Pelicans Report

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Alvin Gentry does he remain Head Coach

Banned

Alvin Gentry does he remain Head Coach

We have seen 171 games so far with Alvin Gentry as Head Coach.
    Its been excuse after excuse why he claims for the poor performance and lack of wins.
    So with this season the bend or break is apparent.
    DC is going to leave when the wheels start to fall off.
    The season as I mentioned before is 4 quarters of 20 game blocks.
    We need to be 10-10 at bare minimum at the 20 game marks to win 40-42 games.
    As a franchise a couple things are going to happen. If we are behind with a losing record do we start shopping DC to get back our huge investment for his short amount of services?
    Do we replace Alvin Gentry quick or wait till seasons end?
    October 3 wins
    November we need 7 wins
    Is that possible yes but will it happen? AD and DC are already showing signs of running out of gas being pushed to play hard.
    I guess the next 4 weeks will be the tell tale of the future.

Need to wait and see how the early part of the season progresses rather than fall back to the same comments after every loss.

Banned
    PelicansFan how many games you suggest before making the stated moves? Or any moves?
    40 games? This team doesn't have a history of playing above .500 ball.

It's too early for this Buckwheat. It's also to early to look and see we are 1 game out if the 5th seed. Yes, if we had won last night we would be tied for the 5th seed.

But it's too early for this. Get back to me at the Allstar break.

Also, we are only 2 games out of the 1st seed. There are no dominant teams this year. Yet... why not us?

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! pelicanchamp's Avatar
    We gonna be awesome. Rondo will change everything.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by P_B_&_G View Post
    It's too early for this Buckwheat. It's also to early to look and see we are 1 game out if the 5th seed. Yes, if we had won last night we would be tied for the 5th seed.

But it's too early for this. Get back to me at the Allstar break.
    This. And if you can't wait till all-star break, at least give it until December before you start flipping out.
    Basketball.

Quote Originally Posted by Buckwheat View Post
    PelicansFan how many games you suggest before making the stated moves? Or any moves?
    40 games? This team doesn't have a history of playing above .500 ball.
    I don't think 7 games is enough (and I am not a fan of Gentry). There is no need to keep repeating the negative comments over and over again.

Smiley Beating a Dead Horse from AnimateIt.net

Yeah but that Weber comment. Quite possibly the dumbest **** I've ever heard any coach say if true.

Banned
    PelicansFan go re read my first post.
    How is that negative? Asking about what should happen after 20 games? 40 games? Again this franchise doesn't have a history above .500 ball so again how is that negative? Playing to catch up games has never happen under this coach. Is it a fact that this coach has had 171 games under his belt and has failed at getting this team to 40 wins? I never said fire him after 7 games again go re read my post.

The thing that struck me is how willing Gentry seemed to admit after last game that the defense sucks. He didn't mince any words, and we had a top ten defense last season. Obviously Hill played a part in that, but I don't think he alone is the difference between top ten and scraping top 20.

So if he recognises this terrible defense, why isn't he doing anything about it? Either he needs to make some defensive changes (which he hasn't done thus far), or he needs to concede defense to Erman and let someone else do it properly.

Banned
    Its a whole lot of things that is causing the defense to have issues.
    When you have DC shooting 3s and not getting back on defense that is a problem.
    When you have a Point Guard that cant break down the defense to open up other passing lanes then turns the ball over that causes a breakdown on the fast break.
    Darren Erman can't make AD and DC play defense. When DC puts his head down and drives to the basket all the other players stand and watch.
    Its a Team effort just look at the Magic game last night.

Quote Originally Posted by Pelicanidae View Post
    The thing that struck me is how willing Gentry seemed to admit after last game that the defense sucks. He didn't mince any words, and we had a top ten defense last season. Obviously Hill played a part in that, but I don't think he alone is the difference between top ten and scraping top 20.

So if he recognises this terrible defense, why isn't he doing anything about it? Either he needs to make some defensive changes (which he hasn't done thus far), or he needs to concede defense to Erman and let someone else do it properly.
    Erman has ran the defense since the day he got here. Gentry doesn't touch it.

Quote Originally Posted by Mythrol View Post
    Erman has ran the defense since the day he got here. Gentry doesn't touch it.
    I know that Erman runs the defense nominally, but given the stunning change in defensive capacity from last season to this season and the general strategic differences we've seen so far, I'd be very surprised if there hasn't been some words thrown about regarding priorities and schemes. Of course, I might be wrong and Erman has just decided to stop caring, but I doubt it.

Edit: I just reread this and I realised I sounded like I was implying there were only two possibilities: either Erman doesn't care, or he's not in charge entirely anymore. Obviously that's not true there are other elements that could be the case, I'm just concerned to see what's done to fix our defensive issues going forward.
    Last edited by Pelicanidae; 10-31-2017 at 07:17 PM.

This sort of thread is at least a month too early.

As of today the Pels are 3-4. The very best team in the Conference is 5-2. In the 4 losses the Pels have lost to 3 of the hottest teams in the league (MEM, POR, and ORL) and against last year's champs. It's not quite sky is falling time yet.

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! pelicanchamp's Avatar
    Gentry remains coach imo. Who can we get that’s better? We need Rondo back. We need Hill back. Rondo should be back in 2 weeks. We need to possibly trade for a backup big. A guy who can rebound play d and hit 3s

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Banned
    Tic Tock
    Time keeps moving we keep losing. The Suns fired their Head Coach now they have a better record and are ahead of the Pelicans in the West. It’s not the roster is the Losing Energy Alvin Gentry has on these players.

Quote Originally Posted by Buckwheat View Post
    Tic Tock
    Time keeps moving we keep losing. The Suns fired their Head Coach now they have a better record and are ahead of the Pelicans in the West. It’s not the roster is the Losing Energy Alvin Gentry has on these players.
    Agreed

Fire gentry he hasn’t done anything with this team. I thought Monty was bad but now I wish he was back smh at least we played defense when he was coach.

Quote Originally Posted by PelicanNation View Post
    Fire gentry he hasn’t done anything with this team. I thought Monty was bad but now I wish he was back smh at least we played defense when he was coach.
    Dude, we were middling at best on D when Monty was here. Pretty good offensively though.

But yeah, Gentry's seat is warming up.

Gentry is a bad coach, it's clear, but Demps is for me the real cancer of this franchise. He made jrue's agent the MVP of the season. Miller should have stayed overseas, cunningham needs to go overseas and... Oh well.

Quote Originally Posted by IVAN_NOH View Post
    Gentry is a bad coach, it's clear, but Demps is for me the real cancer of this franchise. He made jrue's agent the MVP of the season. Miller should have stayed overseas, cunningham needs to go overseas and... Oh well.
    Keep going...

Quote Originally Posted by PelicanNation View Post
    I was part of team #FireMonty and look at me now. Full of regret. Lol. Can’t believe it.
    RIP FlyGirl

Gentry is a terrible HC but unfortunately (or fortunately) the team is good enough to be competitive which allows Gentry to keep his job. But no doubt the team is not playing to its full potential. Also, we have a terrible GM that built a less than productive roster but that's a different story.

Quote Originally Posted by P_B_&_G View Post
    Dude, we were middling at best on D when Monty was here. Pretty good offensively though.

But yeah, Gentry's seat is warming up.
    WARMING UP? Man his seat should've at least been on fire...I wanted it burned up already (Lol!)

Thread Information