Pelicans Report

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Ideas for Back-up Big

Ideas for Back-up Big

So it's very clear now we need a capable, experienced back-up big man in case of injury and to let Cousins and Davis be more rested to have enough to close out games. They very well could just sign a guy in FA (can't think of any decent ones, though), but if Bledsoe is traded elsewhere...

Here's my list of realistic but good trade options:

Kyle O'Quinn
    : With Kanter, W. H-Gomez and Noah at C (with KP also capable of playing C), and seemingly in the tank direction, O'Quinn could be available. He has a salary of about $4 mil for this year and player option for 4.2 mil next season.
    Ajinca + Diallo or 2 2nds or very protected 1st Seems like a high price, maybe, but he's a solid vet that is dependable and maximizes the effectiveness of AD and Cuz.

Kosta Koufos: Kings have Randolph, Cauley-Stein, Papgianis, and Skal all capable of getting C minutes. Still unclear whether Asik will be traded or not since they could be waiting on that possible medical retirement cap-clearing in Feb. But if so, Asik + one of Diallo or protected 1st or F. Jackson could get the deal done. Koufos is another solid vet who has experience playing with Cousins. $8.4 mil this season with player option for 8.7mil next season.

Robin Lopez McNamara has been circulating this one for awhile, and it makes some sense. Asik + Ajinca + protected 1st. With the fight fiasco over there, they might be leaning towards keeping a good veteran presence like Lopez during their rebuild. But if they want to collect an extra pick and clear up playing time for Felicio and Markenan, this could be an option. Lopez is probably the most talented of the list, but also the most expensive: $13.7mil this season, 14.4mil guaranteed next season.

Any others you can think of? I know a lot of reactions will be "No way we should spend a 1st or Diallo on a back-up big, our most stacked position!" And maybe so. But it's also trading out non-playable players on contracts with valuable playable a one, plus it maximizes the health and stamina of our two best players. Could be a good investment.

Moore + Ajinca for Tyson Chandler. Sign Gerald Green.

Saint Pelican of Mile High Contributor DefensiveMind's Avatar
    I'm cool with expanding the all-but-certain Eric Bledsoe trade to include Tyson Chandler. Even if we are only facilitating: see below

http://www.espn.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=ycs4ya3l

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Lavoy Allen, Roy Hibbert, Kris Humphries, David Lee, Thomas Robinson, Jared Sullinger, and Derrick Williams are all free agents that could receive a look.

"I'm not going to allow my putative owner to answer that question, this is an NBA related press conference. Paul Tagliabue and Roger Goodell have collectively sung their praises of Tom and if uh ESPN has a problem with that tell Mr. Skipper to call me at my office."

Forgot Hibbert was still out there. Limited player, but after seeing Diallo's "defense" and lack of size, it would be an incredible relief just to have a big center capable of anchoring the defense while the studs are out. Terrible offensive player and weak rebounder (which would not help), but can actually pass facing up too (played in a Princeton offense in college), which could be useful when filling in for Boogie.

As always though, how do you fit any more guys under the cap? Even with the injury exception, I think the money could still kick you over the tax limit. Trades might be the only way, and I am glad to see that the Tyson Chandler idea which I was poking at back in the summer is back in vogue. I just don't know why the Suns would be interested in anything the Pels have except possibly Diallo (possibly) and the 1st. And those are gulps for a 35 yr old center.

Still, to quote my dearly departed father, it is time for the Pels to...take care of their business or get off the pot. Are you mice or men? Are you going to go all out to win and make this work, or shuffle about eyes downcast and just feebly hope it will magically happen by itself?
    Last edited by Bricklayer; 10-25-2017 at 04:13 AM.

I think we forget about Bledsoe.
    I'd go with:

Asik, Moore, Ajinca and this years first for Chandler, Dudley and this years 2nd.

Rondo/Nelson/Jackson
    Holiday/Clark/Allen
    Dudley/Miller/Hill*
    Davis/Cunningham/Diallo
    Cousins/Chandler

* Would start after injury return

This team is a 45+ win team.

Quote Originally Posted by DefensiveMind View Post
    I'm cool with expanding the all-but-certain Eric Bledsoe trade to include Tyson Chandler. Even if we are only facilitating: see below

Lol Cavs with -55 wins with the trade.

Basketball Guru
    i wonder what happen between terrence jones and the pelicans.....i wanted him as the backup big,,,he would have gave us some points off the bench...

Quote Originally Posted by DefensiveMind View Post

Niice, this is a good and realistic one. I'd be a bit worried about losing Moore, but Shumpert can make a similar impact and guard SF better, and open up more minutes for Clark and force Holiday to step up more.

Chandler is definitely one I should've added to the list, too. Makes a lot of sense. Another good character, stabilizing vet presence and still has some game left in a back-up role.

Quote Originally Posted by PelsFan2313 View Post
    Lavoy Allen, Roy Hibbert, Kris Humphries, David Lee, Thomas Robinson, Jared Sullinger, and Derrick Williams are all free agents that could receive a look.
    Good suggestions, I think Humphries makes a lot of sense, Lee and Lavoy Allen, too. But yea, like Bricklayer is saying, that lux tax implications could prevent this FA route.

Quote Originally Posted by AUSSIE_PELICAN View Post
    I'd go with:

Asik, Moore, Ajinca and this years first for Chandler, Dudley and this years 2nd.

Rondo/Nelson/Jackson
    Holiday/Clark/Allen
    Dudley/Miller/Hill*
    Davis/Cunningham/Diallo
    Cousins/Chandler

Niiice, like this trade. Don't think Suns would want to give up the 2nd tho if they're taking Asik and Ajinca's dead salary and the extra year of Moore's contract. Might even have to add F. Jackson. But yea, Chandler would be awesome, and Dudley could fit well as another vet knock-down 3-pt. shooter with a history with Gentry. And of course, finally clearing out the contracts of the two big guys and replacing them with good players. Would hurt to lose Moore with him playing so well of late, but with Holiday and Clark and Allen, they should be alright.

Here's the solution, Pel's send E Moore, SOLO, ASIK and draft choice/exchange if necessary to Suns and receive BLEDSOE and Knight. ASIK is our garbage, Knight is theirs. This frees up a little cash and allows us to call DIAW

Asik might Com completely off the books in a few months.

As bad as it sucks right now we just need to survive until we get healthy. Not make a long term bad move for a temporary problem.

A small move for a big. If DMo wasn't playing in China I'd be blowing his phone up right now. Maybe still would. He knows the system and gives us enough of what we need. Where's Terrance Jones at right now? He'd fill the gap alright enough as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Silver Nail View Post
    Here's the solution, Pel's send E Moore, SOLO, ASIK and draft choice/exchange if necessary to Suns and receive BLEDSOE and Knight. ASIK is our garbage, Knight is theirs. This frees up a little cash and allows us to call DIAW
    Knight's contract is worse than Asik's.

Quote Originally Posted by 6warddude View Post
    i wonder what happen between terrence jones and the pelicans.....i wanted him as the backup big,,,he would have gave us some points off the bench...
    yeah I wouldnt mind having him back

Quote Originally Posted by AUSSIE_PELICAN View Post
    I'd go with:

Rondo/Nelson/Jackson
    Holiday/Clark/Allen
    Dudley/Miller/Hill*
    Davis/Cunningham/Diallo
    Cousins/Chandler

That team can compete for a championship. Loads of advantages going into the playoffs if healthy and clicking on all cylinders. It's also a healthy environment for our Big 3 and our young guys (Diallo, Frank, Miller) to grow and learn in.

Quote Originally Posted by Mythrol View Post
    Asik might Com completely off the books in a few months.
    MIGHT, IN MONTHS

But I do agree. Ride it out.

Quote Originally Posted by SmontySwilliams View Post
    MIGHT, IN MONTHS

But I do agree. Ride it out.
    Right that's what I'm saying. Ride it out.

Quote Originally Posted by Rheem654 View Post
    Niiice, like this trade. Don't think Suns would want to give up the 2nd tho if they're taking Asik and Ajinca's dead salary and the extra year of Moore's contract. Might even have to add F. Jackson. But yea, Chandler would be awesome, and Dudley could fit well as another vet knock-down 3-pt. shooter with a history with Gentry. And of course, finally clearing out the contracts of the two big guys and replacing them with good players. Would hurt to lose Moore with him playing so well of late, but with Holiday and Clark and Allen, they should be alright.
    I wouldn't care if they didn't want to throw in a 2nd rounder i'd still do it without thinking.
    My only concern is next season when we pay Cousins and have to find some money to somehow keep Rondo and Clark.

I want more Diallo. Let him prove himself, or I guess we could go on with the "why can't we develop anyone?" Dialog we constantly see.
    If you Jimmer it, they will come.

What about this deal?
    http://www.espn.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=ya6cwkjc

Phoenix gets: Brogdon, Monroe, Asik, Moore, NO protected 1st, MIL 2nd

Milwaukee gets: Bledsoe, Ajinca

We get: Chandler, Dudley

Quote Originally Posted by HoustonPelicans View Post
    What about this deal?
    http://www.espn.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=ya6cwkjc

Phoenix gets: Brogdon, Monroe, Asik, Moore, NO protected 1st, MIL 2nd

We get: Chandler, Dudley
    Hmm, Moore has been pretty good and not sure how much game Dudley has left, and he's probably best as a stretch 4 now and we already have Cunningham in that role. Think Asik is staying until at least February to see if they can get hi contract off the cap via medical retirement.

Also, Bucks looking to keep Brogdon:

Well phoenix has come out and wants chandler attached to what ever deal for Bledsoe

Sent from my SM-S903VL using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Rheem654 View Post
    Hmm, Moore has been pretty good and not sure how much game Dudley has left, and he's probably best as a stretch 4 now and we already have Cunningham in that role. Think Asik is staying until at least February to see if they can get hi contract off the cap via medical retirement.

Also, Bucks looking to keep Brogdon:

Fully agree on Moore, we can not trade him period. Don't know what I was thinking.
    What about

Phoenix gets: Jabarri Parker, Greg Monroe, Asik, and pels 1st

We get: Chandler

Thread Information