Breaking News Tony Allen is a Pelican

Per shams
    CAW CAW!!!

-Founder and valuable member of the Caw Caw Boyz-

Holds Nothing Back Contributor shanetrain93's Avatar
    First team all defense?

Quote Originally Posted by shanetrain93 View Post
    First team all defense?
    Possibly, we still need a shooter. I say go for Dunleavy or a Ennis trade or even McDermott trade

Quote Originally Posted by Silverfoxx View Post
    Possibly, we still need a shooter. I say go for Dunleavy or a Ennis trade or even McDermott trade
    I wonder if McDermott can be had cheaply (i.e. Euro player who will never come or a future 2nd). I expected Cunningham and a shooter. Maybe Cunningham is still possible and they consider him the shooter.

I don't know how to feel about this

I wrote this about you Mr. West's Avatar
    BLAMO. You can question the fit offensively but when Hill went down, Allen was by far the best talent in the FA pool to fill the void.
    @DanielVeuleman

I love Tony Allen but the fit is questionable. Hopefully he'll bring some grit and hustle to the locker room.
    I know Dell's hands are tied a bit but he always seems to zig against his coach's zag. "My coach want defense? I'll get him players that can't defend a bike but can hit threes" "My new coach wants shooters? Time to focus on defensive players who can't hit a shot". At the same time, I don't hate the commitment to zig while the rest of the league zags.

Part of me hopes we don't see a lot of Rondo and Allen out there together. It took three hall of fame players in their prime who fit well next to each other when that worked in the past and one of them was the second best shooter of all time. At the same time, Rondo/Jrue/Allen/AD/Boogie should be able to completely lock any team up that doesn't move the ball well. I think ball movement a-la 2011-14 Spurs probably still causes some issues but there aren't too many teams that smart or talented to pass with that level of intelligence. I'm not a big believer in the effect that coaches have on their teams but Alvin is a bit of a system coach and this is the antithesis of his system. Might be interesting.

Still expect either Ajinca or Asik to be off the roster by the start of the season.
    Quote Originally Posted by zakzak View Post
    that dumb Gentry killing Asik morale seriously man he is been good when you compare last season then suddenly he sits whole damn first half barely gets minutes what an idiot we need muscle wee need rebound he took of asik jones,ajinca they got no place on this team play Diallo at least he is decent.
    .......if healthy

@Jabberwalker

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! Spaniard's Avatar
    So are we really going to start him at SF?

Most positive takeaway is that our games just got more fun to watch even if his offensive deficiency hurts us. The dude is fun as hell.

The Voice of Reason Contributor RaisingTheBar's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Spaniard View Post
    So are we really going to start him at SF?
    Yes we are and it's a great signing.

Quote Originally Posted by Jabberwalker View Post
    I love Tony Allen but the fit is questionable. Hopefully he'll bring some grit and hustle to the locker room.
    I know Dell's hands are tied a bit but he always seems to zig against his coach's zag. "My coach want defense? I'll get him players that can't defend a bike but can hit threes" "My new coach wants shooters? Time to focus on defensive players who can't hit a shot". At the same time, I don't hate the commitment to zig while the rest of the league zags.

Part of me hopes we don't see a lot of Rondo and Allen out there together. It took three hall of fame players in their prime who fit well next to each other when that worked in the past and one of them was the second best shooter of all time. At the same time, Rondo/Jrue/Allen/AD/Boogie should be able to completely lock any team up that doesn't move the ball well. I think ball movement a-la 2011-14 Spurs probably still causes some issues but there aren't too many teams that smart or talented to pass with that level of intelligence. I'm not a big believer in the effect that coaches have on their teams but Alvin is a bit of a system coach and this is the antithesis of his system. Might be interesting.

Still expect either Ajinca or Asik to be off the roster by the start of the season.
    Damn I agree with you. Love Allen not sure he fits. I'll let this one play out.

I'm excited.

Another undersized player that can't shoot. Great!

Quote Originally Posted by Topdawg26 View Post
    The Pelicans will battle teams with their big men on offense, and battle the Warriors' shooters with Allen. I don't know how big a part Allen had on it, but he is a great defender, and the Grizzlies gave the Warriors problems, winning I think twice against them last season.

People are underrating Rondo here. With him feeding Jrue, Davis, and Cousins, this team is gonna be nasty.

Quote Originally Posted by Topdawg26 View Post
    Who is our other undersized player? Rondo and Jrue are probably one of the biggest backcourts in the entire NBA and AD and Cousins are grown men against anyone.

As far as the signing goes, I've been saying it for weeks now since Hill got injured. Tony Allen just made WAY too much sense. How many minutes does he play and does he start? I don't know. That depends on Miller and who else we sign. But one thing you need in this league is a shut down wing defender and Tony Allen gives us that. Even if he is only brought off the bench to guard the other teams best wing, it's a great fit.

People forget Rondo has shot 35% or higher from 3pt for 3 years in a row now. He actually shot better than Moore from 3pt last year.

I like the signing, especially with the twin towers guarding the rim. Though I hope that last roster spot goes to somebody capable of guarding 3/4

Without knowing any of the details of Tony Allen's deal, I hope our last roster spot goes to Cunningham.

Looking less and less likely DC is back

Quote Originally Posted by Mythrol View Post
    Without knowing any of the details of Tony Allen's deal, I hope our last roster spot goes to Cunningham.
    Agreed.

"I'm not going to allow my putative owner to answer that question, this is an NBA related press conference. Paul Tagliabue and Roger Goodell have collectively sung their praises of Tom and if uh ESPN has a problem with that tell Mr. Skipper to call me at my office."

Come on guys. I was advocating for Tony Allen for a reason. The last spot absolutely MUST go to a shooter now, but...come on! Tony Allen. One of the best perimeter defenders and tough guy leaders of the modern era, and he just got added to a team with Anthony Davis, DeMarcus Cousins, Jrue Holiday and Rajon Rondo. This is a great move. And there's your defensive captain, and also a guy who might inspire some defensive flashbacks from Rondo.

I approve this signing. Committing to the defensive game!

And in training camp news

Perry Jones has agreed upon a training camp deal with the New Orleans Pelicans.

Jones will have an opportunity to make the regular season roster. Jones played in 24 games last season in the G-League.

Quote Originally Posted by Jabberwalker View Post

Very spot on post.

I like him as a mentor for Jrue. He was there when Conley morphed into a max-worthy player. Hopefully he has some insight that can help Jrue make a similar leap.

Quote Originally Posted by boardtown View Post
    I like him as a mentor for Jrue. He was there when Conley morphed into a max-worthy player. Hopefully he has some insight that can help Jrue make a similar leap.
    Wouldn't that be sweet!

I don't see how anyone can be upset with this signing. He is basically going to give just about what you would have gotten from Solo. He might even be a bit better on the defensive end if he still has it.

Re-sign Dante and lets get the season started already!
    Last edited by P_B_&_G; 09-11-2017 at 09:44 PM.

Thread Information