Pelicans Report

Page 5 of 34 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 15 ... LastLast

Thread: Yahoo Sports report pelicans name is the name {merged}

The Voice of Reason Contributor RaisingTheBar's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by DRob8785 View Post
    This thread is embarrassing.

This board -- and the wider world -- would have reacted just the same if the name was leaked as being Voodoo, Brass, Krewe, Angels, or Spirit.

Ya'll are overreacting.
    I'd rather be called the New Orleans turds than the pelicans. Any of those names would have been better IMO. I hate Krewe. But would much rather that.

im dyyyyinnnggg to know what our players think of this name

Yahoo Sports report pelicans name is the name {merged}

Wow freakin awful I'd rather the new Orleans crawdaddys or the new Orleans transvestites
    Last edited by All Metro; 12-04-2012 at 07:03 PM.
    SIGN A SF

Quote Originally Posted by bojangles837 View Post
    why do we have to have a name that starts off with nation wide hate and eventually people catch on to, rather than start off with a baddass name that everyone celebrates...CP3X30 is right, no one outside of Louisiana/some of the gulf coast will buy pelican branded merchandise

We don't have to have a name like that, but apparently we do have one now. People buy merchandise for a few reasons: 1. Superstars 2. Color Schemes and logos 3. Winning teams 4. What city they play in. My point is that it's not as big of a deal as some people are making it out to be. I would have loved Voodoo, but Pelicans is not the end of the world. It's much better than Hornets

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! wuggie's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by CP3nDX30 View Post
    The twitter world just exploded with hatred for the name. I know people in New Orleans like the name but the NBA is too national let alone global to go with a name like that. You gotta sell merchandise, you have to sell ticket at away games when the Pelicans come to town. You can say other NBA names are weird but this one is on another level. Also name changes usually go to a vote... interesting how that doesn't look like the case here
    With the media those words seem to be best pals, so it's a perfect name. It's New Orleans.

R.I.P. to HunnyB/FlyGirl

I get what some of you are saying about the Thunder but lets be real. Thunder doesn't make since but at least it was somewhat catchy. Pelicans is just NOT a globally marketable name. I understand some people are fond of it because of the connection to the state and what not but IMHO....it just doesn't roll of the tongue easily enough for an NBA team. Most of these NBA names make no since but the are catchy.....I doubt Pelicans would be as well received in a year as Thunder was. I personally always liked the Thunder name.

I just feel like they're trying too hard to connect with the entire state with naming the team after the state bird. I really hope they are just testing the reaction. And this STILL needs NBA approval. IMO....the name seems like a name a 90yr man would pick for a 1950's minor league baseball team. This is 2012 man.....you're really telling me you couldn't come up with anything better than the state bird.

A Soulful Sports Fan Contributor Eman5805's Avatar
    I don't know. I'm looking at the tweets flying in and I'm seeing a LOT of positive Krewe nods. Most are really tempered that it's better than Pelicans and mention Brass too, but whatever.

Maybe two said Krewe was awful too. And a couple don't know what Krewe even is. I'm actually responding to those myself. Gotta drop knowledge, man.

Arc Angels!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I think Carnival would have been a great fit.

Pelicans78

Emeka Okafor - Joe Smith - Carmelo Anthony - Manu Ginobili - Jason Williams

Al Jefferson - James Posey - Aaron McKie - Shaun Livingston

I like Carnival as a better Mardi Gras name compared to Krewe. Better fit and can do more with a logo.

Brass is like a minor league version of Jazz.

Everyone will get over it in a year but its just getting to that point sucks lol

This board -- and the wider world -- would have reacted just the same if the name was leaked as being Voodoo, Brass, Krewe, Angels, or Spirit.

Ya'll are overreacting.
    I do think regardless there would have been a degree of "clowning" but I don't think the reactions would have been the same for any of the names you listed but Spirt. Most of the sports writers on twitter seem to feel Brass and Krewe would have been fine choices and Voodoo and Angels are both sports franchise that have existed in the 21st century.

I think I might completely 180 my decision...

What will they call the Honeybee's now?

Quote Originally Posted by Eman5805 View Post

I think I might completely 180 my decision...
    dude can we please assassinate jeff duncan

why do we have to have a name that starts off with nation wide hate and eventually people catch on to, rather than start off with a baddass name that everyone celebrates...CP3X30 is right, no one outside of Louisiana/some of the gulf coast will buy pelican branded merchandise

Heck I'M from Louisiana and I wont be buying Pelican branded merchandise....LOL. I'll watch the games and support but...I'm not rockin nothing with a Pelican on it.....can't do it. LOL. And lets be real....NBA cares about if the brand is going to sell globally not just in Louisiana....

Quote Originally Posted by RaisingTheBrow View Post
    I'd rather be called the New Orleans turds than the pelicans. Any of those names would have been better IMO. I hate Krewe. But would much rather that.
    Thank you for reinforcing my point.

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! wuggie's Avatar
    The Krewe name is corny, really corny and so is brass lol

Quote Originally Posted by HunnyB View Post
    the nestlings

Well, given that bees and wasps are only kinda similar, probably just call them the Sparrows or something.

Thank you for reinforcing my point.
    Some people just can't comprehend.

Band of Skulls & Neon Trees ramsters60's Avatar
    the silver lining I see is that our mascot's pecker would probably be the envy of the league....
    "we might make dollars, but we don't necessarily make sense"

"always be sincere....whether you mean it or not"

im dyyyyinnnggg to know what our players think of this name
    How can you seriously look these 19-26yr kids in the face and tell them their new name is the Pelicans....like seriously. Its 2012 man not 1950! LOL

I believe this to be true. We knew there were going to be some unhappy people no matter which name was chosen.
    Pelicans was the only name I really had disdain for. It's wreaks of baseball. I was also a Brass supporter and that name seems to most popular.

Now...why does this team hate me so much? I love basketball man!

Quote Originally Posted by wuggie View Post
    The Krewe name is corny, really corny and so is brass lol
    I agree. Didn't care for neither names. No creativity whatsoever.

Quote Originally Posted by Miss_318 View Post
    How can you seriously look these 19-26yr kids in the face and tell them their new name is the Pelicans....like seriously. Its 2012 man not 1950! LOL
    They told Durant he was going to be a Thunder...the Thunder...part of Thunder. Whatever.

That aspect worries me not. What worries me is Jeff Duncan likes the name...

Thread Information