Pelicans Report

Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Thread: Mirotic deal done ✅

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! JunkHead's Avatar

Umm... Do you think...?

Quote Originally Posted by MistaWhoDat View Post
    Let this sink in for a minute ASIK IS GONE !!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I know right! Finally!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by bahmamamba View Post
    Must be a another deal in the works if we're giving Nelson too

Sent from my SM-S903VL using Tapatalk
    We can sign 2 minimum salary players, so I'm assuming Monroe and Liggins

Nah, Quincy is done. Guy can’t even get minutes on a bad Bulls team.

Has fallen off a cliff offensively.

This trade solidifies us in the top 6 of the west. If we land Monroe, top 4?
    If you Jimmer it, they will come.

So basically Asik, Nelson, Allen, and 2018 1st for Mirotic, Monroe, and a 2018 2nd! Great deal!!

Quote Originally Posted by UNO Gracias View Post
    Idk if this is you being sarcastic or serious lol you're usually pretty pessimistic so it's confusing lol

Sent from my SM-S903VL using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by UNO Gracias View Post
    Don't know about that -- trading those guys and losing Boogie >> just gaining Mirotic. Portland refuses to go away, and Denver is getting Milsap back.

But it's still the right move, and it really should, barring anymore of the disasters that seem to trail the Pels franchise, guarantee the playoffs. Off of early results post-Boogie, all of a sudden even with the Clippers blowing it up there seemed there might be a catastrophic chance of collapsing all the way out of things, having either the scrappy no name Clippers or a late surge by Utah knock off a Pels team sliding backward under .500. But withy this move unless something else goes very wrong I would hope that this prevents that scenario, guarantees the playoffs this year, and does it with a player who could be an excellent fit for the hope of something better next year.

And again, Dell Demps should have saved his job with his work the last two trade deadlines. He turned two middling picks and a bunch of spare parts into 2/3 of what could, please, hopefully, be the best frontcourt in basketball next year if Boogie can come back as a reasonable facsimile of himself.
    Last edited by Bricklayer; 02-01-2018 at 01:06 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by N.O.Bronco View Post
    Come on now, we got a 17-7(25-10 if he plays 36 minutes for us like he didn’t in Chicago) player that is the best stretch 4 in the business and compliments both Davis and a
    Cousins incredibly well as he can play the 4 and 5 and has thrived in Hoiberg’s ball movement system. All for a non-lottery pick.

And you get out from under Asik’s contract. So you go into next season turning Asik’s albatross into Mirotic’s incredibly valuable expiring.

Now someone correct me if I’m wrong, but after the draft, Demps has the capacity to sell the 2019 first rounder as well?
    Yea he can, and he will

Great he can just sell off all the first round picks until the end of time. Making moves from desperation is never good. I dont know why so many of you are so eager to be a 7th or 8th seed and blown out by the Warriors or Rockets. Asik would have been a much easier contract to move in the offseason. Minor deals were called for to dump Ajinca and add Monroe and other buyout candidates. Not this.

Asik, whoever we drafted in 2018 plus the 2019 first rounder could have had significant value in the offseason. Or you keep the pick, amd actually draft well and get a rent controlled 4 year player for cheap.

Quote Originally Posted by MistaWhoDat View Post
    Let this sink in for a minute ASIK IS GONE !!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I don't believe it! Yeah... Hell Yeah!!!
    Props for Demps. Good trade.

Quote Originally Posted by Pelifan View Post
    Yea he can, and he will

Great he can just sell off all the first round picks until the end of time. Making moves from desperation is never good. I dont know why so many of you are so eager to be a 7th or 8th seed and blown out by the Warriors or Rockets. Asik would have been a much easier contract to move in the offseason. Minor deals were called for to dump Ajinca and add Monroe and other buyout candidates. Not this.

Asik, whoever we drafted in 2018 plus the 2019 first rounder could have had significant value in the offseason. Or you keep the pick, amd actually draft well and get a rent controlled 4 year player for cheap.
    Mirotic is a good player. He's not desperation anything.

And the good GMing part is that Mirotic is also a good fit, both this season, AND next. And that was the trick there.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	11730041-large.jpg 
Views:	63 
Size:	45.9 KB 
ID:	6311
    Dealer Dell!

Do work Dell .. Do work
    Dell Demps PLEASE get us some scorers!

The clippers Won’t make the playoffs . They won’t even compete for a spot .

Quote Originally Posted by Bricklayer View Post
    Mirotic is a good player. He's not desperation anything.

And the good GMing part is that Mirotic is also a good fit, both this season, AND next. And that was the trick there.
    That's the reason I don't hate this. It's not just to save this season. That would be dumb. It goes into next season and hopefully beyond.
    Good positive energy.

But also, yo mama's fat.

Yea he can, and he will

Mirotic is an expiring, who is actually good, for the same price as Asik. Our first rounder is probably at its peak value right now.

Well my thinking was, turning Asik into Mirotic is the sort of asset shift that could be used in a hypothetical scenario where the Blazers feel they have tapped out their core’s potential, which there are rumblings of it trending that way, and the Pels, as an up and coming playoff team, would look mighty fine to a player like Lillard or McCollum.

Again, hypothetical done to illustrate how this helps the Pels going forward. But Blazers fall to the 8 seed, lose in the first round, look to shake up the roster and find more balance. Enter the Pels. You have Mirotic’s nice one year contract and you have future first rounders. On top of nice complimentary pieces like Moore. Do one or two first rounders and Mirotic get you Lillard or McCollum? Idk, but given the shift toward sellers vs buyers and the winning teams that are likely to already have a point guard, unless someone like SA was willing to give up Leonard(if things are truly beyond repair), hard to not see the Pelicans fairly well situated to make that sort of play.

Then you are talking about a core that when healthy should be a top 4 seed most years.

Pelicans won this trade for the short and long term. Great job Dell.

Quote Originally Posted by DaFranchise80 View Post
    As someone that has hated most every Demps major move, especially all the first rounder involved trades, I agree.

Quote Originally Posted by DaFranchise80 View Post
    I don't think it's a win or lose situation for Chicago. Mirotic wanted out, Chicago got a 1st for him and Asik becomes a contract that in the summer of 2019 can be moved easily and is probably a valuable filler piece.

They had plenty of cap space and are actually still below the cap floor anyway. Both sides got what they wanted out of this trade. I wouldn't be shocked if we move Ajinca with the 2nd round pick.

As someone that has hated most every Demps major move, especially all the first rounder involved trades, I agree.
    I split that crow pie with you buddy! Lol

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! kinglio21093's Avatar
    Love it. Gonna need a new guard. I actually liked having Jameer. But I guess we’re gonna rely on Clark and maybe the 2 way guys.

This is why you don't prematurely jump to conclusions.

Our writers know what they are talking about.
    Last edited by PelsFan2313; 02-01-2018 at 01:26 PM.

"I'm not going to allow my putative owner to answer that question, this is an NBA related press conference. Paul Tagliabue and Roger Goodell have collectively sung their praises of Tom and if uh ESPN has a problem with that tell Mr. Skipper to call me at my office."

Mirotic is an expiring, who is actually good, for the same price as Asik. Our first rounder is probably at its peak value right now.

Well my thinking was, turning Asik into Mirotic is the sort of asset shift that could be used in a hypothetical scenario where the Blazers feel they have tapped out their core’s potential, which there are rumblings of it trending that way, and the Pels, as an up and coming playoff team, would look mighty fine to a player like Lillard or McCollum.

Again, hypothetical done to illustrate how this helps the Pels going forward. But Blazers fall to the 8 seed, lose in the first round, look to shake up the roster and find more balance. Enter the Pels. You have Mirotic’s nice one year contract and you have future first rounders. On top of nice complimentary pieces like Moore. Do one or two first rounders and Mirotic get you Lillard or McCollum? Idk, but given the shift toward sellers vs buyers and the winning teams that are likely to already have a point guard, unless someone like SA was willing to give up Leonard(if things are truly beyond repair), hard to not see the Pelicans fairly well situated to make that sort of play.

Then you are talking about a core that when healthy should be a top 4 seed most years.
    By the offseason Asik and whoever is drafted with that pick will have more value than an expiring Mirotic. A big part of Mirotics value comes from what he does over the next 30 or so games

Additionally it's going to be really difficult to keep Mirotic next season and beyond with all of our contracts unless Boogie takes a paycut. It's a typical short-term short sighted Dell move. Which I wouldn't have mined if Dell could have maximized his value. Dell is always negotiating from a point of weakness and that's why we've made so many trades like this and why the Holiday and Asik deals are so large in the first place. Dell spends every year thinking how can I keep my job for just one more year and it works for him every year, not so much for the Pelicans who have Davis and so far no playoff wins to show for it.

Quote Originally Posted by kinglio21093 View Post
    Love it. Gonna need a new guard. I actually liked having Jameer. But I guess we’re gonna rely on Clark and maybe the 2 way guys.
    I mean Chicago is waiving both Allen and Nelson. If Monroe goes to the Celtics instead or something, decent chance one of those guys are back on the roster....or just never leave their house before emailing over their new signed contracts.

By the offseason Asik and whoever is drafted with that pick will have more value than an expiring Mirotic. A big part of Mirotics value comes from what he does over the next 30 or so games

Additionally it's going to be really difficult to keep Mirotic next season and beyond with all of our contracts unless Boogie takes a paycut. It's a typical short-term short sighted Dell move. Which I wouldn't have mined if Dell could have maximized his value. Dell is always negotiating from a point of weakness and that's why we've made so many trades like this and why the Holiday and Asik deals are so large in the first place. Dell spends every year thinking how can I keep my job for just one more year and it works for him every year, not so much for the Pelicans who have Davis and so far no playoff wins to show for it.
    You can have all the first rounders when Davis leaves.
    Why keep them now?
    You need to show Davis we are serious about contending.
    You can't do this with 18 to 20 year old kids.

Thread Information