Pelicans Report

Page 12 of 13 FirstFirst ... 2 8 9 10 11 12 13 LastLast

Thread: Pels sign Julius Randall

Quote Originally Posted by RaisingTheBar View Post

FOR TODAY'S NBA
    yes he has the strength to defend bigger guys and quickness for smaller ones. This reading comprehension thing is still an issue. I'm going to let you have at it.
    Who's talking about the nba of the past? Of course we are discussing today's NBA. Every player I listed is on a playoff team in TODAY'S NBA.

Nothing in your post addresses my point which is Randle is not the perfect SIZE for a center. Nothing you have said has ever addressed this. You keep glossing over the size point and trying to argue something literally no one else is arguing.

This discussion is about you calling Randle the perfect size for a center. Everyone agrees that his style of play and strength fit the center position.

A Soulful Sports Fan Contributor Eman5805's Avatar
    I won't go as far to say Randle is better than Cousins. Though maybe he could be. But I will say that he is a better fit with AD than Cousins. He doesn't take the pressure of AD to guard guys like Embiid, Ayton, Gasol, or other big bigs. But he makes our team dangerous.

Quote Originally Posted by Eman5805 View Post
    I won't go as far to say Randle is better than Cousins. Though maybe he could be. But I will say that he is a better fit with AD than Cousins. He doesn't take the pressure of AD to guard guys like Embiid, Ayton, Gasol, or other big bigs. But he makes our team dangerous.
    And he'll be on the court before the playoffs. That's kind of a huge deal

Lol the argument in this thread is silly and pointless. Clearly both sides agree that Randle can succeed at the C position, despite his lack of traditional size, due to his combination of strength, speed, and style of play. Move on.

"I'm not going to allow my putative owner to answer that question, this is an NBA related press conference. Paul Tagliabue and Roger Goodell have collectively sung their praises of Tom and if uh ESPN has a problem with that tell Mr. Skipper to call me at my office."

The Voice of Reason Contributor RaisingTheBar's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Mythrol View Post
    Who's talking about the nba of the past? Of course we are discussing today's NBA. Every player I listed is on a playoff team in TODAY'S NBA.

Nothing in your post addresses my point which is Randle is not the perfect SIZE for a center. Nothing you have said has ever addressed this. You keep glossing over the size point and trying to argue something literally no one else is arguing.

This discussion is about you calling Randle the perfect size for a center. Everyone agrees that his style of play and strength fit the center position.
    All you're doing is arguing words now and nothing with actual content. You're a waste of time. I finally get to use the block button, yay!

All you're doing is arguing words now and nothing with actual content. You're a waste of time. I finally get to use the block button, yay!
    I feel like even though I've been pretty clear you're legitimately confused on what I'm saying so let's try it this way: Please explain to me how Randle at 6'9 with a 8'9.5 standing reach is the "perfect size" for today's NBA center when compared across the league.

Yeah. Weird off the cuff and not well planned out analogy but I feel like AD is a 98, Boogie a 97, and JR....I dunno...an 86.....

But the front court overall I'm our system was a 92 with Boogie. It just didn't dominate like those two elites should. And I feel like it could be a 93 with JR.

But like Aus said, it would be more like an 86 with Boogie last year and this year since he didn't and probably won't play much.

Huge upgrade overall.
    Last edited by msusousaphone; 07-10-2018 at 02:17 PM.

I feel like even though I've been pretty clear you're legitimately confused on what I'm saying so let's try it this way: Please explain to me how Randle at 6'9 with a 8'9.5 standing reach is the "perfect size" for today's NBA center when compared across the league.
    It's not. Randle's wingspan is below average for a PF and something that really worries me. Yes he can be effective, as was Blake and Love but it's still worrisome. He will have trouble being a rim protector and scoring 20+ inside consistently. He has to develop a jumper. I just dont see him as a 2nd option, Jrue will have to take his game to another level
    Last edited by HoustonPelicans; 07-10-2018 at 02:42 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by HoustonPelicans View Post
    It's not. Randle's wingspan is below average for a PF and something that really worries me. Yes he can be effective, as was Blake and Love but it's still worrisome. He will have trouble being a rim protector and scoring 20+ inside consistently. He has to develop a jumper. I just dont see him as a 2nd option, Jrue will have to take his game to another level
    Who said Jrue isn't our 2nd option? I'm not worried about our ability to score. I'm more concerned with shot distribution given the number of players on the team that need the ball in their hands.

Saint Pelican of Mile High Contributor DefensiveMind's Avatar
    Not even worried about his offense one bit. He can handle the ball well enough to go by bigger defenders and bulldoze smaller defenders. Defensively, he’s got enough bounce to be a nice weakside deterrent, but his real value will be the mobility to help at the point of attack. If you start him next to AD... who are you putting in the P n R? Most likely Randle or Hill and those matchups can be favorable to us over 82 games with Jrue on the ball and Randle or Hill switching with AD playing free safety/rim protector.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by PelsFan2313 View Post
    Who said Jrue isn't our 2nd option? I'm not worried about our ability to score. I'm more concerned with shot distribution given the number of players on the team that need the ball in their hands.
    I thought it was a consensus around here that Jrue was the 3rd option on a championship team, but he did make a major jump in the playoffs so that sediment may have changed. Shot distribution shouldn't be a problem, we lost 2 high usage guys from last year in Rondo and Boogie.

Below average? It's a 7' wingspan. Are we really gonna sweat an inch or two?

Quote Originally Posted by DefensiveMind View Post
    Not even worried about his offense one bit. He can handle the ball well enough to go by bigger defenders and bulldoze smaller defenders. Defensively, he’s got enough bounce to be a nice weakside deterrent, but his real value will be the mobility to help at the point of attack. If you start him next to AD... who are you putting in the P n R? Most likely Randle or Hill and those matchups can be favorable to us over 82 games with Jrue on the ball and Randle or Hill switching with AD playing free safety/rim protector.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Agree with this

It's 6'11 and if we're basing it off history, yeah. Post players with under 7ft wingspans have generally struggled. You can see it in his block numbers and percentages before he got in shape.

But...he is in shape now. And what did I just say about sweating inches?

But...he is in shape now. And what did I just say about sweating inches?
    Yeah but his block numbers are still suffering, which means we shouldn't expect that from his game. He has to get perfect timing on his blocks. And lol I addressed the inches, they should be sweated for post players, if Blake had a couple more inches on his arms he would've averaged 25+ppg with CP.

Not trying to bash Randle though, I think he will have a great season. Just pointing out obstacles he has to overcome to reach the next level, like developing a reliable jumpshot from at least midrange.

I thought it was a consensus around here that Jrue was the 3rd option on a championship team, but he did make a major jump in the playoffs so that sediment may have changed. Shot distribution shouldn't be a problem, we lost 2 high usage guys from last year in Rondo and Boogie.
    And gained 2 high usage guys in Payton and Randle. It wasn't too big of a deal last year, but I wonder if that changes with Rondo out the mix.

Quote Originally Posted by AusPel View Post
    And he'll be on the court before the playoffs. That's kind of a huge deal
    for cheaper too

Yeah but his block numbers are still suffering, which means we shouldn't expect that from his game. He has to get perfect timing on his blocks. And lol I addressed the inches, they should be sweated for post players, if Blake had a couple more inches on his arms he would've averaged 25+ppg with CP.

Not trying to bash Randle though, I think he will have a great season. Just pointing out obstacles he has to overcome to reach the next level, like developing a reliable jumpshot from at least midrange.
    That's okay. I don't care at all about his block numbers. I think he'll be a better on ball defender anyway than we've had at that height in a while.

It's not an issue if he defends mostly 4s. It's only if he has to defense centers that it starts to become an issue. Every playoff center in the West has multiple inches on him in height and wingspan as well as standing reach.

As long as AD is willing to cover bigger centers we will be fine.

It's not an issue if he defends mostly 4s. It's only if he has to defense centers that it starts to become an issue. Every playoff center in the West has multiple inches on him in height and wingspan as well as standing reach.

As long as AD is willing to cover bigger centers we will be fine.
    I still don't think it will be an issue, even against centers. How many of those playoff centers are focal points on offense? Capella, Cousins, Towns, Gobert, Adams, Nurkic, and Aldridge. Maybe Aldridge, Towns, and Cousins if healthy. Adams can cause problems with is size.

I'm not really worried.

The Voice of Reason Contributor RaisingTheBar's Avatar
    LOL exactly

Quote Originally Posted by P_B_&_G View Post
    I still don't think it will be an issue, even against centers. How many of those playoff centers are focal points on offense? Capella, Cousins, Towns, Gobert, Adams, Nurkic, and Aldridge. Maybe Aldridge, Towns, and Cousins if healthy. Adams can cause problems with is size.

I'm not really worried.
    Denver also has a nice center also but you know that's 6/8 centers that can cause problems for Randle
    https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BrEtGIuCYAAUHds.jpg

LOL exactly
    I think they are saying don't be surprised if it becomes a problem.

Oh and we are forgetting about Marc gasol

Thread Information