Pelicans Report

Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast

Thread: Pelicans signing Motiejunas?

Quote Originally Posted by new city champ View Post
    I'm a little confused. Isn't Montiejunas, like, a real player? How is he so available at this price? He's a skilled 7-footer with a post game and legit three-point range. How are we getting him?
    Health concerns, from what I understand poor agent representation and some possible weird behind the scenes stuff that created this situation. Basically, I don't really know.

D-Mo is a below average three point shooter. Let's clear up that misconception.

"I'm not going to allow my putative owner to answer that question, this is an NBA related press conference. Paul Tagliabue and Roger Goodell have collectively sung their praises of Tom and if uh ESPN has a problem with that tell Mr. Skipper to call me at my office."

How long would it realistically take for a new player like D-Mo to be able to actually get on the court and be able to "fit in" with the movement and plays? Is it all basically the same, either iso or pick and roll, etc ?
    We had quite a few interesting conversations as we pondered and navigated the nightly canopy.

Quote Originally Posted by Shrimpnose View Post
    How long would it realistically take for a new player like D-Mo to be able to actually get on the court and be able to "fit in" with the movement and plays? Is it all basically the same, either iso or pick and roll, etc ?
    He should fit in immediately but probably a month before he's fully acclimated

Pelicans signing Motiejunas?

You guys are slow. The Vertical and Shams broke the news that DMo agreed to sign with us 5 hours ago. Apparently will make it official tomorrow.

Donatas Motiejunas agrees to deal with Pelicans after also visiting Lakers and Timberwolves. @ShamsCharania report. https://yhoo.it/2hKkmO2
    Last edited by Mythrol; 01-02-2017 at 04:27 PM.

So how about his defense and rebounding?

Quote Originally Posted by luckyman View Post
    So how about his defense and rebounding?
    Average. His stats aren't outstanding but as explained by that new poster, he was put in sporadically except for one year - in that one year he played well but not outstanding.

I think it's fair to say he's a potential type of player. Hopefully he sticks with us.

The Franchise
    I think he is an upgrade of Ajinca and Asik but still a bench player. Definitely a good get at this point of the season. Also makes us able to trade any of our bigs if we can get some value for them.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Eman5805 View Post
    But our training staff is so vaguely bad at being a training staff, that once you aren't being trained by them, your body just doesn't get hurt anymore.
    Don't blink spending 50 mil on Asik but shelling out for competent training staff? Outrageous! What a complete waste of money!

#Pelslife

Snarky Optimistic Guy msusousaphone's Avatar
    But our training staff is so vaguely bad at being a training staff, that once you aren't being trained by them, your body just doesn't get hurt anymore.
    New Orleans sports for the past few years explained in one post.
    BI, Zion, and CJ had a net rating of +3 when on the court together. BI and Zion had a +13.4, BI and CJ had a +13.2, Zion and CJ was just +5.4.

BI and Zion worked. BI and CJ worked. It was CJ and Zion and all three together that didn't work.

Banned
    Sooooo.. any ideas of when he might suit up?

He was expected to be announced today.
    Even Gentry mentioned talks b4 game

Quote Originally Posted by Mythrol View Post
    Average. His stats aren't outstanding but as explained by that new poster, he was put in sporadically except for one year - in that one year he played well but not outstanding.
    I think it's fair to say he's a potential type of player. Hopefully he sticks with us.
    Rebounding is average(maybe even below average), however his defense is a bit higher than average. He's not a shot blocker but he takes great defensive positions. You'll see.
    And he played better than well, he played very well. When Dwight was out, Motiejunas was the second best and most important player right after Harden. It should tell you something.

Quote Originally Posted by tdcreator View Post
    I think he is an upgrade of Ajinca and Asik but still a bench player.
    If he's healthy, he is definitely a starter. Now, I am not sure that he will be able to go back to 2014-15 season playing level. Cause at the end of the 2015-16 he looked more than usually slow. But maybe that was because he hadn't play nearly for a year so he was out of practice. Plus to fully heal a back takes more than one year, at least 1.5 years. So, there is a good chance he'll be healthy and near his 2014-15 level. And if he is, you'll see, he is way way more talented and useful than TJones or Cuningham. I believe many Pelicans fans will be surprised to see how good and useful Motiejunas is on offence and even on defence. If he is near 2014-15 level of course which is not guaranteed.

A Soulful Sports Fan Contributor Eman5805's Avatar
    One thing I like in the brief highlights I've seen is he's a pretty fanciful passer.

One thing I like in the brief highlights I've seen is he's a pretty fanciful passer.

Welp its official he is signed.
    I'm a grinder

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! JunkHead's Avatar
    Ok so, with DMo being signed, Small ball seemingly working ok, Diallo still waiting to play, what are the chances that BOTH Asik and Ajinca are gone soon? Anyone think that it's a possibility? Both FO thinking-wise, and Trade probability-wise?

Quote Originally Posted by JunkHead View Post
    Ok so, with DMo being signed, Small ball seemingly working ok, Diallo still waiting to play, what are the chances that BOTH Asik and Ajinca are gone soon? Anyone think that it's a possibility? Both FO thinking-wise, and Trade probability-wise?
    I'm fine with keeping asik still anjica can bounce he is horrible at everything except height

A Soulful Sports Fan Contributor Eman5805's Avatar
    Can we just stretch Asik? What's the pros and cons of that? One thing I miss about MM is he actually cared enough to learn how the salary stuff worked. Numbers and legalese anger me and make me want to beat things with dinosaur bone until it stop make hurt head. Ugh.

The Franchise    Contributor   

Isn't there something in the new CBA about trading a guy who has a partial guarantee on their contract? Am I remembering that right, and what if any impact does that have on trading Asik?

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!!
    Quote Originally Posted by PelsFan2313 View Post
    D-Mo is a below average three point shooter. Let's clear up that misconception.
    Really? So you can name 15 centers that shoot better than him from long distance?

Quote Originally Posted by Hugeaux II View Post
    Isn't there something in the new CBA about trading a guy who has a partial guarantee on their contract? Am I remembering that right, and what if any impact does that have on trading Asik?
    That is in the new CBA, if you trade a player when all that's left is a partial guarantee he only counts as the partially guaranteed amount. It's unclear if it will impact Asik. Normally older contracts are grandfathered in and the new rules don't apply.

Quote Originally Posted by hornetsrebirth View Post
    Really? So you can name 15 centers that shoot better than him from long distance?
    Gasol, Porzingis, other Gasol, Channing Frye, Towns, Aldridge, Embiid, AD, Turner, Lopez, Sabonis, Olynik, Myers Leaonard, Jokic, and Horford. And that's just looking at teams and going off the top of my head so I'm sure there are more. That's also if you really want to qualify Donuts as a center, which is a stretch. He's barely at 30% career from 3. I really like this signing, but let's not go overboard in our praise for him.

Quote Originally Posted by Nola3 View Post
    Gasol, Porzingis, other Gasol, Channing Frye, Towns, Aldridge, Embiid, AD, Turner, Lopez, Sabonis, Olynik, Myers Leaonard, Jokic, and Horford. And that's just looking at teams and going off the top of my head so I'm sure there are more. That's also if you really want to qualify Donuts as a center, which is a stretch. He's barely at 30% career from 3. I really like this signing, but let's not go overboard in our praise for him.
    Love it.

Quote Originally Posted by AUSSIE_PELICAN View Post
    Love it.
    Haha I believe that's what the Rockets fans called him. Makes it a lot easier

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!!
    Quote Originally Posted by Nola3 View Post
    Motiejunas is more of a center than some of these players you've listed here. His shooting range is above average for a 7 footer, that's not going overboard by any means.

Thread Information