Pelicans Report

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Pelicans interested in Hood?

Rumor Pelicans interested in Hood?

I don’t see him going back to the Cavs. Do you think he will cost more than the MLE?

Good would be sweet but I think he’s going to get overpaid like most wings in FA like Evan Turner, Batum, Bazemore, Allen Crabbe, Tim Hardaway, and our very own Solomon Hill.

Quote Originally Posted by Topdawg26 View Post
    Good would be sweet but I think he’s going to get overpaid like most wings in FA like Evan Turner, Batum, Bazemore, Allen Crabbe, Tim Hardaway, and our very own Solomon Hill.
    I’d contribute to Atlanta’s fire sale by trading Hill, Ajinca, and our 2019 top 10 protected first round pick for Bazemore.

If the Pelicans plan on resigning Cousins, all we'll have is the tax payer MLE to pay both Hood and Rondo, so you'd have to choose most likely unless one is coming for the minimum.

Quote Originally Posted by Darkhorse985 View Post
    I’d contribute to Atlanta’s fire sale by trading Hill, Ajinca, and our 2019 top 10 protected first round pick for Bazemore.
    No thanks. Baze is incredibly expensive and not very good. If you have a first in there you better be getting a longterm piece.

Hood is 6’8” with a 6’8” wingspan. So, he’s limited on defense and wouldn’t solve our issue of guarding larger wings. I’d still like him on the team. Maybe it would be appealing for him to be closer to home (Mississippi).

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! Tinman's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Pelifan View Post
    If the Pelicans plan on resigning Cousins, all we'll have is the tax payer MLE to pay both Hood and Rondo, so you'd have to choose most likely unless one is coming for the minimum.
    How do you know that? There are moves Dell can make to free up $$. Can Move several contracts.Target FA's, sign them & re-sign Boogie after such FA signing.

I would look towards Wayne Ellington or Anthony Tolliver before Bazemore.

Quote Originally Posted by Tinman View Post
    How do you know that? There are moves Dell can make to free up $$. Can Move several contracts.Target FA's, sign them & re-sign Boogie after such FA signing.
    Boogies cap hold doesnt allow us to do that, we would have to renounce his cap hold, which means we renounce his bird rights

Gross. Undersized, overpaid and can't shoot.

Some of the ideas people have on this board...

If he could be added somehow, I'd like to see it, but I don't see how we could unless we have up on Rondo, which I also wouldn't like to see.

His decline in shooting during his tenure with the Cavs can be easily explained: about a week after joining the Cavs, their development coach Phil Handy decided to "tweak" Hood's shot. Why he decided to do this when Hood was shooting 39%, I don't know, but he looked broken for a little while after that. He should be alright now, after being allowed to use his actual form.
    Basketball.

ehh atleast it's some type of news with our name attached lol

Where is GA at during all of this?

I would make this move in a heartbeat. Hood would be an instant upgrade to whatever we have currently manning that 3 spot. He is still young, so he can grow with our current BIG 3.
    If you Jimmer it, they will come.

Are the wizards going to make a play for D.C.? Marketing works

Could we get Oubre back in a ST if we can't sign cousins.

Quote Originally Posted by soggymoss View Post
    Boogies cap hold doesnt allow us to do that, we would have to renounce his cap hold, which means we renounce his bird rights
    Ugh... sometimes I wish we had a regular hard cap instead of this dynasty enabler soft cap trying to keep up with the Warriors being allowed to under-pay players their worth. I really hate this Super Team/Top 5 players taking Paycut Era.

Really wish they start establishing a pay floor for certain players that can't take pay cuts in their prime. Shouldn't be allowed for Klay Thompson to willing 50 million pay cut to stay with the Luxury Tax Warriors. Looks bad for the NBAPA.
    Last edited by Taker597; 06-27-2018 at 04:30 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Taker597 View Post
    Ugh... sometimes I wish we had a regular hard cap instead of this dynasty enabler soft cap trying to keep up with the Warriors being allowed to under-play players their worth. I really hate this Super Team/Top 5 players taking Paycut Era.
    I disagree. If you draft well, you should be able to keep your squad together. We kill players for taking the most money and then kill players for taking a pay cut. The NBAPA gave in and allowed teams to pay their drafted players more than any other team and offer more years, it's a good penalty and advantage for the "home" team. It's the Big Joker we could play in the Boogie FA if it came down to a bidding war.

Doesnt allow us to do what? If we have 80 million on the books & the cap is 101 million. we can sign a 20 million dollar FA. Then re-sign Boogie BECAUSE of bird rights.

Doesnt allow us to do what? If we have 80 million on the books & the cap is 101 million. we can sign a 20 million dollar FA. Then re-sign Boogie BECAUSE of bird rights.
    80 million would be players under contract, then you also have Boogies cap hold ADDED to that, which brings you well over the 101 million, thus bringing you over the cap... you cant sign anyone else unless you renounce that cap hold, because then you are technically over the cap

The Warriors were able to do it last year because they were under the cap already, Curry was still under contract, so they re-signed Durant (used the rest of their cap space), then gave Curry his supermax extension

A free agent’s cap hold is an amount of money that is charged to your team’s salary cap number, even though the player is not under contract. This is a deliberate ploy that exists to close a loophole; if free agent cap holds did not exist, it is theoretically possible for a team to have its entire roster become free agents at the same time, have their entire cap to spend on other team’s free agents, and then use Bird rights to re-sign their own ones afterwards. That would be disingenuous and would create a rather ludicrous situation whereby there would be no incentive to ever sign a long term deal. In having cap holds, your free agents eat into your cap room, forcing you to prioritise a bit better. The juggling of these priorities is a key component in team building and roster management.

https://bballbreakdown.com/2014/10/0...ht-one-matter/

80 million would be players under contract, then you also have Boogies cap hold ADDED to that, which brings you well over the 101 million, thus bringing you over the cap... you cant sign anyone else unless you renounce that cap hold, because then you are technically over the cap

The Warriors were able to do it last year because they were under the cap already, Curry was still under contract, so they re-signed Durant (used the rest of their cap space), then gave Curry his supermax extension
    Arbitrary #. Boogies cap hold is 27,000,000. Move Moore, Ajinca, Diallo, Hill & Miller. That's 31 million. There is room to make moves. Demps is creative. AD, Jrue, Boogie & Nico is 89 mill. Pels can grab another major piece, along with MLE & other minor $ manipulations, along w/Jackson & Clarks minimal contracts.

Arbitrary #. Boogies cap hold is 27,000,000. Move Moore, Ajinca, Diallo, Hill & Miller. That's 31 million. There is room to make moves. Demps is creative. AD, Jrue, Boogie & Nico is 89 mill. Pels can grab another major piece, along with MLE & other minor $ manipulations, along w/Jackson & Clarks minimal contracts.
    I dont know why I go back and forth with you on this but here we go:

Active roster cap 100,310,674

Take out those players, you are at 71,258,667, that's before you take back salary (not moving all those guys without taking back salary)

Add in Boogie and Rondo cap holds and you are back above the cap at 102,314,442, and again that's not including any salary taken back from moving those contracts above

Edit:I didnt add Diallo because hes on a minimum contract, dont know why you insist on moving him
    Last edited by soggymoss; 06-27-2018 at 02:00 PM.

I dont know why I go back and forth with you on this but here we go:

Active roster cap 100,310,674

Take out those players, you are at 71,258,667, that's before you take back salary (not moving all those guys without taking back salary)

Add in Boogie and Rondo cap holds and you are back above the cap at 102,314,442, and again that's not including any salary taken back from moving those contracts above
    You really are doing the Lord's work here

Moving all those players is easier said than done and is not happening.

Pelicans have 90 million in guaranteed contracts and additional 5million in players we are probably not looking to cut (Diallo, Jackson and Miller) throw in the Boogie cap hold and you are actually just working hard just to stay under the tax. If the Pelicans get far enough under the tax they'll get to use the full version of the MLE which is about 9 million and maybe can split that between Rondo and Hood. But that's the only way it happens.

We have another 5 million in cutable players (Okafor, and Liggins) but if Dell is really trying to penny pinch to either avoid the tax or use the full MLE, we'll see Darius Miller cut tommorow because 300k of his salary becomes guaranteed on the 28th.

The only scenario where we are using cap space to sign FA is one where Boogie leaves.
    Last edited by Pelifan; 06-27-2018 at 02:05 PM.

Wouldn't be able to move Moore, Ajinca, Hill and Miller without taking back contracts. Also have to consider Rondo's cap hold. Dell can be creative, but that is not realistic.

Thread Information