Pelicans Report

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Thread: Brook Lopez trade talks??? {edited}

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!!
    Quote Originally Posted by MichaelMcNamara View Post
    What maybe I haven't been clear enough about is that these next two trades will be as much about re-signing Holiday as it will be about the actual players they get. They want to go to him on July 1 and say, "Yeah, we only won 70 games the last two years, but we added Lopez in February and Gallinari on draft night. You and AD are hitting your primes and Buddy will take a leap. You are about to win big here!"

Now compare that to him trying to sell Jrue after two 30 win seasons and we brought a 19 year old on board!! They take that path and they probably lose Jrue. Now that you know their thought process, maybe you can understand the appeal of Lopez
    So.. if you think this is their thought process, shouldn't they also be feeling pressure to move Jrue if they can't get anything else done before the deadline? What you're saying, is that Jrue will need to be convinced to resign, meaning he's been noncommittal. If they don't have a move in their pocket to add an asset to the team by trade deadline, don't they by their own acknowledgement if this is their thought process, increase the risk of losing Jrue for nothing?

So, someting has give. Either we bring in Okafor/Lopez/Somebody, or we should be moving Jrue.

Quote Originally Posted by luckyman View Post
    You mean in a series or single game? They haven' even "destroyed" the current Pelicans team yet. And thats including games without Jrue playing.

And unless you are looking at Okafor with blinders on, I think he can be as good or better than Lopez on offense. He is just solid on that end.
    Okafor doesn't hamstring your team like Lopez does if we don't re-sign Jrue. Okafor over Lopez is a no-brainer at this point in time. If we had Jrue re-signed, the Lopez deal would have at least slightly more appeal.

What maybe I haven't been clear enough about is that these next two trades will be as much about re-signing Holiday as it will be about the actual players they get. They want to go to him on July 1 and say, "Yeah, we only won 70 games the last two years, but we added Lopez in February and Gallinari on draft night. You and AD are hitting your primes and Buddy will take a leap. You are about to win big here!"

Now compare that to him trying to sell Jrue after two 30 win seasons and we brought a 19 year old on board!! They take that path and they probably lose Jrue. Now that you know their thought process, maybe you can understand the appeal of Lopez
    **** Jrue. He didn't even play in those 70 wins.
    Get as many assets as you can and start the rebuild now and up until Davis leaves.

I don't understand. How can you afford Gallinari, Lopez, Jrue, and AD? Jrue is going to cost near max (just based on supply and demand mixed with stupidity), Lopez is going to want top dollar next offseason, and Gallinari is going to be a pretty penny. Also, we would get waxed by Golden State (and the Jazz in the next two years) every time with this lineup. That would be pretty dumb if that's the case (which is basically your point anyways).

Basketball Guru
    You mean in a series or single game? They haven' even "destroyed" the current Pelicans team yet. And thats including games without Jrue playing.

And unless you are looking at Okafor with blinders on, I think he can be as good or better than Lopez on offense. He is just solid on that end.

right...the 3 games we played GS this season we held our own against them....jrue played one game and reke didnt play in none of them......asik and ajinca was not a threat at the 5.......curry was getting his but no one was making him work on defense.......imo ,,jrue,,reke,,hill,,AD,,okafor would hold their own....jones and d-mo at the 4 and 5 is another plus for us.......a hot buddy and galloway...hustle plays from dante....ill go to war with GS with that team and let the chips fall where they fall........i just wish gentry would draw plays up for jrue and reke to post up curry and make him work on defense,,i just see curry getting 2 or 3 fouls by trying to guard them in the paint.....

Quote Originally Posted by Topdawg26 View Post
    I don't understand. How can you afford Gallinari, Lopez, Jrue, and AD? Jrue is going to cost near max (just based on supply and demand mixed with stupidity), Lopez is going to want top dollar next offseason, and Gallinari is going to be a pretty penny. Also, we would get waxed by Golden State (and the Jazz in the next two years) every time with this lineup. That would be pretty dumb if that's the case (which is basically your point anyways).
    Yes his point.
    This franchise is delusional.
    Hence why they think we can still make the playoffs.

Thinking we can make the playoffs is not delusional. We can absolutely make the playoffs. Now is making the playoffs what's best for us? IMO it's the wrong decision but we can absolutely make it especially with the addition of another player.

This staff (Dell and Gentry) could be feeling pressure to win and get into the playoffs. Can they get there? Sure. only a few games out of 8th, which is crazy considering how good the West had been.

But can you beat Golden St in a series? No way. You may win a game... maybe 2 if the stars align. So the staff is making moves to win now for their own job security. I wouldn't be at all shocked if we somehow trade our 2017 pick too.

Quote Originally Posted by DroopyDawg View Post
    This staff (Dell and Gentry) could be feeling pressure to win and get into the playoffs. Can they get there? Sure. only a few games out of 8th, which is crazy considering how good the West had been.

But can you beat Golden St in a series? No way. You may win a game... maybe 2 if the stars align. So the staff is making moves to win now for their own job security. I wouldn't be at all shocked if we somehow trade our 2017 pick too.
    Once upon a time #8 gsw defeated the #1 mavericks i mean is it realistic? Not really but you never know

Quote Originally Posted by bahmamamba View Post
    Once upon a time #8 gsw defeated the #1 mavericks i mean is it realistic? Not really but you never know
    Yeah Dikembe's Nuggets pulled an 8 over 1 too.

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!!
    If the Pelicans make a push and get into the playoffs, I think it's highly likely they'll look to trade their picks in 2017 rather than add more young players that won't immediately (in Dell/Gentry's minds) help push the team further up the playoff seeding. People can argue that this is the wrong approach, but Jrue/Buddy/?/AD/Okafor where ? is a vet and not a rookie, is a team everyone will be excited about if they're coming off a playoff appearance. It's also a team that if everyone is healthy and improves, could easily be a 5 or 6 seed, and then at that point you're legitimately a threat to make it to the 2nd round.

If the player you plug in at SF thrives, Buddy takes a step forward, and Okafor gives you anything on defense... we're in business.

That's a lot of "Ifs", but it will always be a bunch of "Ifs" for NBA franchises that are not the marquee organizations.

Well if I'm Jrue, I would be sold on being the primary ball handler/leader of a young playoff team with cap flexibility to add other pieces along the way. You can say that if you add a young impact 19 year old like Josh or Tatum, add Vucevic, and stretch out Asik. That lineup might not be an instant top tier team but it's a playoff team that is on the rise. If the Pelicans sell me Lopez, Galliarni, and more of the same then I'm on the first flight back to Philly. I would rather play in the East then play with the modern day early 2000 Hawks (getting blown out in the second round every year).

I guess too many people don't understand that the NBA draft is just a different animal than other pro drafts. You can absolutely find gems all over the basketball version. Doesn't have to be in the lottery.

The Spurs are still alive as title contenders thanks to a 15th pick. Isaiah Thomas was "Mr. Irrelevant". David West was drafted by us 18th.

Making the playoffs and getting back on an upward trajectory is not a bad thing no matter how you slice it. Plus in a deep draft it's possible to move up and down.

I guess too many people don't understand that the NBA draft is just a different animal than other pro drafts. You can absolutely find gems all over the basketball version. Doesn't have to be in the lottery.

The Spurs are still alive as title contenders thanks to a 15th pick. Isaiah Thomas was "Mr. Irrelevant". David West was drafted by us 18th.

Making the playoffs and getting back on an upward trajectory is not a bad thing no matter how you slice it. Plus in a deep draft it's possible to move up and down.
    I highly doubt you are the only one who understands how the draft works. Literally everybody knows what you posted above. Everyone.

But its all about odds. Every single piece of data says that your chances of getting a difference maker significantly drops after you get outside of the top 5 picks. Goes down more after the top 10. More after you get out of the lottery and so on and so forth.

Chris Rock once said, "You can drive your car with your feet if you want to, but that don't make it a good {edited-veiled language} idea!"
    @mcnamara247

I highly doubt you are the only one who understands how the draft works. Literally everybody knows what you posted above. Everyone.

But its all about odds. Every single piece of data says that your chances of getting a difference maker significantly drops after you get outside of the top 5 picks. Goes down more after the top 10. More after you get out of the lottery and so on and so forth.

Chris Rock once said, "You can drive your car with your feet if you want to, but that don't make it a good {edited-veiled language} idea!"
    Literally everybody? Well that's certainly not the case. And here I remember you said you precision of language was big thing for you...

No, literally everybody does NOT know what I posted. Each team is different, and so the amount of "difference maker" you need with each pick is not the same for every team. So those odds don't apply evenly. The 76ers still need to absolutely nail their picks moreso than the Pelicans do. Depending on Simmons, they still might not have found their AD yet. Year after year in the top 6.

The Pelicans got their main guy to build around already. Though you'd like it, they don't need a mega super home run draft pick at this point.

As far as I'm concerned last off-season solidified the bench. They've got young prospects in Diallo and Heild.

The team simply needs an active big with good hands, and starter quality at the 3 spot. Anything else after that is a chess piece for the future.
    Last edited by luckyman; 02-15-2017 at 11:25 PM.

This team gets those two pieces and maybe they are a 6 or 7 seed. Which is fine, I guess, but that is if everything goes right

Don't forget this team has only played .500 ball and have had pretty prestine health over that time. They might add a guy or two but odds say that those two guys plus Jrue and AD won't all stay healthy. This team is much further away than that IMO

This team gets those two pieces and maybe they are a 6 or 7 seed. Which is fine, I guess, but that is if everything goes right

Don't forget this team has only played .500 ball and have had pretty prestine health over that time. They might add a guy or two but odds say that those two guys plus Jrue and AD won't all stay healthy. This team is much further away than that IMO
    Yeah of course but that's why adding two big contracts like Galo and Lopez makes no sense. It's best to get two younger guys on good rookie contracts to have the flexibility to add more depth. That's why I say add a younger guy like Vucevic (or Okafor if that's what makes them happen which is a 21 year old Brook Lopez) and get a wing with your top 10 pick (You can get either Josh or Tatum because PG's are going to go like hotcakes in this draft). I think Jrue isn't dumb enough to see adding Lopez and Galo aren't going to beat the Warriors. No matter "how much they are in their prime" they aren't good enough to beat the Warriors nor the Spurs with that roster. He would easily goto the 76ers and compete in the East. I know I'm preaching to the choir but I think selling Holiday on a young team with a core of (Vucevic, AD, 1st round pick, Buddy, and yourself) is more appealing then that other group. They would lose him in FA so fast.

The Franchise    Contributor   

not that this is really an on-thread comment, but I don't think any of you guys have a very good grip on how Jrue is going to approach this summer. I know we all do the 'I'd do this or that' sort of stuff with these guys, which usually gets followed up by 'no way, that's not how it works, this is how players and agents REALLY approach this' comment by another poster. Not that I am family or a friend he grew up with or anything like that, but I can say with complete confidence that he does not approach this stuff like most players. And his agent, while certainly a 'normal' agent with lots of other clients, I don't think approaches Jrue the same way as his other clients. Jrue, his wife, and his brother are all repped by this guy (as well presumably the other brother once he declares for the draft) and that family approaches things a little different than most NBA players.

I would offer Asik, Evans and our 2017 unprotected for Brook.

Quote Originally Posted by Silver Nail View Post
    They do that and I quit watching sports. Brook for the unprotected 2017 pick alone makes me nauseous.

Quote Originally Posted by Silver Nail View Post
    So you're telling me two players plus an unprotected lotto pick is worth an oft injured over 30 player? Wow

Quote Originally Posted by bahmamamba View Post
    So you're telling me two players plus an unprotected lotto pick is worth an oft injured over 30 player? Wow
    Evans is expiring. Asik is a turd.
    So it's Lopez for a 2017 pick.
    Id consider it for the 2018 pick top 5, but not 2017.

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! pelicanchamp's Avatar
    Lopez will cost too much and will offer a short term reward. I say we walk away from that deal.

Here's the plan I would try. Y'all might not like it but this is what I think we should do:
    Send Jrue Holiday, Ajinca and an unprotected 2018 first round pick to Detroit for Andre Drummond. If we have to add another piece I would try really hard to get Drummond. He scores he reoubounds he plays decent defense he's young and he's huge. Might fit well with AD.

After doing this trade I would finish the season and focus on developing Buddy and Diallo and build chemistry. I think Buddy can develop into a reliable offensive threat and increase his shooting attempts and score more like 17ppg at some point. Give Diallo a chance to grow and let's see what he can do. If he plays well then I will be very excited.

Tank if possible and miss the playoffs. Get in lotto and hopefully get the 9th or 10th pick. Select the best pg or SF available. If we get lucky and get a very good SF then we are moving in the right direction.

After the draft I would push really really hard to sign George Hill or Jeff Teague. If we could get Teague I think we would be a very good team. He's an excellent player and I would overpay him. If he signed with us I would then go after shooters. I would want at least 3 really good shooters but I think we could have a total of 5-6 very good shooters.

If we could pull this off I believe we could develop chemistry and go deep in the playoffs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thread Information