Pelicans Report

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Austin Rivers with a PER below 7

What did you expect to see?? Again, we're talking about an entire season of having a PER less than 7. WE'RE ONLY 1/3 INTO THE SEASON.

I was not a fan of the Rivers pick and even I think it's too early to say anything.

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! wuggie's Avatar
    Damn all this because he was "cocky" or whatever and has the last name Rivers lol. People want to see him fail. It's not even that serious.

R.I.P. to HunnyB/FlyGirl

Quote Originally Posted by UptownFuz504 View Post
    I've noticed that ths board picks and chooses when to use the eye test vs. stats. When is It I ok to use the eye test and when is it ok to use stats? I'm being serious when I ask this. When we compare Rivers to other rookies, I see people pulling stats out of the wazoo to prove that Rivers isn't as bad as he looks. But in this thread, it's don't worry about his stats just use the eye test. I don't get it. My take is that Rivers fails both in my opinion.
    I'm a Rivers backer, but this is a very objective and good point.

The other point that Mikey Mac brings up is that nobody selected after Rivers is any better, and young Austin has the best looking upside of any of those pups.
    "The only thing Ryno stretches is the 0's on the stat sheet." - BallSoHard

Quote Originally Posted by UptownFuz504 View Post
    I read all the optimism but I'd still like to know would anybody here trade for Rivers if he wasn't a Hornet? In other words if you were trying to make this team better, would Rivers be a piece that you'd want to add?
    We had to take somebody with that pick. Who should we have taken instead of AR?

Even if Austin completely busts out it's really no worse than when Hilton Armstrong or Ced Simmons busted out. What were they - picks #12 and #15?

Quote Originally Posted by WisconsinHornet View Post
    We had to take somebody with that pick. Who should we have taken instead of AR?

Even if Austin completely busts out it's really no worse than when Hilton Armstrong or Ced Simmons busted out. What were they - picks #12 and #15?
    Anybody actually. Anybody would have been a better pick than AR. There are a lot of guys picked after him biding their time on benches right now. I'll throw one out there. Terrence Jones. I'd take him in heart beat over AR. A second would be Jeremy lamb. Another would be Sullinger. Have you seen how much weight that guy has lost? He is starting to look really productive in Boston. NO couldn't have done worse if they had just "passed" on their pick. Lets be honest about that. I could see AR was a complete dud after pre-season and you guys gave me a terrible time.

Quote Originally Posted by WisconsinHornet View Post
    I'm a Rivers backer, but this is a very objective and good point.

The other point that Mikey Mac brings up is that nobody selected after Rivers is any better, and young Austin has the best looking upside of any of those pups.
    everyone talks about the fact that rivers shows flashes...what guy in the nba does not show flashes?? aminu has shown flashes, henry has shown flashes...for crying out loud hilton armstrong once showed flashes...remember tyson was out one game his rookie yr, and he won the game for us in detroit with like 18 and 11 or something like that and hit the game winning free throw..juju showed flashes...even dajuan summers showed flashes according to some of you guys

Quote Originally Posted by sfernald View Post
    Anybody actually. Anybody would have been a better pick than AR. There are a lot of guys picked after him biding their time on benches right now. I'll throw one out there. Terrence Jones. I'd take him in heart beat over AR. A second would be Jeremy lamb. Another would be Sullinger. Have you seen how much weight that guy has lost? He is starting to look really productive in Boston. NO couldn't have done worse if they had just "passed" on their pick. Lets be honest about that. I could see AR was a complete dud after pre-season and you guys gave me a terrible time.

If we're "being honest" then let's really be honest. We won't know if this is a bad pick for another 2-3 years so let's not jump to conclusions. does it looks bad now? Sure. Will it in 3 years? No idea.

"I don't know if people know — I dislocated my pinkie finger. And [Tyreke] told me, 'You wanna go home or you wanna be here?' I want to be here. And he said, 'All right, then go tape it up and let's play. Let's go. We not stoppin' at no stores. Straight gas. That's what we do, just keep going.'"

http://thebasketbawlblog.com/

Quote Originally Posted by BallSoHard View Post
    If we're "being honest" then let's really be honest. We won't know if this is a bad pick for another 2-3 years so let's not jump to conclusions. does it looks bad now? Sure. Will it in 3 years? No idea.
    There's no way he'll get these minutes for three years if he keeps playing the way he is. He's been given enough time at this point. He would be sitting on the bench of 90% of NBA teams, never seeing the light of day. Guys that play at this level have very short careers and quickly spend all their time on the bench.

The Voice of Reason Contributor RaisingTheBar's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by BallSoHard View Post
    Exactly. Some of you guys are passing judgements about someone's entire career off of his first 27 games as a professional. Let's just wait and see what his PER is at the end of the season and also how he develops during his first NBA offseason.

Quote Originally Posted by RaisingTheBrow View Post
    Exactly. Some of you guys are passing judgements about someone's entire career off of his first 27 games as a professional. Let's just wait and see what his PER is at the end of the season and also how he develops during his first NBA offseason.
    Lol. Did you guys see the front page of espn this morning where they make the argument that he is the worst player ever?

http://insider.espn.go.com/nba/story...st-season-ever

Everyone you just named was still in college as a sophomore. Instead Rivers is in the NBA playing starter minutes while everyone you mentioned is on the bench.

I think Rivers should grab more rebound to have his per higher.

Quote Originally Posted by GuardianAngel25 View Post
    Everyone you just named was still in college as a sophomore. Instead Rivers is in the NBA playing starter minutes while everyone you mentioned is on the bench.
    I don't really see any reason to bank on him developing further. He is about on par with Kobe Karl at this point. How many extra years of college would it have taken to make Kobe Karl an NBA quality player?

Sometimes you either got it or you don't. Kyrie did and I knew he was going to be a star coming out of Duke even after just 13 games. With AR I couldn't bear to watch him play 13 games on Duke because he was so awful.

Lol. Did you guys see the front page of espn this morning where they make the argument that he is the worst player ever?

http://insider.espn.go.com/nba/story...st-season-ever
    Lol. I did and if you or that writer honestly believes that then you are the 2 dumbest people in the world.

I don't really see any reason to bank on him developing further.
    This makes absolutely no sense to me. I'd love for you to give reasons why.

The dude just can't finish at the rim... it's horrible.

You're in the league now.. you can't just run into the lane and throw the ball up thinking you're gonna get those calls as a Rookie. He's got to learn to absorb contact and finish or else strop trying to draw contact. He looks for it and he doesn't convert layups AT ALL.

There's no way he'll get these minutes for three years if he keeps playing the way he is. He's been given enough time at this point. He would be sitting on the bench of 90% of NBA teams, never seeing the light of day. Guys that play at this level have very short careers and quickly spend all their time on the bench.
    He's been given enough time ? You're kidding right? The dude is 30 something games into a position switch and being drafted in the MBA and "he's been given enough time"

I'm sure we invested the 10th pick to give up on him this early. This talk is silly at this point in time. If in year 3 he's still a mess, his option won't be accepted and he will be gone.
    Last edited by BallSoHard; 12-26-2012 at 02:56 PM.

Lol. I did and if you or that writer honestly believes that then you are the 2 dumbest people in the world.
    I actually don't believe that he has been that bad, but that is a little rude to say.

My point is there are tons and tons of people that think he is a waste of a draft pick. In fact the people that think he will even become a good player is a small minority at this point.
    Last edited by sfernald; 12-26-2012 at 03:06 PM.

A Soulful Sports Fan Contributor Eman5805's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by CP4MVP View Post
    everyone talks about the fact that rivers shows flashes...what guy in the nba does not show flashes?? aminu has shown flashes, henry has shown flashes...for crying out loud hilton armstrong once showed flashes...remember tyson was out one game his rookie yr, and he won the game for us in detroit with like 18 and 11 or something like that and hit the game winning free throw..juju showed flashes...even dajuan summers showed flashes according to some of you guys
    God, this is gonna sound harsh, but...and?

Flashes aren't enough, sure. But that kinda works for the long haul. However, this early in the game? Before he even hits the midway point? If you aren't producing the moment you step on the court, you're fate is sealed?

Because he's playing the exact same way he was playing in high school and college and he's not improving. In order to be one of these guys who gets better and better in the NBA you have to have a certain dominant skill that will carry you during the process. I think people thought AR's such skill was going to be his driving ability, but I feel that it is way overrated. He is not as good a driver as Bayless was a rookie and Bayless ended up a mediocre player at best.

Quote Originally Posted by TBlaze View Post

You're in the league now.. you can't just run into the lane and throw the ball up thinking you're gonna get those calls as a Rookie. He's got to learn to absorb contact and finish or else strop trying to draw contact. He looks for it and he doesn't convert layups AT ALL.
    I agree completely.

A Soulful Sports Fan Contributor Eman5805's Avatar
    Well, for one, he's not playing the same way in high school or college. He's deliberately avoiding taking too many shots from deep even though he could and isn't quiet as aggressive. Also he brought the ball up more then. He hardly does that now. So not improving? He's not playing the same roles on the court as he was then.

And he is getting to the basket pretty consistently. It's not like people are stymieing him. He just hasn't been converting at the rim. He's shown the quickness, the handles, that was listed as his strengths. As well as the deep range...whenever he actually takes the shots.

I actually don't believe that he has been that bad, but that is a little rude to say.

My point is there are tons and tons of people that think he is a waste of a draft pick. In fact the people that think he will even become a good player is a small minority at this point.
    No what is rude is saying someone is the worst player ever. So pretty much you are just believing what everyone else thinks? Nice. And if these "people" are really basing 27 games on the rest of someone's career then I really don't care what they think.

No what is rude is saying someone is the worst player ever. So pretty much you are just believing what everyone else thinks? Nice. And if these "people" are really basing 27 games on the rest of someone's career then I really don't care what they think.
    It's not like the guy just "says" it. He supports it with overwhelming statistics that show he is playing at a "historically" bad rate. Did you catch the whole "historic" thing?

Quote Originally Posted by TBlaze View Post

Absorbing contact has nothing to do with learning how. Its more he just hot a growth spurt because he just got done being a teenager. He will be much better at absorbing contact once he gets stronger and bigger. He should have stayed in college but leaving will only benefit him in the long run. I don't know how people think he at improve? Must be the same people that think Chad Ford is the best GM in basketball.

Thread Information