Pelicans Report

Page 31 of 48 FirstFirst ... 21 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 41 ... LastLast

Thread: NBA Free Agency

I think we are who we are. we may offer that kid lighting up the summer league a deal. unless a trade opportunity of true value appears we have our middling playoff team. I still think we are better starting this season than we finished last but the west is effing brutal. I want leonard to go to the east. please, dear god, go to the east.

We ran with the Warriors. We got screwed out of a few games. Got outright blown out of one and blew them out of another. Add JR to that and the series would be very interesting. I don't think Boogie gives them anything. He is an amazing player but in our systems he just doesn't reach his full potential and with his injury he won't even be full. So the kicker is.....can we replace Rondo? If you think yes, then despite the talking heads you should actually feel like we can contend this season.

But I still want the basketball gods bestow us with an elite SF.

Quote Originally Posted by msusousaphone View Post
    You and me both
    Basketball.

Quote Originally Posted by msusousaphone View Post
    I would settle for average starting caliber at this point.

Quote Originally Posted by AUSSIE_PELICAN View Post
    Why would the Cavs entertain a sign and trade for Hill?
    A crap player and a top 20 pick for a player that may help them re-build?

Come on man....you know that's not going to happen now with Lebron gone.
    Why would the Bulls give us Mirotic for a 1st round pick and Asik who does nothing? Hill is atleast a solid players instead of nothing in Asik. The Cavs are a rebuilding team and get an additional 1st round pick. Hood has value but nowhere near where it was mostly do to how bad his relationship turned out with the Cavs. Very possible he wants out and won’t even resign with them. They already tanked his value once so why would he trust them again in another contract year? If I’m in their situation I would absolutely do that deal with maybe a 2nd thrown in. Gotta love when people act like a trade isn’t possible or just wont happen when they do all the time. I can go point out trade after trade for players equal or better then Hood getting moved for peanuts.

Quote Originally Posted by P_B_&_G View Post
    I would settle for average starting caliber at this point.
    We have an average starting caliber in Hill. The problem is to be a serious contender we need someone who is a legit threat offensively while being an average to good defender. We need a wing that can create his own shot when needed and score the ball. Hill for the most part needs everything created for him offensively but is a solid all around player. I want someone with upside like when we went after and got Jrue.

Quote Originally Posted by GuardianAngel25 View Post
    We have an average starting caliber in Hill. The problem is to be a serious contender we need someone who is a legit threat offensively while being an average to good defender. We need a wing that can create his own shot when needed and score the ball. Hill for the most part needs everything created for him offensively but is a solid all around player. I want someone with upside like when we went after and got Jrue.
    I don't think Hill is starting caliber. He should be a bench guy at best. His defense is not good enough to overshadow his lack of offense. He has good games here and there offensively but he is just not consistent enough to be a legit starter.

Here is a fun list.

https://www.denverstiffs.com/2017/7/...-kawhi-leonard

Tier 7: Below average reserves and end-of-bench guys

42. Brandon Ingram - Los Angeles Lakers

43. Solomon Hill - New Orleans Pelicans

44. Richard Jefferson - Cleveland Cavaliers

45. Timothe Luwawu-Cabarrot - Philadelphia 76ers

46. Doug McDermott - Oklahoma City Thunder

47. Luol Deng - Los Angeles Lakers

48. Mindaugas Kuzminskas - New York Knicks

49. Kelly Oubre - Washington Wizards

50. Jerami Grant - Oklahoma City Thunder

So yeah, Hill is not an average starting caliber small forward.

Quote Originally Posted by GuardianAngel25 View Post
    Why would the Bulls give us Mirotic for a 1st round pick and Asik who does nothing? Hill is atleast a solid players instead of nothing in Asik. The Cavs are a rebuilding team and get an additional 1st round pick. Hood has value but nowhere near where it was mostly do to how bad his relationship turned out with the Cavs. Very possible he wants out and won’t even resign with them. They already tanked his value once so why would he trust them again in another contract year? If I’m in their situation I would absolutely do that deal with maybe a 2nd thrown in. Gotta love when people act like a trade isn’t possible or just wont happen when they do all the time. I can go point out trade after trade for players equal or better then Hood getting moved for peanuts.
    Because Mirotic said he wanted out due to the fight he had with his team mate. Hood had his contract picked up so unless a team offers more he will be in Cleveland.

The Pelicans can't make an offer higher and Hood isn't a big enough name in Cleveland to have an affect in the locker room.

Look I hope you are right, but I think Cleveland can get better offers than bloody Solomon Hill.

Oh yeah and Asik will be a trade asset come Feb as he has a large non guaranteed contract in 2019/20. Largely why Chicago made this move in the first place.

They could potentially get two first round picks for just renting Asik and letting a 27 year old Mirotic go who wasn't in their long term goals as they already have Portis.
    Last edited by AUSSIE_PELICAN; 07-09-2018 at 05:16 AM.

I don't think Hill is starting caliber. He should be a bench guy at best. His defense is not good enough to overshadow his lack of offense. He has good games here and there offensively but he is just not consistent enough to be a legit starter.

Here is a fun list.

https://www.denverstiffs.com/2017/7/...-kawhi-leonard

Tier 7: Below average reserves and end-of-bench guys

42. Brandon Ingram - Los Angeles Lakers

43. Solomon Hill - New Orleans Pelicans

44. Richard Jefferson - Cleveland Cavaliers

45. Timothe Luwawu-Cabarrot - Philadelphia 76ers

46. Doug McDermott - Oklahoma City Thunder

47. Luol Deng - Los Angeles Lakers

48. Mindaugas Kuzminskas - New York Knicks

49. Kelly Oubre - Washington Wizards

50. Jerami Grant - Oklahoma City Thunder

So yeah, Hill is not an average starting caliber small forward.
    I mean, to be fair, Hill is still a bit of a mystery. He barely played last season so it's hard to judge him on a handful of games coming off a year away with rough conditioning.

I think we all agree that he could be upgraded. But there is still a not so small chance that he is a very serviceable starting SF next season with an entire off season under his belt. He's young, a plus defender with a decent 3 pt shot that could stand to be more consistent. He'll never be an all-star and doesn't create his own shot but neither do a lot of these lesser names everyone has been throwing around.

We'll see but the grass is not always greener....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think Hill is in a weird sort of spot. The season before last when he was healthy, he was inconsistent but when he was on he was a smart cutter, decent passer, strong shooter, and excellent defender. When he was off, he was missing defensive rotations, and flanking threes off the side of the backboard. If he were to become more consistent, then I'd be perfectly fine with him starting for us. Not thrilled obviously, I'd prefer better, but I 2ouldnt be upset.

Personally, if we had a PG like Kemba Walker, or one that can score at will from the perimeter, we can live with Solo at SF in rotations.
    Then you have 2 guards that can score on anyone along with AD and Randle/Niko who can score.

The problem we run into is when Payton, Hill and Moore will be on the floor the same time it limits our scoring. This is where Rondo hurt us last year and we are hoping it won't be the same with EP.

To me, its either or, go get a stud PG or figure out how to trade Solo and whatever to get an elite wing. 5 would be nice but I'll take 4 on the floor.

But in saying that, dollars have to make sense which would mean solo would probably go anyway in a deal for an elite player.

No one is taking Solo unless we add at least a 1st

Pg Payton/frank
    Sg Jrue/Clark
    SF Nico/Moore/Miller
    PF AD/hill/diallo
    C Julius/okafor

6th man is Moore

Better than last season in almost every way

I think we will pick up a decent SF (not elite) and a vet PG at vet min for depth in case of injuries. Gentry will try Hill/FA or Trade Player/Miller all at SF until one sticks and starts playing well. If they all fail then he will go back to putting Moore at SF.

Quote Originally Posted by AusPel View Post
    No one is taking Solo unless we add at least a 1st
    Schroder's deal is longer and bigger and he is facing felony charges. His contract is multiple times worse than Hill. Atlanta would have to give up a lot for us to take hik even trading Hill for him.

Did Wilson Chandler just get traded to the Lakers? Dang

Quote Originally Posted by DroopyDawg View Post
    Did Wilson Chandler just get traded to the Lakers? Dang
    I haven’t seen that reported anywhere.
    If you Jimmer it, they will come.

Quote Originally Posted by UNO Gracias View Post
    I haven’t seen that reported anywhere.
    Nah he didn't.He's in Philly now. False report I got.

Quote Originally Posted by Saints#34 View Post
    I mean, to be fair, Hill is still a bit of a mystery. He barely played last season so it's hard to judge him on a handful of games coming off a year away with rough conditioning.

I think we all agree that he could be upgraded. But there is still a not so small chance that he is a very serviceable starting SF next season with an entire off season under his belt. He's young, a plus defender with a decent 3 pt shot that could stand to be more consistent. He'll never be an all-star and doesn't create his own shot but neither do a lot of these lesser names everyone has been throwing around.

voice of reason

The Franchise
    Hood's cap hold is 7.1 million. I don't know what contracts are going to be thrown at him, but to help them with their cap we could send Ajinca (and buyout money) and Miller (to fill their bench at SF) for Hood at 8 million per. If you have to go more for Hood money wise, then throw in Liggins and/or Okafor. That could get it up to 11-13 million and the cavs can then cut most of the players we send but I'd keep Miller if I were them.

Quote Originally Posted by tdcreator View Post
    Hood's cap hold is 7.1 million. I don't know what contracts are going to be thrown at him, but to help them with their cap we could send Ajinca (and buyout money) and Miller (to fill their bench at SF) for Hood at 8 million per. If you have to go more for Hood money wise, then throw in Liggins and/or Okafor. That could get it up to 11-13 million and the cavs can then cut most of the players we send but I'd keep Miller if I were them.
    Would you want to pay Hood $11-$13 million a year? Rumors are that the Kings are considering signing him to an offer sheet.

Quote Originally Posted by tdcreator View Post
    I wouldnt send out Miller in any trade.. He offers too much spark with his 3 point shooting off the bench IMO

The ranking were from last year after he played full season. I'm not ready to give up on him and I still think he has potential but I would move on in a heartbeat to get a decent two way player that isn't a liability on either end. They don't need to be great, just average on both sides. As you said, an upgrade.

The ranking were from last year after he played full season. I'm not ready to give up on him and I still think he has potential but I would move on in a heartbeat to get a decent two way player that isn't a liability on either end. They don't need to be great, just average on both sides. As you said, an upgrade.
    Yeah and I'm fine with that, there are better SFs out there and if we can get one, great. But this board has definitely thrown around a lot of very middle tier SF names in an attempt to replace him and I'm not sure theyre all so much definitely better than him that they are worth what we would have to give up. The players who are obvious upgrades appear un-gettable at least in this offseason and the rest of them have plenty of question marks themselves. Like I said, the grass is not always greener.

Yeah and I'm fine with that, there are better SFs out there and if we can get one, great. But this board has definitely thrown around a lot of very middle tier SF names in an attempt to replace him and I'm not sure theyre all so much definitely better than him that they are worth what we would have to give up. The players who are obvious upgrades appear un-gettable at least in this offseason and the rest of them have plenty of question marks themselves. Like I said, the grass is not always greener.
    No way man, we should trade Hill and Ajinca for Kawhi right now! You know the Spurs would love to help out a division opponent... lol

Thread Information