Pelicans Report

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: Gentry has lost this team...

Quote Originally Posted by bahmamamba View Post
    This is what he said about Stackhouse and Hammond:

"Stack would want to push the pace, shoot a lot of 3s and likes to develop as well. He is also a tough SOB and would demand his teams play that way as well

As for Hammond, I wouldn't pretend to know and nobody else should either. The only time we ever really saw her coach is at Summer League. Is she smart? Yes. Does she know the game? Of course.

But her qualifications on paper are nothing in comparison to even the other men she shares a bench with in San Antonio. You would be taking a total shot in the dark with little or nothing of substance to back up your decision."

Idk about anyone else but that Stackhouse info Def has me excited about the possibility js

Sent from my SM-S903VL using Tapatalk
    MM with the standard high quality chatter that means very little. ''Stack would want to push the pace, shoot a lot of threes'' yeah, like 90% of coaches in 2019. ''He is also a tough SOB and would demand his teams play that way as well'', sure, but wouldn't every coach, if asked, say they demand a team to play with grit and toughness? Yeah, Stackhouse has been an assistant coach on the Grizz, who you could say would lend credence to that claim, but then why doesn't Hammon being an assistant for San Antonio convey special qualities on to her?

''As for Hammon*, I wouldn't pretend to know, and nobody else should either''. Why? We've seen Stackhouse coach G League, we've seen Hammon coach Summer League. Neither has coached as a head coach on an NBA level. Both have played professionally in the highest leagues to which they have access, and both have been All-Stars (Hammon x6, Stack x2). Why can we pretend to know what Stack would be like as a head coach, but we can't make any such claims for Hammon?

''Her qualifications on paper are nothing in comparison to even the other men she shares a bench wtih in San Antonio.''

Her qualifications on paper are superior to what Jason Kidd, Brad Stevens, Erik Spoelstra, Alvin Gentry, etc etc etc, had before their got just given NBA head coach jobs, so who cares? Let's not pretend that NBA head coaches get hired based on big fat resumes filled with hundreds of games worth of HC experience, and that's that. Cause that's just not true. Head coaches get hired for less NBA experience than Hammon has, and sometimes they end up being very good at their jobs (Spo, Stevens).
    Basketball.

Quote Originally Posted by Pelicanidae View Post
    MM with the standard high quality chatter that means very little. ''Stack would want to push the pace, shoot a lot of threes'' yeah, like 90% of coaches in 2019. ''He is also a tough SOB and would demand his teams play that way as well'', sure, but wouldn't every coach, if asked, say they demand a team to play with grit and toughness? Yeah, Stackhouse has been an assistant coach on the Grizz, who you could say would lend credence to that claim, but then why doesn't Hammon being an assistant for San Antonio convey special qualities on to her?

''As for Hammon*, I wouldn't pretend to know, and nobody else should either''. Why? We've seen Stackhouse coach G League, we've seen Hammon coach Summer League. Neither has coached as a head coach on an NBA level. Both have played professionally in the highest leagues to which they have access, and both have been All-Stars (Hammon x6, Stack x2). Why can we pretend to know what Stack would be like as a head coach, but we can't make any such claims for Hammon?

''Her qualifications on paper are nothing in comparison to even the other men she shares a bench wtih in San Antonio.''

Her qualifications on paper are superior to what Jason Kidd, Brad Stevens, Erik Spoelstra, Alvin Gentry, etc etc etc, had before their got just given NBA head coach jobs, so who cares? Let's not pretend that NBA head coaches get hired based on big fat resumes filled with hundreds of games worth of HC experience, and that's that. Cause that's just not true. Head coaches get hired for less NBA experience than Hammon has, and sometimes they end up being very good at their jobs (Spo, Stevens).
    look man I like her too no need to get defensive about her but he's not wrong on the shot in the dark think it be kind of like hiring monty again we have no idea and the Stackhouse thing actually I figured he'd be a guy who'd want a slower pace and defense so that was news to me and I'll give you kidd but Stevens did it at Butler so that's not nothing come on but I do think he's slightly over rated

look man I like her too no need to get defensive about her but he's not wrong on the shot in the dark think it be kind of like hiring monty again we have no idea and the Stackhouse thing actually I figured he'd be a guy who'd want a slower pace and defense so that was news to me and I'll give you kidd but Stevens did it at Butler so that's not nothing come on but I do think he's slightly over rated

I'm not being defensive. If people don't want to hire Hammon, that's fine. Pelicansfan earlier threw up Ettore Messina and he's definitely a guy I can see having a strong argument over Hammon. It's not that.

It's that people should judge Hammon on the same basis they would judge any other coach candidate. Maybe it is a shot in the dark hiring her. Okay. Why isn't it a shot in the dark to hire Stackhouse? He has no NBA head coach experience either. He has LESS NBA assistant coaching experience than her. So why does MM describe Stack as a ''tough SOB'' who would want to run and gun, but describes her as a shot in the dark with poor on-paper qualifications?

When I include Stevens, what I mean is that he had zero NBA coaching experience. Yes, he had coached at a college level before, but we all know that being a good college coach means nothing about your ability to coach at an NBA level (Calipari's 72-112 record tells us that much).

I'm not being defensive. If people don't want to hire Hammon, that's fine. Pelicansfan earlier threw up Ettore Messina and he's definitely a guy I can see having a strong argument over Hammon. It's not that.

It's that people should judge Hammon on the same basis they would judge any other coach candidate. Maybe it is a shot in the dark hiring her. Okay. Why isn't it a shot in the dark to hire Stackhouse? He has no NBA head coach experience either. He has LESS NBA assistant coaching experience than her. So why does MM describe Stack as a ''tough SOB'' who would want to run and gun, but describes her as a shot in the dark with poor on-paper qualifications?

When I include Stevens, what I mean is that he had zero NBA coaching experience. Yes, he had coached at a college level before, but we all know that being a good college coach means nothing about your ability to coach at an NBA level (Calipari's 72-112 record tells us that much).
    sure college coaches don't always pan put but Stevens still has more experience then her bc he has been a head coach and thats all I'm gonna talk about her bc it sounds like you wanna get into the whole bc she's woman is the reason thing lol

sure college coaches don't always pan put but Stevens still has more experience then her bc he has been a head coach and thats all I'm gonna talk about her bc it sounds like you wanna get into the whole bc she's woman is the reason thing lol

Stevens has been a head coach NOW, sure. He hadn't been when he had been hired. He had only been a college coach. Which is no indicator of NBA coaching ability whatsoever.

And yeah, I'll just clarify, not trying to hide anything: I do think that the reason some people are holding her to a higher standard than they hold, say, Jason Kidd or Erik Spoelstra, is because she's a woman. I do think some people are letting that cloud their thought process.

Stevens has been a head coach NOW, sure. He hadn't been when he had been hired. He had only been a college coach. Which is no indicator of NBA coaching ability whatsoever.

And yeah, I'll just clarify, not trying to hide anything: I do think that the reason some people are holding her to a higher standard than they hold, say, Jason Kidd or Erik Spoelstra, is because she's a woman. I do think some people are letting that cloud their thought process.
    and I get that and you're right there probably are a couple but see that where I think the problem lies you have to just look at her as a coach period like me personally I like her but I also think she needs one more year I think se has it what ever it is lol but I also have no idea about her philosophy is ya now? and as much as we all wanna rag on the dude MM knows what he's talking about and if he doesn't know much about her whole thing that gives me a slight pause ya know? and the things he said about Stackhouse has me excited mostly for the devolpment side and tough SOB thing which says to me hell hold players responsible and sure most coaches say these thing even gentry but most also Don follow through especially for star players

and I get that and you're right there probably are a couple but see that where I think the problem lies you have to just look at her as a coach period like me personally I like her but I also think she needs one more year I think se has it what ever it is lol but I also have no idea about her philosophy is ya now? and as much as we all wanna rag on the dude MM knows what he's talking about and if he doesn't know much about her whole thing that gives me a slight pause ya know? and the things he said about Stackhouse has me excited mostly for the devolpment side and tough SOB thing which says to me hell hold players responsible and sure most coaches say these thing even gentry but most also Don follow through especially for star players

For me, I've seen enough of her that I'd be willing to take a chance on her. I watched her coach Summer League, and she's got her stuff down. I can't say whether Stackhouse would be a good coach or not because I don't watch the G League. Maybe he would be a legitimately great coach, it's possible. I just wish people would have the respect to talk about Hammon in the same way as they talk about other coaching candidates. She's done her time, she's a professional, and she deserves to be talked about like one rather than as some mysterious anomaly.

Like, if you think she needs more time, then that's cool. You're totally allowed to think that 5 years as an assistant isn't enough, I can understand that. But then you've gotta say the same for Stack, who's had less experience as an assistant at the NBA level than she has. Fair is fair.

I don't actually think MM knows what he's talking about, just as an aside. At least, not more than the average good forum poster. I'd trust pretty much all the other Pels writers and insiders before I'd trust MM.

For me, I've seen enough of her that I'd be willing to take a chance on her. I watched her coach Summer League, and she's got her stuff down. I can't say whether Stackhouse would be a good coach or not because I don't watch the G League. Maybe he would be a legitimately great coach, it's possible. I just wish people would have the respect to talk about Hammon in the same way as they talk about other coaching candidates. She's done her time, she's a professional, and she deserves to be talked about like one rather than as some mysterious anomaly.

Like, if you think she needs more time, then that's cool. You're totally allowed to think that 5 years as an assistant isn't enough, I can understand that. But then you've gotta say the same for Stack, who's had less experience as an assistant at the NBA level than she has. Fair is fair.

I don't actually think MM knows what he's talking about, just as an aside. At least, not more than the average good forum poster. I'd trust pretty much all the other Pels writers and insiders before I'd trust MM.
    I mean he's gotten everything right 5he entire ad thing and how it's all gonna go down I mean he has actual sources we don't

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! Tinman's Avatar

I'm not sold 1 way or the other on her coaching ability, BuT, it would be the greatest PR move in N.O. Sports History. Every Major network will have it on the news for continuing news cycles. The publicity would be enormous.
    ABC & ESPN are trying to sell hard the WNBA & other female sports .
    The Free Pub will be enormous.

I mean he's gotten everything right 5he entire ad thing and how it's all gonna go down I mean he has actual sources we don't

Has he? Could you point me to the tweets or to the article or the podcast appearance or anywhere where MM said, in advance, anything beyond just speculation? If I recall correctly, MM was saying AD demanding a trade was imminent... YEARS ago.

If I predict something in 2014, and I say it's gonna happen soon, and then 5 years later it happens, did I predct that? Did I get it right? Or did I just finally get lucky after years of being wrong?

Also, I don't really care for the ''he has actual sources'' argument. We have no way of knowing that, because he obviously can't tell us who those sources are. So it's impossible for us to actually know if he does. The only way we can trust that he does, is if he is right about things, regularly, that he wouldn't be able to know unless he had sources.

Is he? No. He's not.

Quote Originally Posted by Tinman View Post
    I'm not sold 1 way or the other on her coaching ability, BuT, it would be the greatest PR move in N.O. Sports History. Every Major network will have it on the news for continuing news cycles. The publicity would be enormous.
    ABC & ESPN are trying to sell hard the WNBA & other female sports .
    The Free Pub will be enormous.
    Yeah, I do agree that that would be a good non-basketball reason to be interested in her. The publicity would be big, especially because we have a female owner too.

Has he? Could you point me to the tweets or to the article or the podcast appearance or anywhere where MM said, in advance, anything beyond just speculation? If I recall correctly, MM was saying AD demanding a trade was imminent... YEARS ago.

If I predict something in 2014, and I say it's gonna happen soon, and then 5 years later it happens, did I predct that? Did I get it right? Or did I just finally get lucky after years of being wrong?

Also, I don't really care for the ''he has actual sources'' argument. We have no way of knowing that, because he obviously can't tell us who those sources are. So it's impossible for us to actually know if he does. The only way we can trust that he does, is if he is right about things, regularly, that he wouldn't be able to know unless he had sources.

Is he? No. He's not.
    lol yeah go look at the dates and times before ******** happened and when ******** was happening I mean look you can feel some type of way or whatever about a person but give them their due when it's deserved other wise you're just being petty to be petty period.

lol yeah go look at the dates and times before ******** happened and when ******** was happening I mean look you can feel some type of way or whatever about a person but give them their due when it's deserved other wise you're just being petty to be petty period.

So you can't point me to those articles or tweets or podcasts, is what I'm getting?

Okay. Watch: at some point, Alvin Gentry won't be the coach of this team anymore. Sources told me.

One day, that'll happen, and I'll have a 100% hit rating on my predictions.

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelMcNamara View Post
    Don't be mad at them for being stuck on this board that is like four days behind. They probably wouldn't have liked to be on the other board where everyone was days ahead because of me
    Speak of the Devil, eh?

So you can't point me to those articles or tweets or podcasts, is what I'm getting?

Okay. Watch: at some point, Alvin Gentry won't be the coach of this team anymore. Sources told me.

One day, that'll happen, and I'll have a 100% hit rating on my predictions.
    or you can easily go to his Twitter to see and no I can't remember off of the top of my head the tweets Im sorry? like they're all right there to read i mean no offense that type of crap let's me knw you don't care if he's right or wrong personally I dnt give a ******** about his personality as long as he gives me info and he has

or you can easily go to his Twitter to see and no I can't remember off of the top of my head the tweets Im sorry? like they're all right there to read i mean no offense that type of crap let's me knw you don't care if he's right or wrong personally I dnt give a ******** about his personality as long as he gives me info and he has

I can easily go on his twitter and see very little that just any fan couldn't write. Some of it is good, legitimate observation (2021 pick probably won't be that great from Memphis. I said that like 10 days ago to Tinman on here, and I'm just a dude on a forum), some of it is just personal opinion (He likes Brandon Clarke, good for him), and some of it is nonsense (M Night Shyamalan stared at Lebron during a game once).

And some of it is just pretty pathetic. The whole ''Oh woe is me, I just WISH I could stop talking about the Pels, but then you poor misinformed souls would have nothing!'' act legitimately makes me cringe. Imagine being an adult and pulling that.

I can easily go on his twitter and see very little that just any fan couldn't write. Some of it is good, legitimate observation (2021 pick probably won't be that great from Memphis. I said that like 10 days ago to Tinman on here, and I'm just a dude on a forum), some of it is just personal opinion (He likes Brandon Clarke, good for him), and some of it is nonsense (M Night Shyamalan stared at Lebron during a game once).

And some of it is just pretty pathetic. The whole ''Oh woe is me, I just WISH I could stop talking about the Pels, but then you poor misinformed souls would have nothing!'' act legitimately makes me cringe. Imagine being an adult and pulling that.
    so basically you just read the recent few hours of the entire thing? you didn't go further to actually see ? I mean look man do you I'm not trying to convince you if you wanna go off your own ******** go ahead I'm not changing your mind and your not changing mine lol

so basically you just read the recent few hours of the entire thing? you didn't go further to actually see ? I mean look man do you I'm not trying to convince you if you wanna go off your own ******** go ahead I'm not changing your mind and your not changing mine lol

ya got me, I didn't read like, 300 tweets. I've read his twitter before though and its usually pretty similar stuff.

Anyway, you like him, you believe him, good for you. Have fun with that.

ya got me, I didn't read like, 300 tweets. I've read his twitter before though and its usually pretty similar stuff.

Anyway, you like him, you believe him, good for you. Have fun with that.
    Stop misrepresenting things I never said I like him I said and i mean no offense to him I dnt care about his personality bc I dnt knw him and it's not 300 tweets just keep going until you get to when all of this bs started I mean look dude if you don't want to then ypu don't want to don't be hyperbolic about though like I'm not trying to be an ************** but you're just coming off as if the dude is trump or something there literally nothing wrong with you if you agree with him on a certain thing unless you're jist trying to please ppl

Speak of the Devil, eh?
    You are welcome!

1 playoff appearance in 4 years, and that playoff appearance fueled by AD playing at world beating levels combined with Nikola Mirotic undergoing a career hot-stretch from deep.

He's been a head coach for a total 16 seasons. He has made the playoffs a total 3 times. Sometimes that's been his fault, sometimes not, but are we really going to pretend like he's built a bulletproof case for staying?
    There is certainly a case to be made to improve our coaching, I'm not pretending the case to fire him is bulletproof as other are. There are better coaches, sure, a lot of worse ones too.

If they are going to do it, do it now. Demps and Gentry. Sit AD, give Finch the keys, see what sparks. Get a GM now, decide on coaching in the offseason. Let AD sit the rest of the year knowing he destroyed a team and cost two people their jobs.

Also to whoever said Gentry had 4 years to turn us into the Warriors... this is Kerr... unattainable, practically miraculous coaching by a former GM.

Golden State 2014–15 82 67 15 .817 1st in Pacific 21 16 5 .762 Won NBA Championship
    Golden State 2015–16 82 73 9 .890 1st in Pacific 24 15 9 .625 Lost in NBA Finals
    Golden State 2016–17 82 67 15 .817 1st in Pacific 17 16 1 .941 Won NBA Championship
    Golden State 2017–18 82 58 24 .707 1st in Pacific 21 16 5 .762 Won NBA Championship
    Career 328 265 63 .808 83 63 20 .759

Get a better crack pipe

The Franchise Contributor luigi modelo's Avatar

I'm with you on this. Dude is legit

Quote Originally Posted by luigi modelo View Post
    I'm with you on this. Dude is legit
    and it shouldn't matter what his whole thing is about if he's right he's right pretty simple in mu eyes

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! Tinman's Avatar
    no that's champ who wants to be him and talks all kinds of non sense lo

MM was the same guy that told us the Holiday Brothers Package was a done deal & they only way Jrue would sign for said amount , ,with $ figures and everything .
    He obviously understands the intricacies of the NBA, but he certainly doesn't have a mole.
    That person (mole) would not take a chance & leak to some blogger in Utah just for blips & giggles, knowing that said blogger is gonna blab all over the place about it.
    That's a bit far fetched. MM's been incorrect too many times for that to be the case.
    He is, however smart enough to present very logical & lucid quasi predictions, usually more than 1,for coverage, to have folks believing that he has a GUY.
    Yep, MM is a very smart Basketball guy, but works too hard to make sure every peon believes his entire schtick.

On the other hand, MM certainly isn't Champ, aka Astro, aka 13.
    1) MM, albeit very arrogant, egomaniacal, condescending, pompous & several other tautologies, he's very intelligent & informative !
    2) He doesn't need burner accts, because he doesn't care what anyone thinks anyway.
    So, the aka triplets have all of MM self centers & negative traits, but that's about it .Cogent is not a word I would use to describe the aka triplets.

Thread Information