Pelicans Report

Thread: Media hyping Borrego for Lakers job

NBA Media hyping Borrego for Lakers job

Apparently Davis likes him. He has possibly won approval from the King too. Media hype for James Borrego for Lakers job now.

We let Chris Finch walk. How is that going?

Should have fired Allen and brought Payton back when he was ready to coach again as well. Lol

Quote Originally Posted by P_B_&_G View Post
    Should have fired Allen and brought Payton back when he was ready to coach again as well. Lol
    That could still happen.

Quote Originally Posted by 13 - 3 View Post
    That could still happen.
    Don't get my hopes up. We can shoot Drew up with some stem cells or something too!

The Voice of Reason Contributor RaisingTheBar's Avatar
    Payton didn’t want “a break” from coaching, he didn’t want to coach in New Orleans any longer.

Quote Originally Posted by RaisingTheBar View Post
    Payton didn’t want “a break” from coaching, he didn’t want to coach in New Orleans any longer.
    Then why did he sign a contract just before he left? I remember reading an interview with him and he said he stepped away because he was burnt out on dealing with the NFL. He felt like they were continually trying to punish him after the bounty gate fiasco. So he wanted some time away. He hoped he could have came back to the Saints but they had understanbly moved on.

I'm sticking with this story because it sounds good. Best coach the Saints will probably ever have.

If the Lakers take the longview, I think they will go with Atkinson. Given that he's an assistant coach with the French NT, they'll have a direct line with Wemby and others french prospects like Sarr or Risacher in order to funnel them to LA once they finish their rookie contract.

They just need their current core to endorse him and it's a done deal IMO. Now his stint with Durant and Kyrie might deeply hurt in that regard.

My concern is more that Borrego leaves to be on JJ's staff. Seems JJ is the leader in the clubhouse.

Quote Originally Posted by Blattman View Post
    If the Lakers take the longview, I think they will go with Atkinson. Given that he's an assistant coach with the French NT, they'll have a direct line with Wemby and others french prospects like Sarr or Risacher in order to funnel them to LA once they finish their rookie contract.

They just need their current core to endorse him and it's a done deal IMO. Now his stint with Durant and Kyrie might deeply hurt in that regard.
    Taking the longview has certainly been a hallmark of both the Lakers and Lebron so it seems like this is destined to happen!

The Voice of Reason Contributor RaisingTheBar's Avatar
    Then why did he sign a contract just before he left? I remember reading an interview with him and he said he stepped away because he was burnt out on dealing with the NFL. He felt like they were continually trying to punish him after the bounty gate fiasco. So he wanted some time away. He hoped he could have came back to the Saints but they had understanbly moved on.

I'm sticking with this story because it sounds good. Best coach the Saints will probably ever have.
    Not really sure what you mean by right before. He signed his last deal in 2019. And he coached that year, 2020, and 2021 before “retiring”. Not going to regurgitate rumors but if you look hard enough sure you can find why he may have wanted to leave New Orleans.

Thread Information