Pelicans Report

Page 12 of 16 FirstFirst ... 2 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 LastLast

Thread: Rumor: "Pelicans" the current front runner for new name?

Rumor: "Pelicans" the current front runner for new name?

Rather a darker blue with gray.

Emeka Okafor - Joe Smith - Carmelo Anthony - Manu Ginobili - Jason Williams

Al Jefferson - James Posey - Aaron McKie - Shaun Livingston

Quote Originally Posted by Purple Haze View Post
    I heard from someone on here that it could be gray and light blue.
    Insert Seymour De Fair, 1984 New Orleans World's Fair mascot, here.
    I once had some of the worst grits and drippings in the Queen City

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Horn-et View Post
    Insert Seymour De Fair, 1984 New Orleans World's Fair mascot, here.
    done

Quote Originally Posted by Hornets78 View Post
    Rather a darker blue with gray.
    And with that darker blue would you rather a charcoal gray or an ash gray?

Quote Originally Posted by HunnyB View Post
    i am thinking an azure blue with some cobalt gray and a hint of cadmium yellow........... lol

Ash gray.

But a lighter blue with gray sounds like Pelicans. The blue could represent the sky or water and the gray could be the pelican.

Quote Originally Posted by WhoDatHornet View Post
    i am thinking an azure blue with some cobalt gray and a hint of cadmium yellow........... lol
    I just love your creativity WhoDatHornet!

Can't hate on the worlds fair pelican...don't care who ya are. That pelican is literally an O.G.

I mean come on... dude's rocking spats! that's gangsta.
    Last edited by WhoDatPelican; 10-19-2012 at 10:52 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by HunnyB View Post
    Confederate Gray. Subliminal marketing to the entire south with Civil War colors.

On a permanent Holiday! Purple Haze's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by BP225 View Post
    Confederate Gray. Subliminal marketing to the entire south with Civil War colors.
    Wherehappens.

I like it more then Cardinals or Tropics or some of the other ones I heard the last year.

done
    Don't like the name pelican but I'm fine with him as the mascot no matter what the name is. This is the only slam dunk in the rebranding.

Can't hate on the worlds fair pelican...don't care who ya are. That pelican is literally an O.G.

I mean come on... dude's rocking spats! that's gangsta.
    The spats sets off the logo... I'm diggin the "Pelicans" now LOL! I'm a convert... all because of the gangsta *** spats. NO other team can say their mascot rocks spats... NO ONE!

I heard from someone on here that it could be gray and light blue.
    For some reason, Benson is a fan of the light blue. He wanted to change the Saints colors to the UCLA blue and gold when he bought them, but eventually decided against it.

I still prefer New Orleans Knights as the team name

Are we done trying to think of names on our own? Is the brand definitely submitted? I know we want the name to be something local and culturally significant. But if we're having this much trouble finding a name then at this point it just feels like a reach. Not that I'll stop supporting the team but if they call them the Pelicans or the crew it will never feel natural and will always sound like a reach. Of course you have to consider that we are at a disadvantage when picking a name. The more syllables there are I think the riskier the name choice and we already have three in New Orleans to start with. So saying the New Orleans Pelicans to me really feels like a bit much and I'm not sure it will ever work. So how about finding a one or two syllable name that doesn't necessarily fit the city but fits basketball and competition in general. No one has ever said "ya know, the New Jersey Nets just doesn't sound right, and nets weren't even originated here." (Kansas or Indiana up for debate) No they don't, cuz it's a great name. And the one syllable 'Nets' also probably made the transition easier when you put Brooklyn in front of it.

As an example, and a rather generic one, what if we were called the New Orleans Centers? I know Austin made a joke in his interview but think about it. It sounds better than the others I've heard and would come at a time when a future potential AllStar center joins the team.

I challenge you guys to come up with names that:

a) aren't specific to the area

b) contain 1 or 2 syllables

c) sound good immediately and have the potential to really grow on you

** - still confused why we aren't already called the brass but assuming #legalalities, moving on, and trying to come up with new names

Chris Trew (Penuckle on here) is BRILLIANT

http://www.hornets247.com/2012/10/19...#comment-60742

Quote Originally Posted by MyLanta View Post
    Are we done trying to think of names on our own? Is the brand definitely submitted? I know we want the name to be something local and culturally significant. But if we're having this much trouble finding a name then at this point it just feels like a reach. Not that I'll stop supporting the team but if they call them the Pelicans or the crew it will never feel natural and will always sound like a reach. Of course you have to consider that we are at a disadvantage when picking a name. The more syllables there are I think the riskier the name choice and we already have three in New Orleans to start with. So saying the New Orleans Pelicans to me really feels like a bit much and I'm not sure it will ever work. So how about finding a one or two syllable name that doesn't necessarily fit the city but fits basketball and competition in general. No one has ever said "ya know, the New Jersey Nets just doesn't sound right, and nets weren't even originated here." (Kansas or Indiana up for debate) No they don't, cuz it's a great name. And the one syllable 'Nets' also probably made the transition easier when you put Brooklyn in front of it.

As an example, and a rather generic one, what if we were called the New Orleans Centers? I know Austin made a joke in his interview but think about it. It sounds better than the others I've heard and would come at a time when a future potential AllStar center joins the team.

I challenge you guys to come up with names that:

a) aren't specific to the area

b) contain 1 or 2 syllables

c) sound good immediately and have the potential to really grow on you

** - still confused why we aren't already called the brass but assuming #legalalities, moving on, and trying to come up with new names
    I mean, it has been mentioned as a local name, but I like NOLA bounce. Like nets, bounce is an intrinsic part of the game of basketball. It's a simple concept with a myriad of possibilities for logos, colors, and brand opportunities. It's always been up there since the thought of a rebrand was announced.

Pelican’t: For those Hornets fans who have a little pro wrestling in your blood, look at it this way. All of the best finishing moves also have a way to counter them, right? That’s all “Pelican’t” is. A decent counter to a great name. See also Miami Cheat. Los Angeles Fakers. Minnesota Tumblewolves. New Orleans Pelican’t. Besides, the kind of people who will throw “Pelican’t” in our faces are the same people who say things like “Who Dat? We Dat!” and those people should all be bundled up in one poorly maintained apartment complex and forced to watch Julian Wright highlights all day.
    Is it possible for me to love this name more now?

I'm seriously crying

Fan on the Pole: Imagine a tall pole on all four corners of the court. About as high as the shot clock. Before every game four fans win the opportunity to watch the game from the Pelican Position. Is it safe? Are the poles secure? Will it be a distraction to the players? Don’t know. Will it be fun to pretend you’re a pelican while watching the Pelicans. Uh, yeah.

Quote Originally Posted by MeSoHornets504 View Post
    I mean, it has been mentioned as a local name, but I like NOLA bounce. Like nets, bounce is an intrinsic part of the game of basketball. It's a simple concept with a myriad of possibilities for logos, colors, and brand opportunities. It's always been up there since the thought of a rebrand was announced.
    It also has to do with a HORRIBLE type of music and a ton of people would associate it with that (given then demographics of the city) more than a ball bouncing.

A Soulful Sports Fan Contributor Eman5805's Avatar
    Krewe also has a movie angle. I've seen a LOT of grips wearing rockin' Film Krewe shirts. Looked cash.

I don't care if the logo is generic. I'll take Krewe over Pelicans.

Chris Trew (Penuckle on here) is BRILLIANT

http://www.hornets247.com/2012/10/19...#comment-60742
    ah that was great!

Irrational Optimist Contributor neworleanshoo's Avatar
    Still confused why Brass isn't the slam-dunk choice. The only one that's nearly universally liked. Not a fan of Pelicans, but i'll be a fan of the team regardless.

REALLY don't think Pelicans will sell anywhere outside new orleans. You won't see many Pelicans jerseys being rocked on the streets of L.A. that's for sure. Brass or Voodoo would be another story. And when it comes to small market teams, branding is crucial. Just my opinion.

Thread Information