Pelicans Report

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Pelicans logo design contest {merged}

Jimeert Freedet 4 Prez IamQuailman's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by The JNR View Post
    Crazy question...why do all these pelicans have hats?
    They should wear these hats:

Quote Originally Posted by dcoop View Post

LET US BE THE PELICANS PLS WITH THIS LOGO OMG
    That looks awesome. Would defintely be able to get behind something like this.

The Logo above reminds me of the Pittsburgh Penguins.

Quote Originally Posted by HunnyB View Post
    I see more without hats than I do WITH hats. I have no idea why some of them have hats.
    There are enough pelicans with hats in the graphics to make me wonder if that was part of the contest.

1.) Make a pelican logo for the new NBA team.
    2.) Suggested colors are red, gold, and navy blue, but feel free to try any color you like.
    3.) Pelicans look good with hats! Maybe you should put a hat on it!

U-L-M...Geaux Hawks Geaux djpaul89's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by BigEasyWhoDats View Post
    Honestly, some of these logos make me feel better about the name. It can definitely be done right
    Quote Originally Posted by Pantazis76 View Post
    Sexy, i wouldnt mind being pelicans with those designs.
    Glad to see my theory is still holding strong. IMO a big cause of the national/local backlash of Pelicans is because people naturally have a "Disney-fied" image of the word/animal when that doesn't necessarily have to be the case. As I said before, when I first heard the Pelicans suggestion on here a while back, I thought that was the wackest name ever too. Then I saw some clean designs for it and thought wow, this could really be pulled off nicely and got behind the brand.

^^ This...right here...is $$$$$$$$$$$. If our actual design is anywhere like this, we'll have one of the best, most unique brands in the league. BOOK IT.

There are enough pelicans with hats in the graphics to make me wonder if that was part of the contest.

1.) Make a pelican logo for the new NBA team.
    2.) Suggested colors are red, gold, and navy blue, but feel free to try any color you like.
    3.) Pelicans look good with hats! Maybe you should put a hat on it!
    I was reading the Design Brief to see if adding a hat was mentioned. I'm thinking for some reason those designers must think the Pelican looks better with a hat on. There are a lot of nice designs there but I don't know if I'd go with the hat.

I think that making a "fierce" and 2010-ish looking "modern" logo of a Pelican we're defeating the purpose. The charm and novelty of the "Pelicans" brand is that it's goofy and unique and fun. By making the Pelican look all badass you're ruining that novelty and you're no different than the Hawks, Ravens, Seahwaks, ULM Warhawks, Eagles, Falcons, etc. etc. etc. It's a total snoozefest.

If we DO go with Pelicans it simply must be a goofy cartoon bird with a big silly grin on his face. That's the only way it works. These "fierce" looking logos suck and lack any originality.

Updating Seymour D. Fair would be better than any of these generic "Mean Pelican" looks.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	baltimore-orioles-cartoon-bird.jpg 
Views:	544 
Size:	5.7 KB 
ID:	4538 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	seymour_d_fair_storyville_250.jpg 
Views:	532 
Size:	57.6 KB 
ID:	4539
    Last edited by WisconsinHornet; 12-19-2012 at 02:36 PM.
    "The only thing Ryno stretches is the 0's on the stat sheet." - BallSoHard

Crazy question...why do all these pelicans have hats?
    The reason that the natural inclination is to put a tophat or fedora on a Pelican logo is because Pelicans are goofy as hell and so instinctively you want to put a big dopey tophat on one to ham it up even more. That's kind of my point in a way - embrace the quirkiness and stop trying to make our potential Pelicans logo look like the freaking ULM Warhawks logo. Any second-rate university can make some sleek angry bird logo - let's be different.

Quote Originally Posted by WisconsinHornet View Post
    I think that making a "fierce" and 2010-ish looking "modern" logo of a Pelican we're defeating the purpose. The charm and novelty of the "Pelicans" brand is that it's goofy and unique and fun. By making the Pelican look all badass you're ruining that novelty and you're no different than the Hawks, Ravens, Eagles, Falcons, etc. etc. etc.

If we DO go with Pelicans it simply must be a goofy cartoon bird with a big silly grin on his face. That's the only way it works. These "fierce" looking logos suck and lack any originality.

Updating Seymour D. Fair would be better than any of these generic "Mean Pelican" looks.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	baltimore-orioles-cartoon-bird.jpg 
Views:	544 
Size:	5.7 KB 
ID:	4538 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	seymour_d_fair_storyville_250.jpg 
Views:	532 
Size:	57.6 KB 
ID:	4539
    Yikes... sorry but that idea sounds terrible. Those "mean" pelicans look serious, professional, and intimidating...

The criticism of the name so far is that it sounds "goofy" and "stupid"... and yet, every time somebody sees one of these well-designed logos, the response is typically the same -- surprised and impressed.

You throw a Vlassic pickle stork on a basketball jersey and you're basically guaranteeing your status as laughing stock.

Quote Originally Posted by jaxmc1023 View Post
    Yikes... sorry but that idea sounds terrible. Those "mean" pelicans look serious, professional, and intimidating...

The criticism of the name so far is that it sounds "goofy" and "stupid"... and yet, every time somebody sees one of these well-designed logos, the response is typically the same -- surprised and impressed.

You throw a Vlassic pickle stork on a basketball jersey and you're basically guaranteeing your status as laughing stock.
    Agreed. I've seen several instances on here and elsewhere that people definitely like sleek designing and appreciate it with the Pelican name.

And I don't see why it was necessary to take a dump on ULM, but I'm a good sport. Whatever...your opinion WiscHornet.

Quote Originally Posted by jaxmc1023 View Post

More like laughing STORK, AMIRITE GUYS

No, but I agree with you. I get the appeal of the goofy bird, but the sleek, angry pelicans are much more of a fitting brand for today's game. I know what Wisconsin Hornet is saying, though. The problem is trying to look too old-style and cartoony will have a negative effect and make the people who thought the name was goofy feel justified in their feeling. These logos make their views less justified, because the logos are more aggressive and don't look nearly as goofy as they suspected.

OG Hornets Fan - Est. 1988 TxAggie713's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by IamQuailman View Post
    Someone better buy the neworleanspelicans.com domain name stat! But ALL the domain names!
    Believe me... I tried all of the domains, NOLApelicans.com, neworleanspelicans.com, neworleanspels.com, etc.

On a permanent Holiday! Purple Haze's Avatar
    Man the more I see that Pelicans jersey, the more I love the look and feel of that name. Classic and so sick, old school
    Wherehappens.

Wow there have been new ones added since this morning, as well.

https://99designs.com/designs/191862...d1f46-original

Wow, take the hat out and that is one classic logo.

No, but I agree with you. I get the appeal of the goofy bird, but the sleek, angry pelicans are much more of a fitting brand for today's game. I know what Wisconsin Hornet is saying, though. The problem is trying to look too old-style and cartoony will have a negative effect and make the people who thought the name was goofy feel justified in their feeling. These logos make their views less justified, because the logos are more aggressive and don't look nearly as goofy as they suspected.
    A great compromise: https://99designs.com/designs/191778...c02dc-original

Mean and aggressive but still cartoony.

Pelicans logo design contest

Quote Originally Posted by Purple Haze View Post
    https://99designs.com/designs/191862...d1f46-original

Wow, take the hat out and that is one classic logo.
    Wait you don't like inspector pelican?

I think this may be my favorite. Classy but aggressive, and what a great seal to use on branding. Also it uses the rumored colors.

https://99designs.com/designs/191743...8e04d-original

A Soulful Sports Fan Contributor Eman5805's Avatar
    Why the hell is the Pelican wearing a fedora?

Pelicans logo design contest

I'm sure the one they pick will be horrible and the last one we wanted

Actually logos and designs like these don't make me pro Pelican, it makes me want Voodoo all the more. I can actually see how EPIC it could be. Not just great designs and logos with a lame name, but a great logo and designs with the best name in the NBA.

We have to Boycot and put pressure on the Arena League and Voodoo team to give that name up before it's too late, and i'm willing to wait another year on the rebrand if we can get Voodoo.

A Soulful Sports Fan Contributor Eman5805's Avatar
    It's kinda disheartening because NONE of these logos, no matter how much you like them will actually get used.

If Dub is truly working on it, there's still a great amount of hope that the look of the brand will redeem the negativity surrounding the name.

Quote Originally Posted by Eman5805 View Post
    It's kinda disheartening because NONE of these logos, no matter how much you like them will actually get used.

If Dub is truly working on it, there's still a great amount of hope that the look of the brand will redeem the negativity surrounding the name.
    That's possible, but i feel like it shouldn't have to. The name should be able to stand alone and represent the entirety of the brand before you get beyond it, into the details.

The logos, colors or designs should bring the name to life. Give the fan base something to embrace, brag on and rally around. Invite the fan enthusiasm and participation that come with rebranding the team Voodoo.

You only get to do this once, so lets do it right and not rush to do it, just to say we did it. If the Arena League folds with in the next couple of years, i am going to be sick and angry.

Quote Originally Posted by NemesisKING View Post
    That's possible, but i feel like it shouldn't have to. The name should be able to stand alone and represent the entirety of the brand before you get beyond it, into the details.

The logos, colors or designs should bring the name to life. Give the fan base something to embrace, brag on and rally around. Invite the fan enthusiasm and participation that come with rebranding the team Voodoo.

You only get to do this once, so lets do it right and not rush to do it, just to say we did it. If the Arena League folds with in the next couple of years, i am going to be sick and angry.
    I think you make a lot of good points here, but I disagree with the bit I bolded. The package/logo/design is just as important as the name. The Nets design is simple, and a lot of people like that simplicity. It reenergized the feeling around a team that lacked that energy. I think a great design for the Pelicans will make a lot of people come around, because when you buy merch, more often than not you're buying merch that has the logo on it rather than just the name. I would sport a lot of the logos on that site because I think they look cool, not necessarily because I love the name Pelicans (although I'm fond of it).

Thread Information