Pelicans Report

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Time To Start Buddy...

Bender,Chris, Murray are freshmen. They still have the body of teenagers.
    We are not asking him to be the main option on offense, neither some contested 3's like Pierce or Allen.

We need him to be a 2nd option, and hit OPEN SHOOTS. you can critize gentry/demps all you want, but Buddy is getting quality shoots. Right now, i have more confidence in Lance jumper than Buddy. Its not in&out, he's shooting huge bricks !

Collisson produce great numbers as soon as cp3 went down with injury a few year ago. You could clearly see he was a senior.

We need him now, if we thinking 2/3 years ahead their was better options...
    Last edited by Hornetsfan41; 11-05-2016 at 04:33 AM.

I agree. Buddy needs to start hitting his shots, he's getting great looks. Good thing is he doesn't look nervous anymore, just in a slump. He looks great out there but the shots aren't falling.

Banned
    Stop saying shoots, please it's shots

It looks like the ones he's missing he's thinking it too much, all the ones he's hit have been the quick release he had in college. The other ones seem to have a longer release and they are the ones that are missing

Quote Originally Posted by Hornetsfan41 View Post
    Bender,Chris, Murray are freshmen. They still have the body of teenagers.
    We are not asking him to be the main option on offense, neither some contested 3's like Pierce or Allen.

We need him to be a 2nd option, and hit OPEN SHOOTS. you can critize gentry/demps all you want, but Buddy is getting quality shoots. Right now, i have more confidence in Lance jumper than Buddy. Its not in&out, he's shooting huge bricks !

Collisson produce great numbers as soon as cp3 went down with injury a few year ago. You could clearly see he was a senior.

We need him now, if we thinking 2/3 years ahead their was better options...
    Being a freshman or senior has zero impact when it comes down to hitting shots. Currently he is shooting at a rate which is comparable to the rest of the team which isn't great at the moment, but do you honestly expect him to hit at such a low clip for the rest of the year? Look at what he was doing in preseason which was only a couple of weeks ago, his slump will pass.

Banned
    I don't know where the narrative came from that if you are 22 when you enter the NBA then you should be producing like a starter but it needs to stop.

A Soulful Sports Fan Contributor Eman5805's Avatar
    If AD weren't playing and Hield were starting, I bet he'd average over 16 a game.

He'd shoot a very lousy percentage, but he'd get shots up and make them.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Eman5805 View Post
    If AD weren't playing and Hield were starting, I bet he'd average over 16 a game.

He'd shoot a very lousy percentage, but he'd get shots up and make them.
    That sounds like purgatory to me

Banned
    Buddy may be 6'5 but he plays like one of the smallest 6'5s I've ever seen. Gets blocked on every layup.

Let's hope more experience can help him there.

Booker is only one inch taller, but you rarely ever see him get blocked, and he always finishes pretty much when driving or at least draws a foul

Quote Originally Posted by Lelicans View Post
    Buddy may be 6'5 but he plays like one of the smallest 6'5s I've ever seen. Gets blocked on every layup.

Let's hope more experience can help him there.

Booker is only one inch taller, but you rarely ever see him get blocked, and he always finishes pretty much when driving or at least draws a foul
    Guys who are 6'1" or shorter can finish layups in traffic. It's all about angles. Creating space.

Banned
    Buddy will be Reddick or Beal

He won't be Jaylen Brown

Quote Originally Posted by Eman5805 View Post
    Guys who are 6'1" or shorter can finish layups in traffic. It's all about angles. Creating space.
    Yeah like Curry. I will never forget that series when he made all them flip shots over AD, I could not understand how he was doing that.

I like easing him into the NBA. I bet he's starting by game 25-30 or atleast logging start minutes. I think it's time we clean house in the FO and the staff on the bench. Gentry and Erman have been nothing short of a disaster. Gentry is not HC material and it's showing. Great asst for offense but nothing more. Demps?? Don't get me started I'm done sounding like a broken record but he should've been gone 2 years ago if we had any kind of competence in upper management.

Quote Originally Posted by HoustonPelicans View Post
    Yeah like Curry. I will never forget that series when he made all them flip shots over AD, I could not understand how he was doing that.
    Curry is an anomaly and not the norm. Dudes just flat out amazing and a once in a generation type player for his size. Gotta give credit where credit is due. Curry playing with Davis would be something to behold.

The Franchise Contributor luigi modelo's Avatar
    Antonio Daniels spoke well of Buddy after last nights game on the post game show. He basically reaffirmed the difficulty in transitioning to the NBA from college and that easing Heild into the NBA flow is wise, as opposed to just throwing him in there and hoping for the best. Daniels went on to say that he wished he had never set foot on the court his rookie season, so that he could learn by watching seasoned pros do their thing on a nightly basis. I thought that it was a good piece of insight coming from an accomplished pro. I know that there are people who just want to throw Buddy out there, but it seems that the patient approach is appropriate.

Which echoes why I think sending Buddy to the D-League wouldn't help him. He doesn't have flaws in his shot or his actual game. He needs experience and time.

Saint Pelican of Mile High Contributor DefensiveMind's Avatar
    If Buddy doesn't spend extended time in the D League then we are setting him up to fail. This kid is overwhelmed both mentally and physically and if the Pels don't do something now then they might as well find the NBA obituarys for Adam Morrison and Jimmer Fredette and just the change the name. It's that serious.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by DefensiveMind View Post
    If Buddy doesn't spend extended time in the D League then we are setting him up to fail. This kid is overwhelmed both mentally and physically and if the Pels don't do something now then they might as well find the NBA obituarys for Adam Morrison and Jimmer Fredette and just the change the name. It's that serious.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Agreed. Don't start him, but don't let him rust either. Having he and Chick play 1 min last night, what was that good for? "Hey guys look! You can get on the court a min before the press does." Find a way to carve out 5-6 min a game for him, or start trading guys (once Reke comes back) so you aren't wasting developmental time for your rookie.
    If you Jimmer it, they will come.

Because of his shot not falling you can tell he is overwhelmed both mentally and physically?

Seeing how he played in college, and seeing how he has played in limited time here, he certainly isn't comfortable, and that is both a mental and physical thing. He needs more time to get more in the zone.

Buddy doesn't seem overwhelmed; he's shown a better handle and defense than advertised. I remember him blowing a defensive rotation and being immediately benched (even though Moore did the exact same thing on the next play). He just needs consistent minutes to get his rhythm down on offense. I don't think the D-League would benefit him much, it's not like he's a teenager who needs to put on weight, he has an NBA body now.

If his issue is with confidence, how in the world is making him the only lottery pick sent down to D-League going to help?

Stop. Panicking.

The NBA season is very, very long. Let the man work this out. No better place for him to be than in practices surrounded by experienced NBA players. Assuming the best case scenario occurs, he goes down to D-League, drops 40 or whatever...then he comes back up the NBA...

And he's still got bigger, stronger, faster, and smarter players than where he was, just like in college, and he has to learn how to best players on a different level.

I not only don't see how it's worth it, I don't even think Gentry has considered it.

The NBADL isn't outter darkness or anything. Many of the guys playing in the NBADL are guys who will be playing in the NBA as well. It is a way to keep these guys from rusting.

I am not sure why we are messing with his mins is all. Keep him at his current avg. around 16 min a game, and let him keep adjusting. Yanking him around wont help.

The Franchise Contributor luigi modelo's Avatar
    I don't think Buddy is overwhelmed, and he definitely should not go to D-League. I agree with Eman and would place money that the idea of him going to D-League has not even been considered.

is it weird that i'm not worried about buddy? it doesn't feel like austin rivers struggles. Austin was turnover prone and i never believed austins shots had a chance to go in, especially at the rim.

a lot of buddies shots from deep and mid range are good shots and shots he hit in college. I think it will come and isn't as much of a cause for concern as i felt in summer league when he couldn't get separation but he was also the focus of three defenders. He wasn't great when he got to college but he worked his tail off and adjusted his game. I don't expect this to be any different but he needs to play to get through it. Game scenarios are the only way he'll grow IMO. Makes me think Gentry's on the hot seat which is the only reason to explain not playing a rookie on a 7-12 team

I have been saying giving Buddy minutes isn't going to just speed up the process. He simply needs time to learn the game and schemes which are completely different then what he did in college. Having him on the court like a deer in the headlights is going to do nothing but likely set him back further just killing his confidence. Let him grow and continue to improve while slowly transitioning him to the NBA. I wanna see him play as much as anybody but that doesn't mean it's best for him or this team. I think Gentry and the rest of the staff have forgotten more basketball then anybody here who is beating the table for "more minutes!!" lol. These coaches see him every single day while we see him for a hand full of minutes that have not looked very good. Like the thousands and thousands of players who needed time to turn into very good or even star NBA players we just simply need to be patient and let Buddy do the same.

Thread Information