Pelicans Report

Page 16 of 34 FirstFirst ... 6 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 26 ... LastLast

Thread: Yahoo Sports report pelicans name is the name {merged}

Quote Originally Posted by LuckySunday View Post
    I can understand bringing up names like Thunder but not Knicks they have too rich of a history and were formed in a diff era. Maybe the Pelicans become historic like that one day but today they are the punch line on every sports talk show blog message board etc...
    And that's what's bothering so many people right?

It is unscientific I agree but I still wouldn't put it past them to test those waters. I also still find the fact that this yahoo article came out on the eve of Dave Stern being in NOLA interesting.. At the very least could mean they've been recently discussing a reband a good bit leading to a face to face based on the timing of Yahoo's info.
    It could also be that the colors slip, along with other information, led yahoo to poke around.

It's possible Stern's visit is important to this, but it could also just be a coincidence.

It could also be a part of some other thing we don't know about.

Pelicans

Definitely better than Hornets, but much prefer Brass, Voodoo, Gators, 2nd Liners, etc. I also don't like the new colors navy blue, gold, and red. And please someone let me know what these colors have to do with Pelicans. Hopefully this poor choice name isn't etched in stone.

Quote Originally Posted by HunnyB View Post
    And that's what's bothering so many people right?
    I can only speak for myself but thats part of it... Winning cures all ails of course but it isn't guaranteed. At the end of the day tho I am VERY glad to still have a Basketball team in state that I can root for.

I can understand bringing up names like Thunder but not Knicks they have too rich of a history and were formed in a diff era. Maybe the Pelicans become historic like that one day but today they are the punch line on every sports talk show blog message board etc...
    History is irrelevant. The name is what it is.

If they were the Pelicans for 50 years, it's ok. But not now?

No. The White Sox. Knicks. Orioles. Browns. Packers. Lame as all hell.

I'm sitting here cackling while wondering how many rebrandistas changed their tune today.

Quote Originally Posted by smcgull View Post
    I hope he changes his mind, and keeps Hornets. If not I will still like the team.
    same feeling

Quote Originally Posted by 42 View Post
    Yeah, if 247 said, it has to be false.

Also, the team isn't on FSNO, FSNO is not on DirecTV, etc, there are no LED boards just added to the Arena, and the Voodoo aren't playing 6 games in the Dome due to the Arena renovations this coming summer.
    I didn't post my original response to this because I should have just expected an overly sensitive, pointless, disrespectful, and most importantly, irrelevant response such as this.
    Quote Originally Posted by Conroy View Post
    I feel like I'm wasting my time compared to Sound.
    Quote Originally Posted by NOLa. View Post
    I think Sound just upped the standards in the league.
    GM of the Year

Why am I not surprised? This organization has a long history of self-humiliation. It's not enough that the team hasn't even gotten to a conference finals in it's first 23 seasons, or had only one division title. Now we have to have the worst name in any pro sports league. LOL! This would be more painful if I hadn't gotten numb to the team's ineptitude a long time ago.

New Orleans Derpbirds. LOL!! What a life.
    Old fan. Tired fan. I want to believe.

Worst sports names......

NBA- Lakers, Magic, Thunder, Blazers, Jazz

NFL- Browns, Jets, Dolphins, Colts

MLB- Phillies, Marlins, Padres
    New Orleans Pelicans-Seattle Seahawks-Atlanta Braves-Anaheim Ducks

RIP HunnyB

This fits HunnyB/FlyGirl so well- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IyzTiSEfM00

Quote Originally Posted by Smirk View Post
    History is irrelevant. The name is what it is.

If they were the Pelicans for 50 years, it's ok. But not now?

No. The White Sox. Knicks. Orioles. Browns. Packers. Lame as all hell.
    History in completely relevant history has made the Knickerbockers Packers and the Soxs pop culture over decades

My point is all of the teams you mentioned spent years as such and have built fan bases and brand recognition around the country.

From day one the Pelicans have a up hill battle against a society that is constantly connected as such you can't compare that to a team that has history is all I'm saying. the Thunder or Bobcats would be a better comparisons.
    Last edited by LuckySunday; 12-04-2012 at 11:16 PM.

Pelicans is not better than the hornets!

Quote Originally Posted by Hornetnojersey View Post
    Why is it that the whole 24/7 crew treat act like they're better than the other fans? damn why must you go that far to diss somebody for not agreeing to a name? it's not that serious dude stop smelling yourself
    It's getting worse every day. But in all fairness, it's not the whole crew.

Quote Originally Posted by Soundwave View Post
    I didn't post my original response to this because I should have just expected an overly sensitive, pointless, disrespectful, and most importantly, irrelevant response such as this.
    Oh, the big scary original response. Thank you for sparing us all.

The response is none of that. It's actually pointing out how utterly wrong you are in your assessment of quality.

Maybe if you know, you can learn. Maybe. But it's been so long already . . .

Hardly being optimistic are you?

Maybe Stern is in town to watch Kobe surpass 30,000 career points.

This name is not bad. It fits and we will all adjust.

Definitely better than Hornets, but much prefer Brass, Voodoo, Gators, 2nd Liners, etc. I also don't like the new colors navy blue, gold, and red. And please someone let me know what these colors have to do with Pelicans. Hopefully this poor choice name isn't etched in stone.

Hardly being optimistic are you?

Quote Originally Posted by Soundwave View Post
    It's getting worse every day. But in all fairness, it's not the whole crew.
    It's getting worse for people who really can't discuss matters intelligently, who only have complaints, who only try to poke at others while being to scared or just incapable of forming their own arguments.

I can only speak for myself but thats part of it... Winning cures all ails of course but it isn't guaranteed. At the end of the day tho I am VERY glad to still have a Basketball team in state that I can root for.

Quote Originally Posted by optimist View Post
    So, did you completely miss the 16 page thread right above this one about the potential Pelican name-switch?

Irrational Optimist Contributor neworleanshoo's Avatar
    this absolutely deserved its own thread.

Quote Originally Posted by NewOrleansBBall View Post
    Maybe Stern is in town to watch Kobe surpass 30,000 career points.

This name is not bad. It fits and we will all adjust.
    ^
    i think a lot of people are taking this personally. charlotte hornets is still on many people's tongues ...this will be a blank slate and will allow the pelicans to establish themselves as a separate entity.

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! Bee-Fense's Avatar
    The colors are the colors on the New Orleans city flag.

Quote Originally Posted by JPHesterly View Post
    ^
    i think a lot of people are taking this personally. charlotte hornets is still on many people's tongues ...this will be a blank slate and will allow the pelicans to establish themselves as a separate entity.
    I completely agree with this.

Pelican may not have been a home run in the eyes of some of our fans, but it's certainly an upgrade over the "Hornets" and all the baggage that this franchise carries.

God, this name change can't be life

Thread Information