Pelicans Report

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: With possible future trades aside, what does our cap situation look like next year?

I would choose Randle if we had to choose between him and Niko. Jules ceiling is so much higher, he has star potential. Niko will never be more than just a very good role player. Randle's already the better player.

Quote Originally Posted by HoustonPelicans View Post
    I would choose Randle if we had to choose between him and Niko. Jules ceiling is so much higher, he has star potential. Niko will never be more than just a very good role player. Randle's already the better player.
    I'll reserve the 'better' judgement till I see him on the court. I've seen too many Laker fans trash Randle for his decision making a ball-hogging. He may be nothing much more than a slightly better Terrence Jones.

Quote Originally Posted by Impose View Post
    I'll reserve the 'better' judgement till I see him on the court. I've seen too many Laker fans trash Randle for his decision making a ball-hogging. He may be nothing much more than a slightly better Terrence Jones.
    I've never heard those critiques. Link?

Julius is clearly the better player than Niko by every metric except shooting. Better ball handler, better passer, better driver, better post player, better scorer, better defender, better rebounder, better athlete, higher IQ.

Julius is clearly the better player than Niko by every metric except shooting. Better ball handler, better passer, better driver, better post player, better scorer, better defender, better rebounder, better athlete, higher IQ.
    I mean Julius is good but my personal opinion as of now in nico... I just have to see about Randle
    https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BrEtGIuCYAAUHds.jpg

I've just read it from Laker fans the past few years. They had the same problems with Randle we had with Boogie; stupid turnovers trying to do too much, can get tunnel vision at times and miss wide open players. It really doesn't matter who the 'better' player is. The fit next to Davis up front is the main thing, and it's been proven that Niko works perfectly with AD. Randle should be the 6th man but we'll see what Gentry does.

I mean it's simply too early to tell. Randle was a good player on an extremely bad basketball team. Not only that but the switch of him playing more 5 I'm sure caught many teams by surprise, if they even really cared to scout the Lakers last year.

He is now going into a situation where he joins a playoff team and other teams will be prepared. I expect growing pains.

The whole "who's the better player" is irrelevant unless you are talking about the absolute top tier of player. Even if we said Randle is an 85 and Niko is an 83, that doesn't matter. How each player fits into the system and fits next to AD will determine things far more than who in some imaginary vacuum is better.

Quote Originally Posted by Pelicanidae View Post
    I actually think, in terms of fit and positions and whatnot, that I'd take Klay over Durant. Not in a vacuum, obviously Durant is the better player, but I think for our system, in tandem with guys like Jrue, Niko, and AD, Klay would be perfect. Kawhi also. Durant would be third in that wish list.

Not that it matters because we're almost guaranteed to get none of them.
    Generally, I'm a firm believer in the importance of fit as a counterbalance to talent. That logic goes out the window when you're talking about the second best player in the world and one of the greatest scorers of all time. KD would elevate the ceiling of this team to absurd levels. Don't overthink it. Some decisions are pretty simple. This would be one of them.

"I'm not going to allow my putative owner to answer that question, this is an NBA related press conference. Paul Tagliabue and Roger Goodell have collectively sung their praises of Tom and if uh ESPN has a problem with that tell Mr. Skipper to call me at my office."

Quote Originally Posted by Mythrol View Post
    I mean it's simply too early to tell. Randle was a good player on an extremely bad basketball team. Not only that but the switch of him playing more 5 I'm sure caught many teams by surprise, if they even really cared to scout the Lakers last year.

He is now going into a situation where he joins a playoff team and other teams will be prepared. I expect growing pains.

The whole "who's the better player" is irrelevant unless you are talking about the absolute top tier of player. Even if we said Randle is an 85 and Niko is an 83, that doesn't matter. How each player fits into the system and fits next to AD will determine things far more than who in some imaginary vacuum is better.

This.
    Last edited by PelsFan2313; 08-02-2018 at 10:22 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by PelsFan2313 View Post
    Generally, I'm a firm believer in the importance of fit as a counterbalance to talent. That logic goes out the window when you're talking about the second best player in the world and one of the greatest scorers of all time. KD would elevate the ceiling of this team to absurd levels. Don't overthink it. Some decisions are pretty simple. This would be one of them.
    I'm not talking about the second best player in the world, I'm talking about KD. Fourth best player in the world.

1) LeBron
    2) Healthy Kawhi
    3) AD
    4) Durant.
    Basketball.

Quote Originally Posted by tyler View Post
    I would rather Nico tbh.... plays defense can hit the 3 and put the ball on the floor... the dude is beast only thing is him not being athletic
    I agree, but Demps may feel differently.

Lakers werent really that bad, especially around the time Randle was playing well in the new year. Randle is also pretty talented. I'm not sure there's a single bigman in the league, Davis included, that has his combination of skills under their umbrella. Quick, bruising, blazing fast in the open court with good ball handling defensive switchability, and not bad playmaking. Giannis is maybe on his way, AD isnt nearly the bruiser Randle is, his body wouldnt hold up if he played like Randle. Rand'e has a lot of holes in his game that have held him back for a while, but he's seemed to make large strides defensively and really mastered his core skills.

There may be some spacing, duplicity of role overlap between Randle and Davis, and growing pains for the team in that respect, but I expect Randle to at least be individually productive. The contract year shoukd bring the extra motivation.

Quote Originally Posted by Impose View Post
    I've just read it from Laker fans the past few years. They had the same problems with Randle we had with Boogie; stupid turnovers trying to do too much, can get tunnel vision at times and miss wide open players. It really doesn't matter who the 'better' player is. The fit next to Davis up front is the main thing, and it's been proven that Niko works perfectly with AD. Randle should be the 6th man but we'll see what Gentry does.
    That must have been a minority of fans, most Lakers fans thought very highly of Randle and was upset he left. At least that's the consensus gathered from their Forums, Twitter and social media comments.

But you're right fit is important. I think Randle will be a better fit. He can create with the ball in his hand, which will allow AD to play off him. He's athletic and moves well, so he can play off AD as well. Randle and AD seem to be a more formidable defensive duo as well, as Randle can guard 5 positions effectively. Whereas Niko can only guard 2 positions.
    Niko is a good fit next to AD, but he is limited. Warriors turned him into strictly a jump shooter in the playoffs and he disappeared for most of the series and shot 39% FG on 53 shots and his defense was not as effective either.

Jrue and AD count for $53M
    Moore and Hill are guaranteed for $19,5M
    Frank has TO of $1,6M

Mirotic cap hold is for $18,8M

Jrue, AD, Frank, Mirotic are worth cap wise $73,4M
    add to this minimum capholds for 8 players (not counting Payton, Randle, Clark, Diallo, Moore, Hill) --- ~$13M

so renouncing all the other guys (doubtful), staying with Niko, Pels can have at best ~$25M in room.
    so forget about max players using cap space

Quote Originally Posted by pawel View Post
    Jrue and AD count for $53M
    Moore and Hill are guaranteed for $19,5M
    Frank has TO of $1,6M

Mirotic cap hold is for $18,8M

Jrue, AD, Frank, Mirotic are worth cap wise $73,4M
    add to this minimum capholds for 8 players (not counting Payton, Randle, Clark, Diallo, Moore, Hill) --- ~$13M

so renouncing all the other guys (doubtful), staying with Niko, Pels can have at best ~$25M in room.
    so forget about max players using cap space
    I could see Dell trying hard to move Solo with at least a first. That would open up a max spot. If Jackson comes on, this could make Moore expendable as well.

Sign Kawhi or Butler with cap space. Then attain championship
    Last edited by AusPel; 08-03-2018 at 01:34 AM.

$25M is without any money for Hill and Moore.
    Pels can go to the max renouncing Niko (or trading earlier) and staying with Randle.
    Pels will rather trade for 'Max ' guy
    Last edited by pawel; 08-03-2018 at 02:40 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by pawel View Post
    $25M is without any money for Hill and Moore.
    Pels can go to the max renouncing Niko (or trading earlier) and staying with Randle.
    Pels will rather trade for 'Max ' guy
    With what assets lol

Quote Originally Posted by Pelifan View Post
    There may be some spacing, duplicity of role overlap between Randle and Davis, and growing pains for the team in that respect, but I expect Randle to at least be individually productive.
    I don't disagree with this. I'm just not ready to claim him the long term answer next to AD over Niko yet.

Quote Originally Posted by AusPel View Post
    With what assets lol
    Expirings. First. Moore. Diallo. Mirotic. Maybe Frank if he will show something.
    Those are assets to use in Jan/Feb.
    Right now they wont give you Barnes/Middleton

I don't disagree with this. I'm just not ready to claim him the long term answer next to AD over Niko yet.
    I'm saying ppl overhype Randle a lot... I just look at him as a serviceable replacement for boogie.. I see him as our Odom for the Lakers... a great 6th man

Quote Originally Posted by tyler View Post
    I'm saying ppl overhype Randle a lot... I just look at him as a serviceable replacement for boogie.. I see him as our Odom for the Lakers... a great 6th man
    Our opinions probably line up pretty close on this. At least until Randle proves otherwise.

Isn't Randle an Israelite?

Quote Originally Posted by Pelicanidae View Post
    I'm not talking about the second best player in the world, I'm talking about KD. Fourth best player in the world.

1) LeBron
    2) Healthy Kawhi
    3) AD
    4) Durant.
    You're entitled to that opinion, but a healthy majority of people would disagree with that assessment. Regardless, those rankings still do not justify favoring Klay over KD for this team. The talent margin between the two is substantial, regardless of how perfect Klay is for today's style of play. My premise still stands. Fit is important, but takes a backseat when it comes to adding truly elite talent.
    Last edited by PelsFan2313; 08-03-2018 at 10:38 AM.

Our FA will happen near the trade deadline when we pick up a, Butler,Middleton,Barnes,Harris, maybe even Kemba type of player where we have their bird rights..

Next offseason ideally you hope Randle opts in (or takes the 10% raise), re-sign Niko and whoever you traded for using their bird rights, then supermax AD...

Dell will pull off a big trade in season dumping some salary (Hill and maybe Moore) and bringing in a big name

All this is assuming we dont just dump salary and let Mirotic or Randle walk... If we wanted we could realistically make enough room for a max player

No one would take Klay over KD on any team. Just stop it.

Lol I can’t believe he just said KD was the fourth best player in the game

Thread Information