Pelicans Report

Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 LastLast

Thread: Pelicans Vs Jazz - February 5th

Quote Originally Posted by Taker597 View Post
    We been what 1-6 without Boogie... ? woah. This is depressing, but expected. I honestly don't know if we can turn it around.
    1-4 without Cousins and We have 5 games more to come heading into AllStar break. With performance like this it can be over before it really start....

Quote Originally Posted by Pelicanidae View Post
    1-4. But still, disgraceful
    I don't know. We will have a great squad next year. If we don't renew Gentry. Hopefully, we can somehow get our hands on a good coach that can develop players and not thrive off talent. I don't think this offense and most definitely this defense gonna win us a championship at this rate.

Not gonna lie, this was a gut punch type of game.

I think I'm ready to clean house after this one.

I don't know. We will have a great squad next year. If we don't renew Gentry. Hopefully, we can somehow get our hands on a good coach that can develop players and not thrive off talent. I don't think this offense and most definitely this defense gonna win us a championship at this rate.
    My ideal would be to somehow keep Finch, some of the developmental guys that have stuck around from the Monty regime, but bring in a new head coach and from there let him make the rest of the personnel decisions.

Problem is, who do you go after? The Gentry hire offseason was really a great time to get a new coach, be it up and coming or established guys like Thibs, I'm not so sure now.
    Last edited by N.O.Bronco; 02-05-2018 at 09:42 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Mythrol View Post
    Not gonna lie, this was a gut punch type of game.

I think I'm ready to clean house after this one.
    fa real. AD is worn down and/or checked out, but a lot else is wrong, too. Guess we can hope for better

Quote Originally Posted by N.O.Bronco View Post
    My ideal would be to somehow keep Finch, some of the developmental guys that have stuck around from the Monty regime, but bring in a new head coach and from there let him make the rest of the personnel decisions.

Problem is, who do you go after? The Gentry hire offseason was really a great time to get a new coach, be it up and coming or established guys like Thibs, I'm not so sure now.
    That is the struggle in the NBA. So hard to find high quality coaches that work with your personnel.

Saying Jrue is better off ball is basically crediting Rondo with Jrues successful season this year.. if anything Rondo has slowed Jrue down and stopped him from having an even bigger season. He has had to share the ball while Rondo ruins the offense to then get little spurts to have the offense as the main ball handler.. then you throw in how much AD and Cousins touch the ball his usage rate means he is better off ball? LoL ok no.. Jrue has been considerably better with Rondo off the court and that's a fact.. that means Jrue in those minutes was the primary ball handler on our team.. I don't care if Cousins and AD had some of the offense run through them during those minutes but they still were not the primary ball handlers creating for others that was Jrue.. the numbers are pretty perfectly clear on how much better our offense and defense has been with Rondo off the floor which again means Jrue was the primary ball handler not mostly playing off ball.. saying Jrue should play more off ball because we would possibly benefit from him then sure but that has not been the case because of who we have had during that experiment with him.. this is like saying Harden and CP3 are better off ball because they are better and the team is better when they share the ball.. give Jrue one of those guys and yes that's the case..

You give me the choice or putting John Wall someone like Klay Thompson next to Jrue? I'm going with Klay all day because Jrue and this team would be much better with a pure scorer and 3 point threat that can still handle the ball creating for others as or secondary ball handler as oppose to John Wall who can be the primary guy who can't shoot ok at times while making Jrue more of an off the ball player and spot up shooter..

Quote Originally Posted by Rheem654 View Post
    fa real. AD is worn down and/or checked out, but a lot else is wrong, too. Guess we can hope for better
    Watching AD I keep thinking back to one of the comments he made in the national press about how he likes that in Boston they can lose a guy like Gordon and keep on winning. They have multiple guys that step up and make it easier for the stars.

Definitely feels like AD may be letting stuff like that get to his head. There seems to be a bit of a going through the motions and passive aggressive frustration building up. Which ironically is always self-defeating and just makes things worse.

I certainly think he is not the sort of natural leader most superstars of his caliber are, and I think that is a problem for our present situation. Cousins was the heart and soul and without him you just sort of have AD, who is a special player, but doesn't have that same fire and leadership, and we don't have a coach like the Jazz do, or the Bulls, or Boston, that can be a sort of substitute for that absence.

.....On another note, is anyone else a bit perplexed and frustrated that after a practice and some time with the coaching staff, Mirotic looked more lost than he did Saturday?

Cousins needs to go watch Jokic this off season and see how that guy plays.. watching this kid on league pass right now and have a few others times this year.. kid is fun to watch! I love Cousins but he would be so much better for this team in that type of role scoring around 20 ppg while taking over at times. Cousins and Jokic have a very similar skill set but Cousins is a more gifted athelete and player. If it does take him a season to get back to where he was he could really benefit replicating the way Jokic plays and so could the team.
    Last edited by GuardianAngel25; 02-05-2018 at 09:56 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by jprdbulldog20 View Post

That is very depressing to read.

.....On another note, is anyone else a bit perplexed and frustrated that after a practice and some time with the coaching staff, Mirotic looked more lost than he did Saturday?
    That's that Alvin Gentry effect. That "I don't want you settling for drives" effect. That "everything is going to be okay" vibe.
    Basketball.

Pelicans Vs Jazz - February 5th

That is very depressing to read.
    Have you ever seen Gentry post game interviews? It is this every time. Players feed off their coach. Gentry always has an excuse...now I guess the players are using that strategy too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Watching AD I keep thinking back to one of the comments he made in the national press about how he likes that in Boston they can lose a guy like Gordon and keep on winning. They have multiple guys that step up and make it easier for the stars.

Definitely feels like AD may be letting stuff like that get to his head. There seems to be a bit of a going through the motions and passive aggressive frustration building up. Which ironically is always self-defeating and just makes things worse.

I certainly think he is not the sort of natural leader most superstars of his caliber are, and I think that is a problem for our present situation. Cousins was the heart and soul and without him you just sort of have AD, who is a special player, but doesn't have that same fire and leadership, and we don't have a coach like the Jazz do, or the Bulls, or Boston, that can be a sort of substitute for that absence.

Yea good post. Should be interesting to see how AD comes out of the all-star break to see how much is due to fatigue and how much due to feeling like he has to carry too much of a load or low on heart/ willingness

Quote Originally Posted by GuardianAngel25 View Post
    Saying Jrue is better off ball is basically crediting Rondo with Jrues successful season this year.
    No, it is not.

Rondo can both help allow Jrue to better maximize his personal offensive talent, while also being a sieve for the team overall. Those are not mutually exclusive ideas. It can also be true that while Rondo helps Jrue in that regard, that is all in the pursuit of a system adjustment that better plays to the strengths of Jrue with and without Rondo on the floor.

Rondo is also at a career low usage rate, that is because he is playing more off the ball as well. Such is the nature of a heavy ball movement, heavy cutting, heavy player movement system. Rondo just sucks these days as a starter no matter what system you use him in, and in this system it is a bit of an odd fit because the system really needs people that are multiple threats. Which Rondo is not.

The rest of your post is a jumbled mess of straw man and hard to follow stream of consciousness sentences, so you are going to need to package that a bit better, as it is pretty difficult to parse out what point you are trying o make with regard to what I have actually said.

In the Minny post-game interview, I believe AD said the team is typically off on Sundays so there would still be no practices for Mirotic before the game...just the shoot-around this morning I think

In the Minny post-game interview, I believe AD said the team is typically off on Sundays so there would still be no practices for Mirotic before the game...just the shoot-around this morning I think
    I guess i would hope they had made an exception for that given the situation.

Which maybe that is the case, to which I would question Gentry, but maybe give a bit of hope that by the next game Mirotic will be a bit more comfortable.

For a guy that rarely this year had fewer than 10 points and over 5 boards, the guy looked replacement level tonight on offense. After looking pretty solid Saturday, given the circumstances.

I guess i would hope they had made an exception for that given the situation.

Which maybe that is the case, to which I would question Gentry, but maybe give a bit of hope that by the next game Mirotic will be a bit more comfortable.

For a guy that rarely this year had fewer than 10 points and over 5 boards, the guy looked replacement level tonight on offense. After looking pretty solid Saturday, given the circumstances.
    I agree, it was strange. That being said, our offense was good enough to win tonight. Our defense was just ATROCIOUS

I agree, it was strange. That being said, our offense was good enough to win tonight. Our defense was just ATROCIOUS
    Yeah, and to me that is where I am getting frustrated with Gentry. You lost roughly 30ppg when Cousins went down.

You dont make that up by giving up even more defensively by continually going smaller to hopefully spark an offensive run to replicate what you lost. We don't have the fire power anymore to just outscore opponents. You make that up by tightening things up defensively. Instead of Rondo often stuck on Mitchell or Rubio blowing by him, Moore guarding Ingles, Hood, and getting switched onto bigs, perhaps think about putting Moore at his natural position, Putting Cunningham/Miller in to guard these slower, bigger forwards that Moore struggles with, and take Rondo off the court for Jrue to slide over. Perhaps a little less Clark and bit more Liggins in a game like this to help with the perimeter defense.
    Last edited by N.O.Bronco; 02-05-2018 at 10:29 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Pelicanidae View Post
    That's that Alvin Gentry effect. That "I don't want you settling for drives" effect. That "everything is going to be okay" vibe.
    In what universe can you settle for penetration in a basketball game?

I'm not saying that the Jazz are going to take our playoff spot, but Donavan Mitchell is having a CP3 type rookie year where if the Jazz miss the playoffs it will be because they are one game out.

That kid is the truth.
    If you Jimmer it, they will come.

Well here's some positives to take away from this game:

Jrue Holiday is legit. He's really a top perimeter player at this point.

Dante Cunningham didn't play. Many have been asking for this. A sign of Gentry's willingness to adjust. More time for Diallo.

Rondo hit 3's. That was pretty fun to see him hit all those.

This game is behind us now. Thank goodness.

I think Dante deserves a few minutes rather than 0 at all. It's when he plays longer than 5 minutes at a time he's a liability

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! pelicanchamp's Avatar
    Pelicans need to improve defense. If they improve defense they will make the playoffs. When is solo coming back?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If you believe Rondo somehow helps Jrues offensive game then I'll end the conversation right there. That is a joke and like I said the numbers are completely on my side along with the eye test.. you have given nothing to support Jrue is better off ball outside of a usage % that means nothing lol.. it is not a coincidence the offense is completely different when Rondo leaves the game and Jrue is the main ball handler. Sahing Jrue has been better as an off ball player simply is not true. Just because Jrue can play off ball which most PGs can if needed outside of guys like Rondo and a few there does not mean is better in that position. Go look at the numbers if somehow you lost your glasses and can't use the eye ball test..

Thread Information