Pelicans Report

Page 15 of 34 FirstFirst ... 5 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 25 ... LastLast

Thread: Yahoo Sports report pelicans name is the name {merged}

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! wuggie's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by P Raff View Post
    So what are some nicknames for the Pelicans?

P Cans? Canes? Pels?

This seems like a good sponsorship idea for Canes.
    Axe Birds? Pellies? Something will come naturally lol
    Last edited by wuggie; 12-04-2012 at 10:45 PM.

R.I.P. to HunnyB/FlyGirl

Quote Originally Posted by Veritas View Post
    It only sounds weird because it's new, once it's done and we've been through a season it will be second nature and no one will even think twice about it. Hell not just 4 years ago i remember OKC getting trashed for their color scheme and awful name, now they are good and have been around so no one even cares.
    Thank you! Been saying this all night

I don't get what's some horrid about the name... someone explain it to me?

Quote Originally Posted by QPon20 View Post
    I don't get what's some horrid about the name... someone explain it to me?
    Its not intimidating
    New Orleans Pelicans-Seattle Seahawks-Atlanta Braves-Anaheim Ducks

RIP HunnyB

This fits HunnyB/FlyGirl so well- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IyzTiSEfM00

The colors in the state flag are irrelevant. Gayle Benson said on air that they originally wanted red, gold, and black. But the league rejected black because the league already had "too many blacks" (lol!); so they settled on navy as a substitute. Blue (the primary color of the Louisiana state flag -- actually the state flag is regular blue, not navy blue), was merely a compromise.

It was later spun by the league that these were simply the Bensons' "preference," and that the rebranding process had not yet begun. But if the process had not begun, how could the NBA reject black as a color, as Gayle Benson stated???

I get the impression that, not only has the process begun, but that it's pretty much over and done with.
    Last edited by Broadmoor74; 12-04-2012 at 10:32 PM.
    Support Louisiana businesses.

Quote Originally Posted by LuckySunday View Post
    But with the advent of twitter and other social media they essentially have the world as there focus group with in seconds via one leak so I wouldn't put it past them and it did trend most of the evening.
    Totally unscientific.

Example: How many retirees with time to go to games and money to buy tickets are reacting to this on twitter? Is this the only group that matters? No. But they need to be in the mix in the right amount. The same goes for kids who nag their parents to take them places, etc. etc.

Chris Trew / Terp 2 it Penuckle's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by luckyman View Post
    Can't use that. Language changes with time. You don't hear people in New York calling everything funny or good "a riot" nowadays do you? i never thought Heat was bad, just a bit awkward to hear a name without an "s" at the end back then.

Peilicans though? It's Disney World. Now and forever.
    Things change! But not the thing I hate right now! That will never change! Other things though, they change!
    Trew 2 the Game: New column + podcast every Tuesday on BourbonStShots.com and Itsneworleans.com

Co-founder of The New Movement/Studio8.net
    http://twitter.com/christrew

Quote Originally Posted by Broadmoor74 View Post
    The colors in the state flag are irrelevant. Gayle Benson said on air that they originally wanted red, gold, and black. But the league rejected black because the league already had "too many blacks" (lol!); so they settled on navy as a substitute. Blue (the primary color of the Louisiana state flag, was merely a compromise.

It was later spun by the league that these were simply the Bensons' "preference," and that the rebranding process had not yet begun. But if the process had not begun, how could the NBA reject black as a color, as Gayle Benson stated???

I get the impression that, not only has the process begun, but that it's pretty much over and done with.
    Yes. That bit about the color change indicates that discussions have been ongoing. If the colors `changed' once, then they could change again, so she wouldn't leak them. She did. And why settle on colors without a nickname. So that seems done.

It's not rock solid, but it makes alot of sense.

I've never spent a single second on twitter.

People on the Internet and in Social Media are mostly idiots. Benson should name the team what he wants, not form a committee on tumblr.

http://espn.go.com/video/clip?id=espn:8712141
    lol espn. "Anthony Davis is a big game changing Pelican"
    Last edited by WhoDatPelican; 12-04-2012 at 10:39 PM.

Pelicans is such a {Mod edit-Inappropriate} name that i think it will drag people away from joining the team. Thats how bad this name is.

Just something to throw in, I'm sure Stern and the league office have had discussions with Benson et al and they apparently agree with Benson that it is an acceptable representation of the league. People will get used to it, life will go on, and it will be for eternity.

Quote Originally Posted by Silverfoxx View Post
    This is by far the worst sports name right now. I challenge anyone to verbally say "New Orleans Pelicans".... u cant tell me that doesnt sound goofy and bad.
    Okay, challenge accepted. I did and didn't sound goody. What do I win.

Quote Originally Posted by 42 View Post
    Yes. That bit about the color change indicates that discussions have been ongoing. If the colors `changed' once, then they could change again, so she wouldn't leak them. She did. And why settle on colors without a nickname. So that seems done.

It's not rock solid, but it makes alot of sense.
    Absolutely. In fact, I think the nickname was agreed upon before the colors. I mean, if the nickname were going to be Krewe (a clear, unmistakeable reference to Carnival/Mardi Gras), how would red, gold, and navy even remotely seem appropriate?

My little reach to satisfy someone who was dead set on that was:

Crusaders can be shortened to Cru, which sounds like Krewe.

Benson went to St. Aloysius which became part of Brother Martin, whose colors are a kind of red and gold. Add in the black, the change to blue, keep it as an accent, and there you go.

Not advocating, just trying to make sense of how that could be since we had some `insider' who just knew it wasn't Pelicans. He was told.

Quote Originally Posted by sterlr View Post
    Oh well, the Benson's just screwed themselves out of paraphernalia sales of any kind worth mentioning. I will attend games but won't buy any team merchandise.
    Sounds like this guy was buying millions of dollars worth of merchandise because if HE'S not buying the Benson's just screwed themselves.

Quote Originally Posted by Pantazis76 View Post
    Pelicans is such a {Mod edit-Inappropriate} name that i think it will drag people away from joining the team. Thats how bad this name is.
    Classy.

Also, the Knickerbockers. Lamest name of all. They are doing ok.

Quote Originally Posted by 42 View Post
    Totally unscientific.

Example: How many retirees with time to go to games and money to buy tickets are reacting to this on twitter? Is this the only group that matters? No. But they need to be in the mix in the right amount. The same goes for kids who nag their parents to take them places, etc. etc.

It is unscientific I agree but I still wouldn't put it past them to test those waters. I also still find the fact that this yahoo article came out on the eve of Dave Stern being in NOLA interesting.. At the very least could mean they've been recently discussing a reband a good bit leading to a face to face based on the timing of Yahoo's info.

Quote Originally Posted by Vinny6420 View Post
    I can complain about the name because I don't care where the team is, Im not a New Orleans native.... nor ever even been there, I've been a Hornets fan for a while, since Charlotte days... the name "Pelicans" has NO meaning to me
    Well if you like the name so much go follow it back to Charlotte. This is New Orleans team and the name is pelicans. Man this post made me heated.

On a permanent Holiday! Purple Haze's Avatar
    Another one I was messing around with a few weeks ago for the front of the jersey

Wherehappens.

Quote Originally Posted by Hornets_fan_504 View Post
    Well if you like the name so much go follow it back to Charlotte. This is New Orleans team and the name is pelicans. Man this post made me heated.
    Drink some cold water, to cool yourself of.... k?
    And if you maybe read the post i replied to, then you'd see I was playing Devil'd advocate to what he said.... he said no one should complain because New Orleans finally has a consistent team, so I was saying how that doesnt affect me

Quote Originally Posted by WhoDatHornet View Post
    http://espn.go.com/video/clip?id=espn:8712141
    lol espn. "Anthony Davis is a big game changing Pelican"
    I have a question for ESPN: WTF is a Knickerbocker? Nuggets are rocks. Trial Blazers are people I guess and the Lakers are from Minnesota, not LA.

I have grown so tired of ESPN and watch nothing but their 30 for 30 Series, World Series of Poker - the real one and an occasional game.

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! wuggie's Avatar
    The more I say it, the better it sounds to me. I think it's probably the best name they can come up with. They can make some awesome merch with the name based around a La/NO(fleur de lis', French/Acadian, gulf coast etc) theme. It fits.
    Last edited by wuggie; 12-04-2012 at 10:57 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Smirk View Post
    Classy.

Also, the Knickerbockers. Lamest name of all. They are doing ok.
    I can understand bringing up names like Thunder but not Knicks they have too rich of a history and were formed in a diff era. Maybe the Pelicans become historic like that one day but today they are the punch line on every sports talk show blog message board etc...

Quote Originally Posted by Pantazis76 View Post
    Yeah, I have never once seen my nephew Cory because I think that name is so lame. It's like, they could have named him anything and they chose Cory. Cory?! I thought it was a boy, why not give it a boy name? Cory could go either way. Go ahead and try it, say the name "Cory" and I bet you sound all weird and automatically think of a girl. I just asked my roommates if they knew who Cory was and they all said "I don't know, some girl?" so yeah, Cory is dumb.

Pantazis76 is right. That's how bad this name is. He think it will drag people away from joining the team. Man, it got that bad that the team got him to think that. Man. That's crazy.

Thread Information