Pelicans Report

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: We need to give props to Dell

We need to give props to Dell

Every offseason we expect to gain minimal players like a Trey Burke. Who looks like hes not even in utah future plans. But Dell blew our expectations out the water and signed Jrue, an 23yo allstar 2 way pg. We (Me) also wanted to an aging Iggy who looks to be in a decline and he beat that and signed a 24yo Tyreke on a cheaper contract. This offseason we were looking at players like PJ Tucker and Jordan Hill to improve our defense. He then blew what we thought was possible and grabbed Asik with out losing any talent and salary cap wizardry. The perfect player for this team and to play next to AD. He surrounded a talented team around AD and realized it's not worth taking gambles or players that can be bust like Bennett. Or waiting for RFA to get grossly overpaid like Klay will. Just for them not to pan out and leave due to overpay in turn will soon lose your star player. This team will only keep getting better as they enter their primes. AD has more talent surroundin him than Lebron, Dwight, and Melo ever did at the beginning of their careers. Also I'm sure this is purposely done one year in to AD's new contract we'll still have max money to sign a top free agent.

A toast to Dell for putting this team together and to Benson for revitalizing this team and making it feel like our own which the Hornets never really felt like. Also to a healthy season and the playoffs!
    Last edited by 504ByrdGang; 09-25-2014 at 10:09 AM.

1-6

I'd rather overpay klay than gordon. Dude had money to spend. The Jazz just had a draft pick and snagged burke

Let's see if his moves result in success before crowning him.

a toast to him from me as well!

Quote Originally Posted by Writhe View Post
    I'd rather overpay klay than gordon. Dude had money to spend. The Jazz just had a draft pick and snagged burke
    I'd rather not overpay anyone.

And i was under the assumption that the verb snag was used only referring to something/one of value? No? My mistake.

i like Dell but for all his hard work Monty {edited}

Ok I have to interject here. Demps hasn't been awful, but we have no idea how this team will pan out. On paper it's not even all that great without getting into the regular Davis debate. There's still some redundancy among Holiday, Evans, and Gordon. Evans has not been good at SF when he has played there so he's likely to come off the bench with Anderson. Speaking of the bench outside of Anderson and Evans(if he indeed is coming off the bench) it's is still a huge question mark. And we are capped out with a team that'll most likely come in last place in our own division.

This team does have some good young vets so there's always a chance to make the playoffs. However they are without much experience together and really we have no idea with the identity of this team will be next year. Asik should make life easier for Davis when they play together that's really the only move that Dell made where I don't think there's is a question mark next season. If we do start Holiday/Gordon/Evans because Evans is only effective on ball offensively that will mean Holiday and to a lesser degree Gordon will all have to give up that part of their games up to fit. I highly doubt we'll be able to play major mins with Asik/Davis/Anderson on court together. And while I like picking up Jimmer he's terrible on defense, and I have no idea what to expect from Salmons, Young, and Smith.

All is not doomed because talent can raise and we have some, but it's not the top end talent that usually over comes a lack of chemistry and fit. It'll be exciting to watch it all play out as a fan I guess I should be thankful for that.
    Last edited by da ThRONe; 09-25-2014 at 02:04 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by da ThRONe View Post
    Ok I have to interject here. Demps hasn't been awful, but we have no idea how this team will pan out. On paper it's not even all that great without getting into the regular Davis debate. There's still some redundancy among Holiday, Evans, and Gordon. Evans has not been good at SF when he has played there so he's likely to come off the bench with Anderson. Speaking of the bench outside of Anderson and Evans(if he indeed is coming off the bench) it's is still a huge question mark. And we are capped out with a team that'll most likely come in last place in our own division.

This team does have so good young vets so there's always a chance to make the playoffs. However they are without much experience together and really we have no idea with the identity of this team will be next year. Asik should make life easier for Davis when they play together that's really the only move that Dell made where I don't is a question mark next season. If we do start Holiday/Gordon/Evans because Evans is only effective on ball offensively that will mean Holiday and to a lesser degree Gordon will all have to give up that part of their games up to fit. I highly doubt we'll be able to play major mins with Asik/Davis/Anderson on court together. And while I like picking up Jimmer he's terrible on defense, and I have no idea what to expect from Salmons, Young, and Smith.

All is not doomed because talent can raise and we have some, but it's not the top end talent that usually over comes a lack of chemistry and fit. It'll be exciting to watch it all play out as a fan I guess I should be thankful for that.
    Evans 22/6/5 as a sf bruh

Demps>Monty.
    CAW CAW!!!

-Founder and valuable member of the Caw Caw Boyz-

Why are we talking about Trey Burke? And who says that he is on his way out in Utah? Any way we can get in on the action that brings him here?
    If you Jimmer it, they will come.

Quote Originally Posted by UNO Gracias View Post
    Why are we talking about Trey Burke? And who says that he is on his way out in Utah? Any way we can get in on the action that brings him here?
    Op just wanted to jab at throne I'm sure

"I don't know if people know — I dislocated my pinkie finger. And [Tyreke] told me, 'You wanna go home or you wanna be here?' I want to be here. And he said, 'All right, then go tape it up and let's play. Let's go. We not stoppin' at no stores. Straight gas. That's what we do, just keep going.'"

http://thebasketbawlblog.com/

I would take Burke as a backup to Jrue all day every day.

Quote Originally Posted by 504ByrdGang View Post
    Every offseason we expect to gain minimal players like a Trey Burke. Who looks like hes not even in utah future plans. But Dell blew our expectations out the water and signed Jrue, an 23yo allstar 2 way pg. We (Me) also wanted to an aging Iggy who looks to be in a decline and he beat that and signed a 24yo Tyreke on a cheaper contract. This offseason we were looking at players like PJ Tucker and Jordan Hill to improve our defense. He then blew what we thought was possible and grabbed Asik with out losing any talent and salary cap wizardry. The perfect player for this team and to play next to AD. He surrounded a talented team around AD and realized it's not worth taking gambles or players that can be bust like Bennett. Or waiting for RFA to get grossly overpaid like Klay will. Just for them not to pan out and leave due to overpay in turn will soon lose your star player. This team will only keep getting better as they enter their primes. AD has more talent surroundin him than Lebron, Dwight, and Melo ever did at the beginning of their careers. Also I'm sure this is purposely done one year in to AD's new contract we'll still have max money to sign a top free agent.

A toast to Dell for putting this team together and to Benson for revitalizing this team and making it feel like our own which the Hornets never really felt like. Also to a healthy season and the playoffs!
    Agreed with just about everything you have said. Did he do everything perfect no. But did he do a damn good job. YES! We could be stuck with the Suns GM or with Jeff Bower lol. Or a race card playing Hawks GM. Think about it. Is he the best ever....no. But is very good and has made the team better and not worse....YUP. There are a lot of bad GMs out there that makes teams worse since they took over. Dell has not made us worse. He hasn't kept us in the same spot. He has made us better. Nobody gets things right 100% of the time. I will take the 80% that Dell gets right all day long.

Pelicans

This team does have so good young vets so there's always a chance to make the playoffs. However they are without much experience together and really we have no idea with the identity of this team will be next year. Asik should make life easier for Davis when they play together that's really the only move that Dell made where I don't is a question mark next season. If we do start Holiday/Gordon/Evans because Evans is only effective on ball offensively that will mean Holiday and to a lesser degree Gordon will all have to give up that part of their games up to fit. I highly doubt we'll be able to play major mins with Asik/Davis/Anderson on court together. And while I like picking up Jimmer he's terrible on defense, and I have no idea what to expect from Salmons, Young, and Smith.

I have to disagree here. Dell has done a great job of acquiring talent since he got here. You are upset about a redundancy at the gaurd position but you would have done the same thing if ur starting two in Gordon cannot stay healthy. And why can't tyreke start alongside Jrue and Gordon? Evans' first start came in the "elevator game" vs phx in a lineup with roberts and gordon. If his play rose with the dribble king that is Roberts, I think he will be okay with a point who is one of the best at setting up others. Also, why does everyone forget that Jrue came from a similar setup in Philly? I remember Jrue coexisting with Iggy, Evan turner, and lou williams on their way to the second round of the playoffs!!!!

By the way, i like the 3-gaurd line up. Why not force teams to have their three best on-ball defenders in the game. Jrue, tyreke, and gordon are not small guards either, all 3 are strong guys who can finish at the rim. With the pick and roll bigs we have in AD, ryno, and Asik, this team can be a top 5 offense in the league in my opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by Julio View Post
    I have to disagree here. Dell has done a great job of acquiring talent since he got here. You are upset about a redundancy at the gaurd position but you would have done the same thing if ur starting two in Gordon cannot stay healthy. And why can't tyreke start alongside Jrue and Gordon? Evans' first start came in the "elevator game" vs phx in a lineup with roberts and gordon. If his play rose with the dribble king that is Roberts, I think he will be okay with a point who is one of the best at setting up others. Also, why does everyone forget that Jrue came from a similar setup in Philly? I remember Jrue coexisting with Iggy, Evan turner, and lou williams on their way to the second round of the playoffs!!!!

By the way, i like the 3-gaurd line up. Why not force teams to have their three best on-ball defenders in the game. Jrue, tyreke, and gordon are not small guards either, all 3 are strong guys who can finish at the rim. With the pick and roll bigs we have in AD, ryno, and Asik, this team can be a top 5 offense in the league in my opinion.
    You do realize it was Demps who traded for Gordon and then also choose to keep Eric? It's not like he inherited Gordon and that contract.

I didn't say Evans couldn't start along side Gordon and Holiday. Given our other options at the 3 Williams may very well choose to go this route. The problem is Evans can't shoot so he has to have the ball to be effective and he can't defend the vast majority of SF's in the league. If both Holiday and Gordon buy into a system that takes the ball out of their hands more than it can be effective as both Holiday and Gordon can shoot the ball well. Also because neither of the 3 where great defensively last year(even though Holiday's poor defensives effort could have been based on his injury as he has been a good defender up until last year) it'll put a great deal of pressure on 4 or 5. If we expect to close games with Holiday/Gordon/Evans/Anderson/Davis this will be a very poor defensives team based on what I saw last year.

So whilel the 3 guard set may work if you have Davis and Anderson as the 5 and 4 respectively offensively what you lose defensively is much more damning IMO. And having Asik and Evans on the floor could be a problem as any smart coach would back off of Evans and dare him to shoot and really pay little attention to Asik as he's not really an offensive threat.
    Last edited by da ThRONe; 09-25-2014 at 02:36 PM.

The Voice of Reason Contributor RaisingTheBar's Avatar
    At the time what better young talent was available in a trade for CP3? It's not like he made a wrong choice with the trade. The 1 and only TRULY bad decision Dell has made IMO is giving Gordon that max extension. But some will argue we didn't have a choice. I would have rathered try out someone else in FA, but that's just me. But let's not act like at the time the trade for Gordon was a bad thing. It was the best option, hindsight is.......

Pelicans

You do realize it was Demps who traded for Gordon and then also choose to keep Eric? It's not like he inherited Gordon and that contract.

I didn't say Evans couldn't start along side Gordon and Holiday. Given our other options at the 3 Williams may very well choose to go this route. The problem is Evans can't shoot so he has to have the ball to be effective and he can't defend the vast majority of SF's in the league. If both Holiday and Gordon buy into a system that takes the ball out of their hands more than it can be effective as both Holiday and Gordon can shoot the ball well. Also because neither of the 3 where great defensively last year(even though Holiday's poor defensives effort could have been based on his injury as he has been a good defender up until last year) it'll put a great deal of pressure on 4 or 5. If we expect to close games with Holiday/Gordon/Evans/Anderson/Davis this will be a very poor defensives team based on what I saw last year.

So whilel the 3 guard set may work if you have Davis and Anderson as the 5 and 4 respectively offensively what you lose defensively is much more damning IMO. And having Asik and Evans on the floor could be a problem as any smart coach would back off of Evans and dare him to shoot and really pay little attention to Asik as he's not really an offensive threat.
    Of course he had to keep eric gordon. You dont let the key peice in a trade walk away After playing in a lockout shortened/injury plagued year. How is dell gonna sell his new boss on "okay i know i just traded for this young guy but he said some mean things in a article." Also this team went through the toughest part of the schedule with no AD and playing aminu, ryan, and jason as our 3 big rotation and still was 1 game under .500 before january. Even with all those defensive and rebounding problems. I think this team is going to be okay

Quote Originally Posted by RaisingTheBar View Post
    At the time what better young talent was available in a trade for CP3? It's not like he made a wrong choice with the trade. The 1 and only TRULY bad decision Dell has made IMO is giving Gordon that max extension. But some will argue we didn't have a choice. I would have rathered try out someone else in FA, but that's just me. But let's not act like at the time the trade for Gordon was a bad thing. It was the best option, hindsight is.......
    Is this directed at me? Because if it is I never said the trade was a bad one. Just making a point that Gordon being on this team was a Demps move ever step of the way.

I agree with you that the problem was matching the deal not the trade itself. I thought we should have traded him when we were unable to re-sign Gordon. Waiting into RFA was a mistake and matching was an even bigger one. And of course I was here stating my opposition to those moves while the process was playing out so there was no hindsight on my part.

This team does have some good young vets so there's always a chance to make the playoffs. However they are without much experience together and really we have no idea with the identity of this team will be next year. Asik should make life easier for Davis when they play together that's really the only move that Dell made where I don't think there's is a question mark next season. If we do start Holiday/Gordon/Evans because Evans is only effective on ball offensively that will mean Holiday and to a lesser degree Gordon will all have to give up that part of their games up to fit. I highly doubt we'll be able to play major mins with Asik/Davis/Anderson on court together. And while I like picking up Jimmer he's terrible on defense, and I have no idea what to expect from Salmons, Young, and Smith.

I agree with this Throne. I get that Reke was insurance for Gordon but what happens if Gordon actually plays? We'll find out this year. Reke's game is built for regular season but as soon as we get to the playoffs, look forward to Reke having tons of space between him and his defender. They'll let him shoot the entire game from the outside. Also, can someone explain why we want our PG to play off ball so that Reke can be ball dominant? I'd really like the PG to have the ball in his hands vs standing around waiting to get a shot. I don't get that premise. All signs point to Dell should have put more effort into (not saying that he didn't attempt to) getting a legit 3. Reke is a hybrid guard (qualities of both positions but not good enough to be either full time IMO) that for him to be effective others have to alter their games. As I recall, Reke was most effective when everybody was hurt. There is a reason for that. I'd love to see Reke develop his game so that others can be themselves and Reke still be effective.
    The most overused words on Pelicansreport.com. Wrongly, I might add.

ELITE - (often used with a plural verb) the choice or best of anything considered collectively, as of a group or class of persons.

GREAT - notable; remarkable; exceptionally outstanding

These words should not be used lightly

Quote Originally Posted by Julio View Post
    Of course he had to keep eric gordon. You dont let the key peice in a trade walk away After playing in a lockout shortened/injury plagued year. How is dell gonna sell his new boss on "okay i know i just traded for this young guy but he said some mean things in a article." Also this team went through the toughest part of the schedule with no AD and playing aminu, ryan, and jason as our 3 big rotation and still was 1 game under .500 before january. Even with all those defensive and rebounding problems. I think this team is going to be okay
    I keep hearing this, but there's no intelligent reason behind it. You don't compound a mistake by throwing money at it and hoping all goes well. That is a low percentage decision. We could have traded him to avoid coming away with nothing. Demps waited for the market to set the price for Gordon in a year without a ton of big names free agents and it bite him. It's pretty much that simple.

I guess it depends on what you mean by "OK". I expect this team to be competitive next year. I would define that as "OK" so I agree with you. Will "OK" get us into the playoffs in a loaded Western conference if I had to bet I'd say no right now.

Quote Originally Posted by UptownFuz504 View Post
    I agree with this Throne. I get that Reke was insurance for Gordon but what happens if Gordon actually plays? We'll find out this year. Reke's game is built for regular season but as soon as we get to the playoffs, look forward to Reke having tons of space between him and his defender. They'll let him shoot the entire game from the outside. Also, can someone explain why we want our PG to play off ball so that Reke can be ball dominant? I'd really like the PG to have the ball in his hands vs standing around waiting to get a shot. I don't get that premise. All signs point to Dell should have put more effort into (not saying that he didn't attempt to) getting a legit 3. Reke is a hybrid guard (qualities of both positions but not good enough to be either full time IMO) that for him to be effective others have to alter their games. As I recall, Reke was most effective when everybody was hurt. There is a reason for that. I'd love to see Reke develop his game so that others can be themselves and Reke still be effective.
    Well the good thing about Jrue is he can play off the ball better than most quality PG's in the league, but I agree with you. One of the things that make Holiday as good as he is are his PG's skills. So as a team when you are forced to make guys play away from their strengths in order to "fit" those players usual lose value. Which is why I said I can't even see healthy Eric Gordon with the Clippers being an all-star on this team. Because Holiday and Evans would have to concede too much for Gordon to be able to play that way. Having a bunch of talent is good. Having a team that's a excellent fit is much better. We have the former not the latter IMO. Again Monty has a full offseason to figure this out.

Pelicans

I keep hearing this, but there's no intelligent reason behind it. You don't compound a mistake by throwing money at it and hoping all goes well. That is a low percentage decision. We could have traded him to avoid coming away with nothing. Demps waited for the market to set the price for Gordon in a year without a ton of big names free agents and it bite him. It's pretty much that simple.

I guess it depends on what you mean by "OK". I expect this team to be competitive next year. I would define that as "OK" so I agree with you. Will "OK" get us into the playoffs in a loaded Western conference if I had to bet I'd say no right now.
    Bro this is not 2k, you think teams want to give up their assets for a player on the last year of his deal and missing time due to a unknown knee injury? Lol
    And when i meant OK, i meant in this te will be fine in making the playoffs. The weat doesn't scare me like it may too you. I see alot of playoff teams with question marks as well
    Last edited by Julio; 09-25-2014 at 03:29 PM.

The Voice of Reason Contributor RaisingTheBar's Avatar
    Is this directed at me? Because if it is I never said the trade was a bad one. Just making a point that Gordon being on this team was a Demps move ever step of the way.

I agree with you that the problem was matching the deal not the trade itself. I thought we should have traded him when we were unable to re-sign Gordon. Waiting into RFA was a mistake and matching was an even bigger one. And of course I was here stating my opposition to those moves while the process was playing out so there was no hindsight on my part.
    You asked if the poster realized that Demps was the one that traded for Gordon and decided to keep him. My thing is what else was he supposed to do at the time? No one knew that Gordon would miss over a seasons worth of games in 3 years here. Personally I would have let him walk, but if Gordon would have been healthy the trade and extension probably would have looked like a great move.

People questioned what dell did but in the same situation phx just did the same

Thread Information