Pelicans Report

Page 18 of 37 FirstFirst ... 8 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 28 ... LastLast

Thread: The rebrand and name change thread part 4

Quote Originally Posted by Hnobnov View Post
    Thanks to all of you that replied to my recent, rambling, rebrand post. It’s one of my frequently reoccurring “sport board posting” themes. Anyway, I usually post after I’ve had a couple of beers (just to relax) or first thing in the morning, semi- conscious waiting for the coffee to set in. Since I am as normal as I get as I write this, I really have nothing to say, but I hope we go Voodoo and thanks again for the beautiful quotes of my long post and your enlighten responses.
    The name is still a mystery, but there have been several rumors of Benson wanting red, gold, and black as the new colors.
    Old fan. Tired fan. I want to believe.

Quote Originally Posted by Hornet Hysteria View Post
    The name is still a mystery, but there have been several rumors of Benson wanting red, gold, and black as the new colors.
    Several? I'm only aware of the one, almost-throw-away mention by a reporter after a segment on Benson's wife -- and it was that Gayle Benson liked the colors, not necessarily Tom.

Vote Voodoo! Contributor Unknown Poster's Avatar
    Several people have repeated it thus several rumors!
    "Hornets means nothing." - Tom Benson

Band of Skulls & Neon Trees ramsters60's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Unknown Poster View Post
    Several people have repeated it thus several rumors!
    I believe it was 5 years ago when I heard my wife tell her best friend that she had made a New Years resolution ....she vowed that she would never repeat gossip again and thus told her friend to listen very, very closely the first time!
    "we might make dollars, but we don't necessarily make sense"

"always be sincere....whether you mean it or not"

Quote Originally Posted by DRob8785 View Post
    Several? I'm only aware of the one, almost-throw-away mention by a reporter after a segment on Benson's wife -- and it was that Gayle Benson liked the colors, not necessarily Tom.
    I've seen it referenced in several articles, so I think there may be some truth to it. However, all rebrand related rhetoric is questionable on various levels right now. It seems to be on Benson's back burner (say that 5 times, really fast ) for now.

I wrote this about you Mr. West's Avatar
    Jake from 247 is on twitter saying that he hears the name is pelicans. No link, sorry on a phone

Can someone post any of the mock-up Pelicans uniforms proposed in the past?! Thanks in advance

A Soulful Sports Fan Contributor Eman5805's Avatar
    Pelicans don't give a ****. They'll eat you. Your family. Your home. And your soul.

Escaped monkey island! all2neat's Avatar
    I could be on board with Pelicans. It's very Louisiana. I do hope Benson is able to come to an agreement with MJ to get Charlotte the name Hornets back.. It does have a significant cultural meaning to them and it's worthless to us.

I love it.
    "Times are not good here. The city is crumbling into ashes. It has been buried under taxes and frauds and maladministraions so that it has become a study for archaeologists...but it is better to live here in sackcloth and ashes than to own the whole state of Ohio."

— Lafcadio Hearn (Inventing New Orleans: Writings of Lafcadio Hearn)

On a permanent Holiday! Purple Haze's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. West View Post
    Jake from 247 is on twitter saying that he hears the name is pelicans. No link, sorry on a phone
    Didn't see that but he said that they would be posting info very soon about the rebrand.

Is this true?
    Wherehappens.

I've been lucky enough to see some killer Pelicans concept art...I hope this is true!

And all2neat: thanks for the support. We've all been watching y'alls' development with bated breath; now we can truly get to work on our end
    We Beelieve: Charlotte...Take Back Your Hornets! links:

Facebook:
    http://www.facebook.com/pages/We-Bee...2320741?ref=ts

Petition:
    http://www.change.org/petitions/we-b...se-the-hornets

Pelicans or Voodoo is fine by me.

As long as it isn't Spirit/Angels.

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! wuggie's Avatar
    Pelicans is perfect for us honestly, it's like the outcast of the bird world that no one likes except for people that exactly know about the bird, perfect lol

R.I.P. to HunnyB/FlyGirl

Quote Originally Posted by Ponchy Hornet View Post
    Can someone post any of the mock-up Pelicans uniforms proposed in the past?! Thanks in advance
    I didn't save them because bigdub didn't want them compromised, but they were really awesome. And I've heard that there are other mocks out there.

A trademark was granted for a New Orleans Basketball Spirit. Here's info from the Secretary of State's website:

THE SPIRIT OF NEW ORLEANS, LOUISIANA & LOGO: A BASKETBALL WITH NOLA ABOVE AND SPIRIT ACROSS AND BELOW THE MID SECTION. THERE ARE NOT RESTRICTIONS ON COLOR OR FONT.

It was granted at the end of August and is good for 10 years. Now, this could be someone trying to create a logo, hope the team infringes, and cash in, but you never know.

About the Pelicans -- Until May of this year, Benson owned the trade name "New Orleans Pelicans." That expired and is currently inactive. If he really wanted that name, and didn't want someone else to register it, then I seriously, seriously doubt his legal team would have let it lapse in the last 5 months...

Type(s) Registered: TRADE NAME
    Registered Name: NEW ORLEANS PELICANS
    Applicant: TOM BENSON
    5800 AIRLINE DRIVE
    METAIRIE, LA 70003
    Type Of Business: MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
    Book #: 50-0961
    Current Status: INACTIVE
    Inactive Reason: EXPIRED

But then again, who really knows, except those that made the decision.

As I alluded to above, I can vouch for what Purple's saying...the colors, the actual Pelican head logo...

Dub's brilliant.

Quote Originally Posted by thechosenuno View Post
    A trademark was granted for a New Orleans Basketball Spirit. Here's info from the Secretary of State's website:

THE SPIRIT OF NEW ORLEANS, LOUISIANA & LOGO: A BASKETBALL WITH NOLA ABOVE AND SPIRIT ACROSS AND BELOW THE MID SECTION. THERE ARE NOT RESTRICTIONS ON COLOR OR FONT.

It was granted at the end of August and is good for 10 years. Now, this could be someone trying to create a logo, hope the team infringes, and cash in, but you never know.

About the Pelicans -- Until May of this year, Benson owned the trade name "New Orleans Pelicans." That expired and is currently inactive. If he really wanted that name, and didn't want someone else to register it, then I seriously, seriously doubt his legal team would have let it lapse in the last 5 months...

Type(s) Registered: TRADE NAME
    Registered Name: NEW ORLEANS PELICANS
    Applicant: TOM BENSON
    5800 AIRLINE DRIVE
    METAIRIE, LA 70003
    Type Of Business: MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
    Book #: 50-0961
    Current Status: INACTIVE
    Inactive Reason: EXPIRED

But then again, who really knows, except those that made the decision.
    This was discussed quite a bit when the Spirit and Angels names were registered, who knows. And who knows if that data is even up-to-date.

Quote Originally Posted by John Morgan View Post
    As I alluded to above, I can vouch for what Purple's saying...the colors, the actual Pelican head logo...

Dub's brilliant.
    Totally agree, he is quite brilliant. But the head and logo I'm wearing is someone else's work. I would bet that dub's work would be even better.

Oh yeah, I mean that I saw what Dub did with it. Totally, 100% top notch. Wowzas.

Vote Voodoo! Contributor Unknown Poster's Avatar
    Pelicans is almost as bad as Hornets.

The Voice of Reason Contributor RaisingTheBar's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Unknown Poster View Post
    Pelicans is almost as bad as Hornets.
    Take out the word almost

Wow, this got negative in a hurry.

Pelican'ts?

Thread Information