Pelicans Report

Thread: How important is Vasquez to Gordon?

How important is Vasquez to Gordon?

Even though Gordon and Vasquez are two of the few Hornets remaining form last year, they hardly had any time together in the court. Given the fact that I often hear people saying that Gordon will often bring the ball down himself, and that he will be creating his own opportunities, How much do you think developing a good chemistry between him and Vasquez will affect Gordon’s numbers his season and the hornets performance?

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!!
    I hope Austin and Gordon start, and play together mostly

Vasquez is a great passer, he could make gordon shots easier to make!!

Quote Originally Posted by smcgull View Post
    I hope Austin and Gordon start, and play together mostly
    I do not, but everyone is entitled to an opinion.

As far as Vasquez and Gordon go I think it will be a good backcourt. Vasquez is very much team-first, so will happily initiate the offense and look for the open player, or defer to gordon to run the play. His 3 pt shot has looked very good this off-season and if he can knock that down at 35-40% he will be great next to Eric. Also his handle seemed to improve throughout last season with less turnovers. Often he was trapped last year without a legitimate second ball handler on the floor such as Eric, Austin and to a lesser extent Roger. As far as Austin, I think he knows his place in the rotation and will try and be the best facilitator he can (albeit it off his own penetration), I just don't think he has the skills yet and ultimately think him bringing offense with the 2nd unit at either guard will be best for the team. In an ideal world Austin will develop into a genuine combo guard, ala old school Chauncey, but come off the bench as a 6th man very much in the mould of Jet or Manu. As far as minutes in the back-court (later this season) I would like to see

Greivis: 29 minutes
    Eric: 36 minutes
    Austin: 24 minutes (increasing to 28 next season if he pans out)
    Roger Mason/ Xavier: 17

With guys like Roberts playing spot minutes/garbage time (and god forbid injury). Still think our weakest spot is at the 3, so wouldn't even be surprised to see a lineup including AR, EG, GV

I think the General has the prefect skill set offensively to compliment Gordon. I just don't think he's a NBA caliber starter in this league.

Quote Originally Posted by da ThRONe View Post
    I think the General has the prefect skill set offensively to compliment Gordon. I just don't think he's a NBA caliber starter in this league.
    I am not sure I follow you. You are saying that he could complement Gordon really well, but he should not be the starter?

Quote Originally Posted by morsatun View Post
    I am not sure I follow you. You are saying that he could complement Gordon really well, but he should not be the starter?
    Vasquez is a good safety valve for Gordon, but poses no serious threat to opposing starters on his own.

Quote Originally Posted by morsatun View Post
    Yes that's exactly what I'm saying. Vasquez is a good spot up shooter that can run the offense to take some pressure off of Gordon with great height for his position. However he has poor lateral movement which not only makes him limited on defense it makes him limited on offense.

Thread Information