Pelicans Report

Page 8 of 12 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 LastLast

Thread: What additional pieces must be added?

Too soon to think trade, way too many options may present themselves this summer. First, hope we can somehow get the steal of the draft at pick 51. (Melvin Frazier) or some other long wing or big body prospect.

Trade niko and Moore to wizards for Otto porter.

Trade hill, ajinca, 2019 first rd pick to hawks for bazemore and 2019 second rd pick.

Rondo/clark/Jackson
    Holiday/bazemore
    Porter/Miller/liggins
    Davis/diallo
    Cousins/okafor

I'd have to think long and hard before I would trade Nico and Moore for many players. For Otto Porter, not too long. NO WAY!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Silver Nail View Post
    I'd have to think long and hard before I would trade Nico and Moore for many players. For Otto Porter, not too long. NO WAY!!!!!!
    Pelicans need to find a way to get longer, better athletes on the perimeter.

Quote Originally Posted by PelicanFever View Post
    Pelicans need to find a way to get longer, better athletes on the perimeter.
    I agree with that completely, however there are other options that would cost less than 2 starters. Even if they were/are actually valued as 6th or 7th option. One of them with AA or SOLO, then. yeah, different story. There are several long wing prospects coming in draft and also free agency. Those two guys and a first or second for a big name, okay.

Trade hill, ajinca, 2019 first rd pick to hawks for bazemore and 2019 second rd pick.

Rondo/clark/Jackson
    Holiday/bazemore
    Porter/Miller/liggins
    Davis/diallo
    Cousins/okafor
    not going to lie, on paper, I'm loving that. Much more balanced/talented/young roster that can matchup with anyone and could keep us below the hard cap. Albeit we would have even less depth than before. Bazemore is the exact same player as Moore except he's longer and plays better defense to Moore's better offense, and those cancel each other out. that leaves you basically trading Niko and picks for Porter which is great because Niko only has one year left on his deal and I doubt will be able to resign him

I worry about chemistry though. I have no reason to believe Porter or Bazemore would detract from that, but you're getting rid of guys that were key cogs in this years amazing chemistry that we kept hearing about. I'll put it this way, if I'm playing 2K I'd do it in a heart beat.

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! Tinman's Avatar

Rondo/clark/Jackson
    Holiday/bazemore
    Porter/Miller/liggins
    Davis/diallo
    Cousins/okafor
    Your first idea is horse pucky. And we can't trade our 2019 pick at this time, sooo? No way are we gonna wait until after draft to make that kind of move. Plus, that is a GOD AWFUL move for Atlanta.

Quote Originally Posted by deiondeion View Post
    not going to lie, on paper, I'm loving that. Much more balanced/talented/young roster that can matchup with anyone and could keep us below the hard cap. Albeit we would have even less depth than before. Bazemore is the exact same player as Moore except he's longer and plays better defense to Moore's better offense, and those cancel each other out. that leaves you basically trading Niko and picks for Porter which is great because Niko only has one year left on his deal and I doubt will be able to resign him

I worry about chemistry though. I have no reason to believe Porter or Bazemore would detract from that, but you're getting rid of guys that were key cogs in this years amazing chemistry that we kept hearing about. I'll put it this way, if I'm playing 2K I'd do it in a heart beat.
    Anyone who thinks Chieck & Okafor is a feasible back-up solution is smoking to many reefers.

The pels are going to roll it back just like they did the last time they made the playoffs. Except this time they have a much more talented roster.

I was behind the roll it back strategy the last time, although in retrospect I regretted it. I am behind it again.

I’m not a fan of running it back as we still have a lot of holes to fill.
    If you Jimmer it, they will come.

Quote Originally Posted by boardtown View Post
    The pels are going to roll it back just like they did the last time they made the playoffs. Except this time they have a much more talented roster.

I was behind the roll it back strategy the last time, although in retrospect I regretted it. I am behind it again.
    Me too.
    Re-sign Rondo, Cousins and maybe a longer PG if they can't re-sign Clark.
    See how the team flows with Boogie back in the lineup and then make a decision closer to the trade deadline.

This will then answer the questions they will have with Moore, Hill, Diallo and Mirotic moving forward.
    Plus it will be easier to dump Ajinca at the end of the season rather than at the beginning.

Players like Carroll will be easier to attain also.

Quote Originally Posted by UNO Gracias View Post
    I’m not a fan of running it back as we still have a lot of holes to fill.
    What are all the holes you see that need to be filled?

I only really see one hole and that's a starting SF.

Going into next season our depth chart is:
    Jackson
    Jrue/Moore/Liggins
    Hill/Miller
    AD/Mirotic
    Diallo/Okafor/Ajinca

The big needs are center, point guard, a 4th guard, and a veteran big while Boogie is coming back slowly. I think we lay pretty low this offseason and run it back for the most part. Dell and Boogie negotiate a 3 year $100 million deal with the last year being a player option (2+1). It lines up with AD’s year going into FA. Also, if Boogie comes back and isn’t the same player, we are only strapped in for 3 years. If he comes back healthy and continues his form, he will be eligible for the 10-year veteran max, which he would deserve. I imagine Rondo getting close to all of the taxpayer MLE which is about $5.2 million. I think Dell should give him either a 1+1 or a 2+1. Ian Clark has made around $4.3 million in his 4-year career. That is chump change by most NBA standards. I think Clark will cash in this summer and walk. I don’t blame him. I see no need to re-sign Jordan Crawford. As awesome of a nickname that “Instant Grits” is, he’s a chucker. The next thing I would like to see is an Ajinca trade. While he could be involved in a Paul George deal (I’ll touch on him later), I see the realistic option being a small salary dump. Something like Ajinca, the 2nd round pick, and cash for very little salary in return or future top 55 protected 2nd round pick. If he isn’t dealt this summer, I would imagine he’s gone by the trade deadline. We don’t have very much money to sign anyone. I still looked at the Hoops Hype list briefly and a couple of guys stuck out to me: Joe Harris, Seth Curry, Mario Hezonja, and Ed Davis. Seth Curry is the most interesting since he is unrestricted and was hurt this whole past year. With Dell, there are always options none of us common fans know about. These things are impossible to predict.
    On the topic of Paul George, I would love to have him but it’s all conditional on if he wants to come here. However, I remember MM posted a few trades a while back that caught my eye:
    1. Mirotic, Ajinca, Darius Miller or Frank Jackson for PG-13
    2. Moore, Mirotic, and Ajinca for PG-13 and Patrick Patterson
    3. Hill, Moore, Diallo and a 1st for PG-13

While I would take any of these in a heartbeat, I would do #1. I give it around a 10% chance we get PG-13, but I think all of those trades are realistic. Also, we have to remember this would be a similar situation to CP3 this past year. PG-13 still has one more year on his contract for about $20 million. He can go sign for the Lakers since it’s a player option. So, if we were to trade for PG-13, we would have to re-sign him next offseason.
    For next season I imagine our lineup for next season is:
    Rondo/FA/Jackson
    Jrue/Moore/Liggins
    Hill/Miller
    AD/Mirotic/Diallo
    Boogie/FA/Okafor

We will have an interesting start of the season. I don’t think Boogie will play back to backs for quite some time as well as a minutes restriction. This means more Mirotic in the starting lineup so we’ll do some running. This team will create mismatches and be fun to watch. I’m excited.
    Welcome to be here

What holes need to be filled? The holes that caused us to lose 4-1 to the Warriors.

What is your end game? How far do you really think we could have gone with Boogie? How far do you really think we can go with Boogie. In my mind we don’t have enough shooters. We don’t have enough shooters, and because of that we won’t get past the Warriors or the Rockets. If you run it back you aren’t running it back with enough shooters.
    Last edited by UNO Gracias; 05-14-2018 at 12:19 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by UNO Gracias View Post
    What holes need to be filled? The holes that caused us to lose 4-1 to the Warriors.

What is your end game? How far do you really think we could have gone with Boogie? How far do you really think we can go with Boogie. In my mind we don’t have enough shooters. We don’t have enough shooters, and because of that we won’t get past the Warriors or the Rockets. If you run it back you aren’t running it back with enough shooters.
    I'm confused, you said don't run it back because we have "a lot of holes to fill" then when I ask what holes you only name shooting as needing more of. If shooting is your biggest concern you should love Cousins coming back since he was our 3rd highest 3pt shooter (not 10 day guys) and he averaged over 6 3pt shot attempts a game.

To answer your question with a fully healthy Cousins and nothing different about our team I think we take them to 7 games. With a completely healthy team I think they are favored but we have something like a 30% chance to win the series.

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! pelicanchamp's Avatar
    Do everything in our power to get Paul George. I say resign Boogie, Rondo, and do a sign and trade with okc for George. Send Niko, another player and draft picks for George on a 1-2 year deal. George is the best solution for our team. If benson can pay George and cousins and Rondo the team will be dramatically better.

Benson said she is willing to go into lux tax so I say add Avery Bradley or Will Barton and move Moore to bench.

AlsocWe should try to get a backup big who can rebound. Can Diallo take the next step and give the team better rebounding? I doubt it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Mythrol View Post
    I'm confused, you said don't run it back because we have "a lot of holes to fill" then when I ask what holes you only name shooting as needing more of. If shooting is your biggest concern you should love Cousins coming back since he was our 3rd highest 3pt shooter (not 10 day guys) and he averaged over 6 3pt shot attempts a game.

To answer your question with a fully healthy Cousins and nothing different about our team I think we take them to 7 games. With a completely healthy team I think they are favored but we have something like a 30% chance to win the series.
    Trade for Tobias Harris . Will cost less than PG13 & fits our glaring needs. Length 6'9" -- Athlete, 3pt shooter & he's NOT Solomon Hill. He will also be cheaper than PG13. Sign Wayne Ellington & Tobias Harris & I'm go to go. Sign a long athletic #5 from the discount heap.

Quote Originally Posted by Tinman View Post
    Trade for Tobias Harris . Will cost less than PG13 & fits our glaring needs. Length 6'9" -- Athlete, 3pt shooter & he's NOT Solomon Hill. He will also be cheaper than PG13. Sign Wayne Ellington & Tobias Harris & I'm go to go. Sign a long athletic #5 from the discount heap.
    Yeah, getting Boogie back will help, but there is no denying that our bench leaves a lot to be desired. We don’t need a Toronto type bench, but we need more help than what we are getting. Add a Harris and Ellington (or any other knock down shooter) along with Boogie and I will feel better.

Quote Originally Posted by Silver Nail View Post
    Too soon to think trade, way too many options may present themselves this summer. First, hope we can somehow get the steal of the draft at pick 51. (Melvin Frazier) or some other long wing or big body prospect.
    This is a team that needs to start competing for championships. There is no way a second round pick, no matter how big a steal, is going to fill any gaping hole on this roster for next year. We need more than a "long wing or big body" prospect. We need a player at SF in his prime that can hit a 3pt shot at a consistent and high volume rate and play D against length. Doesn't have to be an all-star (although thats a bonus) but he's got to be able to do those two things or else we will never beat the Warriors.

I'd hate to loose both Mirotic and Moore, but i see that as being the only route to getting a guy like PG. I think i'd take it, but i'd hate it, because I love both of those guys. I'd rather see us lose Miller than Etwaun... but damn, if we could PG here with Boogie, that'd be something else.

What about Aminu (chief) from Portland back in the big easy as SF? Any takers?

I think PG is a pipe dream, but if you can turn some combo of Mirotic, Moore and a first rounder into a starting SF, I think you've got to do it.

I really like Mirotic on this team and the three-big rotation of he, AD and Boogie would be strong. But at the end of the day you've got the same problem with Niko that you had with Ryno: he plays the same position as your franchise super star.

Unless AD is moving center and/or Boogie doesn't resign, you can't have all three in your finishing five. On balance, if you can get the right SF, you have to be willing to let him go...

Quote Originally Posted by new city champ View Post
    I think PG is a pipe dream, but if you can turn some combo of Mirotic, Moore and a first rounder into a starting SF, I think you've got to do it.

I really like Mirotic on this team and the three-big rotation of he, AD and Boogie would be strong. But at the end of the day you've got the same problem with Niko that you had with Ryno: he plays the same position as your franchise super star.

Unless AD is moving center and/or Boogie doesn't resign, you can't have all three in your finishing five. On balance, if you can get the right SF, you have to be willing to let him go...
    Or, you could keep Nico and he could rotate in from the 3-5, and you could always have a combo of:
    AD-Nico-SF
    Cousins-Nico-Ad
    SF-nico-cousins

That would also allow us to play AD and Cousins ~32 MPG rather than wearing them out more with 35+

Quote Originally Posted by Tinman View Post
    I wanted to trade for him since he was in Orlando so I'm all for this. I wonder what his cost would be though.

The reason PG gets mentioned is because he can theoretically force a trade that wouldn't require us selling the farm for him. Harris wouldn't be able to do that since he's under contract.

Quote Originally Posted by Mythrol View Post
    What are all the holes you see that need to be filled?

I only really see one hole and that's a starting SF.

As much as everyone loves Rondo, he is a liability. We need a backup PG that can hit shots and defend if we loose Clark. Jackson shouldn't even be a thought as a role player yet. I want Rondo back, but right around The 3-4m

Thread Information