Pelicans Report

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: AD officially listed as day-to-day with adductor strain

Pelicans AD officially listed as day-to-day with adductor strain

"The pelican is fearsome. Take a raven, for example: it's omnivorous. It eats bugs, and seeds, and fruit, and carrion. Compared to the well-rounded citizen that is the raven, the pelican is the serial killer of birds." - Barry Petchesky, Deadspin

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! kinglio21093's Avatar
    We legit keep on escaping death with these major injuries.

day to day? a strain like that can keep you out for 2 months.

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!!
    The last thing they need to do is rush AD back. Let him sit as long as it takes to heal and work him back in gradually.

Quote Originally Posted by superstar7th View Post
    day to day? a strain like that can keep you out for 2 months.
    They said no structural damage so I'd imagine that means no tear.

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! Tinman's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by kinglio21093 View Post
    We legit keep on escaping death with these major injuries.
    This type of injury can take up to 4-5 months. It is a tendon injury. Can literally become chronic if it doesn't heal completely (pain free) before activity. Not saying it's going to take that long, but depending on what part of the adductor is affected, this can be a long haul. Played 2 yrs of high school baseball w/ constant certain movement pain because of this thing . It is complex & controls groin, hips (everything in the pelvic area.) I wish AD luck.

Ufffff, what a relief...

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! pelicanchamp's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Tinman View Post
    This type of injury can take up to 4-5 months. It is a tendon injury. Can literally become chronic if it doesn't heal completely (pain free) before activity. Not saying it's going to take that long, but depending on what part of the adductor is affected, this can be a long haul. Played 2 yrs of high school baseball w/ constant certain movement pain because of this thing . It is complex & controls groin, hips (everything in the pelvic area.) I wish AD luck.
    Do u think this injury was inevitable given the amount of pressure he has and lack of rest?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yeah, I think this is one you have to be careful with. Like the dreaded "sports hernia" it can be difficult to heal fully. Sounds like it's Grade I or II if the MRI was negative. Even so, I'd say AD is out a minimum of two weeks, probably longer with rehab. Last thing you want is for it to become chronic. Be interested to know if it was sudden or something that was bothering him before. Groin strains are often overuse injuries.

Inevitable ? No. The complexity of that tendon & what it controls is mind numbing . Oddly, & it may have had ZERO to do with anything.BUT, the past 4 games, before the injury, I kept telling the guys around us (STH), that AD didn't look right whenever he dunked the ball. He would land & STAND STILL for a moment before he moved. He would also walk gingerly when he was hard-fouled. Friends would ask me "what do you think it is" ? All I could say was "I DONT KNOW, but he looks ginger.

Quote Originally Posted by new city champ View Post
    Yeah, I think this is one you have to be careful with. Like the dreaded "sports hernia" it can be difficult to heal fully. Sounds like it's Grade I or II if the MRI was negative. Even so, I'd say AD is out a minimum of two weeks, probably longer with rehab. Last thing you want is for it to become chronic. Be interested to know if it was sudden or something that was bothering him before. Groin strains are often overuse injuries.
    So ironic that you just posted this, because I was typing my post, before I read yours.

If he was going to miss significant time, pretty sure the team would have just came out with the canned "4-6 weeks", or "6-8 weeks" or the Jrue Holiday "no timetable on his return."

Day-to-day sounds like it's either exactly that, meaning just a few games, or they really have no clue. Which is troubling for the current medical staff.

Quote Originally Posted by luckyman View Post
    If he was going to miss significant time, pretty sure the team would have just came out with the canned "4-6 weeks", or "6-8 weeks" or the Jrue Holiday "no timetable on his return."

Day-to-day sounds like it's either exactly that, meaning just a few games, or they really have no clue. Which is troubling for the current medical staff.
    Well, when it comes to tendons, we literally do have NO idea. There is NO WAY to determine the duration. If it's an adductor strain that caused him to need a wheelchair to leave that arena--> it AINT day to day. If AD comes back with ANY pain at all, it is medical practice malfeasance. A hypothesis for me would be 1-2 months. No 2 people have the same Tendon tolerance & there are many different working parts w/in the TENDON umbrella in this case. I wish him well, but he needs to feel ZERO pain before he comes back! AND even then, it could be a crap shoot.

"what do you think it is" ?
    Watch at 26 sec - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RycfEynAS7w

them calling it "day-to-day" is still the best you could hope for there.

They are probably just being cautious because he reacted like he was shot out there, but the tests came back negative. This isn't a miss a month sort of thing. Unfortunately it could be a linger and miss a couple of weeks thing, and the next few weeks are the toughest of the season until April, so wrong timing. But it's not a season ender or close. If teams have specific injuries/concerns with reliable prognoses they'll say 2-4 weeks, 4-6 weeks, 6-8 weeks, whatever. Day to day is just "when you feel up to it".

Quote Originally Posted by Andynola View Post
    Absolutely makes sense. That was 7 games prior to implosion. I remember that play. aggravate & aggravate until spring pops. There is no doubt in my mind, after you refreshing my mop memory, AD was, as I saw, playing ginger . Good find.

Well, when it comes to tendons, we literally do have NO idea. There is NO WAY to determine the duration. If it's an adductor strain that caused him to need a wheelchair to leave that arena--> it AINT day to day. If AD comes back with ANY pain at all, it is medical practice malfeasance. A hypothesis for me would be 1-2 months. No 2 people have the same Tendon tolerance & there are many different working parts w/in the TENDON umbrella in this case. I wish him well, but he needs to feel ZERO pain before he comes back! AND even then, it could be a crap shoot.
    Curious, you say" we literally have NO idea." Sounds like you are a doctor. Is that the case? If so, I would think you have solid insight into the issues that are posed here.

Quote Originally Posted by Bricklayer View Post
    them calling it "day-to-day" is still the best you could hope for there.

They are probably just being cautious because he reacted like he was shot out there, but the tests came back negative. This isn't a miss a month sort of thing. Unfortunately it could be a linger and miss a couple of weeks thing, and the next few weeks are the toughest of the season until April, so wrong timing. But it's not a season ender or close. If teams have specific injuries/concerns with reliable prognoses they'll say 2-4 weeks, 4-6 weeks, 6-8 weeks, whatever. Day to day is just "when you feel up to it".
    That Injury can most certainly last well over a month. I am assuming that you have never had that injury, because it's not as easy peasy as you are claiming. If the pain is lingering, then you don't play. Must be pain free or the injury can become chronic. AD will be at home for The holidays.

Quote Originally Posted by PELICANSFAN View Post
    Curious, you say" we literally have NO idea." Sounds like you are a doctor? Is that the case? If so, I would think you have solid insight into the issues that are posed here.
    No, not a doctor. Played college baseball & track. I always had to stretch extensively due to tight hammy's.Lived through that type on injury, oh, probably 4 separate times in over 20 yrs of playing sports. I don't have to be a doctor to know what a tendons purpose is. I assume you coached in the upper levels of basketball, since you know how to run a pick and roll! Touché . I mean,really. What are you trying to prove? When someone incurs an injury, that said someone would usually like to inquire about said injury. Right? Here- I DO have an idea. ---> 2 weeks to 5 months. Is that better?
    Last edited by Tinman; 12-04-2017 at 04:59 PM.

That Injury can most certainly last well over a month. I am assuming that you have never had that injury, because it's not as easy peasy as you are claiming. If the pain is lingering, then you don't play. Must be pain free or the injury can become chronic. AD will be at home for The holidays.
    Your specious logic of having to be a doctor to understand motor functions of different body parts seems a bit short sided. Or is there something else on your mind?

No, not a doctor. Played college baseball & track. I always had to stretch extensively due to tight hammy's.Lived through that type on injury, oh, probably 4 separate times in over 20 yrs of playing sports. I don't have to be a doctor to know what a tendons purpose is. I assume you coached in the upper levels of basketball, since you know how to run a pick and roll! Touché . I mean,really. What are you trying to prove? When someone incurs an injury, that said someone would usually like to inquire about said injury. Right? Here- I DO have an idea. ---> 2 weeks to 5 months. Is that better?
    Not meant to be a slight as you seem to have taken it. You sounded very knowledgeable and when you said "we" have no idea, I wondered if you were referring to you as doctors. Didn't know if you would be a good source for other injury-related topics when they happen. Thanks for the clarification.

Quote Originally Posted by PELICANSFAN View Post
    Not meant to be a slight as you seem to have taken it. You sounded very knowledgeable and when you said "we" have no idea, I wondered if you were referring to you as doctors. Didn't know if you would be a good source for other injury-related topics when they happen. Thanks for the clarification.
    No, We, as in us. Actually ,No one. Fought that injury through a year and a half, always playing because it hurt "just a little" problem was "It always hurt just a little", until it hurt "just a lot" It took from the end of baseball season through the summer (5 months) to be pain free. Now, granted- maybe the pain was gone in less than 5 months, because I was dormant in the summer, but

Tough thread for Gingers...

Quote Originally Posted by Heavy View Post
    Tough thread for Gingers...
    it's always tough on gingers, thus the moniker

Look, it's irrelevant who has had what injury. I've personally done rotator cuff, separated shoulder, torn elbow ligaments, torn thumb ligaments, torn ankle ligaments, broken jaw, fingers and arm...but if any NBA training staff examined a player who appeared to have one of those things happen to them, and then announced that player would be "day to day", my own experience with the injuries would not be relevant. What is relevant is the "day to day" prognosis. I've been watching the NBA for decades, and not once in all those years can I recall a "day to day" announcement preceding a player missing a month or more straight of action. Especially with soft tissue injuries, there are numerous different severities. If this was a significant tear, they wouldn't list it day to day, they'd know he was definitely going to be out for some period of weeks at least, and give a general range.

Thread Information