Pelicans Report

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Tidbits on Pelicans

The Franchise

Tidbits on Pelicans

Any thoughts, I think PJ Tucker would be a good addition.

Southwest Notes: Pelicans, Capela, Mavericks

April 18th, 2017 at 10:59pm CST by Chris Crouse

The Pelicans will look to add outside shooting this offseason, John Reid of The Times-Picayune relays.

”We’re going to look at all options,” GM Dell Demps said. ”We’re going to be broad in our search to find the best possible outcome for the season. Obviously shooting, I think that’s the big importance. We have to be creative and you know putting the right mix around those guys is going to be important.”

Reid names J.J. Redick, Kyle Korver, Andre Iguodala and P.J. Tucker among the unrestricted free agents who could be a fit in New Orleans. It’s worth noting that Iguodala coming to Louisiana is unlikely, as the Warriors plan on keeping him in Golden State beyond this season.

I've been a big fan of Tucker since he came back to the league. He's older now but probably has one more contract with good play in him. Plus he shot 45.5% on corner 3s last year. That would have put him highest on our entire team (that wasn't a temp contract) last year. His defense is also really good and would make our already solid defense even more threatening.

The issue is though, how much different is Tucker than Solomon Hill? Tucker is probably the better player now (at least his rebounding and corner 3 is) but he's also a good bit older and is likely to start to decline. You also can't really play both together since they are both true SFs that really switch bigger instead of going smaller. Actually, Hill probably has more defensive versatility since he can switch down to a SG in a pinch but Tucker cannot. Overall, I wouldn't be upset if we got Tucker but there's bigger needs and better fits out there.

JJ Redick would be a good fit and young enough for one more contract as well. He could fill the Buddy Hield role at starting SG and he knows Gentry's system and can work in it. Ultimately I wonder how much different he would be than Crawford. He has been doing it against NBA starters so I give him credit for that though. I'm not sure we can go after him because I have a feeling the Clippers will throw a lot of money at him to keep their core.

Korver I wouldn't go after unless he was cheap, just too old to give a big contract to. He is kind of a worse Redick at this point but if we are desperate for shooting it might make sense.

Really what I'm focusing on in the off season is secondary ball handler who can still create for others. Assuming Jrue is back, and even if he isn't, that's what we need most. My ultimate target has been Bledsoe for awhile now and I will stick with that, assuming we can get a package together to get him.

These were the best guys I can see the Pels going after if we kept Jrue. Joe Ingles is another possibility. IMO PJ Tucker would add awesome leadership and toughness, but I can see Toronto letting Lowery walk and resigning Tucker and Obama
    CAW CAW!!!

-Founder and valuable member of the Caw Caw Boyz-

Quote Originally Posted by Silverfoxx View Post
    These were the best guys I can see the Pels going after if we kept Jrue. Joe Ingles is another possibility. IMO PJ Tucker would add awesome leadership and toughness, but I can see Toronto letting Lowery walk and resigning Tucker and Obama
    How many ppg is Obama averaging?
    SIGN A SF

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! pelicanchamp's Avatar
    Reddick would instantly improve our offense. He makes the most sense imo.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by All Metro View Post
    How many ppg is Obama averaging?

Quote Originally Posted by Silverfoxx View Post
    Yes Joe Ingles would be another one that I would focus on. Gives us a better 3pt threat than Hill with similar defense. Can also move him down to the SG as well so they can play together. Is a good corner 3pt shooter. Can pass the ball some too. He makes a lot of sense.

Justin Holiday as well. Good corner 3pt shooter, has length to guard guys.

Still think we need another ball handler for our 1st team more than anything else but there's some options out there.

The great thing about Tucker is he adds defense and real physicality to go with his threes. Normally you have to sacrifice one for the other. Underrated player, probably because he went to a team that didn't have major stars. but put him alongside the twin towers and you are talking about the biggest toughest frontcourt in the league while it's on the floor.

Reddick would be a really nice fit on a short contract, but not sure he leaves LA. Hard to believe he is almost 33 years old. Ingles would be nice as well.

Reddick. Korver. Tucker. Ju. Holiday, Ingles.
    How much are You guys willing to pay. Dollars and years.

Spoiler allert IMO only Korver and Holiday are in our range.

The Franchise
    I'd rather grab guys a little younger and probably not as expensive like McClemore, Simmons, Justin Holiday, and maybe Tim Hardaway Jr (probably cost a lot).

At Point guard, I'd work on Jrue and Teague and if neither of them workout try to trade for Elfrid Payton. I don't watch Elfrid enough but would like a hometown guy back in Louisiana

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!!
    Kyle Korver please

This offseason really could go so many different ways. Don't see Tucker, Iguodala, or Ingles signing here, and probably not Reddick either.

How could we possibly afford any of them?

Im guessing we would have to sign one of them then we could resign jrue and go over the cap because of bird rights?

Bledsoe, CJ Miles, Sergio Rodriguez, and Ian Clark are realistically attainable players that I think would be great fits.

You can sign Clark, Holiday, Korver, maybe Miles with MLE (or most part of it) - assuming we are over the cap.
    with Jrue cap hold we are over the cap - so You don't have much room.

MM had some pieces on our options.

So with Jrue we may sign max 2 guys of justin holiday - ian clark type.
    unless You will trade others or move holiday

Pondexter+Ajinca + pick for type-Lin
    strsteching Asik

best possible case with Jrue is type Bledsoe/Lin plus type Justin Holiday/Clark
    I mean we can add up to 2 decent guys + minimum players

Letting Jrue walk creates some additional space and gives us more options

Quote Originally Posted by pawel View Post
    You can sign Clark, Holiday, Korver, maybe Miles with MLE (or most part of it) - assuming we are over the cap.
    with Jrue cap hold we are over the cap - so You don't have much room.

MM had some pieces on our options.

So with Jrue we may sign max 2 guys of justin holiday - ian clark type.
    unless You will trade others or move holiday

Pondexter+Ajinca + pick for type-Lin
    strsteching Asik

best possible case with Jrue is type Bledsoe/Lin plus type Justin Holiday/Clark
    I mean we can add up to 2 decent guys + minimum players

Letting Jrue walk creates some additional space and gives us more options
    If we make a trade for Bledsoe which takes slightly more salary back, can we use the MLE on either Justin Holiday, Ian Clarke or CJ Miles and still sign Cunningham also?

Then go over the cap to re-sign Jrue.

In every case of re-signing Jrue - his re-signing comes last.

So you are using all the remaining space first (and all the exceptions)

Dante was signed with MLE (part of it). But with his years of service we may go over the cap (through his bird rights). The problem might be with dollars. How much we are willing to pay him not to go tax next year...

In every case of re-signing Jrue - his re-signing comes last.

So you are using all the remaining space first (and all the exceptions)

Dante was signed with MLE (part of it). But with his years of service we may go over the cap (through his bird rights). The problem might be with dollars. How much we are willing to pay him not to go tax next year...
    So essentially we don't need to use the MLE on retaining Cunningham as we can use his bird rights to go over the cap like we would with Holiday?

Quote Originally Posted by AUSSIE_PELICAN View Post
    So essentially we don't need to use the MLE on retaining Cunningham as we can use his bird rights to go over the cap like we would with Holiday?
    Correct, we have Cunningham's full Bird Rights. So resigning him would be similar to how we would resign Jrue. Assuming Cunningham opts out this summer, which I don't see why he wouldn't.

As far as your other question goes, yes we can trade for Bledsoe and still have our MLE as long as we stay over the cap, I mean it's slightly more complicated than that but the jist of it is - over cap, all good for MLE.

How's this for a tidbit I spoke with Justin Holiday last Saturday at a crawfish boil and he told me he doesn't like it in New York at all. So, I'm thinking his younger brother wouldn't like it in New York either.

Banned
    Pawel thanks for sharing nice read.

Quote Originally Posted by HalfBreed View Post
    How's this for a tidbit I spoke with Justin Holiday last Saturday at a crawfish boil and he told me he doesn't like it in New York at all. So, I'm thinking his younger brother wouldn't like it in New York either.
    I see no reason for you to lie so I thank you for sharing this.

It seems most of the ideas for how to make this off season work revolves around a S&T of Jrue to NY.

Maybe Holiday feels obligated to push for a S&T to help out a team that stuck by him. I'm still highly skeptical of a S&T happening though.

All those scenarios would be amazing and wouldn't make me miss Holiday at all.

Thread Information