Pelicans Report

Thread: Help me out here guys....

The Franchise Contributor GeauxPelicans's Avatar

Help me out here guys....

I've been gone for awhile, because of fantasy football season, but why is the Hornets win total (this is the amount of games that Vegas thinks we will win) only 26.5? Am I being irrational thinking that a team that adds Anthony Davis, Austin Rivers and a healthy Eric Gordon can't win 6 more games than last year (when they are gonna play 16 more games this year)? Did something huge happen while I was gone in the past 2 months? Is the over the biggest lock of all time?

I expect more than 26, but I don't think it's a lock. If Davis, Gordon, or Anderson go down with injuries, we won't really have an offense capable of competing night in/night out. I also think, as is usually the case, that outside expectations are much lower than our own simply because we love our team and they don't.

We also lost:

Jarrett Jack 15ppg 6 assist and 4 rebounds
    emeka Okafor 10 and 8 Rebounds
    Ariza 10ppg 5 Assist
    Landry 12 ppg and 5 rebounds
    Kaman 13 ppg 7.7 Rebounds
    Marco 'god 'Belinelli 12 ppg

so we lost like 70 ppg. Gordon should be able to make up 20-25 Davis hopefully around 12-15 and Anderson Hopefully around 15. But I wouldn't call it a lock.

"I don't know if people know — I dislocated my pinkie finger. And [Tyreke] told me, 'You wanna go home or you wanna be here?' I want to be here. And he said, 'All right, then go tape it up and let's play. Let's go. We not stoppin' at no stores. Straight gas. That's what we do, just keep going.'"

http://thebasketbawlblog.com/

Quote Originally Posted by nolagoblue View Post
    Am I being irrational thinking that a team that adds Anthony Davis, Austin Rivers and a healthy Eric Gordon can't win 6 more games than last year (when they are gonna play 16 more games this year)?
    But Gordon isn't healthy, and I wouldn't expect too much from Rivers this season. Unless Gordon plays in a majority of the games they probably won't win much more than 30.

Quote Originally Posted by BallSoHard View Post
    We also lost:

Ariza 10ppg 5 Assist

so we lost like 70 ppg. Gordon should be able to make up 20-25 Davis hopefully around 12-15 and Anderson Hopefully around 15. But I wouldn't call it a lock.

True, but we didn't really rely on many of those guys down the stretch when we started winning games.

Quote Originally Posted by CarnbY View Post
    But Gordon isn't healthy, and I wouldn't expect too much from Rivers this season. Unless Gordon plays in a majority of the games they probably won't win much more than 30.
    What's up with Gordon? Is his knee still messed up? Sorry I spend all of my free time researching fantasy football and playing with my kids.

We will get more than 26 wins, this team isn't complete trash.
    Formally known as WhoDatMan504

Already took advantage of that line. We will win more that this year.

Vote Voodoo! Contributor Unknown Poster's Avatar
    It does seem pretty low... even casual sports betters who don't follow the Hornets probably wouldn't bite on the under there.
    "Hornets means nothing." - Tom Benson

It started at 24 and jumped to 26.5, so people have been betting the over since the beginning.

That said, the entire season hinges on Gordon IMO. If he plays 80 games, I see a minimum of 35 wins. But if he misses significant time, the Hornets could be dead last in the West. I mean, on paper, would any team out West have three starters as bad as AFA, Roger Mason, and GV?

GV is, arguably, the worst starting PG in the league. Mason would arguably be the worst starting 2 and Rivers at this point in his career isn't much better, and AFA is a bottom 5-7 starting SF.

So, with that bet- you are essentially betting on Gordon to play at least 55-60 games. He played 9 last year. Not a lock at all
    @mcnamara247

Quote Originally Posted by Make It Rain View Post
    Smart man.

Quote Originally Posted by Make It Rain View Post
    Where do you do this?

Friendly bet in the family

Vegas wins again.

The Voice of Reason Contributor RaisingTheBar's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by BallSoHard View Post
    We also lost:

Ariza 10ppg 5 Assist

This is a great point but to me that doesn't exactly equal wins. Look at the wizards last night. Oak and Ariza had once again below average performances in their team's loss.

Thread Information