Pelicans Report

Thread: The Heat Have Expressed Interest in Rashard Lewis

The Heat Have Expressed Interest in Rashard Lewis

http://tracking.si.com/2012/07/03/ra...f=twitter_feed

Thoughts? We waived Lewis, so how does this affect our salary cap?

Actually, once he clears waivers, he's just a free agent, I believe. No implications to our cap.

i thought rashard lewis had sex with lebrons girlfriend last year? wasnt that the rumor going on?

Iirc, we are off the hook for whatever he signs for. Not sure if this is right but I sure do hope it is.

Quote Originally Posted by Soundwave View Post
    Iirc, we are off the hook for whatever he signs for. Not sure if this is right but I sure do hope it is.
    Nah it has no cap implications; I think your confused with amnestying.

"I'm not going to allow my putative owner to answer that question, this is an NBA related press conference. Paul Tagliabue and Roger Goodell have collectively sung their praises of Tom and if uh ESPN has a problem with that tell Mr. Skipper to call me at my office."

I wrote this about you Mr. West's Avatar
    Rashard should hook us up for that sign and trade to get us a second or something, in exchange for us paying him 9 million (FREAKING MILLION) dollars to never step foot in our city.
    @DanielVeuleman

Quote Originally Posted by BLT23 View Post
    i thought rashard lewis had sex with lebrons girlfriend last year? wasnt that the rumor going on?
    yeah......i remember that....it would be worse if the heat were trying to sign Delonte West tho....

It affects the cap. Amnesty is just a small modification of the waiver process.

If another team signs a player who has cleared waivers, the player's original team is allowed to reduce the amount of money it still owes the player (and lower their team salary) by a commensurate amount. This is called the right of set-off. This is true if the player signs with any professional team -- it does not have to be an NBA team. The amount the original team gets to set off is limited to one-half the difference between the player's new salary and the minimum salary for a one-year veteran (if the player is a rookie, then the rookie minimum is used instead).

For example, suppose a fifth-year player is waived with one guaranteed season remaining on his contract for $5 million. If this player signs a $1 million contract with another team for the 2011-12 season, his original team gets to set off $1 million minus $762,195 (the minimum salary for a one-year veteran in 2011-12), divided by two, or $118,902. The team is still responsible for paying $4,881,098 of the original $5 million. Note that between his prior team and new team the player will earn a combined $5,881,098, which was more than he earned prior to being waived.

Teams and players may negotiate a waiver of the team's set-off rights. Typically this is done when a contract is altered as part of a buyout (see question number 65), but not at other times.

http://www.cbafaq.com/salarycap.htm#Q64

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. West View Post
    Rashard should hook us up for that sign and trade to get us a second or something, in exchange for us paying him 9 million (FREAKING MILLION) dollars to never step foot in our city.
    closer to $14m

Quote Originally Posted by 42 View Post
    closer to $14m
    Even better.

Even better.
    Well, we can't do the sign-and-trade, since we waived him. Miami can only given him like $3m, but that will help.

Other teams could give him the whole MLE, though I really doubt he'd get that, except maybe on a 1y deal.

Stupid NBA with its rules...

Stupid NBA with its rules...
    Agreed.

Thread Information