Pelicans Report

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: Possible Hornets Trade: Warrick to CHA for Carroll/Carroll bought out

A Soulful Sports Fan Contributor Eman5805's Avatar
    Hm. When does he become eligible to be traded with someone else?

The Voice of Reason Contributor RaisingTheBar's Avatar
    Why even make this trade?

Re: Possible Hornets Trade: Warrick to CHA for Carroll Per Stein

Quote Originally Posted by RaisingTheBrow View Post
    Because Caroll is a better player for our current team and we give up nothing.

E: that's not to say that Caroll is good or anything, but we will need him to fill out some minutes for our roster more often than Warrick would.

Sent from my DROID3 using Tapatalk 2

The Voice of Reason Contributor RaisingTheBar's Avatar
    He is barley going to play.

Quote Originally Posted by Eman5805 View Post
    Hm. When does he become eligible to be traded with someone else?
    To me, this is the most important question and the one thing I don't like about the trade. Carroll will not be able to be offered as part of a package until Jan.13th, where Warrick could have been packaged today with Henry or anybody else.

It just limits Dell's flexibility for two months- and for what? Not that this makes this a terrible trade, just a C- for me personally. You traded non-factor for non-factor and lost flexibilty
    @mcnamara247

Saint Pelican of Mile High Contributor DefensiveMind's Avatar

We have 8 guys who can play front court minutes. 6 who can play backcourt minutes and that includes Eric Gordon who won't be back until sometime around Memorial Day. Not every trade has to be a game changer, but it should at least be practical. Thats all we are seeing here.

Saint Pelican of Mile High Contributor DefensiveMind's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by MichaelMcNamara View Post
    To me, this is the most important question and the one thing I don't like about the trade. Carroll will not be able to be offered as part of a package until Jan.13th, where Warrick could have been packaged today with Henry or anybody else.

It just limits Dell's flexibility for two months- and for what? Not that this makes this a terrible trade, just a C- for me personally. You traded non-factor for non-factor and lost flexibilty
    Not really.

You added a player who can play garbage minutes for a thin backcourt. What the heck where you gonna get for Warrick and flotsam that you still can't get right now?

Rivers seems to get hurt quite often from playing all out. I'm all about having some depth. I think Warrick played once this year.

Jimeert Freedet 4 Prez IamQuailman's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by DefensiveMind View Post
    We have 8 guys who can play front court minutes. 6 who can play backcourt minutes and that includes Eric Gordon who won't be back until sometime around Memorial Day. Not every trade has to be a game changer, but it should at least be practical. Thats all we are seeing here.
    Amen. We needed depth and got that in a quality lockerroom guy... I doubt he'll see alot of minutes, but if Rivers goes down again we'll need SOMEONE to play SG.

I am gonna miss Hakim... The 7 mins he gave us this season were important. He'll be missed...

I wrote this about you Mr. West's Avatar
    IMO Warrick was probably asking to be traded somewhere where he could play and Charlotte was the only team interested. They offer a very good locker room guy (And former DLeague MVP, FYI) and we thought "Eh why not. The back court is thin."

He becomes our oldest player. Welcome, Matt!

Is Carroll bad? He ain't good.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. West View Post
    IMO Warrick was probably asking to be traded somewhere where he could play and Charlotte was the only team interested. They offer a very good locker room guy (And former DLeague MVP, FYI) and we thought "Eh why not. The back court is thin."
    What he said.

What the heck where you gonna get for Warrick and flotsam that you still can't get right now?
    It's not what you can get right now, it's what you can get December 15th when this year's free agent signings can be traded. Although I don't think too many trades usually go down as soon as that deadline passes. Most activity happens closer to the deadline. But Demps did limit his flexibility in what was probably a good will move.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. West View Post
    That's most likely what happened. The only game he played was when Davis was out... and even then he only saw 7 minutes. When he entered the game, I was thinking "I wonder what the team's plan is for this guy. He used to be relatively productive and now he's stuck behind 4 bigs who could all play 40+ minutes on any given night."

Team saves a little bit in salary and brings in a locker room guy who can shoot. Straight up, it's probably a bad deal for the Hornets. But overall, and considering the Hornets' situation, they're probably better off making this deal. Neither would play on this team anyway, and instead you get a locker room guy instead of a guy who might complain about not playing.

Cue the Star Wars Imperial March Music and let the domino falling begin. Demps says the games have begun.

Yay! Ever since I saw Desmond Mason throw it down on Matt Carroll, I've thought "OMG I want him on my team" haha but in all seriousness whenever he is in the game I will be chanting MVP at my computer + he does Roger Masons job better than Roger does

funny, i woke up this morning with a hunch that we made a trade...was expecting bigger i think :P

Jim Eichenhofer ‏@Jim_Eichenhofer
    Veteran guard Matt Carroll brings perimeter shooting, backcourt depth to Hornets: http://on.nba.com/TYm1wO

Two things I see with this:

1. It saves about $500,000 from the payroll. Doesn't sound like much, but for a small market team that type of cash can have real consequences. Especially if Dell is on a fixed budget with Benson like he was when the league was running things. 500k got us Carl Landry.

2. Carroll is a more tradeable piece. While Warrick has some very minor value as an actual player (which is debatable at his price tag really), Carroll is quite simply the cheaper expiring which provides more flexibility in making another deal.

January 13th is right in prime time for making further deals, so anyone complaining about that aspect is really just being impatient. Dell is playing chess not checkers, as usual.

Vote Voodoo! Contributor Unknown Poster's Avatar
    With Gordon's horrible contract on the books you need to squeeze out every dollar you can for flexibility.
    "Hornets means nothing." - Tom Benson

Matt may have lost a step but like others mentioned, he will be a "good locker room guy". Matt is a consummate professional who can and should knock down the open 3.

A Soulful Sports Fan Contributor Eman5805's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Unknown Poster View Post
    With Gordon's horrible contract on the books you need to squeeze out every dollar you can for flexibility.
    True enough. Still. Would've rathered we bring in a guy that can run point. Got plenty of people that can play our wing spots.

Possible Hornets Trade: Warrick to CHA for Carroll Per Stein

You need to let your man crush for Warrick go. He isn't that good. There's a reason he wasn't getting playing time.

Emeka Okafor - Joe Smith - Carmelo Anthony - Manu Ginobili - Jason Williams

Al Jefferson - James Posey - Aaron McKie - Shaun Livingston

This right here... I was gonna post pretty much the same thing but I figured someone had this same idea. We haven't gotten much of anything from X, and Carroll can shoot... or at least he used to be able to shoot (haven't seen much of him in a while, but I remember him at ND and he used to fill it up.

Warrick was the last frontcourt player on the depth chart... I'd take another shooter in exchange for a big that gets no minutes, and its not like Carroll is eating our cap space and crippling us in the future. Another good locker room guy isn't a bad thing either.

The obligatory youtube (from 4 years ago)

Thread Information