Pelicans Report

Thread: Thomas Robinson?

Question Thomas Robinson?

How would you feel if the Pelicans took a flyer on Thomas Robinson? Robinson was drafted by the Kings in the 1st round in 2012, he is 6'10, and very high energy player. He is an unrestricted free agent, who played last year for the Lakers. I was reading were the Lakers really like his game but didn't resign him because of the numbers game.
    This could be another descent big off the bench, 5.0 ppg and 4.5 rebounds.
    www.yahoosports.com

I thought that we are looking for 3/4 not 4/5.
    Unless we will part ways with both Asik and Ajinca...

Our problem this season is with roster spots.
    Not including two-way players we will have 14 roster spots (sans Hill) for most of the regular season.
    We have a rookie in Jackson and long -term injured player in QPon.

We will have to be smart there.
    This is why I expect no Crawford...

Quote Originally Posted by pawel View Post
    Not including two-way players we will have 14 roster spots (sans Hill) for most of the regular season.

Clark makes Crawford somewhat expendable

If it comes down to Gritz or DC, Cunningam has to win. Especially now
    Last edited by AusPel; 08-29-2017 at 12:57 AM.

Your Crawford stance is...odd to say the least. He's an obvious 3rd guard candidate, and represents virtually the entire proven NBA scoring punch off the bench at the moment.

And Robinson...its both surprising the way his career has gone because he's a high energy rebounder, and not surprising given that he's got a single digit basketball IQ and has always seemed to think rather more of himself than his teams have. He puts up good per minute rebounding numbers wherever he goes, and yet somehow team after team find ways to live without him the next season. 6 teams in 5 years, and most of them have been the absolute worst teams in the league too. Teams you should be able to establish a foothold with if you are going to anywhere. In any case, since Boogie/Brow/Diallo/Ajinca and Asik are all still with the Pels, and if there was one more biggish player the most logical fit would seem to be a stretch 4 (ala Cunningham), there doesn't seem like much need for TRob unless you are convinced that Diallo is still not ready and is going to spend the whole year in the D-League/G-League / whatever league.
    Last edited by Bricklayer; 08-29-2017 at 01:01 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Bricklayer View Post
    Your Crawford stance is...odd to say the least. He's an obvious 3rd guard candidate, and represents virtually the entire proven NBA scoring punch off the bench at the moment.
    It's just my feelings

You have Rondo, Holiday, Moore, Clark above him in my rankings. With all respect, but Moore is 6th man for this team (equal to 3rd guard)
    Heck, even Miller and healthy QPon can play at 2. I am not saying right now that Miller and QPon are better options than him (but I expect it soon).

Earlier I thought that Pels will play 3 guard line-ups very often. But after last BBR with Gentry I doubt it.

Also there is a reason why Pels agreed not to guarantee his deal on August 1st. They at least are considering cutting him.

backcourt-Rondo, Holiday, Moore, Clark, Crawford, Jackson
    frontcourt-AD, DMC, Hill (injured), Diallo, Miller, Asik, Ajinca, QPon

1 empty roster spot.
    You still dont know what You will get from Q.

It might be easier when Alexis and Asik will be cut without taking players back (small chance - I expect one stretch and one trade). So You need one player who might play C. Even Robinson.

best case - You have 12 players (with Grits, without Asik and Ajinca). You have AD, DMC, Diallo, Miller and QPon for FC.

3 roster spots - you sign SF (maybe combo forward) - f.e. Dante, somebody who can play C (lets say Robinson) and a shooter (Dunleavy).

In that case I am fine with Grits. But I don't see Pels stretching two centers without taking salary back (it is at worst 5,5 millions annually)...

Of course Pels may target exact player in a trade for Ajinca and pick.
    So stretch Asik and trade Ajinca and 1st for lets say Warren (dont like). In that case you are not losing roster spot for bad contract.
    I just expect Dell targeting the trade first, and in a trade you can get bad salaries back...

My thinking is there is no way we go into the season with both Ajinca and Asik, i believe one or both will be moved. With that in mind Robinson wouldn't be a bad big to have on the bench, plus he would come really cheap. This is not a player i would consider for a long term contract, i thinking a one year deal.

Agree

Two bigs outgoing means one big or combo big arriving. On a one year contract.

Here are interesting options for our remaining roster spots. FA.
    backcourt-T. Allen, A. Anderson, Barbosa, Foye, Morrow, Udrih, Terry
    frontcourt-Barnes, Dante, Diaw, Dunleavy, G.Green, Humphries, Lee, Robinson, Rush, Zeller

All of them are better options for now than Asik & Ajinca (I mean per roster spots blocked by them)

Agree

Two bigs outgoing means one big or combo big arriving. On a one year contract.

Here are interesting options for our remaining roster spots. FA.
    backcourt-T. Allen, A. Anderson, Barbosa, Foye, Morrow, Udrih, Terry
    frontcourt-Barnes, Dante, Diaw, Dunleavy, G.Green, Humphries, Lee, Robinson, Rush, Zeller

All of them are better options for now than Asik & Ajinca (I mean per roster spots blocked by them)
    I'd hold off on dreams of trading both. It's gonna take a 1st and a 2nd to move Asik unless he's stretched

Only way to trade Asik is to stretch him.
    The additional cost is too high IMO.

Ajinca on the other hand can be dump without first rounder.
    Also he may agree for discount buyout.

Best case for me.
    We stretch both. On a discount.

Ajinca 7,5 millions (from 10,5 millions)-->>>1.5m/5 years
    Asik 20 millions (from 25 millions)--->>> 2.86m/7 years

And we have all picks. For trades

Only way to trade Asik is to stretch him.
    The additional cost is too high IMO.

Ajinca on the other hand can be dump without first rounder.
    Also he may agree for discount buyout.

Best case for me.
    We stretch both. On a discount.

Ajinca 7,5 millions (from 10,5 millions)-->>>1.5m/5 years
    Asik 20 millions (from 25 millions)--->>> 2.86m/7 years

And we have all picks. For trades
    Does Dell have until September 1 to stretch Asik?

We have time till August 31 (midnight?) to stretch any player.
    In other case his salary for 17/8 cannot be stretched.

He is about to go to the Celtics
    CAW CAW!!!

-Founder and valuable member of the Caw Caw Boyz-

he is working with Celts. There is long way to sign contract

I would love to sign Robinson similar to Jones last season. I think playing alongside Boogie and AD could really help his game out. He more 6'8-6'9 but strong and tough. Could be a good addition to this team and imo the best available.

Quote Originally Posted by GuardianAngel25 View Post
    I would love to sign Robinson similar to Jones last season. I think playing alongside Boogie and AD could really help his game out. He more 6'8-6'9 but strong and tough. Could be a good addition to this team and imo the best available.
    Didn't really work that way in Sac. His best minutes were off the bench, often in garbagetime.

He's a really undisciplined player. Light in the loafers, and gets bounced around by big guys. Can't provide spacing, and has a very low basketball IQ. Always trying to do too much, fouling and turning the ball over. Really just kind of an aggressive undersized athlete in search of a game. The less serious and more up and down the game, the better he does. The more disciplined halfcourt ball you want to play, the more he struggles.

The signs were really there in college for those who wanted to see them. He largely just relied on physically overwhelming smaller college defenders. Got to the pros and guys weren't small anymore.

Thread Information