Pelicans Report

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Power Rankings

Power Rankings

With two months left and the playoff hopefuls fighting for positioning.Two things remain the same. Spurs dominance and Knicks opposite of that.

Biggest leap Cleveland up 14.
    Biggest drop Atlanta down 9

1 San Antonio Spurs 37-16 same
    I mean sure there have been a couple of weird losses along the way like a 28 point beatdown against the Pistons in San Antoino, but make no mistake, the Spurs are the best team in the league during the regular season, but can they count on Alan Houston for points during the playoffs?

2 Dallas Mavericks 37-19 up 1
    Don’t sleep on the champs. In addition to putting out the red hot Lakers twice this month, they’ve only lost two games since the allstar break. Even playing 10 games in a row at one point.

3 Cleveland Cavaliers 35-20 up 14
    The fact that Tim Duncan can only get better at 25 is a scary thought, the soon to be two time MVP could be taking another iffy supporting cast to the finals. Hopefully the Cavs can do something with the endless cap space they will have this offseason.

4 Los Angeles Lakers 34-21 up 5
    A very hot team already labeled as a contender. The defense is much improved from last year despite the same roster for the most part but if they need a third scorer in the playoffs, they’ll be in trouble.

5 Memphis Grizzlies 34-22 down 3
    Outside of the best frontcourt in the league and versatile rookie Joe Johnson th Grizzlies don’t really have a lot. Deadline deals are on the way.

6 Toronto Raptors 34-20 down 2
    Etan Thomas is the unsung hero for this team, the perimeter game really is what wins games for them, but Etan Thomas has doubled his minutes from last year, shoots a high percentage, and leads the team in blocks, giving the Raptors just enough defense to win games.

7 Chicago Bulls 31-24 up 6
    The consensus was Scoonie Penn would be the downfall for this team, but he’s actually played very well. It’s Mihm, who is having a sophomore slump after his all rookie campaign, who’s been the weak link on the Bulls.

8 Philadelphia 76ers 31-24 same
    The 76ers are a solid team all around, with the difference from last year’s squad being much improved offensive efficiency, but it’s probably not enough to be a championship contender.

9 Charlotte Hornets 28-22 down 2
    My apologies Hornets, Garnett actually has a lot of help. He’s surrounded by 4 efficient double digit scorers under the age of 27 in Jackson, Dickerson, Okur, and Barkley. All 5 starter will be under contract next season and the Hornets will have a little cap space and draft picks to add to that core.

10 Seattle Supersonics 28-25 up 1
    Penny or no Penny, Ratliff or no Ratliff, this is a team with contender upside. The PJ Brown move should keep the Sonics from being, what by the numbers is, an average defense.

11 Phoenix Sun 30-24 up 5
    Who is the scoring leader, Allen Iverson, Chris Webber, Tim Duncan? Na, it’s Antawn Jamison, the same Antawn Jamison who buried the Grizzlies into a lottery pick last season. He’s averaging 10 more points per game than last season with better shooting numbers, single handedly leading the Suns to a winning record.

12 Golden State Warriors 27-23 down 7
    The real problem with this team, other than the fact that Delk is not starting, is that McDyess has no business leading the team in assists.

13 Detroit Pistons 32-27 down 7
    When Sabonis gets healthy the pistons will be firing on all cylinders with Mason filling the Sf hole.

14 Boston Celtics 28-27 down 2
    There was a time when Webber was almost traded, but this team has since turned around and looking forward to scarring some team in the playoffs.

15 Washington Wizards 26-27 same
    Now fully healthy, the Wizards will make the playoffs and upset a team in the first round… the fans will chant… “MVP MVP MVP!”… and Corliss will acknowledge them.

16 Sacramento Kings 26-30 up 5
    Avent should start for the Kings. They need defense from their front court, not scoring. Ratliff would have helped in that category, but it still wouldn’t have done enough to make them contenders.

17 Indiana Pacers 28-27 down 3
    The difference between the hot Pacers earlier in the season and the Pacers now has been the play of their backcourt.

18 Minnesota Timberwolves 26-30 same
    The last two years of Shaq’s career have been wasted. There was a lot of hype around the Wolves in the offseason but they might be going fishing sooner rather than later. Hopefully the rookies make serious improvements for a better run next season.

19 Atlanta Hawks 28-30 down 9
    The lack of a center makes this team anonymous once again.

20 Denver Nuggets 27-31 same
    Hang on to that playoff spot!

21 Portland Trail Blazers 28-33 down 2
    Poor Blazers, their season came and went with the Finley trade (it was a good trade) and following injury.

22 Miami Heat 22-28 up 3
    The heat are a young star/go to scorer away from dominating for years.

23 Orlando Magic 25-31 down 1
    None of the Orlando players buy houses, they know they could be on the move at any moment.

24 Milwaukee Bucks 21-32 down 1
    Gilbert Arenas and the young guns are about as new and marketable as Milwaukee can be at this point. What goes on in that locker room has got to be weird with man children Lamar Odom and Arenas.

25 Los Angeles Clippers 21-32 up 1
    All 3 Pfs are still on the roster. Is it tanking that they aren’t all starting?

26 New Jersey Nets 20-32 up 2
    No team has a better under 24 duo than Jermaine Oneal and Baron Davis.

27 Houston Rockets 18-40 down 3
    Uhmm… They meant to tank? Both teams played hard? … with a no trade mentality the Rockets will need an impact rookie to compete again due to their older core.

28 Utah Jazz 17-37 down 1
    Well at least they’ll have a top 5 pick… oh… nevermind.

29 New York Knicks same
    Bottom of these power rankings the past 2 years but they’re top 10 in the hypothetical future rankings.

I apologize for jumping to conclusions, I do that often
    Last edited by BeeBall Reasons; 08-13-2012 at 06:51 PM.

It feels like you read my mind about my team, kinda eerie.
    Quote Originally Posted by Conroy View Post
    I feel like I'm wasting my time compared to Sound.
    Quote Originally Posted by NOLa. View Post
    I think Sound just upped the standards in the league.
    GM of the Year

CP3 has deceitful eyes ohnosono's Avatar
    really solid rankings. Can't say I disagree with any team's placement really.

You read my mind with doing this... Great job nonetheless
    HR SIM LEAGUE: MEMPHIS GRIZZLIES

Mod over at reddit.com/r/NOLAPelicans

Geaux Hornets! Contributor PrepP's Avatar
    Great Post ! I like your idea of updating it every now and then too. Pretty accurate assessments and humorous at the same time.

This might be too much work for me to do every league month by myself, I'm thinking I could get a couple of other people to help me do the commentary. I'll rank the teams, and assign each person a division to write commentary for, after I send them where the team will be ranked for that month.

Max Contract Contributor AD23forMVP's Avatar
    In the other league I'm in members do these in pairs.

That would work. Maybe one person for the Eastern Conference commentary?

I'm down to try it out.

Good job man, didn't think my team will rank that high

just find Brian Grant some positive habits and you're a top 5 team for sure.

Great job. Few comments:
    Think you shortchanged your team. The David Robinson deal was just the tweak you needed.
    I spit my beer out on the piece on the Magic
    Think Minn will be top 10 by the end of it.
    Think you properly displayed the Western conference being much tougher than the East.
    Overall great job again! Look forward to more of this.

"I don't know if people know — I dislocated my pinkie finger. And [Tyreke] told me, 'You wanna go home or you wanna be here?' I want to be here. And he said, 'All right, then go tape it up and let's play. Let's go. We not stoppin' at no stores. Straight gas. That's what we do, just keep going.'"

http://thebasketbawlblog.com/

Quote Originally Posted by BallSoHard View Post
    Great job. Few comments:
    Think you shortchanged your team. The David Robinson deal was just the tweak you needed.
    I spit my beer out on the piece on the Magic
    Think Minn will be top 10 by the end of it.
    Think you properly displayed the Western conference being much tougher than the East.
    Overall great job again! Look forward to more of this.

This. I think he ranked his team at 9 so people wouldn't claim bias, but maybe not. I'm pretty sure my team is gonna win a lot of games, if they don't, that's fine. Most of my new additions are on expiring contracts which was no accident.

It's cool to see people thinking long-term now. At first it seemed like everyone was worried about the current season. Now I'm seeing a bunch of trades with long-term implications. Brings a tear to my eye.

I didn't make a lot of moves that I had in place for the long term actually. Came very close though.

Quote Originally Posted by BeeBall Reasons View Post
    20 Atlanta Hawks
    Most anonymous team in the NBA, mediocrity at it’s finest
    Ouch. I'm going to try to trade my vets and stockpile picks and potential, though.

You don't follow my Twitter, I lead yours.

https://twitter.com/#!/onpointlikecp3

I even was cracking up on the part about me.
    HR Sim League Orlando Magic

PG: Luke Ridnour, Delonte West, Greg Minor

SG: Andre Iguodala, Mickael Pietrus

SF: Shareef Abdur-Rahim, Boris Diaw

PF: Charlie Villanueva, Ian Mahinimi, Amir Johnson

C: Eddy Curry, Mamadou Ndiaye, Adam Parada

Quote Originally Posted by onpointlikecp3 View Post
    Ouch. I'm going to try to trade my vets and stockpile picks and potential, though.
    Yea you should probably do something, Peja is a good young scorer, but you should change his supporting cast, for better or for worse. just outside the playoffs is a bad spot.

Quote Originally Posted by BallSoHard View Post
    I didn't make a lot of moves that I had in place for the long term actually. Came very close though.
    well you don't really need to lol. Your team is young and scary already.

I just need a scoring Center.

Quote Originally Posted by coltsguy510 View Post
    I just need a scoring Center.
    Why were you so hell bent on getting rid of your centers? You had two pretty solid bigs, I would of held onto at least one of them.

Tend to agree, and why didn't you amnesty Kemp instead of Anderson since it doesn't look like you're interested in playing him?

I need a C. Kemp is a solid backup and I won't be using Anderson very much. I acquired him in a trade.
    Last edited by coltsguy510; 07-21-2012 at 12:38 AM.

Pryz will be solid. He is a great defender. I just need that scoring center. I have a good scoring PF.

Draft Pick
    Ok I'm new to this so please don't make fun of me, but I keep seeing posts about this so, what is this? Is it an old time NBA 2k12 franchise mode or what?

2K on Dreamcast.

Thread Information