Pelicans Report

Page 16 of 17 FirstFirst ... 6 12 13 14 15 16 17 LastLast

Thread: 2024 Offseason Thread

The Voice of Reason Contributor RaisingTheBar's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by hornetsrebirth View Post
    How does swapping KAT for CJ help with that?
    KAT is under contract at a higher rate for 3 more years plus and additional 1 in a player option which he’s almost certain to exercise. CJ only has 2 years left on his deal. I wouldn’t want KAT though, although I don’t think he’s a bad fit with Zion, he doesn’t have the mentality we should be looking for.

Quote Originally Posted by RaisingTheBar View Post
    KAT is under contract at a higher rate for 3 more years plus and additional 1 in a player option which he’s almost certain to exercise. CJ only has 2 years left on his deal. I wouldn’t want KAT though, although I don’t think he’s a bad fit with Zion, he doesn’t have the mentality we should be looking for.
    Forget KAT I want Naj Reed

I want a defense that will hold the Nuggets to under 90 points in Denver.

I've seen a few people mention KAT but I don't understand why he would be available considering how integral he has been to their success. I'd expect his team to consider him off limits.
    He wouldn't. you do not get rid of a key member of a WC Finals team.

Tim Connelly and Dell Demps ( Both had roles in New Orleans Hornets front office ) not moving KAT or Edwards. Keep dreaming. Maybe Rudy if you really want that.

Shout out Herb for First Team All Defense.

Massively deserved.
    Basketball.

Name one team currently in the playoffs that does NOT have a superstar with a "dog in them" attitude at the guard position....

I'll wait.

This is why this offseason is too important and why we need a legit super start guard to pair next to Z, Trey, and Herb.

They cannot screw this up.

Quote Originally Posted by Pelicanidae View Post

Shout out Herb for First Team All Defense.

Massively deserved.
    Herb deserves it. Wembanyama does not.

Quote Originally Posted by Pelifan View Post
    Herb deserves it. Wembanyama does not.
    What? Wemby should have been DPOY.

Quote Originally Posted by PELICANSFAN View Post
    What? Wemby should have been DPOY.
    DPOY on the 22nd ranked defense? He'll win multiple eventually but behind the gaudy numbers there were still a lot of rookie mistakes on that end. The on off is also inflated due to SA complete lack of any bigmen,

Quote Originally Posted by Pelifan View Post
    DPOY on the 22nd ranked defense? He'll win multiple eventually but behind the gaudy numbers there were still a lot of rookie mistakes on that end. The on off is also inflated due to SA complete lack of any bigmen,
    It's an individual award, not a team award.

Quote Originally Posted by WhyHornetsWhy View Post
    Name one team currently in the playoffs that does NOT have a superstar with a "dog in them" attitude at the guard position....

I'll wait.

This is why this offseason is too important and why we need a legit super start guard to pair next to Z, Trey, and Herb.

They cannot screw this up.

not many teams EVER to advance very far with guards like ours

I truly believe if this team misses out on a superstar point guard like Donavan Mitchell, this franchise window with Zion will be over.

I really do not think any other player worth trading for (maybe Trae Young) will cause this team to make a huge leap and jump into a championship contending team

Quote Originally Posted by fullcourtpress View Post
    not many teams EVER to advance very far with guards like ours
    Thank you. My point exactly.

You need a super star guard to make it far in this age of the NBA…unless you have a top 5 player in the NBA on your team (like Jokic)

Not a surprise, I think most people expected this to be the choice (defer the pick for a year where the Lakers will hopefully be worse, and 2025 is a stronger draft towards the top). But there you go.

I get ‘25 draft is supposed to be stronger. But do we really anticipate lakers to not retain lebron and to not make a big move to finish better than at season?

Pacers are interested in Ingram? Okay who do we want off Pacers team ? HailBurton ? Turner?

https://www.barstoolsports.com/blog/...ing-to-give-up

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!!
    Quote Originally Posted by 13 - 3 View Post
    Pacers are interested in Ingram? Okay who do we want off Pacers team ? HailBurton ? Turner?

https://www.barstoolsports.com/blog/...ing-to-give-up
    Yes Turner all day. Big man who can play defense in the paint and shoot from the perimeter is exactly what the team wants from the 5.

I get ‘25 draft is supposed to be stronger. But do we really anticipate lakers to not retain lebron and to not make a big move to finish better than at season?
    I don't think it really matters. Even if they retain Lebron, he's not taking pennies and they don't a ton of tradeable assets right now (some, but not enough to land a huge needle-mover, imo). So if all it results in is us getting the same pick (say, 17th-20th) in a better draft, that's still a win.

But more importantly, the pick also holds more trade value now. Everyone knows this draft isn't great. It has talent in it, sure, every draft does, but there isn't much value to the 17th pick in this draft.

But a pick in the 2025 draft could be anything. Could even be a lottery pick, given that Lebron's team have signaled that he may go into FA (note: the draft happens before FA, so we can trade this pick before his decision is made). So it's a much more valuable potential trade asset than 17th in 2024.

Yes Turner all day. Big man who can play defense in the paint and shoot from the perimeter is exactly what the team wants from the 5.
    The entire team would need to become much more dedicated rebounders. That's true of Zion, Herb, and Trey collectively, let alone the bench. Turner is great at some stuff but he is a very mid rebounder for a C, and always has been. For comparison, his 22.9% DREB this year is his career high but its worse than every Jonas season other than his rookie year. The last time Jonas had a DREB% under 30% was 2016-17.

Even with Jonas, we were only 13th in the NBA. Losing him and replacing him at C with a much worse rebounder, everyone would have to up their game unless we wanted to drop into the bottom 10.

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!!
    The entire team would need to become much more dedicated rebounders. That's true of Zion, Herb, and Trey collectively, let alone the bench. Turner is great at some stuff but he is a very mid rebounder for a C, and always has been. For comparison, his 22.9% DREB this year is his career high but its worse than every Jonas season other than his rookie year. The last time Jonas had a DREB% under 30% was 2016-17.

Even with Jonas, we were only 13th in the NBA. Losing him and replacing him at C with a much worse rebounder, everyone would have to up their game unless we wanted to drop into the bottom 10.
    Jonas was an excellent rebounder but they obviously don't want that kind of center

Snarky Optimistic Guy msusousaphone's Avatar
    Deferring the Lakers' pick seems to make more sense for us as well without even considering strength of draft and prognosticating where the Lakers will rank....we have more young talent than can currently get meaningful minutes AND....I just don't know how long this current core stays together. It feels like the next disappointing season is it, right? Even if it's another season where we look great but injuries derail us, it seems like it's "do or die". So even if that pick ends up being an equivalent or even lesser player in next year's draft, it's better to save it as an arrow for a new regime to use to build a future as opposed to drafting a player now that will never get adequate time and would get neglected because he was picked by the old regime.
    BI, Zion, and CJ had a net rating of +3 when on the court together. BI and Zion had a +13.4, BI and CJ had a +13.2, Zion and CJ was just +5.4.

BI and Zion worked. BI and CJ worked. It was CJ and Zion and all three together that didn't work.

I don't think it really matters. Even if they retain Lebron, he's not taking pennies and they don't a ton of tradeable assets right now (some, but not enough to land a huge needle-mover, imo). So if all it results in is us getting the same pick (say, 17th-20th) in a better draft, that's still a win.

But more importantly, the pick also holds more trade value now. Everyone knows this draft isn't great. It has talent in it, sure, every draft does, but there isn't much value to the 17th pick in this draft.

But a pick in the 2025 draft could be anything. Could even be a lottery pick, given that Lebron's team have signaled that he may go into FA (note: the draft happens before FA, so we can trade this pick before his decision is made). So it's a much more valuable potential trade asset than 17th in 2024.
    Fair enough. I just see things like how they got Rui for basically nothing and I see rumors like Chicago lowering their asking price for Lavine and I worry. But I do understand the point that next years draft is supposedly way better.

Fair enough. I just see things like how they got Rui for basically nothing and I see rumors like Chicago lowering their asking price for Lavine and I worry. But I do understand the point that next years draft is supposedly way better.
    This is one of the things that makes me think the league is fixed. You regularly see guys traded to the Lakers below market value. The question is why?

Thread Information