "busy."

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! wuggie's Avatar

I love your designs man, especially the first jersey and the ones you did for the knights.

R.I.P. to HunnyB/FlyGirl

Count me among the people who are super impressed with your work, Inspire.

Have to ask, though, was there a significance in the domino numbers you chose?
    Last edited by The JNR; 05-17-2012 at 07:11 PM.

Hall of Famer
    Quote Originally Posted by The JNR View Post
    Count me among the people who are super impressed with your work, Inspire.

Have to ask, though, was there a significance in the domino numbers you chose?
    Yeah, it's 1803, the year of the Louisiana purchase. And DRob, I did the "wraparound" effect purely because of an issue I had with the Supersonics and Blazers jerseys. I always hated the fact that they had the stripes or arch on the front but didn't continue the design on the back, like Atlanta's Dominique Wilkins-Era jersey and the Rainbow Nuggets jerseys did. It just struck me as a lazy and sloppy design choice, and I try to avoid it whenever possible.

It's just a little quirk of mine, bear with me.
    Last edited by Xist2inspire; 05-17-2012 at 07:31 PM.

Awesome. That makes it even cooler. Seriously great work, dude.

Don't forget that the Fletch approves of Dominoes!

http://offsideswithfletcher.wordpres...eans-dominoes/

Crimson and Gold? Maybe Benson will go back to his St. Aloysius/Brother Martin ways.
    Formally known as WhoDatMan504

Quote Originally Posted by HORNETSFAN View Post
    So any "fun" name would do? Why not the New Orleans Fun then? See how silly that sounds (just like Big Shots).
    I agree, Big Shots is a good name!

The Artist    Contributor   
    That double horn/cathedral design is sweet!

On a permanent Holiday! Purple Haze's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by bigdub81 View Post
    That double horn/cathedral design is sweet!
    Yeah that's really sweet. bigdub do you think you could do a computer version of that with his permission? I REALLY like that logo.

U-L-M...Geaux Hawks Geaux djpaul89's Avatar
    Inspire, I like the overall idea of the 1st design. I really dig that alternate logo with the "1803" BUT I honestly saw that as an

"N
    dfdO"

before I really looked hard at it. I think the N.O. would be even better. My only nitpick would be that the jersey is a little too busy for my personal tastes, and I don't really care for the periwinkle accent. But the general idea is awesome. Your creativity runs deep, sir.

The Hornets need to lock you, BigDub, and the guy from the ESPN contest who submitted four designs up in the same room for 48 hours and see what happens...seriously. If you guys could collaborate, oh man...

EDIT to add: The guy from the ESPN contest I was referring to is Brent Becker...he did Crescents, Krewe and Dukes
    Last edited by djpaul89; 05-18-2012 at 10:01 AM.

Thread Information