Pelicans Report

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: Lets Rank Jrue Holiday

Holiday is no way in the top 10. Even with my New Orleans Pelicans fan goggles, he's not better than those guys in the top 10 (Kyrie, Curry, Harden, Russ, Isiah Thomas, CP3, Wall, Lillard, Bledsoe and Conley). Maybe Conley and Bledsoe on one of his good nights but he's to inconsistent.

Quote Originally Posted by BP225 View Post
    You have one season to give both Cousins and AD a reason to commit to another 5 years here. I'm saying you make the moves it takes to be the best team you can be in 2017. If maxing Holiday is a necessary component to achieve that then yes, you max Holiday. What good does saving money on Holiday do if you aren't good enough to keep your big 2?
    You don't lock someone to please other people if you don't feel that person is incompetent to fill a certain role
    https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BrEtGIuCYAAUHds.jpg

And you also don't take a step back when you're on a one season clock with your star players. I'm not saying you have to keep Holiday, but you do need a viable alternative that makes you just as good. The Pels don't have time to plug the PG position with an inferior stop gap and wait for the right PG to come along. They need to be a playoff team on the rise by next summer.

Quote Originally Posted by tyler View Post
    You don't lock someone to please other people if you don't feel that person is incompetent to fill a certain role
    How the heck is Jrue incompetent? We are literally arguing if he is either the 9th best PG in the world or the 12th best PG in the world. . .

You guys need to chill the crap out with these hot takes.

Quote Originally Posted by PELICANSFAN View Post
    I cannot see him being 5-8. Maybe 10-12 at best. I would like to see him stay, but I have never felt he was a max player.
    I don't think he deserves the max because of his inconsistency and TOs, but he has the talent. I lean more toward a well-rounded PG, so these guys like Lillard, Thomas, Irving, etc.... They don't impress me, so I bump them down my list.

Would you take Bledsoe, Lillard, and Thomas over Jrue? If not, then he is top-10, with the potential to be better.

Quote Originally Posted by 6warddude View Post
    people on this board dont like to be honest...jrue has been hurt and inconsistent since he been here...this is his contract season and he started playing decent ball about a month ago i think....

im just scared that when we resign him,,he will be the same ole jrue and not improve...........imo AD and boogie need a PG who is a general like cp3,,dont know who that PG is out there now but that type of PG will take AD and boogie far......hell,,i resign jrue and try to get ish smith as the backup,,,with smith at PG and jrue at SG with AD and boogie,,,i know smith would have 10+assist just to AD and boogie........
    Yeah, thats where I am at. He has been injured, and we can't expect him not to injure himself when that has been who he is since he arrived here. I would love to have him back, but he isn't a top 10 pg (yet), and he certainly isn't someone I am looking to give the max to.
    If you Jimmer it, they will come.

Quote Originally Posted by Mythrol View Post
    How the heck is Jrue incompetent? We are literally arguing if he is either the 9th best PG in the world or the 12th best PG in the world. . .

You guys need to chill the crap out with these hot takes.
    Me personally I think jrue is too passive for me. I just don't see that IT factor for me. He is decent but do you think he is the 3rd wheel that we need. Now I've been feeling like this for some time.

Let me be clear in my argument. I wouldn't max out Jrue. I'd love him at $20, but I'd be okay with him at $25.

Definitely not the max. I don't trust him enough.

Looking at the OPs list, I would see if any of the above mentioned guys are on the trade block during the offseason, and see if we can sign and trade Jrue to one of those teams. If not, I would hold tight, and see if we could give him an offer less than $20.

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!!
    I'm wondering the same question. Is Jrue really a max type player? Seems more like a good not great PG. Cousins and AD put up a bunch of points but the other member of our big 3 didn't get it done.

Quote Originally Posted by nolaslim213 View Post
    Let me be clear in my argument. I wouldn't max out Jrue. I'd love him at $20, but I'd be okay with him at $25.

Definitely not the max. I don't trust him enough.
    Me too. I don't think he's a max player. He's still a good PG but giving him max money would hurt us in the long run in signing pieces to build a championship.

Quote Originally Posted by BP225 View Post
    Your list isn't really a useful tool because I'd say Teague is the only player on that list the Pels would have a shot at. So the real comparison is between Holiday, Teague or someone else that by definition is further down your list and would be a downgrade. Can you actually get Teague and if so can you find a better backcourt mix with Teague than you can with Holiday? That is the question to ask, not where Holiday ranks amongst PGs.

They are on the clock with Cousins and AD, they don't have time to develop a PG (why they traded their pick) and with Cousins FA and AD's extension on the line, do you really want to bet on Patty Mills becoming the starting PG you need? Since Holiday can play off ball I'd have no problem bringing another PG in, and I do think we need another creator, but there aren't a ton of paths where the Pels get better by losing Holiday, so you're just going to have to suck it up and pay him.
    Interesting you mention Patty Mills. He would be a great fit alongside Holiday.

I don't think he deserves the max because of his inconsistency and TOs, but he has the talent. I lean more toward a well-rounded PG, so these guys like Lillard, Thomas, Irving, etc.... They don't impress me, so I bump them down my list.

Would you take Bledsoe, Lillard, and Thomas over Jrue? If not, then he is top-10, with the potential to be better.
    This exactly, people discount elite defense.

How about you make a list of the top defensive PG. Then average them with what is clearly a list if offensive ability.

Jrue is probably top 5 defensively and if he's about top 12 offensively that puts him right about number 8 or so.

Quote Originally Posted by Thepeelsessions View Post
    One awful game and now this. The fickleness regarding Jrue on this board is truly amazing. And isn't Harden a SG?
    The reason people are fickle regarding Jrue is because Jrue is maddeningly inconsistent. When he's good, he can look like a top 10 PG, but when he's off he's worse than replacement level. Jrue is like a rookie in that way, only he's 7 years into his career. If someone can identify why Jrue is so damn inconsistent and fix that, then we could invest a max deal with confidence. But he is a very risky player, beyond the injury history, because you just never know whether you're going to get Elite Jrue or G-League Jrue.

I think believing that Jrue is clearly outside of the top 10 at his position, and believing that the Pelicans have to resign Jrue even if it means maxing him out, are two things a Pelicans fan can believe simultaneously. Not sure why this is even a debate.

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! pelicanchamp's Avatar
    PELS will overpay him. Jrue will have to get injured or play terrible for the PELS to pass on him. He will stay a pelican and will be overpayed maxed.

I'm giving last nights game a pass. If we see him play well from here on out I think he will shut us up. Jrue will probably do just fine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Patrick Beverley has had Jrue's number in the past, plus it was Holiday's first time in the offense with Cousins. But still, it's hard to view him as a max player at this point.

How about we not over-react to one game? Jrue was total garbage last night, and we all agree. That game doesn't define him. He has been one of the top PGs in the league over the past month or two.

Jrue has been garbage too many times this year. Has to be more consistent now.

Jrue should be at 13.

Jrue is better than Hill, Schroeder, and Bledsoe. Still I am concerned about overpaying for him.

If you are talking about stats. We can all admit he is up and down. With that said he is 15TH in Hollinger's rating of point guards. I would want to pay him 18 million a year if I could, but it will cost 25 million to keep him.
    hoops hype list the following point guards in order of free agent rank. Who could we get better than Jrue?

1. Stephen Curry
    Unrestricted / Point Guard / 6-3 / Last team: Golden State
    2. Chris Paul
    Player Option / Point Guard / 6-0 / Last team: LA Clippers
    3. Kyle Lowry
    Player Option / Point Guard / 6-0 / Last team: Toronto
    4. Jrue Holiday
    Unrestricted / Point Guard / 6-4 / Last team: New Orleans
    5. George Hill
    Unrestricted / Point Guard / 6-3 / Last team: Utah
    6. Jeff Teague
    Unrestricted / Point Guard / 6-2 / Last team: Indiana
    7. Derrick Rose
    Unrestricted / Point Guard / 6-3 / Last team: New York
    8. Patrick Mills
    Unrestricted / Point Guard / 6-0 / Last team: San Antonio
    9. Shaun Livingston
    Unrestricted / Point Guard / 6-7 / Last team: Golden State
    10. Darren Collison
    Unrestricted / Point Guard / 6-0 / Last team: Sacramento

Quote Originally Posted by DOMINION View Post
    If you are talking about stats. We can all admit he is up and down. With that said he is 15TH in Hollinger's rating of point guards. I would want to pay him 18 million a year if I could, but it will cost 25 million to keep him.
    hoops hype list the following point guards in order of free agent rank. Who could we get better than Jrue?

1. Stephen Curry
    Unrestricted / Point Guard / 6-3 / Last team: Golden State
    2. Chris Paul
    Player Option / Point Guard / 6-0 / Last team: LA Clippers
    3. Kyle Lowry
    Player Option / Point Guard / 6-0 / Last team: Toronto
    4. Jrue Holiday
    Unrestricted / Point Guard / 6-4 / Last team: New Orleans
    5. George Hill
    Unrestricted / Point Guard / 6-3 / Last team: Utah
    6. Jeff Teague
    Unrestricted / Point Guard / 6-2 / Last team: Indiana
    7. Derrick Rose
    Unrestricted / Point Guard / 6-3 / Last team: New York
    8. Patrick Mills
    Unrestricted / Point Guard / 6-0 / Last team: San Antonio
    9. Shaun Livingston
    Unrestricted / Point Guard / 6-7 / Last team: Golden State
    10. Darren Collison
    Unrestricted / Point Guard / 6-0 / Last team: Sacramento
    Also, given that Jrue is the only one on the list that we can go over the cap to sign, and he is a no-brainer. I just hope that we do not have to max him.

Quote Originally Posted by kjayb51 View Post
    Top PGs better than Jrue (not in order)

1. Curry
    2. Russ
    3. Harden
    4. CP3
    5. Conley
    6. Wall
    7. Kyrie
    8. Lillard
    9. Isaiah Thomas
    10. Lowry
    11. Kemba
    12. Jrue
    13. Teague
    14. Bledsoe
    15. Schroder
    16. George Hill

Still agree to throw max cash at him?
    FIFY

I don't think Bledsoe, Teague, Schroder or George Hill are better than Jrue. I live in Atlanta and can tell you confidently Jrue is a more well rounded player than Schroder and Teague.

So he is 12th in my opinion and only because the top 11 are all very good.

The argument of whether or not to pay him that much I can understand though. If you don't though what is the other option? who else would be a free agent that you would pay? Where would you spend the money?

Jrue is without a doubt a borderline allstar quality PG and I don't think anyone else available would be a better 3rd option to AD and Boogie.

Oh and please don't say CP3. People around here are too stuck in the past. At 31 Chris Paul is not on the same timeline as Boogie/AD.
    Last edited by JrueDat; 02-24-2017 at 02:45 PM.

The issue with Jrue is it's taken him 4 seasons in NOLA to figure out what he's supposed to be and seemingly just after doing so he's been asked to change his play style again. This is all IQ stuff. He's just not Chris Paul who could sense which parts of the game to get his teammates going and when he needed to assert himself. Even in his best stretch of the season his turnovers were way too high.

He's a really talented guy but the IQ problems is what has prevented him from reaching top 5 PG status. There's still a lot of unknowns about a guy who has been in the league for 8 seasons.

I would offer Jrue whatever he can get on the market plus extra year because of having his bird rights. If that is 30m try to do a sign and trade, Regardless, I would take a shot at both Patty Mills and Shawn Livingston in addition to the current look at JJ

Thread Information