Pelicans Report

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Nate Wolters close to signing 10 day deal with Pelicans

Quote Originally Posted by AUSSIE_PELICAN View Post
    Before the Q-Pon trade It would have worked, but we took on more salary.

You said it yourself:

Mo Williams
    CJ Watson
    Jameer Nelson
    Luke Ridnoir

In that order. Offer Salmons and the 2nd for any of those guys.

Now we have to offer Withey too.

Forget it.
    under $9.8 mill trades, we can only accept salary of 150% plus $100k

Quote Originally Posted by AUSSIE_PELICAN View Post
    Before the Q-Pon trade It would have worked, but we took on more salary.

You said it yourself:

Mo Williams
    CJ Watson
    Jameer Nelson
    Luke Ridnoir

In that order. Offer Salmons and the 2nd for any of those guys.

Now we have to offer Withey too.

Forget it.
    Nah, we always did. Check other threads - I said Withey too. But people didn't want to move him and we were debating about Withey vs. Ajinca, and yada, yada, yada so I just dropped it. But we would have to include more than Salmons before the trade and after the Q-Pon trade to land Mo. Like I said, at least 2.4 million. Actually, 2.47, but who's counting
    @mcnamara247

Quote Originally Posted by SaintPelican225 View Post
    Flip has indicated he likes Wolters, but doesn't have room...Dell has to find a way to deliver Wolters to Minny
    I gotta make sure, but I am 99.9% sure we can't sign a guy to a 10-day contract and then trade him. Or even if we gave Wolters a contract for the rest of the year, we would have to wait 30 days.

My thinking is that the Wolves won't move Mo until Rubio comes back and shows he is healthy. Then they will shop him. So, why not pick up Wolters in the meantime? That is what I am hoping at least

Well look at the bright side, CJ Watson and Mo Williams will be free agents next season....

Well look at the bright side, CJ Watson and Mo Williams will be free agents next season....
    And we might have a 2nd round pick. We can get someone like Shannon Scott or Marcus Paige!

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelMcNamara View Post
    I gotta make sure, but I am 99.9% sure we can't sign a guy to a 10-day contract and then trade him. Or even if we gave Wolters a contract for the rest of the year, we would have to wait 30 days.

My thinking is that the Wolves won't move Mo until Rubio comes back and shows he is healthy. Then they will shop him. So, why not pick up Wolters in the meantime? That is what I am hoping at least
    nah I couldn't find anything before when I looked, so generally means no you can't doesn't it?

Speaking of 10 day contracts - looks like Clippers going to give Miller one.

Also who knows if the Pel’s will make the playoffs anyway.
    I’d rather try out a 23 year old who could potentially be around for years to come than a vet who will sign elsewhere next season.

We can get him in the offseason if we really want him anyway.
    Last edited by AUSSIE_PELICAN; 01-13-2015 at 09:43 PM.

Random note......Watching Cavs vs Suns.....Gerald Green is not it the Suns future plans.....IMO......His minutes are dwindling by the game..

Random note......Watching Cavs vs Suns.....Gerald Green is not it the Suns future plans.....IMO......His minutes are dwindling by the game..
    Did Lebron push Blatt?

Mo's trade value went through the rough when he scored 52 points today

Quote Originally Posted by PeliKhan View Post
    Did Lebron push Blatt?
    yes...to get him away from a potential tech

So does 2 out 2 in mean the Pelicans still have one roster spot still available?
    Season ticket holder since 2002
    Mostly just trying to satisfy my OCD tendencies by getting to 3,000 posts

Quote Originally Posted by DRDJ1 View Post
    So does 2 out 2 in mean the Pelicans still have one roster spot still available?
    Yes....

Quote Originally Posted by Pantazis76 View Post
    Mo's trade value went through the rough when he scored 52 points today
    I have seen this mentioned several times tonight, and I do not believe this to be true at all. First, if people saw the shots he hit, they will understand it is a fluke night.

Second, no GM would shift their value of a player based on 1 game, good or bad. They are not prisoners of the moment - they would look at an entire body of work. He is worth no more tomorrow than he was yesterday IMO

I have seen this mentioned several times tonight, and I do not believe this to be true at all. First, if people saw the shots he hit, they will understand it is a fluke night.

Second, no GM would shift their value of a player based on 1 game, good or bad. They are not prisoners of the moment - they would look at an entire body of work. He is worth no more tomorrow than he was yesterday IMO
    Absolutely this ^

Not sure about the Wolters-Mekel comparison. Wolters is way smoother and a much better scorer/finisher. Mekel didn't impress. Shocked that dude is an NBA player.
    Not sure about the Wolters-Jimmer comparison either. Despite his well-documented shooting struggles this year, Jimmer is a pure shooter; Wolters not so much.
    I mean, they are all three white, but they all have different game.
    Anyway, I like the signing.
    Last edited by hambone29; 01-13-2015 at 11:53 PM.

The Jimmer Wolters comparison is because both led the NCAA in scoring during their final year. They both "played" point in college, however neither has shown to have the ability to play it in the NBA.

The Mickel comparison comes from both of them being 10-day contracts, and that's about it.

I am with MM, no GM is going to change the value of a player after one amazing game. It was one game. Stocks and players are interchangeable. They can be hot one day, cold the next. No sound investor is going to buy a stock that went on a mad run up, and they aren't going to sell off when a stock suddenly free falls. Nobody is trading a 1st or a proven quantity for Mo Williams, a guy who hasn't been relevant since Obama's 2nd year in office.
    If you Jimmer it, they will come.

Those highlights make him look like Tim Hardaway.

Dat floater doe!

Why did Milwaukee get rid of him?

So in a vacuum we gave up Rivers and Smith for Wolters, Q-Pon and a 2nd.

Not bad.

Any idea if there was any protection on that 2nd pick?

Quote Originally Posted by Perth_Hornet View Post
    Those highlights make him look like Tim Hardaway.

Dat floater doe!

Why did Milwaukee get rid of him?
    To sign Kenyon Martin

Tbf, the Bucks have been playing good ball. It looks like Kidd got his first time HC jitters out in Brooklyn, at the expense of Prokorov and KG.

I wish Parker had stayed healthy as they probably could have been great dancing partners for a 2-3 seed in the eastern Conf. Playoffs.

also since when did nelson get traded to the Nuggets.. maybe we can wait 30days till he can be traded again i believe and score him along with chandler

Quote Originally Posted by billfromfinance View Post
    nah I couldn't find anything before when I looked, so generally means no you can't doesn't it?

Speaking of 10 day contracts - looks like Clippers going to give Miller one.

And yet they cut Joe Ingles before the season started.

Why don't they try and get Chandler?

The New Orleans Pelicans are "zeroing in" on signing Nate Wolters on a 10-day contract.

Wolters cleared waivers after being released by the Milwaukee Bucks.

The Pelicans were previously considering Mike James and Gal Mekel before Wolters became available.

MARC STEIN/ESPN

Read more at http://basketball.realgm.com/wiretap...AcSA6wXoIZ3.99
    Interesting

Glad that you guys have given Nate a shot. I hope he will be able to stick. For whatever reason, he never impressed Kidd in Milwaukee and could never crack that rotation. His biggest issue there was he was used as a SG almost exclusively except in 3 guard sets where he would play a small forward role. Nates experience is at a PG and hopefully that is where they will use him.

Nate is a gym rat so he will work hard to impress. When he went too pre-draft camp he chose to change his stroke to give it a higher release. He started out very slowly with the three ball as a rookie but did improve to over 40 percent the second half of last year on limited attempts. At the end on last year he broke his hand and that has also set his shooting back some. Right now I think it is a confidence issue.

Not great speed in defense, but very good BBIQ, understands positioning and angles. On offense he is a willing passer, sometimes too much so. Is a pretty good finisher who favors a floater in the lane and understands the PNR. He takes care of the ball and has great handles.

Hope he gets a chance before his 10 days are up, although I think I will scream if he is put in as a 2 behind Jimmer at point!

Thread Information