Pelicans Report

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Realistic MLE SF Targets

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelMcNamara View Post
    I don't think Pondexter becomes this Pondexter if he stays here. Now, of course I can't prove it, but just a feeling. Getting that winning experience and defensive 'know how' and communication and then bringing it back here is a huge part of why he is helping now.

As for Crowder, I love his profile more than his skill set - though I love that too. I think we need to keep collecting guys who can effect a game w/o scoring and who don't mind it if they never touch the ball.
    I don't know Monty is good at developing players. I could still see QPon being the same quality player if he stayed here. It's hard to gauge player development though.

Quote Originally Posted by da ThRONe View Post
    I don't know Monty is good at developing players. I could still see QPon being the same quality player if he stayed here. It's hard to gauge player development though.
    Monty can develop skill, but no coach can teach a guy how to win or how to step up their game in the playoffs when a team isn't winning or even in the playoffs
    @mcnamara247

Quote Originally Posted by N.O.Bronco View Post
    I'm sure we could parse this out about when we will be contenders or if we will be but my logic with Dudley is that if this team has found a lot of its core and for davis especially, getting guys that have been in the league, know the ins and outs, have veteran knowledge and precense that can be passed down to our inexperienced youth core. Hopefully accelerating that growth. Something that has clearly held us back is not having much if any veteran precense on this team from coach on down that can pull our guys aside and get them to see the things that youthful players tend to miss or ignore.

For instance I loved that on the Lowe podcast they talked about how Dudley is the go to guy for all the young guys in the Bucks organization when the Bucks give out these little scouting tests that also have a bit of league history and basketball fundamentals questions as a way to get players to learn their opponents and the history of the game. Basically he was the go to guy for all the answers. Guy has a great BBIQ. Says he just watched league pass all the time. Constantly scouting teams and just sounded smarter then most supposed experts that spend all day watching and studying the game.

Plus I like his easy going, gets along with everyone, grounded and intelligent demeanor. He would fit in perfectly with the type of character guys we look for.

.....with all that said I understand yours and MM's logic and would be just fine if we went that route and does have the better argument from a longterm perspective.
    You don't have to sell me on Dudley. This is really splitting hairs for me. 1a and 1b doesn't express how close it would be for me 1 aaaaa and 1 aaaab would be a better example.

Monty can develop skill, but no coach can teach a guy how to win or how to step up their game in the playoffs when a team isn't winning or even in the playoffs
    To me experience while important is the least important in player development. Nobody has it until they have it(if that makes any sense). I guess what I'm trying to say is it's the easiest thing to acquire.

Interesting thing with Crowder that we can't know is how Boston feels about him. How much would they match? Would they do a sign and trade to get an exception or maybe a player like Withey?

I don't think he is a long term core piece in their eyes, but they have a ton of room, so they might match an offer if they think he is a future asset.

Dudley would be unrestricted if he opts out. I might go after Crowder first and see if Boston does a S&T for a future 2nd or an exception. If not, and I get the feeling they would match an MLE offer, I would move on to Dudley

Interesting thing with Crowder that we can't know is how Boston feels about him. How much would they match? Would they do a sign and trade to get an exception or maybe a player like Withey?

I don't think he is a long term core piece in their eyes, but they have a ton of room, so they might match an offer if they think he is a future asset.

Dudley would be unrestricted if he opts out. I might go after Crowder first and see if Boston does a S&T for a future 2nd or an exception. If not, and I get the feeling they would match an MLE offer, I would move on to Dudley
    So, if you land one of the two....would you start them ?

Quote Originally Posted by SaintPelican225 View Post
    So, if you land one of the two....would you start them ?
    That is a decision you make after training camp. Not now IMO.

But as I have said a million times, starting doesn't matter nearly as much as minutes and finishing

Qpon has been good for what he is, a 8th man that can be a vocal guy in the lockerroom and plays both sides of the ball at an above average rate. Dudley would easily start over him. He is the better offensive player, just as good defensively, higher IQ and would bring even more veteran leadership to the floor.

Maybe my assessment will change with more time with Qpon as starter but if he that good then why would we even bother using the MLE on a guy to sit behind him?

Crowder I can't speak as much on but I think he is a better player then Qpon from what I have seen.

To me the real question isn't whether Qpon starts(I don't think he does) it's whether we keep Cunningham if we sign a guy like Dudley or crowder. At that point Cunningham becomes a guy with mostly DNP unless injuries hit.
    Last edited by N.O.Bronco; 03-01-2015 at 12:57 PM.

Realistic MLE SF Targets

I don't think we need a SF

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    SIGN A SF

Realistic MLE SF Targets

This is my concern for both of them. With Dudley I originally believed he would opt out because, you know, the Bucks. But listening to the podcast he credits them with turning his entire career around. Combine that with the giant cap spike if he stays one more year he has A LOT of incentive to stay one more year.

Crowder is a good young asset for a rebuilding team that has a ton of cap. I don't see they just letting him walk, especially for the MLE. That's not how Ainge works. He's going to want assets or he will just match and go into the cap spike with an awesome deal on a starter level SF.

So what do they take for him? Could we sell them on a 2nd and Cunningham or Babbitt? Or are they going to want Ajinca and do you do it?

Btw, Crowder is shooting 35% from 3pt on the year.
    Last edited by Mythrol; 03-01-2015 at 01:33 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Mythrol View Post
    This is my concern for both of them. With Dudley I originally believed he would opt out because, you know, the Bucks. But listening to the podcast he credits them with turning his entire career around. Combine that with the giant cap spike if he stays one more year he has A LOT of incentive to stay one more year.

Crowder is a good young asset for a rebuilding team that has a ton of cap. I don't see they just letting him walk, especially for the MLE. That's not how Ainge works. He's going to want assets or he will just match and go into the cap spike with an awesome deal on a starter level SF.

So what do they take for him? Could we sell them on a 2nd and Cunningham or Babbitt? Or are they going to want Ajinca and do you do it?

Btw, Crowder is shooting 35% from 3pt on the year.
    I actually got the impression that Dudley is pretty sure he is going to test the market based on the podcast.

Lowe asked at the end(paraphrasing) are you more likely to re-sign with the Bucks now then you were to start the season? And his response was yea, definitely I am more interested now. I like that my voice gets heard here as a veteran whereas in a place like LAC it got drowned out because I was one in a sea of veterans. But then he made a pretty concerted effort to show impartiality. Obviously from a business perspective that makes sense but why even entertain the idea you are not sure if you aren't indicating you are at the minimum opting out?

To me I got the impression that opting out was a foregone conclusion but leaving the Bucks wasn't.

The other thing with Dudley and likely opting out is if he chooses to opt in, what would his role be when that team is healthy? Jabari, Greek Freak and Middleton seem to be their guys.

Whereas opting out he has the opportunity to sign back with the Bucks if he wants but he can find a more advantageous place like here where he would start and still get the luxury of being a veteran voice that he seems to covet.

Stay in contract another year with the Bucks and your playing time will likely drop, you risk re-aggrivating that knee and while you may qualify for more money next offseason due to the cap increase it is a pretty big risk.
    Last edited by N.O.Bronco; 03-01-2015 at 01:47 PM.

Realistic MLE SF Targets

I actually got the impression that Dudley is pretty sure he is going to test the market based on the podcast.

Lowe asked at the end(paraphrasing) are you more likely to re-sign with the Bucks now then you were to start the season? And his response was yea, definitely I am more interested now. I like that my voice gets heard here as a veteran whereas in a place like LAC it got drowned out because I was one in a sea of veterans. But then he made a pretty concerted effort to show impartiality. Obviously from a business perspective that makes sense but why even entertain the idea you are not sure if you aren't indicating you are at the minimum opting out?

To me I got the impression that opting out was a foregone conclusion but leaving the Bucks wasn't.
    Possibly so. I had to go back and listen to the end of it to see his response and I just took it to mean that he fully expected to opt out going into the season and now he might not.

One point that was mentioned that I didn't think about was how he really wouldn't have gotten a chance if not for injuries so what happens next year when they are healthy again? If he expects to have a diminished role next year he very well might opt out and strike while he has been putting up very good numbers.

Edit: I see we both had the same thought with the injuries.
    Last edited by Mythrol; 03-01-2015 at 01:56 PM.

Possibly so. I had to go back and listen to the end of it to see his response and I just took it to mean that he fully expected to opt out going into the season and now he might not.

One point that was mentioned that I didn't think about was how he really wouldn't have gotten a chance if not for injuries so what happens next year when they are healthy again? If he expects to have a diminished role next year he very well might opt out and strike while he has been putting up very good numbers.
    Yep, that is my thinking. MCW, Jabari, Middleton and Greek Freak seem to be their guys going forward. So where does Dudley fit in?

I mean if I were him, playing like he has, knowing my role will diminish and I could find as good or better of a situation, I would opt out.

Yep, that is my thinking. MCW, Jabari, Middleton and Greek Freak seem to be their guys going forward. So where does Dudley fit in?

I mean if I were him, playing like he has, knowing my role will diminish and I could find as good or better of a situation, I would opt out.
    I definitely think this makes Dudley a more viable option than Crowder.

We know Dell likes RFAs and he does have a decent relationship with Ainge (They were sitting together for our last game against them the day after the QPon trade), but I just wonder what it would cost us.

I definitely think this makes Dudley a more viable option than Crowder.

We know Dell likes RFAs and he does have a decent relationship with Ainge (They were sitting together for our last game against them the day after the QPon trade), but I just wonder what it would cost us.
    Yeah I don't know what Ainge's rebuilding angle is. I mean i know he is accumulating draft picks and cap space but I couldn't say who he seemingly values on that roster outside of a handful of obvious ones.

I don't think he is realistic, that's why I didn't put him on the list. If the most we can offer is the MLE, someone will offer him more and/or Milwaukee would match without blinking
    Agreed he will get paid but we might have cap space. In terms of D&3 there isn't a better option
    Last edited by speedyG; 03-01-2015 at 02:16 PM.

I like Crowder, but I don't think Boston will let him go. Don't look now, but Boston is on the fringe of the playoffs. They want to keep Stevens happy, and gritty guys like Crowder who get the job done will do that.

I think Dudley would be ideal based on his skill set and locker room potential. I have heard nothing but good things about him, an underrated attribute that would be nice for the Pelicans to take advantage off.

Qpon has been good for what he is, a 8th man that can be a vocal guy in the lockerroom and plays both sides of the ball at an above average rate. Dudley would easily start over him. He is the better offensive player, just as good defensively, higher IQ and would bring even more veteran leadership to the floor.

Maybe my assessment will change with more time with Qpon as starter but if he that good then why would we even bother using the MLE on a guy to sit behind him?

Crowder I can't speak as much on but I think he is a better player then Qpon from what I have seen.

To me the real question isn't whether Qpon starts(I don't think he does) it's whether we keep Cunningham if we sign a guy like Dudley or crowder. At that point Cunningham becomes a guy with mostly DNP unless injuries hit.
    I think QPon could still be growing. Until now he hasn't really had a chance at consistent playing time and a chance to develop as a starter

Quote Originally Posted by speedyG View Post
    I think QPon could still be growing. Until now he hasn't really had a chance at consistent playing time and a chance to develop as a starter
    Maybe so. Despite the adoration people have for him his numbers look about the same as his average over the last few years. Second best career FG% but other then that he is around his average by per 36 standards. Those are numbers i would want to be better in a starter and wouldn't put my starting position on a hope and a prayer when guys that are out there right now can be had and are what we hope Q-pon can develop into.

I like Q-pon and compared to what i thought when we traded for him I would like to keep him around as a backup SF/SG. I just don't think he is a starter on a deep playoff team at this time. Dudley on the other hand I could.

Quote Originally Posted by Tomdda View Post
    Which brings up a question I'd like to ask. Dell has gone out of his way, to the point of being nearly ridiculed (by some at the 4-letter network), to trade away draft picks for "young veterans". What on earth would make some of you think that he would then turn around and trade one of his core players (one of the aforementioned young veterans) for a draft pick(s)? This is not a rhetorical question.
    I can't speak for others but I can speak for myself. What a gm says and what a gm does are two different things. If the right offer is there I dont think anyone but AD is off the table (as it should be).

The reason I would like to move Ryno is because he is a luxory. He is coming back from injury, and next year is the final year of his contract. If you can move him for a top 5 draft pick you do it. That draft pick will be much cheaper than Anderson, and will be on a favorable contract well after Ryno is gone. Lots of cap space. That top 5 draft pick could be a bust, or he could be a legit bench player (like Ryno was when he wasn't injured). For me it just makes sense. I doubt it happens, but it makes sense.

What I would love to do (but is less likely) is move a combo of Ryno/Reke/Gordon for a top 5 SF. Seeing as how there aren't any on the market, I believe it's an even longer of a shot than moving Ryno for a top 5 pick.
    If you Jimmer it, they will come.

What about Wilson Chandler? Doesn't he have a team option or player option this offseason? I could see both opting out.

Quote Originally Posted by iNolaNightmare View Post
    What about Wilson Chandler? Doesn't he have a team option or player option this offseason? I could see both opting out.
    And if this was a SF thread, I would agree. But it is a 'SF for the MLE' thread. I personally don't think he is gettable for that price, but I guess you never know.

Even still, I would take Crowder and Dudley over him.

I used to be pretty high on Chandler but I have cooled off after watching him more and digging into his numbers.

TBH I honestly would take Dudley over him. 2 years older but I think he brings better numbers, better efficiency, is a better fit and has better intangibles.

And if this was a SF thread, I would agree. But it is a 'SF for the MLE' thread. I personally don't think he is gettable for that price, but I guess you never know.

Even still, I would take Crowder and Dudley over him.
    I've always liked Crowder. Didn't understand why he fell so far in the draft. I think he could be as good as Draymond Green potentially.

Thread Information