Pelicans Report

Page 13 of 15 FirstFirst ... 3 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 LastLast

Thread: Gameday Thread: Raptors @ Hornets

Got it to OT... and then gave up.

Quote Originally Posted by BuzzmanD View Post
    At what point do we start questioning the coaching on this team? You think at this point in the season guys would have a grasp of executing plays and rotating on defense and yet our offense looks like The Keystone Cops running around in confusion. Our offense consist of high pick and rolls and running screens at the top of the key, and if that does not open up a shooter then we attempt a dribble drive that results in more turnovers than points. The defense Monty is still preaching is to double up on the ball handler which leaves a 3pt shooter open every time and in the NBA a open shooter is going to make it more times than they miss. Many of us expect to see a new team when Gordon comes back but with the way we play on both ends of the court I can't see us winning many more games even with his return. As the losses continue to mount I wonder how long it will be before guys start checking out on Monty.
    Get ready to get flamed. According to many on this board Monty can do no wrong.
    Dell Demps PLEASE get us some scorers!

Re: Gameday Thread: Raptors @ Hornets

Quote Originally Posted by Alg_Hornet View Post
    If you want to think that way, fine.

Sent from my DROID3 using Tapatalk 2

A Soulful Sports Fan Contributor Eman5805's Avatar
    A lot of our defense involves overcompensating for crappy on ball D on the perimeter.

Quote Originally Posted by Eman5805 View Post
    A lot of our defense involves overcompensating for crappy on ball D on the perimeter.
    They trap and overhelp on every PnR they encounter. It's automatic.

Max Contract Contributor AD23forMVP's Avatar
    At what point do we start questioning the coaching on this team? You think at this point in the season guys would have a grasp of executing plays and rotating on defense and yet our offense looks like The Keystone Cops running around in confusion. Our offense consist of high pick and rolls and running screens at the top of the key, and if that does not open up a shooter then we attempt a dribble drive that results in more turnovers than points. The defense Monty is still preaching is to double up on the ball handler which leaves a 3pt shooter open every time and in the NBA a open shooter is going to make it more times than they miss. Many of us expect to see a new team when Gordon comes back but with the way we play on both ends of the court I can't see us winning many more games even with his return. As the losses continue to mount I wonder how long it will be before guys start checking out on Monty.
    Lets not act like Monty has options. The majority of the guys who play are incompetent.

Monty puts guys in good position, but they just aren't gifted enough to get their side of the deal done.

When did Lopez get 28 mins?

Quote Originally Posted by Alg_Hornet View Post
    I think that is telling of how many people on here lack knowledge of this game. I love Monty as a person and want to see him succeed but we have to take the homer glasses off at some point and see there is more problems on the court than just personnel.

I thought we did pretty good job on covering opponent 3's. It's just the offensive execution that is poor, and a clearly expect a boost in that end of the floor when Gordon will be back. We really took some bad shots tonight, but it's also Toronto D that made us took those bad shots...
    "I go so hard, I go so mean... I'm so NEW ORLEANS" - Lil' Wayne
    "We not stopping at no stores man ! We staying on the gas !" - Tyreke Evans

Formerly "Rocket Man" groundpatty's Avatar
    All three overtime games this season, Hornets can't get a bucket till they're down multiple possessions.

The decisions on offense in OT tonight were so frustrating. Vasquez driving on Lowry? Davis taking a fadeaway baseline jumper?

I think that is telling of how many people on here lack knowledge of this game. I love Monty as a person and want to see him succeed but we have to take the homer glasses off at some point and see there is more problems on the court than just personnel.
    On the offensive end, I think this staff trusts Gordon so much that they wont change the offensive philosophy, which will rely on him heavily. Look at the end of games. You've got GV each and every time trying to be Gordon by himself. The only time it worked is when the defender fell down.

The rest of the times it hasn't worked but they are not changing. Same story for the overall offense.

Gameday Thread: Raptors @ Hornets

Earlier in the year when we were giving up 3 pointers like it was candy, everyone was mad that the bigs weren't hedging hard enough and the help defense was always late.

Now we're over helping and hedging to hard on defense. The problem is personnel and it's not a problem you can fix via the scheme. We have two huge defensive holes and guard and small forward. Until the positions are filled with competent players, expect the poor defense.

Quote Originally Posted by Nola Hornet View Post
    Earlier in the year when we were giving up 3 pointers like it was candy, everyone was mad that the bigs weren't hedging hard enough and the help defense was always late.

Now we're over helping and hedging to hard on defense. The problem is personnel and it's not a problem you can fix via the scheme. We have two huge defensive holes and guard and small forward. Until the positions are filled with competent players, expect the poor defense.
    Well said, and serves as a good response to Buzz.

I don't see any other solution but to hope that Gordon's defense is to form. I've said outlandish things like "On equal footing with Iggy." I was reaching, but I'd LOVE to be proven right. Just one guy that can stick with his man would make a WORLD of difference.

Hopefully that guy is back tomorrow. I won't accept a loss to CHA !!!

Quote Originally Posted by Nola Hornet View Post

This defense hasnt changed. The reason they gave up 3s like candy was because of the overhelp and hard hedging. Toronto had those same open 3s this game. They shot 24 of them but they just aren't a good deep shooting team. They were 25th in the league in 3 pt %.

The only difference I see is they are trapping more with a big, which leaves the paint open.

Quote Originally Posted by Russy View Post
    Hopefully that guy is back tomorrow. I won't accept a loss to CHA !!!
    It's when you say that, our chances to lose skyrocket. People said you can't lose to the Wizards. What happened?

Just go out and hope for the best.

Max Contract Contributor AD23forMVP's Avatar
    AD is averaging 16 points, 10 rebounds, and 2 blocks since coming back as a starter.

I wrote this about you Mr. West's Avatar
    At what point do we start questioning the coaching on this team?
    New game: Take a shot whenever you see sentence this on a forum

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! Bee-Fense's Avatar
    Just curious, what do you guys that criticize Monty would say the team's record would be under Gregg Popovich? How much of a difference are we talking?

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. West View Post
    New game: Take a shot whenever you see sentence this on a forum
    Only a matter of time before the Fire Monty movement is underway.

It's when you say that, our chances to lose skyrocket. People said you can't lose to the Wizards. What happened?

Just go out and hope for the best.
    Loool I know but I'm in France. I'm too far from the CHA arena ! It won't affect the game ^^

Some coaches adjust to the type of players they have. Pops is a master at that. Monty obviously has not gotten to that level, so this team is dependent on Eric Gordon type players.

Easy to forget how young Monty is. He's still learning same as everyone else. It's no excuse. But it suggests that he'll learn.

Unfortunately, you won't see how much better he'll be as a coach until he's on the next team...unless he pulls some Jerry Sloan, 20+ years with the same team business.

Re: Gameday Thread: Raptors @ Hornets

^ The Knicks still have players older than our team's coach.

Sent from my DROID3 using Tapatalk 2

At this point I'd like to know the attitude Eric Gordon has toward the team that needs him so much. Is it:

a.) "Man this team sucks." "It's going to be a drag having to do so much every night with these scrubs....sigh".

or

b.) "I can't wait until I get out there and close these close games and score." "We could be decent if I play right..."

I really hate this team seems to rely so much on EGO. No telling where his head is at.

Thread Information