Pelicans Report

Thread: Hornets at Bulls: Advanced Box Score

Hornets at Bulls: Advanced Box Score

I couldn't watch the game live since I was stuck at a buddy's house watching the LSU game. I tried to watch the midnight reply but I fell asleep. Can only go over the stats tonight.

Offensive Rating (Team - 99)

Mason - 214
    Smith - 201
    Lopez - 107
    Aminu - 96
    Vasquez - 93
    Anderson - 87
    Rivers - 72
    Roberts - 51 (5 minutes)
    Miller - 50
    Thomas - 0 (5 minutes)
    Henry - NA (3 minutes)

1. Mason was 2-3 from 3's and 2-2 from the FT line. His total shooting was therefore over 100%. Add in his zero turnovers and an assist, his rating was super high. Mason has been a very good pickup and I would still start him at SG until Gordon is back due to his shooting and efficiency on offense.

2. Smith was really efficient. 16 points in 15 minutes. 4/5 from the field, 8/8 from the line, zero turnovers. His total shooting was 94%. No surprise to see his rating so high.

3. Lopez was really strong from the field, but 3 turnovers hurt his rating. Turnovers has been the only flaw so far for him.

4. Same with Aminu. Turnovers hurt him as well. He shot a very good %, but 4 turnovers hurt.

5. Vasquez scored alot, but 4 turnovers and poor shooting. Same with Rivers. He scored more than usual, but a poor % and a couple of turnovers.

6. Anderson didn't shoot well and also had 3 turnovers. He was 4/6 from 2 point range, but 1/7 from 3's.

7. What was Brian Roberts smoking last night? 0/5 from the field, 1 turnover, and 57% usage in just 5 minutes. I don't think I've ever seen a 57% usage in a game and he did it in 5 minutes. Ridiculous. If we need a backup PG, give the job to Rivers.

Defensive Rating (Team - 91)

Aminu - 85
    Roberts - 86 (5 minutes)
    Lopez - 87
    Rivers - 89
    Miller - 90
    Anderson - 92
    Thomas - 95 (5 minutes)
    Smith - 96
    Vasquez - 100
    Mason - 103
    Henry - 105 (3 minutes)

1. The team played really well defensively.

2. Aminu had steals, blocks, and rebounds. Definitely on his way to becoming an elite defender. Fouls hurt him yesterday.

3. Lopez was strong too. I noticed in the first he was guarding Boozer and Boozer finished 1/8 from the field. Lopez had 4 blocks.

4. Rivers had 3 steals and a block. Had a strong defensive game. Both starting guards for the Bulls shot poorly from the field.

http://www.basketball-reference.com/...211030CHI.html

After Wednesday's games, I will post the season stats like win shares, win shares per 48 minutes, etc.

Emeka Okafor - Joe Smith - Carmelo Anthony - Manu Ginobili - Jason Williams

Al Jefferson - James Posey - Aaron McKie - Shaun Livingston

If Roberts is going to be on this team hopefully he begins to play as well as BEFORE he knew his spot on the team was secure. Last night's output probably won't be the norm for him. At least we should hope not.

^ I think he could play with more control than he did last night, but his style isn't going to change.

I'm probably going to be saying this in a few threads, but I have really been happy with Robin Lopez so far. My expectations were incredibly low, but he's surpassing them by far in these few games.

Band of Skulls & Neon Trees ramsters60's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by The JNR View Post
    I'm probably going to be saying this in a few threads, but I have really been happy with Robin Lopez so far. My expectations were incredibly low, but he's surpassing them by far in these few games.
    this pretty much sums up how I felt/feel about Lopez as well....I was not convinced he is as healthy as he appears to be....
    "we might make dollars, but we don't necessarily make sense"

"always be sincere....whether you mean it or not"

U-L-M...Geaux Hawks Geaux djpaul89's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by The JNR View Post
    He seems to be displaying the potential & skills he was showing early on in Phoenix...

I also have been impressed with Robin. His moves are so slow, specially in the post, and his hook shot is so linear, but he gets most of his shots. He also defends very good, rebounds great even with 1 hand and puts all his effort in every play.

Good post by the way.

The Opinion Business Contributor gerryv's Avatar
    Aminu allows 12 pts per game in his match ups
    1-What does not move is dead.What has speed,and mobilty has more possibilities,more life...quickness creates luck.

2- Your Defense is only as good as your HELP/ROTATING defenders.

3-Games are won while the ball is in the air.

4- You design your roster to win a 7 game series not a one game confrontation.

I wrote this about you Mr. West's Avatar
    RoLo scores almost all his points on offensive rebounds and on good passes. He needs to polish that hook shot he tries to do so often snd he'll be a complete package, because at the moment I cringe every time he takes it.

Max Contract Contributor AD23forMVP's Avatar
    Lopez is exactly why all those advanced stats some people like are taken way too seriously.

Rivers, Gordon, Aminu, Davis, and Lopez could end up forming the best starting defensive unit in the league.

Rivers won't start over Vasquez this year, but next year he very well may.

Lopez is playing as well as he did in 2009-2010 when he was healthy and getting quality minutes. His production suffered with injuries and decreased playing time behind Gortat. Unfortunately, the turnovers will continue since he will get more touches than he probably deserves since the team doesn't have many other offensive options. He's not offensively gifted, but brings energy, defense, rebounding, and some offense.

Quote Originally Posted by nolaslim213 View Post
    Rivers, Gordon, Aminu, Davis, and Lopez could end up forming the best starting defensive unit in the league.

Rivers won't start over Vasquez this year, but next year he very well may.
    Yeah, I can see Rivers being a big upgrade defensively over Vasquez who won't ever defend well.

This team is only 28th in pace. Weird, since they appear to go in transition more.

Max Contract Contributor AD23forMVP's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Hornets78 View Post
    Yeah, I can see Rivers being a big upgrade defensively over Vasquez who won't ever defend well.
    I've been incredibly impressed with his defensive ability.

Quote Originally Posted by CP3forMVP View Post
    I've been incredibly impressed with his defensive ability.
    Couldn't agree more. He had a couple of blocks last night that made me literally stand up. You can tell Monty's telling him "look kid, until your offensive game comes around, you'll have to become a good defender first and foremost." That advice may very well be the difference between Rivers being an OJ Mayo score-only type guy, and him being an All-Star because of his contributions on both ends of the floor.

Rivers has been pretty good with on his ball defense. He's having trouble fighting screens right now, but should improve.

Rivers has been pretty good with on his ball defense. He's having trouble fighting screens right now, but should improve.
    He is also still learning what angles he needs to take when his guy gets the ball above the elbow.

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! wuggie's Avatar
    The kid a VERY cerebral player. Very smart and you can tell that by the way he plays on both ends. We can really have a gem on our hands in Austin, just wait and see.

R.I.P. to HunnyB/FlyGirl

I hope you continue to do these advanced stats posts throughout the season. I really enjoy seeing them. Keep up the good work!
    "Davis is gonna be the best Basketball Player Ever. ......Please quote me." -Silverfoxx

Thread Information