Pelicans Report

Page 32 of 33 FirstFirst ... 22 28 29 30 31 32 33 LastLast

Thread: Race for 8 Duel Game Thread: OKC @ IND; NOP @ HOU

Quote Originally Posted by Asteptooslow View Post
    That is the nba
    Sadly true. Just goes to show why the two most hated teams in the NBA are the Clippers and Rockets.

I'm sorry but Asik is weak. He's a very good rebounder but nothing else.

Quote Originally Posted by DefensiveMind View Post
    Yes the refs screwed us... Gimme a break...team scored 121 on us led by the fearsome trio of Josh Smith, Corey Brewer , and Jason Terry. This team has zero fight. They looked the same up 10 as down 10. Our MVP plays no D. The only reason this wasnt a blowout of epic proportions a la Memphis was because we hit shots. Thats not fight. Thats skill. And no one has ever doubted our skill. The biggest game of our season with our opponent on the ropes and we couldnt muster anything defensively for the 2nd game in a row.
    Exactly.

Yes the refs screwed us... Gimme a break...team scored 121 on us led by the fearsome trio of Josh Smith, Corey Brewer , and Jason Terry. This team has zero fight. They looked the same up 10 as down 10. Our MVP plays no D. The only reason this wasnt a blowout of epic proportions a la Memphis was because we hit shots. Thats not fight. Thats skill. And no one has ever doubted our skill. The biggest game of our season with our opponent on the ropes and we couldnt muster anything defensively for the 2nd game in a row.
    While I agree I think it was the refs that really changed how we could defend them. When every call goes against you it changes what you attempt to do.

Same on offense. How many times did Asik, AD get hacked and nothing? Hard to keep driving into punches to the face like that.

This loss goes on everyone including the coach and AD. AD is not right, there's no aggressiveness like earlier in the year. Coach Monty leaves a hurt Tyreke in the game while a championship experienced point guard rots on the bench. Tyreke turned the ball over 4 times during the crucial stretch that Houston took the lead and looked tired. The Pelicans are going to get gang raped playing the Warriors as long as they have this coaching staff. I wish I could see it differently, but we may get swept. To top it off we have no 1st round pick AGAIN.

Quote Originally Posted by luckyman View Post
    Hopefully Lillard and Batum plays and Westbrook has to sit.
    Did Westbrook do something in the game?

Quote Originally Posted by Pelicans_fan_504 View Post
    Did Westbrook do something in the game?
    Got his 16th tech..automatic 1 game suspension

Quote Originally Posted by kclaboy504 View Post
    Got his 16th tech..automatic 1 game suspension
    I just saw that, the league will take it away tomorrow because of reasons lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Mythrol View Post
    You keep naming specific defensive break downs by Ryno but Asik got abused on 4 out of 5 plays to start the 3rd. It's not about ignoring 1/3 to end it. Dude was hot in the 1st half and when no one is giving you anything on defense you might as well play the bigger offensive threat. It wasn't a bad call on Monty's part.
    Situations change and you have to adjust. The Pelicans forced almost exclusively jump shots to start the game. Look at the shot chart. And up until Asik left. Around 5 minutes left the Rockets began to attack the paint.

• Smith starts by abusing Ryno in the pick and roll and gets an easy 2. Then Ryno turns the ball over on a double dribble the next possession.
    • The next Offensive possession for the Rockets Harden gets an easy lay up driving right toward Ryno who was the help defender and just backed away. Score is now 43-48. Then the QPon eye play happens and the lead is down to 2.
    • Then the next rockets possession is a fast break and Ryno is late to help in the paint on Harden and lets him just drive past him and Harden gets an easy lay in. Score is tied.
    • The very next houston possession Harden blows past ryno AGAIN on a pick and roll but thankfully Davis helps quick and slides over and forces Harden to pass the ball and then steals the ball.
    • Next Possession. Pick and roll again and AGAIN Ryno lets the roll man(Smith) get an easy trip to the bucket but Davis made a heads up play and knocked the ball from the side of the smith drive and forced another turnover.
    • Next play they pick and roll against Davis and Davis forces a miss, Rockets get the ball and go directly at Howard on Ryno on the block and get 2 easy points after he backed him down almost to the hoop.
    • Ryno then takes a bad long contested three.

Thats it for ryno. Next defensive play didn't involve and Ajinca got substituted in for some reason.

Again, I'm not knocking Ryno, I am knocking monty for putting him in that situation and not recognizing the Rockets found something they were exploiting and not adjusting. He stuck to his standard lineup in the face of the Rockets abusing that to their own success.
    Last edited by N.O.Bronco; 04-12-2015 at 08:57 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Pelicans_fan_504 View Post
    I just saw that, the league will take it away tomorrow because of reasons lol.
    Yep. I'd be shocked if they didn't rescind it.

Quote Originally Posted by sterlr View Post
    This loss goes on everyone including the coach and AD. AD is not right, there's no aggressiveness like earlier in the year. Coach Monty leaves a hurt Tyreke in the game while a championship experienced point guard rots on the bench. Tyreke turned the ball over 4 times during the crucial stretch that Houston took the lead and looked tired. The Pelicans are going to get gang raped playing the Warriors as long as they have this coaching staff. I wish I could see it differently, but we may get swept. To top it off we have no 1st round pick AGAIN.
    He has been playing a lot better - mechanically speaking - defensively. I think that, plus teams double teaming him, has come at the expense of his offense a bit.

I think if nothing else these poor performances from Evans will give Monty a justification for putting Evans back on the bench where I think he is better suited long term.

Hey, any chance of some positivity after a loss? That Jrue guy looked pretty good.

Long term view, having him back will make such a huge difference. Playoffs or not, we should be pumped that he is back and playing well.
    @mcnamara247

Quote Originally Posted by N.O.Bronco View Post
    Situations change and you have to adjust. The Pelicans forced almost exclusively jump shots to start the game. Look at the shot chart. And up until Asik left. Around 5 minutes left the Rockets began to attack the paint.

• Smith starts by abusing Ryno in the pick and roll and gets an easy 2. Then Ryno turns the ball over on a double dribble the next possession.
    • The next Offensive possession for the Rockets Harden gets an easy lay up driving right toward Ryno who was the help defender and just backed away. Score is now 43-48. Then the QPon eye play happens and the lead is down to 2.
    • Then the next rockets possession is a fast break and Ryno is late to help in the paint on Harden and lets him just drive past him and Harden gets an easy lay in. Score is tied.
    • The very next houston possession Harden blows past ryno AGAIN on a pick and roll but thankfully Davis helps quick and slides over and forces Harden to pass the ball and then steals the ball.
    • Next Possession. Pick and roll again and AGAIN Ryno lets the roll man(Smith) get an easy trip to the bucket but Davis made a heads up play and knocked the ball from the side of the smith drive and forced another turnover.
    • Next play they pick and roll against Davis and Davis forces a miss, Rockets get the ball and go directly at Howard on Ryno on the block and get 2 easy points after he backed him down almost to the hoop.
    • Ryno then takes a bad long contested three.

Thats it for ryno. Next defensive play didn't involve and Ajinca got substituted in for some reason.

Again, I'm not knocking Ryno, I am knocking monty for putting him in that situation and not recognizing the Rockets found something they were exploiting and not adjusting. He stuck to his standard lineup in the face of the Rockets abusing that to their own success.
    I thought you were done posting about it? Lol.

Now give me the play by play to start the 3rd. We can keep going in circles about this. Monty went with the offensive threat to end the half because no one was stopping Harden. Why on every pick and roll was our guard not slipping it and sticking with Harden? Leaving any of our bigs on Harden was a problem. If you want to complain about something complain about that. Our GUARDS let us down tonight.

When a team literally gets double the foul calls and you can't buy a call it really limits what you can realistically do. Howard got away with everything he wanted after the two fouls and our guards could of gotten punched and not gotten a call.

Any 50/50 call they automatically gave to Houston and on a few clear houston turnovers and goal tends they just blatantly swallowed their whistle.

The play where Gordon drove and got hacked on the arm and no call and five seconds later Brewer drove and got lightly tapped and got 2 FT's. Then Howard camped in the paint for literally over half the shot clock and got nothing. That sequence sums up the game for me.

I thought you were done posting about it? Lol.

Now give me the play by play to start the 3rd. We can keep going in circles about this. Monty went with the offensive threat to end the half because no one was stopping Harden. Why on every pick and roll was our guard not slipping it and sticking with Harden? Leaving any of our bigs on Harden was a problem. If you want to complain about something complain about that. Our GUARDS let us down tonight.
    Harden was 0-3 to start the first quarter and only had 2 points by the time Ryno replaced Asik. Harden made all of his points not on FT's when Ryno was in the lineup and Asik was out. Harden literally scored ZERO points when Asik was in the lineup the first half and only made 2 FT's.

But I guess that lineup couldn't contain him.......

Get out of here with this revisionist bull****.

Ryno got abused down the stretch and Monty dropped the ball by not adjusting. Sorry, its true. He was great at the end of the first and the beginning of the second but as the Rockets adjusted they took it to him and we didn't have a counter punch.
    Last edited by N.O.Bronco; 04-12-2015 at 09:16 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by sterlr View Post
    The Pelicans are going to get gang raped playing the Warriors as long as they have this coaching staff. I wish I could see it differently, but we may get swept.
    Your entire post made sense up until this point. There is no shame in getting "swept" by what appears to be one of the best teams in recent NBA history (with the best home court in NBA history) - I mean come on, 24 out of 29 of the other teams in the league would get "gang raped" by the Warriors in the playoffs.
    "The only thing Ryno stretches is the 0's on the stat sheet." - BallSoHard

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelMcNamara View Post
    Hey, any chance of some positivity after a loss? That Jrue guy looked pretty good.

Long term view, having him back will make such a huge difference. Playoffs or not, we should be pumped that he is back and playing well.
    here's my "let's say we get in" question

do you think Monty takes the minute restriction off Jrue and puts him back in the starting line up?
    "The pelican is fearsome. Take a raven, for example: it's omnivorous. It eats bugs, and seeds, and fruit, and carrion. Compared to the well-rounded citizen that is the raven, the pelican is the serial killer of birds." - Barry Petchesky, Deadspin

Quote Originally Posted by rt0307 View Post
    here's my "let's say we get in" question

do you think Monty takes the minute restriction off Jrue and puts him back in the starting line up?
    I don't think the restriction is coming from Monty.

I don't know what the doctors will allow. But I do know this - the Jrue vs. Tyreke debate should never be a debate again. Never.

Quote Originally Posted by N.O.Bronco View Post
    Harden was 0-3 to start the first quarter and only had 2 points by the time Ryno replaced Asik. Harden made all of his points not on FT's when Ryno was in the lineup and Asik was out. Harden literally scored ZERO points when Asik was in the lineup the first half and only made 2 FT's.

Get out of here with this revisionist bull****.

Ryno got abused down the stretch and Monty dropped the ball by not adjusting. Sorry, its true.
    Harden starting cold is irrelevant. It is clear it was a cold start by him and not some amazing Asik defense because he got abused just like everyone this game.

Where's my recap of the start of the 3rd? Why aren't you mentioning the Asik abused 4 times in 5/6 plays? I've already said the reason Monty did it, he went with the offensive threat.

That didn't even lose us the game. We had a 10 pt lead after that stretch.

1. Keep Jrue on his minutes restriction no matter what. We aren't winning the title and it really isn't worth it to risk him.

2. Is anyone else even a bit worried about tomorrow? Both Davis and Tyreke are clearly not 100 percent, Jrue is going to be playing his first back to back game and it is our 5th game in 7th nights and it is a road game. Even if the Wolves are tanking I am not sure it will be an easy one.

Harden starting cold is irrelevant. It is clear it was a cold start by him and not some amazing Asik defense because he got abused just like everyone this game.

Where's my recap of the start of the 3rd? Why aren't you mentioning the Asik abused 4 times in 5/6 plays? I've already said the reason Monty did it, he went with the offensive threat.

That didn't even lose us the game. We had a 10 pt lead after that stretch.

Because by the third rolled around Harden was on a roll. We allowed him to get into rhythm, get comfortable with the refs. He started the game with asik in the lineup and went 0-3 and only 2 points. He finished the half with 16 points, 14 points in the last 7 minutes when Asik left the lineup. So whatever logic you have with ryno being out there was completely countered by what happened defensively. Monty needed to adjust but he didn't.

You want to talk about the third? Lets go. Harden came out continuing what he built on by attacking Ryno in the second that got him into rhythm but by the time Asik left the lineup the lead was pelicans by 5. That quarter would end with us tied.

Until the fourth quarter Asik left the floor with a Pelicans lead.

The thing is you are sounding like a Jimmer fan at this point with how you are looking to everyone else but Ryno. Cant even admit he was playing poor defense. You just have to falsely assert everyone else was just as bad which isn't true.

But there is really no way to twist this to make it look like a good decision on Monty's part. I can understand going with the offense when Ryno was hitting but as the lead evaporated you have to make an adjustment. Monty decided to stick with his standard late second quarter lineup despite everything pointing to where the problem was and what could likely counter it. We had a formula that was working: Asik in the paint, Davis at the 4 and putting our best defensive guards on Harden. Especially effective with Cole and Jrue.

Maybe you put Asik and Cole/Jrue out there the last 5 minutes and Harden still goes off, but if history was the guide he would of been settling for jumpshots and Howard wouldn't of gotten easy post possessions.
    Last edited by N.O.Bronco; 04-12-2015 at 09:35 PM.

Sorry i have limited access as im in Jamaica.
    Do the Spurs now need to win against us to retain 2nd or is that a lock?

I don't think the restriction is coming from Monty.

I don't know what the doctors will allow. But I do know this - the Jrue vs. Tyreke debate should never be a debate again. Never.
    Why not?

Quote Originally Posted by Perth_Hornet View Post
    Why not?
    Sorry, I mistyped.

Jrue vs. Tyreke shouldn't be a debate for anyone with eyes.

Sorry, I mistyped.

Jrue vs. Tyreke shouldn't be a debate for anyone with eyes.
    MM

Can you pls answer my question from post 797?

Thank you.

Thread Information