Pelicans Report

Thread: Saw a link to an ESPN podcast with Marc Spears...

Starter

Saw a link to an ESPN podcast with Marc Spears...

He mentioned something of a possible ownership change. Has anyone heard this?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Maybe the players will pool their money and buy the club?

Funny you mentioned that. At Christmas my aunt told me they’re leaving New Orleans. She doesn’t even watch basketball. Lol. I was like wtf. She said it’s cause of tickets sales. I said yeah okay whatever makes you feel better.

Almost no one had anything good to say when they saw me wearing my Pelicans Christmas sweater. “You LIKE them THAT much?” I went on to explain how everyone would change their tune once the team started winning. I would be extremely surprised to see Benson sell the team.
    RIP FlyGirl

Could he have possibly been referencing the succession plan where ownership changes to Mrs. Benson? Sure the franchise value has increased dramatically since Benson bought the team, but that's no reason to sell it. One of the supposed reasons they bought it was synergy with other properties Benson owns around the Dome/Arena. It also gives him more leverage with the state and local government when they do the once every 5 year tax payer shake down.

Starter
    I hope this link works: https://usat.ly/2BS5icU

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! kinglio21093's Avatar
    This is weird. Why the hell would Benson sell?

Quote Originally Posted by kinglio21093 View Post
    This is weird. Why the hell would Benson sell?
    Just like any other business. You buy low and sell high. I'd hate to see them go but I understand he's a business man. We're gonna have to go into lux tax to keep Bookie, and I don't think he wants to see any part of that.

I'm not shocked at any news of a team being sold. I just hope they stay in N.O.

Quote Originally Posted by HorneyTexan View Post
    I hope this link works: https://usat.ly/2BS5icU

If this is the podcast he’s talking about, I listened to the Pelicans part and there was no mention of anything close to Benson or selling the team. OP provide a link or it didn’t happen

Starter

Saw a link to an ESPN podcast with Marc Spears...

Quote Originally Posted by Rheem654 View Post
    If this is the podcast he’s talking about, I listened to the Pelicans part and there was no mention of anything close to Benson or selling the team. OP provide a link or it didn’t happen
    What are you talking about? He clearly mentions it when talking about Davis and Cousins as possible trade options. I just listened to it again and he mentions “change in ownership” and then even says “sell the franchise”. This is around the 2:45 mark.

Last edited by HorneyTexan; 12-27-2017 at 03:04 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by DroopyDawg View Post
    Just like any other business. You buy low and sell high. I'd hate to see them go but I understand he's a business man. We're gonna have to go into lux tax to keep Bookie, and I don't think he wants to see any part of that.

I'm not shocked at any news of a team being sold. I just hope they stay in N.O.
    He bought the team at Gayle's request. Unless her feelings have changed or there was some agreement to sell as part of the succession agreement, I do not see a sale.

Quote Originally Posted by PELICANSFAN View Post
    He bought the team at Gayle's request. Unless her feelings have changed or there was some agreement to sell as part of the succession agreement, I do not see a sale.
    This was my understanding too. The Pelicans are Gayle's baby just like the Saints are Benson's. Unless she has somehow soured on them I don't see the reason to sale. The Pels were never tied to any of the inheritance issues so I'm sure when he passes it will all just go to her.

Listening to the podcast it also just sounds like Marc is basing it on "rumors". The same type of Rumors like AD being traded to the Celtics, then it was Cousins, then back to AD. Until something leaks, I'm just chalking it up to national sports writers being national sports writers.
    Last edited by Mythrol; 12-27-2017 at 03:55 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Mythrol View Post
    The Pels were never tied to any of the inheritance issues so I'm sure when he passes it will all just go to her.
    The only thing from an inheritance standpoint that I can see is if there was a agreement to sell the Pelicans to effectively "buy out" the survivors' stake in the Saints. However, that is just speculative.

Quote Originally Posted by PELICANSFAN View Post
    The only thing from an inheritance standpoint that I can see is if there was a agreement to sell the Pelicans to effectively "buy out" the survivors' stake in the Saints. However, that is just speculative.
    Maybe. I would assume if something like that was in the agreement it would have made it out by now. If I remember correctly the issue was Benson tried to switch out the Saints (non controlling) stocks with assets like his dealerships but the family disagreed with the value assessment. Maybe the Pelicans were part of what was added to get the value correct but I would guess Gayle would have had a huge problem with that especially after just buying the team.

Quote Originally Posted by HorneyTexan View Post
    What are you talking about? He clearly mentions it when talking about Davis and Cousins as possible trade options. I just listened to it again and he mentions “change in ownership” and then even says “sell the franchise”. This is around the 2:45 mark.

Yea you're right, my bad. Heard it on second listen. I agree with others here that it's just passing 'rumors' that fall in line with the franchise is moving/being sold.

Thread Information