Pelicans Report

View Poll Results: Has the Asik experiment failed?

Voters
89. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

22 24.72%
  • No

67 75.28%
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Thread: Has the Asik experiment failed?

The Franchise Contributor luigi modelo's Avatar
    He played excellent defense tonight, and he did things well that don't show up on the stat sheet

The Franchise Contributor luigi modelo's Avatar
    His minutes are what they are due to the fact that Anderson is the preferred option for most of the 4th quarter minutes. Sometimes, due to certain matchups, he gets some good run in the 4th. So, he's actually pretty effective for his minutes. Plus, the way he follows and stays with players is excellent and that is something that isn't a stat. And, another aspect of his game that gives me comfort is that he is a good foul shooter for a big guy. I do wish he had better hands, but I've noticed improvement there as well. Honestly, I think that this team just needs more time together and everyone's game will go to the next level, including Asik's.

Quote Originally Posted by BallSoHard View Post
    Simple question, yes or no and support your answer.
    Simple question maybe, but the answer isn't simple. How much does he get on his next contract. For $8 million he's a decent 3rd big, for $12 million you start to get into paying a guy too much that you won't play at crunch time. I also wonder how much better he can get. Will his hands get better? Probably not. But I think he can improve his strength and fitness to the point that maybe he doesn't get the ball taken away from him. Added strength and fitness might also let him finish better in traffic, one of his big flaws. He's a big guy but he's not ripped by any means.

Even if you get modest improvement and a cheap price, I think the guards get him enough open looks that you have to at least try and find a guy that brings enough defense but can finish. That may not exist in our price range, but if you can get what Asik brings on defense/rebounding plus the 6 or so easy points he leaves on the table every night between blocked shots, blown catches and rebounds, this team is hard to beat.

Ajinca > Asik

Emeka Okafor - Joe Smith - Carmelo Anthony - Manu Ginobili - Jason Williams

Al Jefferson - James Posey - Aaron McKie - Shaun Livingston

People REALLY are discrediting the "team" part of defense. 40% of our starting lineup tonight weren't on this team at the start of the year. Have been with the team for 2 months. The guy who we are relying on as a backup Pg has played 2 games for us. HALF the team that played tonight has been with us less than a year.

With the huge amount of turnover we've had on this roster and so many new guys having to be told where to go because of not knowing defensive sets, exactly what are we expecting from our defense? Our top 6 players only having 13 games together so far this season and maybe for the entire season that's all we will get.

Trying to pin our defense not improving "enough" on Asik is very silly.

Quote Originally Posted by pelicanblaze View Post
    it not only not working here
    it didn't work for him with the rockets there a head coach that know how to play def.
    oh yes it didn't work for at the bulls and there another def. minded coach
    so let make it 3 for 3 with our so call def coach
    i.m sure they can spend the money we save on another pg if we keep this coaching staff
    and play without a center
    You edited yet that's not English

If Omer continues to play 30+ mins, he starts consecutive doubles-doubles and everybody will become happy for his stats (I do not know this is good or bad for the team, it is for sure good for Omer and his morale)

Omer does what he has to do defensively . He has to do a better job on the other side . But I'm satisfied with his performance so far .

Wait, Davis is on the shelf again...
    Where's all the "Has the Davis Experiment Failed?" threads??/

Fans be like.....

He's not an all-star.... He sucks... He's not doing what I want him to do... He sucks get him out of here....lol

Asik is not an "Experiment" and no he hasn't failed.

Quote Originally Posted by oasik View Post
    If Omer continues to play 30+ mins, he starts consecutive doubles-doubles and everybody will become happy for his stats (I do not know this is good or bad for the team, it is for sure good for Omer and his morale)
    He got an efficient double double tonight because he got foul calls. I'm not saying they weren't deserved, but he gets hacked every game and rarely gets the call.

Good vantage sports article on Asik's rim protection http://www.vantagesports.com/#story/...rim-protectors

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! Tinman's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by BP225 View Post
    He got an efficient double double tonight because he got foul calls. I'm not saying they weren't deserved, but he gets hacked every game and rarely gets the call.
    He was the only LOW POST defensive player in the game! Toronto goes 7'0", 6'10, & 6'9" (BIG BODIES) against OA, a skinny 6'9" DC & a skinny 6'6" Q-pon ! So, tell me> 14 & 10, 2 blocks, 4-6 shooting, 60% FT & a huge cover on Lowry to cinch the game. Plus, he had to cover the Guards that Evans & Gordon were o'layin . Kudos to the Turkman!

This is a tiered and layered kind of question/answer

Is he the missing piece to our defense? No
    Has he helped us to be better defensively? Yes
    Can he be a great offesnsive guy? No
    Can he be efficient offesnsively and set picks, clean up boards, put backs? TBD
    Can he be the center of a defensive lineup? Yes
    Can we build around him and keep him? Yes

I think Asik didn't get us "the jump" we wanted in stats but to be fair we haven't had a constant lineup all year with our better defenders all healthy to use that metric, im sure MM or someone has done some breakdowns of our defensive efficiency and you'd see we are much better defensively when hes around

Small sample size i think Asik has "caught" the ball better at the Rim lately and finished better and we could take a 14.5 pts, 10.3rb, 1 blk, 2 assist state line all day if he could stay at this pace and play efficient in his 30 mins.
    The Only way to get ahead is to get started.....What you waiting for!

Quote Originally Posted by ajrochel View Post

I think Asik didn't get us "the jump" we wanted in stats but to be fair we haven't had a constant lineup all year with our better defenders all healthy to use that metric, im sure MM or someone has done some breakdowns of our defensive efficiency and you'd see we are much better defensively when hes around

Small sample size i think Asik has "caught" the ball better at the Rim lately and finished better and we could take a 14.5 pts, 10.3rb, 1 blk, 2 assist state line all day if he could stay at this pace and play efficient in his 30 mins.
    1) I think he is the missing defensive piece> when we are healthy ! He doesnt need the ball & not here for that ! We have 4 ball hogs.
    2) Agree
    3) Agree, but adequate rim loiterer!
    4) He does that now & is improving immensely on his P & R's ! Becoming more aggressive & attacking the rim.
    5) Agree
    6) Agree

BIg time #3 aquisition is the missing piece. NoCo is gonna pay huge dividends . He may become Robin !

Pass-First Point Center Caffeinedisastr's Avatar
    Asik catches Cole bounce pass and makes me jump off the couch:

http://www.nba.com/video/games/pelic...nop-play4.nba/

He's tough to watch trying to catch the ball, but less frustrating than watching Ajenca throw the ball away to nobody after he gets the rebound. I saw some amazing goofs out of those two last night, but they give what they can and contributed to the win.
    I still think the dance team should be the Tail-feathers.

Quote Originally Posted by Tinman View Post
    1) I think he is the missing defensive piece> when we are healthy ! He doesnt need the ball & not here for that ! We have 4 ball hogs.
    2) Agree
    3) Agree, but adequate rim loiterer!
    4) He does that now & is improving immensely on his P & R's ! Becoming more aggressive & attacking the rim.
    5) Agree
    6) Agree

BIg time #3 aquisition is the missing piece. NoCo is gonna pay huge dividends . He may become Robin !
    NoCo is like (MM might roll his eyes) a rich mans Brian Roberts, he is much better defensively but remember when we would have Roberts come in with the second unit and start the 4th Qtr and just score score score...Cole is that plus alot!

Maybe a bad example but you get the point! Cole is the truth, leader, and should stay with us!

NoCo is like (MM might roll his eyes) a rich mans Brian Roberts, he is much better defensively but remember when we would have Roberts come in with the second unit and start the 4th Qtr and just score score score...Cole is that plus alot!

Maybe a bad example but you get the point! Cole is the truth, leader, and should stay with us!
    Shoot, he will get top priority, other than AD years end. H ewill be comparably cheap, also. He's not going anywhere. He was the missing GUARD piece. Jrue,Reke,EG & NoCo. Nice rotation.

Just out of curiosity, if the rest of these questions and be definitively answered, why is this one TBD?

The argument about Asik always leaves out the most important things:

What does he cost to retain?
    What are our other options?
    What is their cost?

People can scream about this or that with regard to letting him go, but who are you confident you can get to replace them and what is their cost?
    @mcnamara247

Pass-First Point Center Caffeinedisastr's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by MichaelMcNamara View Post

What is their cost?

People can scream about this or that with regard to letting him go, but who are you confident you can get to replace them and what is their cost?
    I'm not even confident that we can keep Asik at this point. I think teams will be throwing money at these FA Centers.
    Our only hope is to convince him to resign before free agency begins. If not, we may lose him.

Asik has been beasting last few games

I don't know if the AD effect has hit him or not. If he can be consistent at this then it hasn't failed. I still wouldn't give him a big contract based off the total body of work this year.

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelMcNamara View Post

What is their cost?

AD despises playing the #5. I would pay OA 8-10 to keep him. Wont find a better serviceable starting #5 for less. I would re-sign OA & try and move Anderson. Last year of contract in 16 & Babbitt is cheaper. Go Get a Game changing #3 ! Anderson injury prone & less than 35% from 3. I can find someone to do that for less than 8 mill. ! O wait, we already have a guy that fits that description. I'll take a Difference making #3 & Babbitt over Anderson & DC/Q-pon anyday.

FA Centers, just so people know:

Marc Gasol (good luck getting him)
    DeAndre Jordon (Maybe, if you give him the max, which is 70% more than Asik will likely cost)
    Tyson Chandler (will be 33 and in 13th season)
    Robin Lopez (Portland will want to keep and will likely cost more than Asik)
    Enes Kanter (We've been through this)
    Al Jefferson (if he opts out. Too old? Defense? Cost?)
    Greg Monroe (cost? Can he play Center?)
    Kosta Koufos (maybe we can get him for 70% of Asik cost)
    Roy Hibbert (if he opts out. Cost?)
    Brook Lopez (if he opts out? Cost?)

Of all these guys, I think only Koufos costs less. Only Monroe is more likely to choose NOLA over all other options if money is equal or close.

So, who would you choose?

Quote Originally Posted by Davisistheman View Post
    Just out of curiosity, if the rest of these questions and be definitively answered, why is this one TBD?
    oh sorry lol, i feel like the answer is NO but the last few games have me really confused...like why is it seemingly doing all that stuff now.

Thread Information